Marvel Comics announces relaunched Marvel Universe (big changes, but no total reboot)

Thread: Marvel Comics announces relaunched Marvel Universe (big changes, but no total reboot)

Blog Entries

Default Marvel Comics announces relaunched Marvel Universe (big changes, but no total reboot)

Source w/ image.

Marvel Comics is embroiled in Avengers vs. X-Men, a crossover event which follows an all-out war between the publisher’s iconic superteams. When Avengers vs. X-Men reaches its conclusion, the stage will be set for a massive restructuring of the Marvel Universe. “It’s not hype when we say that AvX is the culmination of a lot of stories we’ve done over the last several years,” says Marvel editor-in-chief Axel Alonso. “Characters are redeemed or not. Characters are changed. The X-Men and the Avengers are both repositioned for the future. What better time to shake things up? “

And Marvel is shaking things up. Entertainment Weekly is excited to exclusively announce Marvel NOW!, a massive new initiative that will launch new titles and relaunch old ones starting in October. Some of the company’s top storytellers are leaping from one corner of the Marvel Universe to another. Brian Michael Bendis is leaving the Avengers for a new X-Men book; Jonathan Hickman will end his run on Fantastic Four before kick-starting a new twice-monthly, jampacked Avengers book; and Rick Remender will begin work on the flagship title of the new era, Uncanny Avengers, a book that will blend Avengers and X-Men characters into one superteam. “I’m excited about taking creators out of their relative comfort zones,” says Alonso.

Of course, this isn’t the first time that a major comics publisher has inaugurated a new era with new creative teams and new #1′s: Just last year, DC Comics relaunched their entire line with The New 52. But Alonso is quick to draw a sharp contrast between DC’s initiative and Marvel NOW! “This ain’t a reboot. It’s a new beginning.” Unlike New 52, Marvel NOW! will roll out gradually over a few months, with creators finishing off their runs and then starting new ones. “I feel that it’s a much more humane approach for retailers and fans to tell them: ‘Look. In the months of October through February, every week you can go into a comic book store and find a few new jumping-on points for the Marvel Universe, a place you’re going to like visiting. Or revisiting.”
    Another source (same image).

"Uncanny Avengers" by Rick Remender and John Cassaday starring a team composed of Captain America, Wolverine and others from the company's two powerhouse franchises battling the mutant-hating Red Skull.

"All New X-Men" by Brian Michael Bendis and Stuart Immonen realigning the mutant team in the wake of "AvX" as the original five X-Men are mysteriously brought to the present day. This title will launch in November.

"Avengers" by Jonathan Hickman and Jerome Opena, which is light on specific details aside from a roster of 18 heroes in a bi-weekly comic that seems to be Hickman-esque rethinking of the Avengers core mission in the vein of the writer's "Fantastic Four" run.
    I'm intrigued, but wary. I hate the idea of bringing back the original X-Men just to get Jean back (and I guess the original Angel and Beast), but I'm wondering how new X-ray vision Cyclops (as I'm calling him) will interact with his younger self (if at all). Robo-Hulk looks interesting, at least. As does Iron Man's new armor. And, finally...Marvel gives Cable an eyepatch. It's the only thing he was missing. Thor with swords seems...unnecessary, though (especially with two. I mean, he has the hammer. Why does he also need TWO swords?). I do like Cap getting his movie armor, and it's nice to see Marcus Johnson/Nick Fury Jr. helping make the mainstream Marvel universe look like the films.

Nice to see Marvel stealing DC's relaunch idea without rebooting their own continuity. Helps in nerd debates.

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Marvel Comics announces relaunched Marvel Universe (big changes, but no total reb

I wonder how this will work out in the end, boy, are people going to have a field day with this...
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account