Is noise music?

Thread: Is noise music?

aka. white power bill Baf's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Is noise music?

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    It includes a wide range of musical styles, and sound based creative practices, that feature noise as a primary aspect. It can feature acoustically or electronically generated noise, and both traditional and unconventional musical instruments. It may incorporate live machine sounds, non-musical vocal techniques, physically manipulated audio media, processed sound recordings, field recordings, computer generated noise, stochastic processes and other randomly produced electronic signals such as distortion, feedback, static, hiss and hum. There may also be emphasis on high volume levels and lengthy, continuous pieces. More generally noise music may contain aspects such as improvisation, extended technique, cacophony and indeterminacy, and in many instances conventional use of melody, harmony, rhythm and pulse is often dispensed with.
    Do you consider noise music?

Last edited by Baf; 31st December 2012 at 02:44 PM.

dank memes

Quote Originally Posted by Mißingnåen View Post
    I'm convinced that Baf is actually a spam bot. He has managed to sneak by the filters for the past 2 years.

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is noise music?

Like I said in this thread, anything the artist calls music, is music. If Merzbow makes random noises with no structure to them whatsoever and then calls it a song, then it's a song. Whether or not it's a good song is up to the listener.

I personally have no idea whether I could call noise music "good" or "bad", only "interesting" or "boring". The kinds of sounds Merzbow can make in his experiments are definitely interesting and stimulating to me. He doesn't really have an idea in his head, he just goes "what if I do this to this?" and sees what happens. I don't think that takes a whole lot of talent to do, so I definitely wouldn't hold Merzbow or any other noise musicians in the same vein as artists like, well, artists out of basically any genre besides noise, and I really wouldn't even call it a performance art. All they do is make weird noises that make me wonder what they did to create them. If they consider it music, then it's music to me.

Blog Entries

I'm not sure if noise is music, it's definitely sounds, but I'm not sure if its intention is to be music. I think noise music, from the little I've heard it's more about the conception and the idea than musicianship. I don't think what Merzbow produces is music, I think it's sound art. To me music has to have some sort of structure, even very loose structure, for it to constitute as music. I suppose it's all down to one's opinion. The video I linked may be music to some and to others just an annoyance.

dank memes

I'm convinced that Baf is actually a spam bot. He has managed to sneak by the filters for the past 2 years.

Blog Entries

Follow Niji on Tumblr

I went to a noise concert once. It is music for those who understand it.

Watch Randy Cunningham 9th Grade Ninja!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lavendrowzazeemontw0 View Post
    How does the music make you feel?

dank memes

Blog Entries

Follow Niji on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by 313 View Post
    I guess it depends on the noise and the listener. I don't really listen to it, but I can see it as music or a related kind of sound art. I just went to the concert when I was a little kid.

Watch Randy Cunningham 9th Grade Ninja!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 313 View Post
    I guess it depends on the noise and the listener. I don't really listen to it, but I can see it as music or a related kind of sound art. I just went to the concert when I was a little kid.
    Thanks for your comment :) I'd be interested in seeing Merzbow live for the experience, not for the music. I think it'd be something you'd never forget, a huge wave of sonic noise.

dank memes

Happy Holidays! Dolce's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dolce On Twitter
    Follow Dolce on Tumblr Visit Dolce's Youtube Channel

This is what I love about art (and I mean music in this case ofc). The freedom of expression. But when it comes to it, it's definitely a matter of what your tastes are. And in my case that video definitely doesn't suit my tastes, but I would still consider it music. ^^
    X: Dolce, αS: Nina
    FC: 4554 - 1270 - 5039

Moon Princess Kaori's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Kaori on Tumblr

I would personally say that anything that is somewhat structured or considered is music, if we're speaking technically, but I agree that different things can be music to different people. I think anything that is still manipulated with and to provoke thought or emotion could be considered a song even if it is conceived as it progresses or only uses sources of ambient or atypical noise rather than established instruments or vocals. I suppose I could more easily go with the suggestion that this type of sound is more akin to sound art, yes, but I think it's important to remember that often, newer or stranger developments aren't often considered part of the medium for a long time before they develop or gain acceptance and acknowledgement. Perhaps noise doesn't fit "music" as we currently know it, but I believe it is arguably music and might well be considered more widely as such one day.

[12:40:02 AM] Karamazov: I call Kaori the chick who could crush me under her tits

~ Proud Head of Entertainment, Inc.~

Blog Entries

I think it's a little Derogatory to refer to music as "noise". Personally, I thought this thread was about regular, everyday noises such as those wind chimes attached to strings. You know, like these: http://www.armenhalburian.com/images/Bar-Chimes-No-Text.jpg
    Helga: Look, Phoebe you gotta snap out of this. I mean, criminy, it's not like it's the first time you ever farted. Heck, when you sleepover you do it all the time. You rip 'em all night long, they stink to high heaven. It's all I can do to keep from passing out.
    Phoebe: Just get out.
    - Hey Arnold

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zakisrage View Post
    I think it's a little Derogatory to refer to music as "noise". Personally, I thought this thread was about regular, everyday noises such as those wind chimes attached to strings. You know, like these: http://www.armenhalburian.com/images/Bar-Chimes-No-Text.jpg
    Those would be found sound or field recordings.

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zakisrage View Post
    "Noise" is generally not a derogatory term, and many artists in the noise genre are complacent with or even embrace the term. Noise has even spawned some fusion genres like noise rock and noise pop.

Like my first post in this thread stated, though, anything the artist calls music, is music. However, I'm really torn over whether recordings of nature of things like that could be considered "music". I'm thinking myself, that if somebody does something to initiate the noise, which can be anything from flicking a wind chime to throwing a rock on the ground to everything in between, then I could call it music, even if it has no structure to it. I guess what I'm trying to say is that recording sounds of nature and/or the recorder's surroundings seems like letting something make music for them, and that's not something I'm very open to. It's very, very subjective and debatable, though.

Blog Entries

I don't think field recordings, unaltered, are music. If I was to record a street and it's sounds, it's not music, but I could use the sounds and alter them or build on them to make music. I like field recordings, but I don't see them as music, more like sound art.