Television shows that were particularly hard on the main character

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Television shows that were particularly hard on the main character

Blog Entries

Default Television shows that were particularly hard on the main character

I've seen many TV shows in my life, and looking back, many of them were particularly hard on the Main character in some way. Sometimes they give them less than admirable personality traits, and then they throw one bad experience after another at them, they even go as far as to make nearly every one of those bad experiences the main character's own fault in some way, which i personally feel really down plays the hero aspect of their character by a lot. Often times, the writers even go as far as to make every other character in show seem more mature than the main character in some way, and that really doesn't seem fair.

The following is a list of shows that i feel fall under the topic's category:

American Dragon: Jake Long
    Avatar (if only to a degree, but that's still plenty)
    Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (to a degree, but again, more than enough)
    Ben 10
    Code Lyoko
    He-man (both versions)
    Jackie Chan Adventures (more of Jade Chan than anyone else)
    Justice League (if only to a degree)
    Pokemon
    Scooby Doo (Fred Jones in recent years)
    Secret Saturdays
    Spider-Man (any version)
    Thundercats (2011)
    Wizards of Waverly Place
    Young Justice (if only to a degree)
    Zevo-3 (Kewl-Breeze more than anyone else)

I myself am a budding writer, so that might have something to do with this issue, but another attribute might be that i have a very active imagination. That causes me to often remember certain scenes from certain shows and movies and then reimagine them in ways that make the characters look foolish, selfish, mean or stupid, or any combination of the four, and that just doesn't sit well with me. What's worse, these thoughts are often brought upon me when i think of the following forms of dialogue:

Fairy Tales are real
    Fairy Tales
    Just doing my job
    Because that's my job
    I barely know anything
    How the Real world works
    Real World

Maybe i'm starting to lose my mind, but at any rate, this kind of thinking keeps me from enjoying certain other things, particularly the holidays. Anyone want to comment on my issue

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Television shows that were particularly hard on the main character

The Pokemon anime in the most definite sense, sometimes it can focus too much on Ash, other times it completely pushes him off to the side in favor of other characters. Best Wishes, especially the later episodes, essentially tended to push Ash to the side and turned it into "The Iris Show occasionally starring Ash Ketchum".
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Blog Entries

Follow Niji on Tumblr

Courage the Cowardly Dog, in the sense that Courage was constantly degraded, abused, and tortured. Even the name of the show calls him a coward, even though in every episode he risks his life facing horrifying scenarios to save his family.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." ~Ambrose Redmoon

Keep on kicking butt, Yuzu!

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Srebak View Post
    Ben 10
    Code Lyoko
    He-man (both versions)
    Pokemon
    Secret Saturdays
    Spider-Man (any version)
    Thundercats (2011)
    Wizards of Waverly Place
    If you find those examples at all upsetting then I certainly wouldn't recommend Curb Your Enthusiasm...

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    Ben 10
    Code Lyoko
    He-man (both versions)
    Pokemon
    Secret Saturdays
    Spider-Man (any version)
    Thundercats (2011)
    Wizards of Waverly Place
    If you find those examples at all upsetting then I certainly wouldn't recommend Curb Your Enthusiasm...
    That or It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Blog Entries

Thundercats (2011)
    Yeah, tell me about it. Lion-O thinks he gets a girl (Cheetara) until said girl kisses his adopted brother. Lion-O thinks he gets another girl (Pumyra) until she betrays him and he discovers that she was a plant sent in by Mumm-Ra. Jeez, there's kicking someone while they're down and then there's Lion-O's life. And we'll never know how things may end up for the poor Cat either: from what I hear, no one is working on the show at all. =/

Team Battle Maison
    Claimed: Golett ~ Iron Fist ~ Shadow Punch ~ Big Pearl ~ Light Clay.
    GPX+

Blog Entries

Follow Ebail on Tumblr

Married With Children - Al Bundy

I won't even bother to explain.
    3DS FC: 1134-7255-2841 - White2 FC: 1765-1583-4731
    Some sort of blog about me - Fanclub

Blog Entries

As i've said many times before, i have a very active imagination and in recent years that has backfired on me greatly. Now whenever i try to think about TV shows and movies that i like, my mind just imagines them in ways that i don't approve of and make the characters do things that make them look bad or stupid. It's very disconcerting.

Recently, American Dragon: Jake Long and The Secret Saturdays have both fallen into this category and the worst part was that both shows were already particularly hard on the main characters (Jake Long and Zak Saturday)

Seriously, looking back, it felt like the show was going out of its way to make sure that every day of the lives of these characters was a disaster waiting to happen. Nearly every problem that was encountered in either show was the result of something the hero did and honestly, i think that downplays the hero aspect of their character. Fixing a mess that you caused isn't as admirable as fixing a mess that you had no hand in, yet choose to fix anyway because someone asked you for your help.

Furthermore, in both shows, it seemed like Jake and Zak were always being criticized by everyone around them. Whenever they had an idea or felt a certain way, it always seemed like those around them were telling them that they were wrong. Jake Long is always being criticized by his Grandfather, by his parents, his little sister, even his friends, Trixie and Spud, are made to look more mature by comparison. Zak is always being corrected by his parents, even his friends, Ulraj and Wadi are always correcting him somehow, not even Fisk can ever be on the wrong side with Zak. Why go through all the trouble of making sure that every other character in the show is more matured and adult than the main character?

I've tried to think about the positives of both shows, but the negatives always seem to stick with me more. This is a big problem for me, since these thoughts continue to haunt me until some other bad thought takes over, and at this current time frame, that distracts me from the Holiday season.
    Any one want to comment? And if you do, please tell me that there were occassions where the listed problems weren't the case

Fairy Queen Kaori's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Kaori on Tumblr

Guys, let's keep things in perspective here. It's an interesting topic, but let's not take it so seriously and personally. Unfortunately, this is just the format many young people can enjoy and relate to - feeling like an underdog or like everything is your fault and then having to overcome that. It's natural that some shows, especially those geared towards this age group, would follow such a pattern. Not many shows are or have to be a literary/storytelling masterpiece.

I personally feel it resonates the most within Courage the Cowardly Dog, yes. I just always felt so sorry for that little guy, everything seemed against him. He literally was the underdog.
    Dolce and Niji like this.

[12:40:02 AM] Karamazov: I call Kaori the chick who could crush me under her tits
    ~ Proud Head of Entertainment, Inc. ~ Fanclub ~ Come join the conversation in the Entertainment, Inc. General Chat Thread!~

Blog Entries
    Add Sunburn on Facebook
    Follow Sunburn on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    Curb Your Enthusiasm is a great example of this, and hilariously so. Much of the entertainment value of the show derives from the horrible things happening to the Larry, sometimes as a result of his brutally honest personality. It's not for everyone, and while I generally don't like to see main characters beaten down, Curb is one of my favorite comedies.

To a certain extent, Arrested Development does this with Michael Bluth (and also George Michael), and sometimes Seinfeld with George Costanza.

maglev maglev's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sunburn View Post
    To a certain extent, Arrested Development does this with Michael Bluth (and also George Michael), and sometimes Seinfeld with George Costanza.
    Damn, you stole my answer :P

And The Sopranos, Tony gets a lot of shit handed to him over the series.
    maglev is invisible

Blog Entries

One Foot in the Grave is another great example. A lot of classic British sitcoms revolve around distinctly non-heroic losers who cannot, for the life of them, catch a break, but I don't think any of them had it harder than Victor Meldrew...

Follow bubbie on Tumblr

breaking bad, dexter and lost are all excellent examples too.

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

The main characters of Fawlty Towers, Father Ted and Black Books, to name a few. The gits all had it coming, of course.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Winterdaze View Post
    The main characters of Fawlty Towers, Father Ted and Black Books, to name a few. The gits all had it coming, of course.
    Personally, I think that Father Larry Duff had it slightly worse than Ted himself. Except when Ted was having to entertain Bishop Brennan, of course - he was terrifying. :p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast