So, uh, What's Your Favourite Album of All Time Ever?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: So, uh, What's Your Favourite Album of All Time Ever?

maglev maglev's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default So, uh, What's Your Favourite Album of All Time Ever?

So what do you think is yours? The one you can see yourself listening to for the rest of your life? The album that challenged your perspective on beauty?

For me it's Liumin. When I heard this album, I knew then and there that this was the best thing I've ever heard. I was completely taken away with all these sounds. Words could not, and still cannot describe how beautiful I find this album. A masterpiece in documenting the sounds of life.

And here's a video of the album following a train journey.

So, how about you?
    garrison-san and Winterdaze like this.
    maglev is invisible

Don't you worry, child Ice Ricky's Avatar
    Follow Ice Ricky On Twitter
    Follow Ice Ricky on Tumblr

Default Re: So, uh, What's Your Favourite Album of All Time Ever?

I'm pretty sure this is my third or fourth time trying to post something in this thread because I was torn between two albums--does it really only have to be one? XD But after thinking it over, I finally made my decision: Ashlee Simpson's Autobiography.

Now "objectively" speaking (I personally don't believe in objectivity, but sure okay), it's not the greatest album ever, and I'm not here to argue that it is. But before Autobiography, I never really cared about music. At first music was just something that came out of the radio in people's car, or something that was played during a video with whacked out special effects and called a "music video" on MTV. It wasn't until this album that I realized just how powerful music could be, and how you could use music to inspire someone, to really connect with people, and to help someone get through those rough patches in life that come up every so often.

Without getting into too much detail, this album was released around the same time I was bullied in middle school. And let me tell you, being bullied in middle school was not fun, especially since my "friends" at the time weren't really my friends and actually made the situation kinda worse. (Well, to be fair some of them were actual friends who tried to help me out as much as they could, but I digress.) And middle school was just a hard time because I was really depressed and there were some suicidal thoughts going through my head then and I just really wanted someone to tell me that things were going to get better in the future and that it was all going to be okay. And, in its own way, Autobiography did just that.

Now, I'm not going to say that this album is the absolute single only reason why I am alive today or anything like that, but it definitely left a mark on me. And it was obviously the first time music actually meant something to me--since putting that CD into my CD player and hitting the play button, music has been a very important part of my life.

So yes. Ashlee Simpson's Autobiography is quite possibly my favorite album of all time ever (at least for now, but probably for forever).

(BTW, my other choice was the album-but-not-album The Fame Monster by Lady Gaga.)
    maglev likes this.

*makes list* Well, there are a few. I like Feeling Strangely Fine by Semisonic, (What's The Story) Morning Glory? by Oasis, Nevermind by Nirvana, One By One by Foo Fighters...I guess my favorite out of these four is One By One. People always say it's the worst Foos album, but it's my favorite. I'm kind of partial to it because "Times Like These" was my first Foo Fighters song. I love all of it, though. Except the two songs that get kind of repetitive, but yeah.

^listen and be amazed^
    of course we all know unova is the best region ever
    black: 3097 1144 1525
    white 2: 4342 6596 9987

Blog Entries

Follow GastonGibus on Tumblr Visit GastonGibus's Youtube Channel

I'm probably in the minority here, but my favorite album?

Ashes of the Wake by Lamb Of God.

Now, I know what you're thinking. "Gibs, how can a screamo heavy metal album be considered beautiful?"

Well, obviously, people are going to have different definitions of beauty, but this album has been, and always will be one of my all time favorites. Very rarely has there been an album where I can genuinely say "I love every song on this album," and Ashes of the Wake is one of the few albums. Every song on it is just as relentless and powerful as the last, and I love every second of it.

What I like about this album is that, unlike other heavy metal bands with lyrical content consisting of "death, destruction, DECAAAAAAAAY," the lyrics here are actually intelligent and coherent. Reading them without the music comes across as poetry, as least in my opinion.

Lyrics from the song "Hourglass:"

Privileged, a chosen few
    Blessed with our time in hell
    Witness a divine vision, the day we all fell still.
    Rapture of the dying age, a shattered hourglass
    Wrath of the warring gods and soon this too shall pass.

It's only getting worse, not worth a moment's regret
    Each dawn another curse, every breath a twisting blade
    What will be left behind in the ashes of the wake?
    An ill wind blows this way, the edge of the envelope burns
    Forbearance and my vengeance, payment for your intent
    Fear and death in the wings, in thrall of those fallen from grace
    Petty is as petty does, witness the mass disgrace.
    It always gets me when heavy metal bands can have meaningful, well-written lyrics that are just as raw and powerful as the music. It's not just violent lyrics for the sake of violent lyrics; there's a message being expressed that's more than just "everybody mosh and go crazy for no reason." It's heavy and raw, like the genre it is a part of, but it's also more than that I feel. It's politically charged and it has a message to it.

The recording is excellent; Randy Blythe just has this vocal style that is unique to the band. All of the instrumentation is superb, the songs are all heavy and amazing, and gosh I just can't get over it. I can't even point to any specific songs on it that I like the most, because in my opinion, they're all just amazing.

If you aren't afraid to delve into mosh-pit, you can listen to the album below.
    Last edited by GastonGibus; 12th March 2014 at 09:30 PM.
    Axe to Fall likes this.
    "How can you read this? There's no pictures!"

|No one writes like Gaston!|
    |It's Electric: Cranking it to Eleven || A New Life - For Better or Worse|

Blog Entries

Hard to choose but I'd go with 11.11 by Regina Spektor. It was the first album I ever listened to all the way through and can say I like every single song on it. Plus it inspired me to finally learn how to play an instrument. I don't listen to it much nowadays since it's one of those albums you have to be in the right mood for. It's not the kind of thing you'd play at a party and most Regina Spektor fans probably don't consider it her best album at all.

If I had to pick a runner up I'd go with Beautiful Freak by The Eels.

Blog Entries

Follow Oswin on Tumblr

Either Pinkerton by Weezer, Wish by the Cure, Only Revolutions by Biffy Clyro, Doolittle by Pixies, Tourist History by Two Door Cinema Club, Ten by Pearl Jam or any RHCP album with Fruciante.

I tried to keep the list as small as possible but I can't think of one song I don't like from any of those albums.

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

I'd probably have to go with Fever Ray's eponymous debut album. I've always been a huge fan of Karin Dreijer and her first solo project was just love at first listen.

The special 10th anniversary edition of Air's Moon Safari comes in at a very close second.

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

For me, it's the fourth self-titled album by Peter Gabriel (better known by its unofficial name, "Security"). Most Peter Gabriel albums have this haunting, sinister quality which always appeals to me, but listening to this one in particular makes me feel as if I'm wandering through an unending desert and slowly going delirious with heat and confusion. It's immensely gripping stuff.

Honorable mention goes to William Shatner's "The Transformed Man", which got me through some difficult times.
    Last edited by garrison-san; 13th March 2014 at 09:29 AM.

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Radiohead's Kid A. It gives me a feeling that no other record quite makes it to; I'd call it "womb-like". It makes me feel secure and at peace. The only other record that comes close to this for me is Sigur Ros's (), so that's an honorable mention.

maglev maglev's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by no_way_back View Post
    I guess my favorite out of these four is One By One.
    I'm not too into Foo Fighters, But I do think they have some god songs/They are a good band, but not a great band for me personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by GastlyGibus View Post
    Ashes of the Wake by Lamb Of God.
    I heard one of their albums when i was very into metal, probably not this one, but I enjoyed it enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Hard to choose but I'd go with 11.11 by Regina Spektor.
    I don't think I've ever given her a go. I remember years ago one of her songs came on the radio when I was traveling with family. It was nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oswin View Post
    Either Pinkerton by Weezer, Wish by the Cure, Only Revolutions by Biffy Clyro, Doolittle by Pixies, Tourist History by Two Door Cinema Club, Ten by Pearl Jam or any RHCP album with Fruciante.
    My choice would be Doolittle, still haven't gotten around to buying athe CD of it though haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterdaze View Post
    I'd probably have to go with Fever Ray's eponymous debut album. I've always been a huge fan of Karin Dreijer and her first solo project was just love at first listen.
    Not heard that in years! Might have to get round to hearing it again soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    For me, it's the fourth self-titled album by Peter Gabriel (better known by its unofficial name, "Security").
    Is he they guy that does Sledghammer? That's a nice song.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Pschitt View Post
    Radiohead's Kid A. It gives me a feeling that no other record quite makes it to; I'd call it "womb-like". It makes me feel secure and at peace. The only other record that comes close to this for me is Sigur Ros's (), so that's an honorable mention.
    hipster

The Dimension Witch Dolce's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dolce On Twitter
    Follow Dolce on Tumblr Visit Dolce's Youtube Channel

All the Kidz Bop

But for me it's probably the Spice Girl's Greatest Hits, or Nelly Furtado's Loose which is a close second. It's hard enough narrowing down my choices with my musical tastes.

IGN: Dolce, 3DS FC: 4554-1270-5039
    Entertainment, Inc.Global Trade Station
    "There is no such thing as a coincidence in this world. There is only the inevitable."

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Maglev View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    For me, it's the fourth self-titled album by Peter Gabriel (better known by its unofficial name, "Security").
    Is he they guy that does Sledghammer? That's a nice song.
    Yes, that one appears on the album "So".

This is probably the most well-known track from "Security":

King of the Puppy Mill. Axe to Fall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When Forever Comes Crashing by Converge.

When I first heard this album, I was simply blown away. It was insanely pissed-off, yet at times mournful and reflective. I happened to get the CD from a neighbor of mine when I was like, 14.
    Isolated so long, blighted by the first frost.
    Longing for the warmth of human touch.
    Through this wall of ice I can see you.

Le Choléra Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

Flood by They Might Be Giants or Abbey Road by the Beatles. Most solid work either ever put out.

The Dimension Witch Dolce's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dolce On Twitter
    Follow Dolce on Tumblr Visit Dolce's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Dolce View Post
    All the Kidz Bop

But for me it's probably the Spice Girl's Greatest Hits, or Nelly Furtado's Loose which is a close second. It's hard enough narrowing down my choices with my musical tastes.
    Forget this, I was naive in making my decision prematurely! >:C

But it's Electra Heart by Marina & The Diamonds. I have the biggest crush on this woman in all honesty, not only is her voice mesmerizing but she's a beauty as well. In fact I bought both of her albums (The Family Jewels and this one) in a day. And I was first introduced to Marina from a friend who linked me to Electra Heart, so while I adore Mowgli's Road, Oh No!, Numb, Hermit the Frog, and etc from the first album I can't deny that the second album is what made me fall for this amazing artist.

IGN: Dolce, 3DS FC: 4554-1270-5039
    Entertainment, Inc.Global Trade Station
    "There is no such thing as a coincidence in this world. There is only the inevitable."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast