Nightmare fuel in cartoons

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Nightmare fuel in cartoons

Blog Entries

Pumpkin Nightmare fuel in cartoons

What are some creepy moments that you've seen on cartoons?

I saw something creepy in the second segment of this episode:

RUGRATS S01E03 - At the Movies/Slumber Party - Watch Movies Online For Free on TubePlus

It's a very old Rugrats episode - from 1991, probably before many of us were even born. It's the episode where Angelica is at Tommy's house and opens his bedroom window during naptime, which results in Tommy getting a bit sick. Note that when Angelica opens the window, the wind makes a heavy, almost unnerving sound. And that's nothing compared to the fever dream sequence later in the episode, where Tommy imagines his crib growing gigantic and starts to see rather disturbing hallucinations. Until I was about 15, the dream sequence really scared me. When I was about 10 I had a nightmare similar to Tommy's dream, only it was a good deal scarier. (The fact that the animation is dated makes the dream sequence creepier.)

What cartoon moments were scary for you? (Try to stick to western animation for this - maybe someone else can make one for anime.)

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Nightmare fuel in cartoons

There was an episode of The Powerpuff Girls called "Knock it Off", which was easily the darkest episode of the series. Going by TV Tropes, Professor Utonium is asked by his college roomate, Professor Dick Hardly, about how the Powerpuff Girls were made, and then starts mass producing very deformed bootleg clones of the girls, all with a creepy monotone, and all far down in the Uncanny Valley, one of the Blossom clones had red eyes and monstrous teeth, and some of the clones had one HUGE EYE for a head, those designs were very, very unsettling. And that's not the only thing creepy about the episode, the main villian of the episode, Professor Dick Hardly, was a flat out monster, and the monster part becomes literal at the climax of the episode, where Dick swallows the Chemical X in an attempt to hide any evidence against him, resulting in him turning into a really creepy, and really powerful monster complete with a fake out and a horrible transformation sequence, then he beats up Prof. Utonium to near death, with Utonium saying to the girls that he loves them, and then all the clones turn to Professor Dick and say in their creepy monotone that he never said that he loved them. Afterwards, Utonium and the Powerpuff Girls escape as the clones attack Professor Dick and burn down his evil hideout with all of them still inside. the very last line of the episode, before the narrator's ending catch phrase, is Hardly's anguish screaming as he slowly burns to death.

Dick Hardly was probably the evilest villian in the series (even more evil than HIM was, and that's saying something, considering that Him is considered to be the devil), his treatment of the clones he made is downright despicable (murdering a perfect Buttercup clone for more Chemical X), he treated Professor Utonium badly in college and took advantage of him, and he tried to absorb the power of the real Powerpuff Girls right in front of the Professor who watched them suffer. He's entirely selfish, greedy and only thinks of himself, doing whatever it takes, be it lying to the girls, or seeing the clones as simple tools to make more money, for personal gain. Everything he did was solely for himself and for money, he had no redeeming qualities, and he was the only villian in the series to get killed off.

When this episode premiered, I was so disturbed by it, that I stopped watching The Powerpuff Girls for about TWO MONTHS!!!
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Blog Entries

Visit Kthleen's Youtube Channel

^Wow. I'm almost glad I either didn't see or don't remember that. ._.
    ...Almost. Now I'm curious. D:<

That said, bloodbending from the Avatar series. Levitating people by their body fluids, twisting them in ways they shouldn't be twisted, turning them into puppets, that weird "twisting rubber" sound....

maglev maglev's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Courage the Cowardly Dog also had creepy moments, especially as a child, but this one sticks with me. I thinks the rendering and the voice that still makes this quite creepy.
    maglev is invisible

Blog Entries

Courage the Cowardly Dog genre is "Surreal Horror." There is plenty of nightmare fuel in it.

There is a fine line between genius and insanity. Beware the blind and the sight-impaired.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AmeKren View Post
    Courage the Cowardly Dog genre is "Surreal Horror." There is plenty of nightmare fuel in it.
    It is pretty nightmare fuel the show. Man, i need to watch it gain, I haven't seen it in so long.
    Applejack1973 and 97SaturnSL1 like this.
    maglev is invisible

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FABuLUSH! View Post
    It is pretty nightmare fuel the show. Man, i need to watch it gain, I haven't seen it in so long.
    Not every episode is scary. Some episodes are actually pretty depressing, cheerful, or a strange mixture of both.

Pretty much every scene in The Brave Little Toaster is nightmare fuel (Which is why it's my favorite movie). Especially the song "Worthless".
    Niji likes this.

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Courage the Cowardly Dog also had creepy moments, especially as a child, but this one sticks with me. I thinks the rendering and the voice that still makes this quite creepy.
    Seriously? I loved this episode! lol Yeah, King Ramses is creepy, but I think the most creepy episode in the show is the one about freaky Fred the barber. Now THAT guy creeped the hell out of me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleo View Post

Seriously? I loved this episode! lol Yeah, King Ramses is creepy, but I think the most creepy episode in the show is the one about freaky Fred the barber. Now THAT guy creeped the hell out of me.
    That's a good one, i like how the barbers theme music slowly turns into children singing it. That's pretty eerie.
    maglev is invisible

Blog Entries

maglev and 97SaturnSL1 like this.

Add Kelleo on Facebook

That's a good one, i like how the barbers theme music slowly turns into children singing it. That's pretty eerie.
    Yeah, that and the guy's big creepy smile and his creepy obsession with cutting hair... Yeesh.

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

On the subject of Courage the Cowardly Dog, there was this, remember this guy:

Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    On the subject of Courage the Cowardly Dog, there was this, remember this guy:

Also creepy haha. Man, I love Courage.
    maglev is invisible

Blog Entries

Courage the Cowardly Dog has a lot of Nightmare Fuel in it. Not just the pictorial/visual ones, like King Ramses and the dude from Perfect, but also the themes used like the Apocalypse, curses, zombies, cannibalism and other stuff. Well, its genre is "Comedy horror", so it's expected.

Of course, being the sick, twisted little child I was, I loved Courage the Cowardly Dog.

[sources: sig gif|avatar]

Add Kelleo on Facebook

Hey, I loved Courage the Cowardly Dog too, but I'm not sick or twisted. I just loved the comedy and the characters. Eustace is win for how hilarious he is, for example. :P

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast