is the "never say die" censorship needed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: is the "never say die" censorship needed?

Blog Entries

Default is the "never say die" censorship needed?

On thing that I noticed (with few exceptions) is that Anime shown to kids in America tend to not use the words "die," "dead," "death" and "kill" and it's usually implied (Nicktoons DBZ Kai) or removed entirely (4kids). Either they don't want kids making death threats to others or they don't want to scare them with something that a part of real life and bulls**t them. Other cartoons do this, of course, to a ridiculous extend.

There are some shows that go against this such as The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy where Death itself (Grim) was a main character on the series. Hell, even Hell was shown (though called the "Underworld" and not actually "Hell"). But if that show can have the word "Death" said, why can't other cartoons that are meant for older kids (around ten and up) do the same?

It seems ridiculous too when they imply death but don't say the word like it's a curse since it's like the kids know what death is but they can't say the words that are related to it. I know that death threads aren't appropriate, even if you don't mean it but if that's the case, parents should tell their kids not to make such threats instead of treating the words like curses.

What do you think? Is this whole "Never Say Die" thing really necessary? Death is part of life (the end, actually) and you can deny your kids from knowing about it or saying about. Who knows? They're grandparents could kick the bucket anytime and they wouldn't know how to handle it. Or even there pets.

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: is the "never say die" censorship needed?

There's a point where stuff becomes a bit too dark for the kiddies, but completely omitting the words "dead", "death", etc., is a little silly to me. If somebody dies in a Disney cartoon, they're dead. It's fine by me if they decide to use "gone" or something of the like, but I think it's fine to use "dead" as well.
    Robo-Floatzel and matt0044 like this.

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

These kind of people treat "death" like it's the F word, like it's an obscenity, so they use substitute words like "gone", even if it's pointless and unrealistic, like when you say "gone", does that mean the character just went home or to the store, or is he gone gone, because that makes things more confusing. 4Kids went a little too far with their censorship of death (alongside replacing rice balls with donuts, but that's another topic), going as far as replacing death with another dimension, like the "Shadow Realm" for instance, though interestingly, many see 4Kids as making the "Shadow Ream" a fate that's worse than death if you think of it too hard.

Outside of 4Kids and their infamous dubs, in shows like Adventure Time, you hear the word "death" and related words at least 3 times an episode, to the point where if you watch an Adventure Time marathon, or several episodes in a row, you can make a drinking game based on how many times you hear the word "death" and related words such as die, killed, etc.
    matt0044 likes this.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Blog Entries

Follow Niji on Tumblr

C-c-censorship? Censorship is never needed! Censorship is unjustly altering of the artists original intentions, which makes the product worse. It takes out all the funny violence, too. Besides, saying "die" is the same, only more concise and less annoying, than when they say "leave this world," or "join the stars."

Keep on kicking butt, Yuzu!

Serenity is key
    Blog Entries

In my opinion, it's definitely not necessary. The character's dead, but they're not allowed to say it? Absolutely ridiculous. It's also more concise, obvious, and to the point, which tends to be best for children's shows.
    Crack some heads for me, darlings. Thank you, and good night.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

o_O If they wanted to censor anything related to the word "die, death, kill", then "Death Note" should've never been dubbed or aired XDD Kids watched that show, and the whole stuff was about killing people - death itself.

Fairy Queen Kaori's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Kaori on Tumblr

I understand the point in trying to soften blows/make things less grim/morbid, but really, death is a fact of live and it's only taboo with kids because we're not frank about it as soon as they can understand it. I don't believe in outright censorship of the words at all. :/

[12:40:02 AM] Karamazov: I call Kaori the chick who could crush me under her tits
    ~ Proud Head of Entertainment, Inc. ~ Fanclub ~ Come join the conversation in the Entertainment, Inc. General Chat Thread!~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post
    o_O If they wanted to censor anything related to the word "die, death, kill", then "Death Note" should've never been dubbed or aired XDD Kids watched that show, and the whole stuff was about killing people - death itself.
    Yeah, imagine 4kids dubbing Death Note.

I think I just died a little from the mere thought of it.

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Yeah, imagine 4kids dubbing Death Note.

I think I just died a little from the mere thought of it.
    Sounds funny. I'd watch it.

Blog Entries

Definitely not necessary. And not reasonable. May a decade ago when kid were kids; innocent pansies who don't know shit. But nowadays, with the violent, almost bloodthirsty 'children' of this generation, it's a waste in all aspects. However scary you think the word 'death' is to the lil' uns, I swear they've seen and heard much worse.

Plus, I don't see why you should cover up a fact of life. 100% of people die. As long as you don't make it purposely morbid, it's perfectly fine to mention death.

[sources: sig gif|avatar]

Blog Entries

I have always wondered why words like those have been censored... Death is an everyday occurrence, and they're going to learn about it at some point, so why even bother? Besides, if the parents really cared about the content of the shows they watch, they could have some control over what their own children watch. Are they worried about being sued for a child becoming a psychopath or a serial killer? It should be up to the parents, and not the dubbing companies, as it ruins the original script more than the dub naturally does.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Luckily, Avatar: The Last Airbender avoided this. It just Deus-Ex-Machina'd the end of the series.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cRussian View Post
    I have always wondered why words like those have been censored... Death is an everyday occurrence, and they're going to learn about it at some point, so why even bother? Besides, if the parents really cared about the content of the shows they watch, they could have some control over what their own children watch. Are they worried about being sued for a child becoming a psychopath or a serial killer? It should be up to the parents, and not the dubbing companies, as it ruins the original script more than the dub naturally does.
    "naturally does." I don't like the wording on that last part.

Arms... like... nooodles! The Togekiss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow The Togekiss on Tumblr

I fond the death-censorship pointless. Death is something kids should know about, It happens to everyone obviously. It shouldn't be treated like a swear word, kids nowadays hear much worse. I find the censorship completely ridiculous.

My deviantArt account... http://thetogekiss.deviantart.com/
    Claimed: Togekiss (yay!) ,Oblivious, Pokeradar,and Razor Fang! July 8th, 2012, Air Slash July 20th, 2012

Charizard fan since 1996 Charraze's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's stupid. Look at Bugs Life, I think one kid says die about 30 times in a row xD It's one of the most viewed kids films ever so why do TV shows of less popularity take it out??

At my primary school I heard kids in year 2 effing and blinding constantly and with the brilliance of parents these days letting kids play COD I don't know why Death is treated like a swear word
    WHITE FC: 3010 2870 9206

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast