Shows based on Video Games

Thread: Shows based on Video Games

Where is my Mega Zoroark? Bad Apple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Shows based on Video Games

Does anyone want to talk about them? They could be good, crappy, or just meh. The Pokemon Anime counts, but we already have a section for that, so hopefully we don't have to talk about it here.

So, what are your opinions on shows like the Mario Bros "Super Show" (which a lot of people think is total crap, along with the Legend of Zelda show), Sonic X/Sonic Underground/that other Sonic show/and that other sonic show based off the comics/that one sonic movie (GOOD LORD SONIC, STAHP IT!), Some other animes based on Japanese games, Halo Legends (does that even count?), and apparently they had shows for Mega Man and Fire Emblem.

Personally, I really love Halo Legends, and I'm watching Sonic X with my sister. So, just chat away... please...?
    "I see you have no soul. Want mine? It's black and gooey" -The Frozen Man

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Default Re: Shows based on Video Games

I have no memories of watching The Legend of Zelda cartoon as a young child, but a friend I knew in my undergrad days had a bootleg copy of the complete series, so at one point I did wind up sitting in on a marathon of the entire thing.

For the first two or three episodes, I was gritting my teeth at the appalling animation, irritating voice-overs and cornball humour. Around the fourth or fifth episode, I just gave up and surrendered to the sheer hilarity lurking within that sublime badness. I'm only human after all, and, while, objectively speaking, it's a terrible show, its entertaiment value is absolutely priceless. If Link's Steve Martin-pilfered catchphrase ("Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, Princess!") doesn't have you snickering uncontrollably every time you hear it, then you're maybe taking life just a little too seriously.

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

I have to admit, while the Zelda cartoon is indeed generally bad, it DID make me laugh quite a bit.

I DID think one of the episodes had an interesting plotline though. The one where Link is turned into a spirit and only Zelda can hear or see him because...she loves him. XD I actually used a similar idea in an RP, I liked it so much. But besides this, yeah, the plots were generally boring. xP

I've also seen Sonic X. In fact, this was the first I ever saw of the blue hedgehog at all, with no idea he actually originated in video games. It wasn't a bad show, I just didn't find it to be my type of cartoon.

There's more than one Mario cartoon, but I've seen a couple episodes from them. Don't remember which series. But it was rather awful.

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

How a TV series (or film) based on a video game usually fares is based on how much is changed between the games and the show. Some, like the Earthworm Jim cartoon and Megaman NT Warrior (specifically the original Japanese version), are genuinely good, while others like the Ruby Spears Mega Man cartoon and Sonic X, not so much.

The reason we now rarely see any animated series based on video games, especially in the 2000's, is because of how big and popular (and to an extent, terrible, depending on whom asked) the Pokemon anime is that nothing can stand up to it or even survive with it at the top of the food chain at this point. And as for movies, you can blame Uwe Boll's disasters of video game film "adaptations" for basically polluting the field enough that nobody is willing to adapt a video game into a film, as well as the Silent Hill and Resident Evil films. Even with an Assassins Creed film in the works (yes, they're making one), it's unknown how it will fair.

The thing is that video games are much harder to adapt to television and film than comic books and novels are, and as a result, things are always screwed up to some extent or changed to work better with the new medium.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Blog Entries

Follow kyogre545 on Tumblr Visit kyogre545's Youtube Channel

Everyone here has probably watched Pokémon, so I'm not going to include that. Anime wise, I used to watch Sonic X when it came on 4Kids and also Kirby Right Back at Ya!(but I still watch it sometimes). I've also seen the 2 episodes of Fire Emblem. I watched a few episodes of The Legend of Zelda cartoon last year, but I got lazy about watching it. I have to admit, it was kind of funny! XD I heard there's a movie based off of Shadow of the Colossus coming out one day..I hope it doesn't!!
    3DS Friend Code: 1864-8930-3851
    Pearl FC: 4081 2837 4838
    Heart Gold FC: 3868 0274 5933
    Black FC: 4212 3297 8953
    Brawl FC: 2148 8194 5141

Join my clubs! They are:ALL HAIL THE MAGIC CONCH, Swanna Fan Club, Sweets+Sugary things, W is for Wumbology, the Study of Wumbo!
    Y team: Delphox Talonflame Florges Aurorus Furfrou Dragalge
    Friend Safari: Metang Klefki Ferroseed

Blog Entries

Follow Booster the Gawd on Tumblr

I remember the old megaman one's weren't too bad. I say all the Tales anime were really well done. Also, Sonic X was decent. Until the introduced those aliens. I've heard mixed things on Parappa the rapper.