Nightmare fuel in cartoons - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Nightmare fuel in cartoons

I poke your snoot UnovaCastaway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Nightmare fuel in cartoons

Hexxus (Tim Curry's character) from Fern Gully scared the life out of me as a little kid. It doesn't help that, at the end, he turns from a freaky smoke monster into literally a demon straight out of hell.

All in a G-rated movie with lots of vibrant scenery.

Princess in trainin' Dolce's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dolce On Twitter
    Follow Dolce on Tumblr Visit Dolce's Youtube Channel

@Slenderman; I'm a chicken so naturally yes. *runs off* xD
    Continent Turtle likes this.

IGN: Dolce, 3DS FC: 4554-1270-5039
    Entertainment, Inc.Global Trade Station

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Any Tiny Toon Adventures episode starring Go-Go Dodo left me with psychological scars as a kid. There's a reason why I don't regard that show with quite the same affection as I do the other "Steven Spielberg Presents" cartoons of the day.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    Any Tiny Toon Adventures episode starring Go-Go Dodo left me with psychological scars as a kid. There's a reason why I don't regard that show with quite the same affection as I do the other "Steven Spielberg Presents" cartoons of the day.
    I must be weird, because I loved anything and everything with Go-Go Dodo. He was sick and twisted so I found him hilarious.

In my case, it was "Cosmic Rust" in the old Transformers G1 series. The very idea that a robot can get sick and die is outright terrifying to me. Always has been, always will be. Then there was an episode of Spider-man and His Amazing Friends that freaked me out as a kid: "Attack of the Arachnoid". A scientist by the name of Dr. Zoltan manages to recreate Spider-man's powers and frames him. But eventually, Dr. Zoltan's powers get the better of him and he mutates into a half-man, half-spider creature that starts wreaking havoc in the city. The transformation sequence in that ep had me completely horrified. Seriously, it was the most frightening thing I had ever seen as a kid....and I watched the original Watership Down when I was four!

Team Battle Maison
    Claimed: Golett ~ Iron Fist ~ Shadow Punch ~ Big Pearl ~ Light Clay.
    GPX+

Arms... like... nooodles! The Togekiss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow The Togekiss on Tumblr

I cant think of anything specific at the moment except for that dancing elephant thing on Dumbo.
    But i do remember the sound that the THX logo thing would make would make me cry. to this day it still makes me cringe whenever I hear it.

My deviantArt account... http://thetogekiss.deviantart.com/
    Claimed: Togekiss (yay!) ,Oblivious, Pokeradar,and Razor Fang! July 8th, 2012, Air Slash July 20th, 2012

the brave little toaster, man. B|
    i love it, but it was ridiculously dark for a kids film. especially a kids film about talking appliances.

there's the beginning, with the air conditioner that goes insane and destroys itself... that shit gives me the straight up jibblies just remembering it. and then the nightmare that the toaster has with the evil clown. D: there's the "torture scene" with the blender in the spare parts shop, and then of course the ending in the junkyard, with the old cars singing about how useless they are and basically committing suicide. jesus. kids movies in the 80s got away with some crazy stuff.

(speaking of... all dogs go to heaven got a g rating. o_o y'know, the movie that has blatant alcohol consumption, gambling, murder, and much more besides. things have indeed changed over the years, lol.)
    ghaskan and Niji like this.

my fanfiction.tumblr. ★ claims:

Creepy adorable grin FTW ~DawnFairy=)~'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow ~DawnFairy=)~ On Twitter Add ~DawnFairy=)~ on Facebook Add ~DawnFairy=)~ on Google+ Add ~DawnFairy=)~ on MySpace
    Add ~DawnFairy=)~ on Linkedin Follow ~DawnFairy=)~ on Tumblr Follow ~DawnFairy=)~ on Flickr Visit ~DawnFairy=)~'s Youtube Channel

Try The Digimon Emporer in Digimon Adventure 2...*shutter's* Only to get worse and worse..... :U

I like being pretty irl and wear dresses i wish i could go sweet lolita...
    Riku and Clefairies are adorbs :D

Few cartoons scares me.

But i do remember the sound that the THX logo thing would make would make me cry
    That scared me too.
    Last edited by Applejack1973; 9th September 2012 at 10:46 AM.
    Orion likes this.
    Applejack: OK, this is just gettin' weird. Real me! Real me!

Java Girl Barb's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries

From a very old Scooby-Doo episode: the glowing alien skull that haunts an abandoned airport, and the sound the alien's ship makes when it lands.

Blog Entries

I remember when the Hey Arnold episode "Phoebe Breaks a Leg" first came out, I was creeped out by Phoebe's bad dream. In it, Phoebe is apparently a slave for Helga, who resembles Queen Elizabeth I. Helga makes Phoebe do all these chores. Phoebe asks Helga to do a favour for her: remove her shackles so the chores would be easier. Queen Helga refuses, and has a rather unsettling laugh, which causes Phoebe to wake up from her dream.

Now of course, I think it's funny. When I watched it again the following year, I wasn't bothered at all.

I actually got really creeped out by the SpongeBob episode where SpongeBob buys a new pet, hoping for Gary to have a friend. As it turns out, the pet - a little fish thing - is extremely aggressive and takes on a horrible form. And even at the end SpongeBob incorrectly believes that the new pet was innocent just because it was cute when he bought it (although its angry form was the stuff nightmares are made of - its four tongues had MOUTHS with SHARP TEETH!). And according to the writers, it was a nudibranch. Real-life nudibranchs are carnivorous, but they are actually a variety of sea slug, and do not look threatening at all. It was a relatively recent episodes, but I think it was one of the better-written newer episodes. Still, that "nudibranch" was insanely scary.

Courage the Cowardly Dog had tons of nightmare fuel, but it was kind of supposed to be like that, which made it less frightening.
    But there was a couple of really creepy Rugrats episodes. There was one where Tommy accidentally gets kidnapped by these two thugs, and his parents literally had no idea he was ever gone. Can you imagine what would have happened to Tommy if that had happened in real life?
    There's also of course the Powerpuff Girls episode where the middle age man worships the Powerpuff Girls. This wouldn't be so bad if they weren't, you know, five year old girls. If that isn't creepy enough, he ended up kidnapping them and keeping them in plastic packages. THAT is nightmare fuel.
    My official Black 2 team.

Some days it's a good day to die. Other times it's just a good day to have breakfast.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fair Verona View Post
    There's also of course the Powerpuff Girls episode where the middle age man worships the Powerpuff Girls. This wouldn't be so bad if they weren't, you know, five year old girls. If that isn't creepy enough, he ended up kidnapping them and keeping them in plastic packages. THAT is nightmare fuel.
    That was so disturbing. It bothered me a bit once I realised what pedophilia is.

Visit Kyouhei!'s Youtube Channel

Regular Show wasn't scary, but one scene takes the cake (get it?)
    Well, it's really just a still image. Just... Just look.

This epic banner was made by the epic Blue Dragon!

Blog Entries

Follow Niji on Tumblr

Some episodes of Ren and Stimpy are pretty creepy for a kids show. Ren(my favorite character) losing his mind is pretty much the source of most things creepy in it. In the episode 'Ren Needs Help,' Ren goes completely insane. Stimpy doesn't even notice that Ren needs help even though he's acting really strange. Finally, instead of getting mad at Stimpy, Ren laughs and says he's going to "end it all," and then tries to commit suicide by sticking his head down the garbage disposal, cackling as it starts to grind him up. In the episode, 'Stimpy's Fan Club,' Ren gets jealous that Stimpy has an enormous fan base, while Ren apparently has no fans(not true). At one point he goes insane and decides to murder Stimpy in his sleep. The animation gets creepy and surreal, weird music stars playing, and Ren starts cackling, looking like someone from a horror movie, and muttering about how he held the fate of millions in his hands, and with one twist (of Stimpy's neck) it would be over. It's amazing how the staff could get away with stuff that you'd never see in kids shows today.

I also agree that Courage the Cowardly Dog and The Brave Little Toaster are horrific. Watership Down is too.

Keep on kicking butt, Yuzu!

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Nightmare faces are the main embodiments of nightmare fuel in cartoons, especially this scene from Pinnochio:

Stills creeps me out to this day.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast