Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Sonic Boom: New Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

Default Sonic Boom: New Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon

Source: SEGA Blog | Sonic Boom (Working Title) – A New Animated Series Coming Fall 2014
    Sonic the Hedgehog, the iconic video game character who has brought his trademark speed and attitude to four TV series and more than 70 video games, is returning to television in his first-ever CG animated series in the fall 2014. The action packed comedy series aimed at children 6-11 will debut first on Cartoon Network in the U.S. and on CANAL J and GULLI in France, with a global rollout to follow. The initial order of 52 eleven-minute episodes is co-produced by SEGA of America Inc. and Genao Productions.

Sonic Boom is a character-driven comedy that leaves a trail of robot wreckage in its smoldering wake. The series centers on Sonic, his best friend and sidekick, Tails, their never-ending search for adventure, and their battles with Sonic’s arch-nemesis, Dr. Eggman. Rounding out the ensemble are fan favorites Knuckles and Amy Rose, plus a rogue’s gallery of enemies—some familiar to Sonic fans and some brand-new.
    So, who's excited for this? I certainly am for one thing, I just hope it's better than Sonic X at least.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Blog Entries
    Add Spyspotter on MySpace

Default Re: Sonic Boom: New Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon

Most shows based on video games tend to be awful. Check out the Mario one for instance, though one could say it's so bad it's good. Other examples include the Zelda one and the newer Rabbids Invasion. Plus, add that to the fact that Sonic Underground was awful, and CN itself is going downhill...

But then again, most of the shows that I mentioned are old and this show isn't made by the morons who made Rabbids Invasion, so this could go either way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spyspotter View Post
    Most shows based on video games tend to be awful. Check out the Mario one for instance, though one could say it's so bad it's good. Other examples include the Zelda one and the newer Rabbids Invasion. Plus, add that to the fact that Sonic Underground was awful, and CN itself is going downhill...

But then again, most of the shows that I mentioned are old and this show isn't made by the morons who made Rabbids Invasion, so this could go either way.
    It's made by a former writer of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, as well as a few other people who have had experience with writing shows before, so there is a chance it can be good, but there's also a chance it can be very bad. Remember that the show isn't out yet, so it shouldn't be judged at this point. I honestly hope its better than Sonic X, because, while it had some good ideas, it was mostly a rotten egg, primarily when it focused on the reviled Chris Thorndyke, a character who is probably as despised as Jar Jar Binks at this point.

I do agree that many video game shows (and to an extent, video game movies) tend to be awful, but I hear the reason is because video games are one of the hardest mediums to adapt, which is why I worry about the Assassins Creed and Half Life movies that are said to be in production right now. Say what you will about the Pokemon anime, but there do exist GOOD video game shows, like SatAM Sonic, Earthworm Jim and Megaman NT Warrior (specifically the Japanese version of that show), but most of the time we get some really crappy ones like Sonic Underground and that Zelda cartoon (well EXCUUUUUUUSE me princess!) or so-bad-it's-good ones like the Super Mario Bros. Super Show and Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog (the one used in Youtube Poops all the time).

This show in particular has a chance of being amazing, but there is a chance of it being abysmal, but it can't be as bad as Sonic Underground was...
    Dolce and Applejack1973 like this.

My DA account

Blog Entries
    Follow ghaskan On Twitter
    Follow ghaskan on Tumblr

I remember loving Sonic X as a kid, although most people say it was kinda bad, and I'm sure I wouldn't enjoy it as much now, but I've always had a thing for the Sonic universe, so I'm a bit excited for it and I'm certainly willing to give it a go if it turns out to be good - although I'm not sure how I feel about Knuckles new silhouette. :p

Blog Entries

Follow FinalArcadia on Tumblr Visit FinalArcadia's Youtube Channel

I'm not sure how to feel about this, honestly. I'm probably in the minority of people who liked Sonic X and still adore it, and that was because I felt it was able to pull off being light-hearted and comedic while also having genuinely strong, more emotional moments (like the latter parts of the SA2 adaptation, and the last couple episodes of the final season in particular).

This new show being instantly labelled as a comedy makes me worried, plus those silhouettes and the fact that it's animated with CGI (though the games have stunning opening cutscenes and all and graphics, I don't think that will translate well to a lesser, TV-sized budget). It'll definitely be worth at least a try though, especially when it's been years since Sonic X ended. And it might be good for people to help their younger siblings get into the series, watching it together.

aww, no Sonic Underground love in here, I actually enjoyed that one and all its cheesy songs too, LOL

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm not particularly excited for this one mainly because my expectations have been set so low because of what Sonic games and cartoons have done in the past. The fact that this is supposed to be a comedy series worries me even more, first of all because comedy isn't particularly an important element in the series' writing and because recent games have been terrible with comedy.

Blog Entries

As much as I love Sonic the Hedgehog I probably won't like this cartoon, however that doesn't mean I won't give it a chance before judging it! I really don't like Knuckles' design in that silhouette but since it is just a teaser image i'm sure his design will change in the final product. (I at least hope so, it's just horrible looking. He's not supposed to have fingers and be that big and bulky. >_<) It'll probably be similar to Teen Titans Go, which is an okay show but meh. We'll just have to wait and see, I also don't like CGI shows but it'll work fine with a Sonic cartoon though IMO.
    :V

I am also Steve Smith! Toxsa Dalton's Avatar

Yeah, I agree. Like I didn't even enjoy that Pac-Man show on Disney XD. Lame ratings? Uh... I think so.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenfreak View Post
    As much as I love Sonic the Hedgehog I probably won't like this cartoon, however that doesn't mean I won't give it a chance before judging it! I really don't like Knuckles' design in that silhouette but since it is just a teaser image i'm sure his design will change in the final product. (I at least hope so, it's just horrible looking. He's not supposed to have fingers and be that big and bulky. >_<) It'll probably be similar to Teen Titans Go, which is an okay show but meh. We'll just have to wait and see, I also don't like CGI shows but it'll work fine with a Sonic cartoon though IMO.
    Given the nature of Teen Titans Go (I still prefer the original Titans show) and the fact that CN keeps cancelling their action shows in favor of kiddish toyetic ones, it wouldn't be a surprise if Sonic Boom was like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxsa Dalton View Post
    Yeah, I agree. Like I didn't even enjoy that Pac-Man show on Disney XD. Lame ratings? Uh... I think so.
    I haven't seen much of Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures, but I hear people aren't that happy with it, to which I hope Sonic Boom is something people will like.

My DA account

Trophies

Follow Pokelova on Tumblr

Two trailers have been released. The cartoon trailer:

Looks great, I'll definitely be tuning in.

And the game trailer (which has to be a link because I can't embed two videos). The character models look kinda crappy. Other than that, I have nothing to say about it.
    Last edited by Pokelova; 6th February 2014 at 04:11 PM.
    Pokelova's Shiny Collection

Blog Entries

I found the designs on Tumblr before I watched the video posted by @Pokelova above:

And my response: Wut..... Wut..... NO! SAWNIK HAS BLU ARMZ! WUT IS DIS?!?!>?!?!? THIS IS UNACCEPTIBLE! UGJHMIOHUIPJ)IO!!!1111

Just kidding! I actually quite like the new designs; the Sonic characters have been criticized for looking too similar, but now that they change the designs to be more unique and mature. I personally like seeing a refreshing change for once, because for over the years, SEGA had rarely ever changed Sonic's looks. My favorite design is Tails, he looks very interesting and unique and fitting for his character. My only criticism of the designs is why are there so many bandages; I know they could be going for a more "rogue" look with the characters, a call-back to the more rebellious Sonic of the early days of the franchise, though I don't see there being a real point to them.

I hear from people that these are only for Sonic Boom and they will go back to the older designs in the next game, but if the game and cartoon become really successful, they could be the permanent designs for the Sonic characters for years to come, but we have to wait and see.

My DA account

Trophies

Follow Pokelova on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    And my response: Wut..... Wut..... NO! SAWNIK HAS BLU ARMZ! WUT IS DIS?!?!>?!?!? THIS IS UNACCEPTIBLE! UGJHMIOHUIPJ)IO!!!1111
    Yeah, I don't get why people are making a big deal about the arms. I think they look better this way, and it's such a minor thing anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel
    I hear from people that these are only for Sonic Boom and they will go back to the older designs in the next game, but if the game and cartoon become really successful, they could be the permanent designs for the Sonic characters for years to come, but we have to wait and see.
    I recall reading somewhere that Sega intends this to be a reboot of the series, so all future games will have these designs, and past games won't be part of the same canon.
    Robo-Floatzel likes this.
    Pokelova's Shiny Collection

Don't you worry, child Ice Ricky's Avatar
    Follow Ice Ricky On Twitter
    Follow Ice Ricky on Tumblr

So looking at Knuckles's design more (and especially after watching the game trailer), I guess I can understand why his upper body is so huge compared to his stick legs, but still--his legs just look so SKINNY. I would like his design more if his legs were just a bigger to help support that upper body weight. Otherwise, I like the re-designs, especially Tails's design. But I'm not sure why Amy is giving those sultry/seductive eyes; hopefully that's not a permanent part of her design.

I'm trying not to get excited about the games 'cause I don't want to be disappointed with the end result (I'm looking at you, Sonic Lost World), but I like how they're planning to bring more exploration into the games. That was one of my favorite aspects of Sonic Adventure, and I'm interested to see how that plays out in this game.

Also, I don't think the main theme for Sonic Boom was ever officially released anywhere; you can hear part of it in this video. (Check out the 6:09 and the 7:07 marks.)

Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel
    I recall reading somewhere that Sega intends this to be a reboot of the series, so all future games will have these designs, and past games won't be part of the same canon.[/QUOTE]

So I've read that the current Sonic canon and Sonic Boom are going to be parallel Sonic series from now on, especially since the Sonic Boom franchise will not be released in Japan (at least for now; check out the last paragraph specifically). I think the idea is to have a Sonic that appeals mostly to Japan (and to international fans of the series up to this point), and then a different Sonic that appeals mostly to... well, North America and France for now.

Blog Entries

Follow GastonGibus on Tumblr Visit GastonGibus's Youtube Channel

I'm coming at this as a person who has never been an avid fan of Sonic the Hedgehog, so make of it what you will.

No wait, let me don my flame-retardent suit... there, now I'm ready.

Another year, another new Sonic the Hedgehog game. I'm surely going to get flamed for this, but I honestly feel like Sega is in denial. They just refuse to let this franchise die in peace. They constantly attempt to resurrect the franchise, but fail every time (I'm looking at you, Sonic Unleashed). Now, I said I wasn't an avid fan, but I never had anything against Sonic. The original Sonic the Hedgehog for Sega Genesis was great, as were subsequent games on the platform. Everything after that? Not so much, and it just seems to get progressively worse with every new title they release.

The TV shows I can't comment on, as I've never watched them. I stopped watching TV a long time ago, so I've never been up-to-date with anything new (I haven't even seen Breaking Bad, so that should let you know how much I pay attention to TV today). I will say the new designs are... strange, to say the least. Sonic and Amy look like they're going through puberty, Knuckles is clearly taking steroids, and Tails is... well, Tails design is actually pretty cool, though not much has changed.

Obviously, we'll have to wait and see if this game delivers, but judging from Sega's past performance records, I don't have high hopes. Every attempt to reinvigorate the franchise has ended up with mediocre results at best, and sometimes I kind of wish Sega would just let the Sonic franchise die already.

EDIT: Okay, super pet-peeve time, but why is Amy the only one wearing clothes?! I have no problem with anthropomorphic animal characters not wearing clothes, because, well, they're animals. But for the love of Arceus, if you're going to give one of them clothes, be consistent and give them all clothes! When one of them is wearing clothes and the others aren't, it gives me the impression the others are naked.
    Last edited by GastonGibus; 8th February 2014 at 10:01 AM.
    "How can you read this? There's no pictures!"

|No one writes like Gaston!|
    |It's Electric: Cranking it to Eleven || A New Life - For Better or Worse|

some kind of madness TwilightBlade's Avatar Moderator

Tails and Amy look great, Sonic didn't need the scarf to let everyone know he likes adventures and is a drifter like Nathan Drake, and Knuckles's characteristic is just too exaggerated. You don't have to be huge to be strong. As for why the guys' don't put on pants, well:

Rafei, who previously worked on such landmark game franchises as "Crash Bandicoot" and "Jak and Daxter" at Naughty Dog, noted the most challenging aspect of taking on a "Sonic" game was illustrating the character's signature speed without sacrificing new gameplay elements. The other major issue? Figuring out just what the heck Sonic is allowed to wear.

"The clothing argument was a big one," said Rafei, leaning back in his chair in Big Red Button's conference room. "The most surreal moment in my life occurred when I was conveying with passion through a translator to the 'Sonic' team in Japan why Sonic needed to wear pants. Looking back at it, I'm glad they didn't go for it. Sonic wouldn't really be Sonic with pants on."
    Source

Clothes aren't feasible on a character that can run the speed of sound anyway. Their designs were updated for the sake of change, I suppose.

Can't say I'll be getting a WiiU anytime soon, but I am excited about the TV series. The preview was pretty funny.
    trade station
    art gallery
    ❝In this world, there are things you have to protect even if your hands get stained with blood.❞

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast