Pixar Prequels/Sequels: Yea or Nay?

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Pixar sequels?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • I want more of them.

2 12.50%
  • I'm not a fan of the idea.

8 50.00%
  • I'm not fussed either way.

6 37.50%

Thread: Pixar Prequels/Sequels: Yea or Nay?

my OBE garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Default Pixar Prequels/Sequels: Yea or Nay?

With Monsters University currently in its theatrical release and Finding Dory recently confirmed, now seems like as good a time as any to bring up this issue.

Basically, how do you feel about Pixar's recent shift toward the sequelisation of their older films? With the aforementioned (and long-rumoured) Finding Nemo sequel now official, it seems safe to say that we're entering into a new wave for Pixar, one where the expansion of existing franchises is as much (if not greater) a priority as the creation of entirely original products. Whereas Dreamworks and Blue Sky have never had any qualms about milking their cash cows for all they're worth (who here wasn't totally sick of Shrek and Ice Age when they got round to their respective fourth instalments?), in the past Pixar seemed to indicate that they would only make sequels if they genuinely had a worthy story to tell. Toy Story 2 was originally intended as a direct-to-video B-project while the studio was working on A Bug's Life, but they were so willing to go that extra mile and make it the best film that it could be that it wound up receiving a theatrical release and was very well-received by critics and fans of the original. We shared their horror when Disney set up Circle 7 in the mid-00s, with the intention of making their own sequels to the Pixar films they retained the rights to, back when a split between the two companies seemed very likely (given that Disney was cheapening their own brand at the time with endless and utterly horrible direct-to-video sequels to their classics, there was little reason to believe that any good could come of it - although some people do reckon that their proposed Monsters Inc 2 sounded quite promising on paper).

When Toy Story 3 was released in 2010, it was also very well-received (I do consider it to be the weakest of the TS films, but there's still a lot that I enjoyed about it). Cars 2, however, while it made a handsome sum at the box office, pretty much failed with everyone who wasn't a die-hard fan of the original (which I wasn't, so personally I didn't bother with the sequel). Given how much Cars merchandise the Disney Store continues to shift, it's hard to shake the uneasy notion that Pixar made that particular sequel primarily to sell even more toys (John Lasseter's own comments on the matter don't exactly help). I haven't yet seen Monsters University, but the critical consensus seems to be that, while it's a good enough film in its own right, Pixar's days of being the undisputed boundary-pushers of Hollywood animation are almost certainly drawing to a close. And maybe that's fair enough, in a way- we couldn't reasonably expect Pixar to keep on topping themselves forever.

Now, I wouldn't describe myself as one of those rabid Pixar fans who believes that everything they touched prior to Cars 2 automatically turned to gold. As I mentioned, I wasn't a fan of the original Cars, nor did I care terribly much for A Bug's Life. But their strongest films - which for me would include Ratatouille, Wall-E and Up - truly were exceptional, and I will be sorry if films of their calibre do indeed become much more of a rarity. And I do feel that the majority of Pixar films are, like the majority of classic Disney films, perfectly self-contained and do not merit further instalments. I'm not exactly jumping out of my chair about the prospect of Finding Dory, and I am finding Pixar's sudden sequel-frenzy to be slightly (and worryingly) reminiscent of that aforementioned phase Disney went through for a while.

...speaking of which, later this summer we'll also be getting Planes, a Cars spin-off made not by Pixar, but by DisneyToon Studios, who were responsible for a lot of those DTV Disney sequels (an interesting development, considering all the controversy that had previously surrounded Circle 7). That already has a sequel of its own lined up for 2014. :p
    Last edited by garrison-san; 23rd June 2013 at 08:39 AM.

Moon Princess Kaori's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Kaori on Tumblr

Default Re: Pixar Prequels/Sequels: Yea or Nay?

While I don't exactly blame them for milking the cash cow, I definitely feel that unless your sequel was hugely requested and is a brilliant story in itself, you probably shouldn't make it (especially when it comes to films such as those of Pixar's creation, at least, though I do feel this way in most cases). Given that we are now really getting into a generation of kids who completely missed the earlier of these examples (the first Toy Story, Finding Nemo etc.) there is, in a way, twice the market in that these children can be introduced to the franchises but those of us who first grew up with them also tend to go flocking back sometimes - heck, I went to see Toy Story 3 on my sixteenth birthday effectively just for the nostalgia-based excitement. For that reason, it does make sense. But that doesn't make me any happier with the seeming increase in spinoffs/sequels as of late. I have to agree with you that a majority of Pixar's films are perfectly rounded by themselves and sequels for the sake of sequels could, in my opinion, almost be a bit of an insult to the originals.

[12:40:02 AM] Karamazov: I call Kaori the chick who could crush me under her tits
    ~ Proud Head of Entertainment, Inc. ~ Fanclub ~ alpacasso forums ~

Lions, Tigers, and Bears Mokoniki's Avatar

Follow Mokoniki on Tumblr Visit Mokoniki's Youtube Channel

Honestly, I'm terrified yet excited at the idea of Pixar making prequels and sequels. I'm worried that they could ruin the series by milking them for all they're worth, but at the same time it's exciting to know they could be making yet another great film.
    If I ruled the world, I'd do it all

"My hobbies include staring at hot asian men, crying over hot asian men, and shipping hot asian men with other hot asian men~"
    Quote stolen from tumblr. Claims: Zhong Hui, Xu Shu, Sewddle, Protect, Sitrus Berry, Max Repel, and Sap Sipper

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

I believe, if you have a great story to tell, you should tell it, whether it's original or an expansion of an older story. Sequels/prequels are not inherently bad. The difficulty lies in finding a worthy story to tell, or perhaps a worthy way in which to tell it.

In the case of Pixar, there are numerous ideas in their various franchises that could be further explored. How many of these ideas truly merit their own films is, as yet, unclear. Sometimes the only way to know for sure is to try it. Yes, this may produce some duds along the way, but all that proves is that the people at Pixar are human beings, just like the rest of us. We all stumble now and then, and I think Pixar has earned the right to take chances, make mistakes and get messy. Sooner or later, they'll learn what works and what doesn't.

So, Pixar sequels and prequels? I say bring 'em on.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

In short, when Pixar tries to do original things, they end up with really great concepts, like Up, and really bad concepts like Turbo. Prequels and sequels are the safest thing to do, especially if familiar, popular characters make a reappearance. They're the ones audiences connect with the easiest because it's what they're used to if the movie is in reference to the prequel or sequel before it. That's just how it works; people won't respond better to original concepts better than they will to familiar ones.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by turntechGodhead View Post
    In short, when Pixar tries to do original things, they end up with really great concepts, like Up, and really bad concepts like Turbo.
    Turbo is a Dreamworks film. It has nothing to do with Pixar.

Blog Entries

Follow Niji on Tumblr

After re-watching Monsters Inc, I do really wanna watch Monsters University. Holy frig, Randall! Just frigging frigsicle! It obviously isn't as good as the original, but it's an interesting part of the story. As a complete FernGully maniac, I hate it when sequels or prequels are terrible, and pretty much ruin continuity and throw out an opportunity to expand on something amazing. If they put their heart and soul into something and make it well-done, fun, and powerful, it's great to have more of it. Arg, I wanna watch MU ASAP ;-; !

Keep on kicking butt, Yuzu!

Stray Dog Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

Well I myself aren't really sure on how the sequels and prequels would actually do. I think it all really depends on execution, I haven't watched Monster University but I really really want to plus it has a pretty cool concept and setting. At the end of the day I think it all depends on whether Pixar is able to come up with a good idea and do it right. However it is also true that they can't make hits forever, there have to be some misses there and even though Pixar's had its misses even those are still better than most other animated films that don't become hits.

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter Add Robo-Floatzel on Google+
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

I haven't seen Monsters University yet, but it's their choice to make prequels and sequels to their films, though I remember what Walt Disney himself said about sequels, saying that it ruins the story of the original, which is what happened with the infamous direct-to-video sequels that Disney films had, in what TV Tropes refers to as sequelitis.

There has only been ONE bad sequel to a Pixar film, and that was Cars 2, while I am one of the few people who enjoyed the first Cars film (though I can see why people dislike it), Cars 2 was just adding on to a story that just didn't need to continue, as well as the fact that it's just a more wacky, fantasized, and more unrealistic version of it's previous film, which makes Cars 2 my least favorite Pixar film.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Blog Entries
    Add Spyspotter on MySpace

The thing is, Pixar ALWAYS overdoes everything. That's why we ended up with stupid films like Toy Story 3 and Cars 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyspotter View Post
    The thing is, Pixar ALWAYS overdoes everything. That's why we ended up with stupid films like Toy Story 3 and Cars 2.
    Toy Story 3 wasn't "stupid" and it turned out to be an amazing film. Even Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 99% rating. It would only be less enjoyable if you weren't a fan of the franchise. Either way, Pixar has decided to scale back on sequels now anyway, with Finding Dory being that last one in production for Thanksgiving 2015. But there will be three original Pixar stories coming in the meantime.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spyspotter View Post
    The thing is, Pixar ALWAYS overdoes everything.
    No, the shift toward sequelisation has actually been a very recent trend for Pixar. Prior to 2010, Toy Story 2 was their ONLY sequel. It's only now that we're suddenly getting a glut of them.

Admittedly, Pixar's avoidance of sequels in the past had a lot to do with studio politics - the conditions of their original contract with Disney meant that sequels could not be included in the five picture deal they had signed into, so from Pixar's point of view they would have merely delayed the opportunity to negotiate a better contract, particularly with the Pixar brand gaining as much recognition as it was. But I'm sure that artistic integrity was also a factor, as their handling of Toy Story 2 and its deeply troubled production surely demonstrates - Pixar were not happy with the way the sequel was shaping up, but Disney would not grant them an extension in which to complete the film, due to promotional deals with marketing partners having already been signed and scheduled. Rather than release an inferior product which could have harmed their brand, Pixar worked an absolutely insane schedule in which to redo the film and make it as good as it could possibly be within the time they had. And, in the end, they were able to come out smelling of roses.

A minor, but very telling example of Pixar's wisdom when it comes to not overdoing things would be those fake out-takes which showed up in the end-credits of some of their earlier films. I recall that these were always very popular, but they dropped them after Monsters Inc., on the grounds that they had been taken about as far as they could go. I'm sure that a lesser company would have absolutely run them into the ground.
    Last edited by garrison-san; 27th July 2013 at 06:38 AM.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
    After re-watching Monsters Inc, I do really wanna watch Monsters University. Holy frig, Randall! Just frigging frigsicle! It obviously isn't as good as the original, but it's an interesting part of the story. As a complete FernGully maniac, I hate it when sequels or prequels are terrible, and pretty much ruin continuity and throw out an opportunity to expand on something amazing. If they put their heart and soul into something and make it well-done, fun, and powerful, it's great to have more of it. Arg, I wanna watch MU ASAP ;-; !
    I hate sequels that throw out the original continuity. In Search of the Titanic had the worst case by outright ignoring events that happened in the previous film. The first movie wasn't exactly a good film, so it really didn't need a sequel.

I'm actually looking forward to the Finding Nemo sequel.

i don't like the idea at all
    WHITE 2: 2624-0822-5515
    I' lov'in this sig ^.^