Nightmare fuel in cartoons - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Nightmare fuel in cartoons

Blog Entries

Default Re: Nightmare fuel in cartoons

pretty much all your suggestions I remember, especially courage. that show was like an animated version of That's So Weird (the weird stuff at least). Anyway, for rugrats, I remember the episode when angelica heard that her parents wanted another baby, and she got all anxious and worried over what the baby will be like. basically her vision of her new brother was very scary, not only in its voice (which sounded like an adult), but in the way it acted. it was a jerk and iirc tried to lock up angelica indefinitely in a closet. and it also ate her. there's some more unsettling stuff about that baby brother but i can't remember. tough it looked like a baby, it certainly wasn't.

another rugrats moment was at the end of an episode where chaz, i think, came down to Stu's kitchen to see what he was doing, then Stu had this high clown voice and he turned around to reveal a clownish face (w/o makeup of course) and the episode ended with Chaz screaming, I think the episode was about chucky overcoming his fear of clowns.

The Elephant Parade from Dumbo was another one, though my brother was the one who was afraid of it many years ago.

another nightmarish thing was not from a cartoon, but i think is worth mentioning. It was the short purple monster in Ghostwriter. I'm too afraid to even look for a picture of it online to post so my words will have to do. In fact, I'm so terrified of it I probably won't read what anyone else has to say because they might post a picture of it. There'll probably be people who think it looks funny, rather than scary, but at the time i first saw and heard this monster i was around 6-8 years old, it's been well over a decade since i've seen it and the image is still haunting. from what i can remember, this thing was basically slimy, melting, dripping. It wore a black jacket with pants and shoes. It was perhaps 2 feet tall and had a hideous grin and i think crooked eyes.I believe it was a doll similar to Chucky, but how it came to life (if it wasn't alive already) i don't know. (Or even if it was a doll at all) I can't remember if the monster wanted to kill the main characters, but i wouldn't be surprised if it did. I don't know what it was trying to accomplish in the first place. Nevertheless, it is a creepy, evil thing.

Blog Entries

Personally, I found the Stu clown to be funny.

I found the Powerpuff Girls episode "Speed Demon" to be pretty scary. The worst was the giant, more powerful HIM.

Blog Entries

Who can forget about those urban legends from Hey Arnold!?

While I wasn't really scared by any of them (Haunted Train is one of my favorite episodes of the series despite the fact that it was extremely rushed and had crappy background music), but were you guys?

Slacker Extraordinaire SanchoSuitcase's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    On the subject of Courage the Cowardly Dog, there was this, remember this guy:

Oh god damn it, I thought I had pushed that far into the depths of my mind...
    Niji likes this.

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

@Robo-Floatzel; I'm glad I didn't see that episode, because I really loved The Powerpuff Girls but was a very sensitive kid.

In particular, the Him episodes always really freaked me out. The writers had a way of giving the Him the sort of plotlines that would target a kid's most sensitive fears, like the people/things you love turning against you (as in "Tough Love" or "Octy-Evil").

Another thing that creeped me out as a kid was in Hercules (which I assume counts here since it was a cartoon film), where Hercules dove into the river Styx to save Meg while sacrificing himself. The way he rapidly aged until he was basically a skeleton really creeped me out then. I rewatched it recently and I was like, "Really? It was that?" Especially with the ridiculous plothole in terms of how he dove into it. (Right before he goes in, he's close enough to touch the river, but then they show him jumping in from like an Olympic-diving height. Really, Disney? You didn't think anyone would notice that?)

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Blog Entries

Visit Orion's Youtube Channel

Pretty much anything from Courage. "You're not perfect...", King Ramses, Katz, The Mask, the witch from the black puddle, etc. Let's not forget the episode about prostitution and domestic abuse.
    Niji likes this.

Forbidden Forest Ranger Cosmic Gerbil's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Add Cosmic Gerbil on Facebook

A Tom and Jerry cartoon I saw when I was 4. Tom got squashed by a boulder. It made me so angry, I switched the TV on and off at top speed and blew the fuse xD

The episode of Dr Snuggles where Nobby (the mouse) falls into the diamond machine. That scarred me for life xD

Watership down, especially when the Black Rabbit comes for Hazel.

Animal Farm, where Boxer is taken to the knacker's (sp) yard to be killed. I cried buckets at that :(

The pink elephant dance from Dumbo. What were they smoking when they made that xD
    Exit light
    Enter night
    Take my hand
    We're off to never never-land

The Dimension Witch Dolce's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dolce On Twitter
    Follow Dolce on Tumblr Visit Dolce's Youtube Channel

I don't even watch this show...but my friend sent me this over skype the other day and now I don't think I'm ever gonna watch it.....because slenderman terrifies me...*shivers*

5026334_700b_v1.jpg

IGN: Dolce, 3DS FC: 4554-1270-5039
    Entertainment, Inc.Global Trade Station

amazing Meron's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Meron On Twitter

Ah yes, "return the slab" was really scary back when I saw it for the first time (it was dark and I was home alone). Awesome episode, though.

But I think the Moomin episode where Moomin goes under the magic hat and turns into a troll takes the trophy for me. I don't even know what made it so horrifying, but I know I did run out of the tv room whenever that episode aired. And I know I'm not the only kid who was traumatized by that scene, or the series overall. I remember being horrified by many other episodes too.

Oh, and the second episode of Alfred J Kwak where

y team

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Gerbil View Post
    Watership Down
    Sweet nostalgia. Noone of my friend watched it and it was so... well, I was quite old when I watched it, but some scenes were still quite terrifying.
    But I loved it :)

Forbidden Forest Ranger Cosmic Gerbil's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Add Cosmic Gerbil on Facebook

I was about 7 when I watched it, I think. The PC brigade would be horrified if they knew the sort of stuff I used to watch xD I didn't understand all of it but I loved it cos of the rabbits :)
    Exit light
    Enter night
    Take my hand
    We're off to never never-land

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfyre View Post
    Courage the Cowardly Dog has a lot of Nightmare Fuel in it. Not just the pictorial/visual ones, like King Ramses and the dude from Perfect, but also the themes used like the Apocalypse, curses, zombies, cannibalism and other stuff. Well, its genre is "Comedy horror", so it's expected.

Of course, being the sick, twisted little child I was, I loved Courage the Cowardly Dog.
    I remember when the show first came out the weremole scared me the most. eventhough the show scared the crap out of me i still enjoyed watching it. Freaky fred is probily the number one villian in the nighmare fuel in Courage i can think of

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IS1296 View Post
    pretty much all your suggestions I remember, especially courage. that show was like an animated version of That's So Weird (the weird stuff at least). Anyway, for rugrats, I remember the episode when angelica heard that her parents wanted another baby, and she got all anxious and worried over what the baby will be like. basically her vision of her new brother was very scary, not only in its voice (which sounded like an adult), but in the way it acted. it was a jerk and iirc tried to lock up angelica indefinitely in a closet. and it also ate her. there's some more unsettling stuff about that baby brother but i can't remember. tough it looked like a baby, it certainly wasn't.
    That episode used to scare me too. That baby looked liked the stuff nightmares are made of. It really was big and scary. Plus it had a really scary voice. That nightmare was one of the few times I could actually understand why Angelica was thinking that: sometimes little kids are afraid of being ignored when their mom is having another baby.

Ironically, the nightmare was followed by one of the most heartwarming moments on the show: when Drew rescues Angelica from her nightmare, after she tells him about it, Drew tells Angelica how he and Charlotte will always love her no matter what happens.

I always thought that at the end Charlotte had miscarried the baby...which worked to Angelica's advantage...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Erin View Post
    I don't even watch this show...but my friend sent me this over skype the other day and now I don't think I'm ever gonna watch it.....because slenderman terrifies me...*shivers*

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5026334_700b_v1.jpg 
Views:	1148 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	71886
    Do I really scare you that much?

I never really watched Courage the Cowardly Dog too much because it scared the crap out of me. There's one episode of Teen Titans I remember that was really creepy. The one where Robin is looking at Slade's mask in the basement, and the dust makes him see, hear, and feel Slade even though he's dead.
    Niji likes this.
    I don't always resist, but when I do, it's with The Resistance. Stay resistant, my friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Defense
    After all, what is a Resistance member if he doesn't resist?

Trophies

Follow Pokelova on Tumblr

This video. It was well before I was born, but now that I know it exists I will never get it out of my mind. Not so much nightmarish as it is extremely depressing, but whatever. You all deserve to share this burden.
    Pokelova's Shiny Collection

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast