The Pop Music Thread - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: The Pop Music Thread

Default Re: The Pop Music Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Reila View Post
    I don't really know what exactly is pop music and what is isn't, but I listen to Lana Del Rey, Bruno Mars and Ne-Yo quite often.
    I really like Lana too. I've been a fan since Born To Die. Unfortunately it seems like most of the people who like her now are only jumping on her bandwagon because of the Summertime Sadness remix that was released. The song was essentially a flop before it got remixed and I heard it on the radio the other day and I cringed. I think it's really bad; the original was better, one of my favorite songs from her first studio album even though it charted badly. No offense to any of Lana's new fans of course. :)
    Reila and Sapphire like this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michonne View Post
    I really like Lana too. I've been a fan since Born To Die. Unfortunately it seems like most of the people who like her now are only jumping on her bandwagon because of the Summertime Sadness remix that was released. The song was essentially a flop before it got remixed and I heard it on the radio the other day and I cringed. I think it's really bad; the original was better, one of my favorite songs from her first studio album even though it charted badly. No offense to any of Lana's new fans of course. :)
    I wasn't aware a Summertime Sadness remix was released :o I too like the original version quite a lot, though it certainly isn't my favorite song of her!

I REEALLLY hate modern pop music. Pop died when Michael Jackson died. Now, all pop is is cheesy love/sex crap and body sellers.

But if I have to be specific about a certain song, I'd say Clarity by Zedd. that is the worst piece of shit anyone can even DARE to call "good" in all of eternity. And ya know what I REALLY hate? That I'm the only one that hates it. WHO CARES ABOUT JUSTIN BIEBER? YEAH HE SUCKS, BUT HE IS TEN MILLION TIMES BETTER THAN THAT CLARITY SONG!

I don't mean to offend anyone here, but I reeeallly don't like Pop. Rap is where it's at, imo. Although I hate the style of Rap fans. (The way they speak drives me psycho)
    Who's getting X? Who's getting Y?

Quote Originally Posted by Gardelade View Post
    But if I have to be specific about a certain song, I'd say Clarity by Zedd. that is the worst piece of shit anyone can even DARE to call "good" in all of eternity. And ya know what I REALLY hate? That I'm the only one that hates it. WHO CARES ABOUT JUSTIN BIEBER? YEAH HE SUCKS, BUT HE IS TEN MILLION TIMES BETTER THAN THAT CLARITY SONG!
    You hate Clarity? I really don't think the song is bad. It's a catchy dance song and it sounds a lot better than some other songs of the same genre imo. I'm not a Zedd fan, but I appreciate Clarity. It gets played like crazy here though; it's on every time I turn on the radio lol.
    Dolce likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Michonne View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardelade View Post
    You hate Clarity? I really don't think the song is bad. It's a catchy dance song and it sounds a lot better than some other songs of the same genre imo. I'm not a Zedd fan, but I appreciate Clarity. It gets played like crazy here though; it's on every time I turn on the radio lol.
    I really hate it because it's really redundant, the lyrics are awful, and the instrumentals are pretty awful too in my opinion.
    Who's getting X? Who's getting Y?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spyspotter View Post
    I actually prefer older pop, like Jackson 5, Village People, etc.
    Yeah, me too. Most of my favorite pop songs and artists are from the 80s. Yeah, total nostalgia over here.

I do however, enjoy Linkin Park and Disturbed but I don't know if that would be considered pop music.

Team Battle Maison
    Claimed: Golett ~ Iron Fist ~ Shadow Punch ~ Big Pearl ~ Light Clay.
    GPX+

Don't you worry, child Ice Ricky's Avatar
    Follow Ice Ricky On Twitter
    Follow Ice Ricky on Tumblr

I LOVE POP MUSIC! Some of my friends always joke that I'm the only one in the group who was born/raised in the right decade music-wise because current trends in music all seem to reflect my favorite genres/artists/etc. They couldn't be any more right!

Lately I've been obsessed with songs that simultaneously make me dance and depressed (weird combo, I know). Avicii's "Wake Me Up!", Swedish House Mafia's "Don't You Worry Child", Rihanna's "We Found Love", and Robyn's "Dancing on My Own" are some good examples of that. That being said, I love my feel-good upbeat songs as well--Lady Gaga's "Applause" is already one of the most played songs on my iPod, hahaha. Generally as long as the song has at-least passable lyrics and a good, catchy beat, I'm all for it.

maglev maglev's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

god i love this song.
    Ice Ricky, Kaori and Silverwynde like this.
    maglev is invisible

I kind of like pop music, but I see it as a very shallow genre. The only pop artist I actually respect is Lady Gaga, because she's much deeper than the others. Sure, she's a product, but a product with sheer talent. That woman has a powerful, good-sounding voice, and she plays the piano pretty damn well. Her lyrics also include some references that most people don't get. I do have to say she's kind of desperate for attention some times, though. But then again, if people don't pay attention to her, how is she going to keep going? That goes for absolutely every single artist. "A story doesn't exist until there's someone to listen".
    Michonne and GastonGibus like this.

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can't listen to Lady Gaga because of the bad memories her music digs up, but I'll concede that she's probably one of the more actually-talented pop stars working today.
    Michonne likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fabulush View Post

god i love this song.
    Madonna's got to be one of the few pop artists out there that I can say I enjoy. I've also developed a taste for The Fray and I blame the 2011 Transformers movie for that.

Team Battle Maison
    Claimed: Golett ~ Iron Fist ~ Shadow Punch ~ Big Pearl ~ Light Clay.
    GPX+

maglev maglev's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silverwynde View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fabulush View Post

god i love this song.
    Madonna's got to be one of the few pop artists out there that I can say I enjoy. I've also developed a taste for The Fray and I blame the 2011 Transformers movie for that.
    Madonna has two songs I absolutely adore. Vogue and Hung Up.
    maglev is invisible

Blog Entries

Follow Sapphire on Tumblr

I personally never did understand why so many people have such a strong hatred towards Pop. It's a genre like any other, it's just more exposed.

Anyway, I don't want to go on about it so instead I'll just mention my sweet bby Shakira and those honest hips of hers.

Yeah, I've liked other artists and there's quite a few I like more than her, but she was the first that actually got me writing and she's a stellar performer. Her voice is an acquired taste but her poetry (especially in Spanish) is hnnng. I'm really looking forward to 2014; it's already shaping up to be a great year for music.

Bulbapedia Editorial Board Zesty Cactus's Avatar Bulbapedia Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

the Zesty Cactus from about six years ago would be...disappointed, but i'm listening to a lot of pop now :V i was always an Avril Lavigne fan, been a Rihanna fan for a couple years now, and recently became a Miley Cyrus convert (as you may have guessed by the avatar). i also like a smattering of songs by other artists (Ke$ha, Nicki Minaj, Selena Gomez, but only a couple songs each) and the rest of my albums is still like punk and metal but those three are my big weaknesses XD

i am NOT a katy perry fan though :@ and i am rather indifferent to lady gaga.

Speaking of pop music, I watched the American Music Awards last night (well, parts of it). Katy Perry's performance was okay in terms of the visuals (the geisha theme was cool), but man, her voice was so off-key. I thought she would improve over time but her live vocals are always so grating imo. I loved Ariana Grande's performance as well as Rihanna's, although why the latter performed Diamonds instead of her current single is beyond me. Lady Gaga and R. Kelly's performance was great, probably the best one of the ARTPOP era even if it did seem more like a skit than a performance at the start.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast