My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic - Page 106

View Poll Results: Who is your favourite pony?

Voters
286. You may not vote on this poll
  • Twilight Sparkle

40 13.99%
  • Rainbow Dash

77 26.92%
  • Pinkie Pie

45 15.73%
  • Rarity

33 11.54%
  • Applejack

16 5.59%
  • Fluttershy

75 26.22%
Page 106 of 145 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 2172
Like Tree1056Likes

Thread: My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Default Re: My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

Yeah, that could be interesting: like someone who gets that finding your cutie mark is kind of like coming-of-age, and would like to be a kid for a little while longer.

Also, everyone, when do you think the CMCs will actually get their cutie marks? I feel like that's going to be a series-finale thing but who knows? Maybe they'll decide they want to change pace with them and get rid of the "crusading for cutie marks" storyline (they would have to give their group a new name, though).

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne* View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post
    Oh boy, you guys:
    Daily Dot | Tara Strong spearheads brony campaign against Jerry Springer

I hope that the brony community listens to Tara and doesn't fall for it, but I doubt it's going to make a difference. Those shows always manage to find someone opportunistic enough.
    Even if that plea didn't work, I'd say let him have his 15 minutes of fame and let it fly under the radar, he'll make a new flavor of the week his next show anyway and everyone will forget about it. I say bronies best defend themselves by continuing to put a good foot forward, that's more memorable so long as it's a persistent positive image. (A very optimistic hope, yes I realize, but it is one that continues to propel the fandom despite less decent parts).
    I don't know about this. Having had the misfortunate of watching the Jerry Springer show a few times, I feel like he's probably going to find the worst brony ever - like, say, someone like this stupid College Humor video or even a pedophile or someone who engages in actual bestiality - and use that to paint the whole fandom with that brush. And that's a bit harder for bronies, especially those who are struggling to explain their interest to others in their lives, to bounce back from than the usual stereotype of us on TV as "immature, socially maladjusted, live in their parents' basements" or whatever. At least his show isn't taken that seriously, though, and most people who watch it are probably those who would be dismissive of bronies anyway.

In better news, though, there's now a scientific study being undertaken about bronies that has busted a lot of the stereotypes about us. For example, they've shown that bronies have about the same education and employment levels as the non-brony control group they used. So now there's data that we can use against the haters!
    Last edited by Misato Katsuragi; 10th August 2012 at 01:17 PM.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Also, everyone, when do you think the CMCs will actually get their cutie marks? I feel like that's going to be a series-finale thing but who knows? Maybe they'll decide they want to change pace with them and get rid of the "crusading for cutie marks" storyline (they would have to give their group a new name, though).
    I was thinking a series finale as well, or maybe something very close to the series finale. I still have no ideas as to what the final episode could be like.

Blog Entries

Why is it that the Anti Bronies who had a rough time with rabid MLP fantards on 4chan or the TF2 forums constantly think that the fans there are what the whole Brony community is like? Why must they generalize the fandom? It always seems to blind them to the fact that the world is not black and white. Anytime a Brony (who's levelheaded and knows what he/she's talking about) complains about the injustice they're getting, the Antis denounce it as the rabid fantards whining. Hell, if they were to come to this thread, they'd see us as the same Rabid fantards without a second thought, thinking we all shove the show in other people's faces. I'm sick of these marginalizations, generalizations and stereotypes. It's practically a horrible habit of humanity (say that three times fact).
    Last edited by matt0044; 10th August 2012 at 05:23 PM.

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well that video compares the Civil Right movement to the plight of Bronies....

Also the fact that the video exists is weird. No other fanbase I've seen has every had a group mentality to the point they need a video to explain to the members how to deal with haters.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quattro ~ Bajeena View Post
    Well that video compares the Civil Right movement to the plight of Bronies....

Also the fact that the video exists is weird. No other fanbase I've seen has every had a group mentality to the point they need a video to explain to the members how to deal with haters.
    Well, it's certainly not BRUTAL like it at all. But the prejudice is similar in how the haters and trolls are closed minded towards MLP fans to the point where they throw slurs at them.

They didn't need it. The maker just did it to put out his two cents on this whole thing. This isn't official and it isn't like everybrony needs this video to deal with haters and trolls. Are you insinuating that Bronies have a hive mind or something?

I'm sorry but your post is just... what?!

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Are you insinuating that Bronies have a hive mind or something?
    Well, yes.

The video is just stunningly mediocre. There's nothing wrong with it, though, just that the advice the guy offers (people have different opinions due to societal influences and peer interactions) is so general that there's really no point in making it a "How to Brony" video.

And then you've got the "Brony Scientific Study" link up there.

I'm just saying that the fact that those things exist seems a little off to me. It's a cartoon show, so I don't see why you actually need to study one's lifestyle based on the fact that they're a fan of one cartoon.

Blog Entries

It's a cartoon show, so I don't see why you actually need to study one's lifestyle based on the fact that they're a fan of one cartoon.
    That's correct. But this whole thing is not really about "liking a cartoon" so much as gender stereotypes. This is My Little Pony we're talking about. Ignoring the Anti Bronies and MLP Spam for now, the haters and trolls in question as well as non-bronies (who aren't like the former, mind you) are genuinely surprised that we Bronies are male fans of a My Little Pony series, a show and toyline that, prior to late 2010, was deemed as "girlish bland and sickeningly sweet." A show that back then NO BOY OR MAN would (want to) be caught dead watching because of how "for girls" it was. Yet here was the latest series subtitled "Friendship is Magic" garnering a male fan base, shocking them all. Even I was surprised before I watched the series. The haters and trolls are likely those bullies or all around obnoxious guys you may've encountered in school who are laughing at the mere fact at how men in their teens and/or onwards were openly admitting that they like a show about Ponies, a term used with "girls" in mind. So they go onto videos and whatnot to mock the fans via comments and such either to laugh at how "gay" we are, to express their rage over how men are liking "ponies" or to scoff at how "pathetic" we are. With all this, who wouldn't want to stand up to all this and say "Hey, we don't care you don't like what we're into. We could honestly care less. So don't think that you're comments are going to hurt us or make us change our ways because we're not giving in at all." The phrase "Proud To Be a Brony" is a result of this. Not because the fans think they're great for watching a cartoon but because they themselves aren't going to give into the haters. The scientific study is done because of the haters since they believe that only "aspies" or "autistics" are Bronies. With FOX and Howard Stern's "cover" on the fandom, the Brony community really needs so positive light to be shown in

It's nice to know that you'd never judge a male because they like a cartoon about ponies though. Just don't take certain videos and comments as a representation of the whole community. I never saw a Brony say "WE'RE AWESOME BECAUSE WE WATCH MLP." Not those exact words anyways. You haven't understood since you're not a Brony.
    Last edited by matt0044; 10th August 2012 at 01:32 PM.

Blog Entries

And then you've got the "Brony Scientific Study" link up there.
    I don't see what's so unusual about this. There have been sociological studies of fandoms before, and since fandoms can often create their own rules and expectations in an almost countercultural way, I think it's interesting and worth-doing.

However, I do totally agree with you on comparisons to the civil rights movement and how they're totally unwarranted. I've also seen straight white male bronies compare their revealing themselves as bronies to coming out as LGBT and....no. Just stop. Being mocked at school or on the Internet for the shows you like is bad, but not at all compared to the systematic forms of oppression that constitute sexism, racism, homophobia, etc. and this is part of the reason that certain subsets of the fandom are alienating to women, LGBT people and people of color.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Well, it's certainly not BRUTAL like it at all. But the prejudice is similar in how the haters and trolls are closed minded towards MLP fans to the point where they throw slurs at them.
    Except that the fact that anti-brony prejudice is limited to that means no, it's not really at ALL similar. The problems with racism go much deeper than simply hearing slurs. Do bronies go to jail at higher rates than non-bronies? Do bronies experience violence at higher rates than non-bronies? Do bronies have to deal with profiling denying them jobs or educational opportunities (no, being stupid enough to wear a Derpy costume to a job interview and then being surprised when the interviewer doesn't take you seriously doesn't count)? Did bronies ever have to experience Jim Crow laws that told them that they had to use separate swimming pools or water fountains, or attend different schools from non-bronies? No? Okay, so there's no real comparison to be made.

I think the only really fair comparison is sexism since a lot of the anti-brony prejudice is rooted in sexism. And some of it's rooted in homophobia as well but that doesn't necessarily mean that a straight brony who gets called "gay" for liking ponies knows what it means to be an actual gay person or experience the systematic oppression that actual LGBT people face. Using "gay" as an attack on a straight person is still based in the notion that "gay" is a bad thing to be and thus it's actual LGBT people who bear the brunt of that notion.
    Last edited by Misato Katsuragi; 10th August 2012 at 01:24 PM.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Blog Entries

Except that the fact that anti-brony prejudice is limited to that means no, it's not really at ALL similar. The problems with racism go much deeper than simply hearing slurs. Do bronies go to jail at higher rates than non-bronies? Do bronies experience violence at higher rates than non-bronies? Do bronies have to deal with profiling denying them jobs or educational opportunities (no, being stupid enough to wear a Derpy costume to a job interview and then being surprised when the interviewer doesn't take you seriously doesn't count)? Did bronies ever have to experience Jim Crow laws that told them that they had to use separate swimming pools or water fountains, or attend different schools from non-bronies? No? Okay, so there's no real comparison to be made.
    I never mentioned that nor was I meaning to. It's just pretty loose with the prejudice thing. Everything else, zilch. But I still stand by what I said in the post before yours. It's definitely about sexism and NOT racism so that should've been the comparison.

Blog Entries

I never mentioned that nor was I meaning to. It's just pretty loose with the prejudice thing. Everything else, zilch. But I still stand by what I said in the post before yours.
    But you did call the prejudice "similar" to racism when it isn't. Pretty much all forms of prejudice involve people making fun of you and throwing slurs your way. The video maker really should have chosen another that is limited to people making fun of you, and not made a false comparison to racism when racism is about so much more than people just using slurs.

Blog Entries

I never mentioned that nor was I meaning to. It's just pretty loose with the prejudice thing. Everything else, zilch. But I still stand by what I said in the post before yours.
    But you did call the prejudice "similar" to racism when it isn't. Pretty much all forms of prejudice involve people making fun of you and throwing slurs your way. The video maker really should have chosen another that is limited to people making fun of you, and not made a false comparison to racism when racism is about so much more than people just using slurs.
    Alright. I admit it. I goofed up and I'm sorry.

Blog Entries

Thanks. I hope I didn't come off as too harsh.

Another way to look at it is it can hurt bronies' arguments when people make false comparisons to racism; a lot of people of color, or more sensitive white people, are just going to see a video like that and say "Oh, look, another privileged white dude who doesn't understand racism" and ignore everything else in it.

Blog Entries

Thanks. I hope I didn't come off as too harsh.

Another way to look at it is it can hurt bronies' arguments when people make false comparisons to racism; a lot of people of color, or more sensitive white people, are just going to see a video like that and say "Oh, look, another privileged white dude who doesn't understand racism" and ignore everything else in it.
    It's okay. And yes, you're right, there's pretty much NO comparison (ironic because I'm technically black like my mother). All the same, I was telling Quatro Bajeena that he himself doesn't understand what injustice Bronies get.

Did you read my long post back up there?

Hi Rayne's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries

Eh, yeah, comparing the grief and suffering to civil rights is going on the extreme end here. That's definitely not happening.

The one thing I admire about the Pony Fandom is in it's creativity. Ponies seem to give the fanbase a drive to create anything and everything and speak their mind... just in the frame of ponies. For this video, aside from response to hate, it's that drive to say something that helped get that video made. A lot of fan content is enjoyable, though without the right self-filters we see things can get out of hand or in this case, inaccurate statements.

I don't know about this. Having had the misfortunate of watching the Jerry Springer show a few times, I feel like he's probably going to find the worst brony ever - like, say, someone like this stupid College Humor video or even a pedophile or someone who engages in actual bestiality - and use that to paint the whole fandom with that brush.
    Here's hoping he doesn't find that person but even still, like the article said, he could easily hire someone to portray a Brony if he doesn't get what he wants which is why I think acknowledging that it could happen and not overreacting to it may soften whatever he decides to say. It's pretty obvious to most people this stuff is for cheap laughs at this point.

And that's a bit harder for bronies, especially those who are struggling to explain their interest to others in their lives, to bounce back from than the usual stereotype of us on TV as "immature, socially maladjusted, live in their parents' basements" or whatever. At least his show isn't taken that seriously, though, and most people who watch it are probably those who would be dismissive of bronies anyway.
    It would be, though that's the beauty of the greater fan community. A lot of fans from within are willing to lend a hand to each other so it's that outward spirit that hopefully helps those that can't be as outgoing. It's probably also what might reinforce 'groupthink' but I'd rather it were more positive ones like that than the negative ones that just seem like mindless drones.

Why is it that the Anti Bronies who had a rough time with rabid MLP fantards on 4chan or the TF2 forums constantly think that the fans there are what the whole Brony community is like? Why must they generalize the fandom?
    On the subject of why certain people generalize and 'hate for no reason,' it's just easy to do.

Just as there are rabid fans who seem to have a hive mind over the most crazy new thing on the street, there are rabid haters that will collectively hate together because it's the 'in' thing.

Heh, this issue is probably one of the more complex things about the pony phenomenon I enjoy from a psychological perspective. I love observing it because watching the arguments play out seems to dredge up some universal constants that can apply to ANY fanbase evolving. This logic can apply to anything, anywhere. [If my major weren't something else, I would almost want to write a thesis on this]

A couple of observations:

1. THE INTERNET. You'll find no greater hive of scum and villainy on this series of tubes.
    No one is inherently good or evil, users all play roles outside their normal selves and project ideas in greater volume without the same restraints they would employ in real life so everything said is easily magnified. And this is where arguments arrive.

The trick is looking past this and figuring out the person behind the desk.

And really, don't take anything seriously. That's the easiest way to get into trouble.

2. Haters aren't all hate filled. Rabid fans aren't always rabid fans.

My friends don't like the pony because of these rabid fans they've encountered on the internet. They know I like ponies, but they never give me grief about it, and they've actually been interested in a pony related thing or two I may casually bring up.

Outside the internet, things can be much different. That isn't to say that it's possible some fans carry their rabidness to real life, just that it's more likely to be tamed. And most people I know that don't like the ponies in real life are typically well mannered individuals themselves, they've just been predisposed to thinking one way and don't have the time or interest to go about seeing it another. It's not wrong to think this way, just that they consider they have more important things going on they want to get to and ponies aren't a thing on their radar, nor does it have to be.

3. Everyone loves to hate
    Hating something can be much of a 'fad' as the fad itself.

Take the hate for the Twilight Series, Justin Beiber or Rebecca Black. Maybe some of it may be legitimate, but some people may never have even read or listened to them and blindly hate just because everyone is doing it. And then there are those who take it to extremes like "killing anything related to blah blah blah" just to make a joke. They probably don't even take the hate they dole out seriously, but they do it because it's the popular thing to do and easy to rip on.

Since ponies are the most visible thing on the internet and the odd demographic built around ponies have so much material to riff on because it's so out of the norm, there are people that will just take it and rip it apart for a quick gag joke.

4. Everyone's different

There are very obvious trolls out there that don't care what reactions they get one way or another. Some have actually been found to be fans of the show themselves but still inflame fans for fun. And then others will just hate because it's what they like to do.

But then there are legitimate people who just don't like the show or fans, and that's fine.

"Do not hate on ponies and their fans."
    Likewise I'd say "respect and don't hate on all haters. "

5. The Worst of both sides is concentrated

Generalization happens because the those bad minorities are the most visible.

In reality, the stuff spurned by the most rabid fans and most rabid haters come from only a handful of individuals. If you try and trace anyone involved, it's typically going to be the usual suspects arguing at the lead of the pack.

6. Let it be
    Fans aren't out there to 'convert' anyone. While I think the idea of it is whimsically hilarious and noble concept to have people let go of hate in general (and not because of a response to ponies), haters aren't something that need 'conquest' as seems to be espoused by a handful of the rabid fanbase.

If someone doesn't like them the first time, then I think it's fair that they wouldn't want to be continued to be smothered with ponies.

tl;dr;
    Hate will happen. Just keep calm and let the haters be, they'll stop complaining eventually and keep doing your own thing.

Or even simpler, keep calm and pony on.
    Last edited by Rayne; 10th August 2012 at 11:28 PM.

-In Simple Harmony-

Blog Entries

It is interesting that you bring up the Twilight and Justin Bieber hate because I feel like a lot of it is similar to the hatred bronies get; a lot of it's based on sexism. They're also things aimed at girls (albeit, a somewhat older audience of girls than MLP's target demographic) and, unlike MLP, they actually don't do much to appeal to people outside of that demographic. And yet there's a ridiculous amount of hate directed at fans on the Internet for being girls who are really excited about something girly. So it's no wonder that those same people take it an extra level when there are guys who like something girly, as with My Little Pony.

For the record, I don't like Justin Bieber but I really don't understand the level of hate surrounding him when he just seems like the latest flavor of teenage boy singer for teenage girls, like the Jonas Brothers, The Backstreet Boys and N*SYNC, New Kids on the Block etc. before him. There have always been and are always going to be forgettable pop singers banking on their cuteness and it doesn't represent any threat to the more serious music out there (which is probably why a lot of the hate comes from their peers on YouTube who I don't think understand this principle yet, as I didn't when I was that age). As for Twilight, I do take issue with the way that the series portrays what seems like an abusive relationship as ideal, as well as just the fact that the series is really poorly-written (and there's a lot of really awesome YA out there that is getting ignored instead), but I still don't like how a lot of the hate comes from a place of "girly = bad."

And as you said, it is worth noting that a lot of these so-called "haters" just get sick of how ubiquitous these things are when they're not interested in them. For example, as someone who spends a lot of time on Twitter, it does annoy me sometimes how pretty much every tweet that Justin Bieber even slightly directs at his fans results in them turning it into a trending topic, often bumping out actual news. You don't have to hate Justin Bieber or the "Beliebers" to find that annoying; you just have to be neutral about them. Just like not all fans are the same, not all haters are the same.
    matt0044 likes this.