The Last Airbender:The Legend of Korra - Page 5

Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Like Tree194Likes

Thread: The Last Airbender:The Legend of Korra

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Last Airbender:The Legend of Korra

Sorry for the double post, but ONE DAY LEFT. THIS IS INSANE.

SO MUCH HYPE.

EVERYONE IN AMERICA, WATCH IT.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Here's my assessment.

I saw it... there were certain things I liked and certain things I disliked.
    First and foremost, I'm glad they killed off Aang. Leaving him would have been a huge plot hole. Why did I think that Aang was still going to be alive? Because this thread is titled "The Last Airbender" (referring to Aang), lol

One thing that I really didn't like right off the bat was the polar bear dog. First off, I didn't even see the "polar bear" part until they said what it was... it just looked like a big ugly dog. Second, I don't like it that they made up a completely new species for something domesticated... you'd think that if there was a such thing as a polar bear dog then they would have been in the original series.
    Then we've got Korra... I don't like her character at all. It's as if they combined the negative aspects of Katara and Toph and even Zuko all into one character and made her into some sort of arogant prodigy. The fact that she was firebending and earthbending when she was a little kid made absolutely no sense... you aren't just born knowing stuff, you've gotta learn it somewhere. And seeing as she lived at the south pole her whole life and never even seen a firebender or earthbender then there's no way she would have picked it up. And she mentions "I've always wanted to see a pro-bending match"... how does she even know what a pro-bending match is?! Unless she had a radio and it broadcasted all the way out to her water village or something.
    And then there's Tenzin... he is not like any traditional airbender seen so far. Perhaps this is because in the past 100-200 years the times have changed and he has become more modernized... still I think they did a bad job mixing the ancient traditions with the modern world. They're supposed to be spiritual monks and not concerned with the earthly aspect of things, yet Tenzin is a politician?!
    And there's Bolin and Mako... brothers but they have different types of bending. That doesn't really seem possible unless there's some sort of genetic aspect to it, but that's like the midichlorian crap in Star Wars and it would have been better if they didn't get into it. As a matter of fact, bending never really made much sense... why can no one except the avatar learn more than one type of bending? It does seem like a skill that you learn (especially since it is stated that bending was learned from various natural sources), rather than something genetic.
    And there's tons of minor details that I really didn't like... specifically that one airbender boy. Man, he was hideous. I don't know what was up with that. And the police were skilled at metal bending? Metal bending is supposed to be a very difficult technique to learn / master... there's no way that random every-day police officers would have been able to use it. They should have just stuck with earthbending.

Overall I thought it was pretty good though... probably better than the first 2 episodes of the original series. I'm a bit concerned with the direction that this is headed though... it appears (unless I'm misinterpretting this) that the main bad guys are those bending protesters. That doesn't really seem like a big deal... without bending then where's the challenge? And they're just protestors, it's as if the avatar / the government is going to silence them for no real reason at all?!
    Last edited by Xenidal; 15th April 2012 at 11:18 AM.
    Robo-Floatzel likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow SaxyStar on Tumblr Visit SaxyStar's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by dannyjenn View Post
    And she mentions "I've always wanted to see a pro-bending match"... how does she even know what a pro-bending match is?! Unless she had a radio and it broadcasted all the way out to her water village or something.
    And you know what I thought was weird, too? The fact that she didn't really know the game's rules even though she's such a huge fan. I mean, I know she'd never seen the game in person before, but you'd think she'd have picked up on the basic things from listening so much.

Trophies

Follow Pokelova on Tumblr

I saw it... there were certain things I liked and certain things I disliked.
    First and foremost, I'm glad they killed off Aang. Leaving him would have been a huge plot hole. Why did I think that Aang was still going to be alive? Because this thread is titled "The Last Airbender" (referring to Aang), lol

One thing that I really didn't like right off the bat was the polar bear dog. First off, I didn't even see the "polar bear" part until they said what it was... it just looked like a big ugly dog. Second, I don't like it that they made up a completely new species for something domesticated... you'd think that if there was a such thing as a polar bear dog then they would have been in the original series.
    Then we've got Korra... I don't like her character at all. It's as if they combined the negative aspects of Katara and Toph and even Zuko all into one character and made her into some sort of arogant prodigy. The fact that she was firebending and earthbending when she was a little kid made absolutely no sense... you aren't just born knowing stuff, you've gotta learn it somewhere. And seeing as she lived at the south pole her whole life and never even seen a firebender or earthbender then there's no way she would have picked it up. And she mentions "I've always wanted to see a pro-bending match"... how does she even know what a pro-bending match is?! Unless she had a radio and it broadcasted all the way out to her water village or something.
    And then there's Tenzin... he is not like any traditional airbender seen so far. Perhaps this is because in the past 100-200 years the times have changed and he has become more modernized... still I think they did a bad job mixing the ancient traditions with the modern world. They're supposed to be spiritual monks and not concerned with the earthly aspect of things, yet Tenzin is a politician?!
    And there's Bolin and Mako... brothers but they have different types of bending. That doesn't really seem possible unless there's some sort of genetic aspect to it, but that's like the midichlorian crap in Star Wars and it would have been better if they didn't get into it. As a matter of fact, bending never really made much sense... why can no one except the avatar learn more than one type of bending? It does seem like a skill that you learn (especially since it is stated that bending was learned from various natural sources), rather than something genetic.
    And there's tons of minor details that I really didn't like... specifically that one airbender boy. Man, he was hideous. I don't know what was up with that. And the police were skilled at metal bending? Metal bending is supposed to be a very difficult technique to learn / master... there's no way that random every-day police officers would have been able to use it. They should have just stuck with earthbending.

Overall I thought it was pretty good though... probably better than the first 2 episodes of the original series. I'm a bit concerned with the direction that this is headed though... it appears (unless I'm misinterpretting this) that the main bad guys are those bending protesters. That doesn't really seem like a big deal... without bending then where's the challenge? And they're just protestors, it's as if the avatar / the government is going to silence them for no real reason at all?!
    Wow, you just love complaining, don't you?
    Pokelova's Shiny Collection

Read my last paragraph... I said I liked it overall. I was just pointing out some of the things that I didn't like about it.
    Robo-Floatzel likes this.

Blog Entries

it's so awesome seeing bryke in this form again. I was very surprised seeing Korra bend three elements when she was so young.
    Can't wait to see her in the avatar state. this show had started off well and i hope it lives up to what i felt when watching TLA.

some kind of madness TwilightBlade's Avatar Moderator

Crazy hybrids are not uncommon in the Avatar series. Word of God says only avatar Korra has tamed a polar bear dog. Maybe that's why it is fairly new to the series.

Then we've got Korra... I don't like her character at all. It's as if they combined the negative aspects of Katara and Toph and even Zuko all into one character and made her into some sort of arogant prodigy. The fact that she was firebending and earthbending when she was a little kid made absolutely no sense... you aren't just born knowing stuff, you've gotta learn it somewhere. And seeing as she lived at the south pole her whole life and never even seen a firebender or earthbender then there's no way she would have picked it up.
    This strikes me as somewhat odd too. The show does seem to play with the theme of how she's a "natural" prodigy. She relishes in the fact she's the Avatar. The arrogance is gonna cost her, of course. She may have learned the skills on accident (unlikely, though). Her parents could have gotten some bending scrolls from.. err.. pirates! Korra has easy access to fire and earth in her home.

Bending is both genetic and spiritual (and talent, stresses the creators). Aang and Katara have three children: a waterbender, a non-bender, and an airbender. A multicultural family can easily produce children with different bending capabilities. Bolin and Mako are also of a multicultural family. They appear to be orphans living in the attic of the arena, though.

Oh, as for the avatar. This is what I figure: The avatar is a spirit that is reincarnated in the cycles. It serves to learn about and protect humans by immersing itself in the human world. It has access to all past (bending) knowledge and spirits guides in the avatar state... It's just super spiritual and powerful, thus granting it the unique ability to bend the 4 elements. It harmonizes the 4 elements to harmonize cultures, bringing peace to humanity.

In the graphic novels The Promise, Toph shows interest in being a teacher. It is very likely she teaches her metalbending to her daughter and to some extent, the police.

Amon reveals a secret in episode 3. He's quite the threat.

Well, that's all I can try to answer.

Overall I like it too! I got my dad watching it with me. We are just here for the ride. :D
    Last edited by TwilightBlade; 15th April 2012 at 09:54 PM.
    Continent Turtle and Feng like this.
    trade station
    art gallery
    ❝In this world, there are things you have to protect even if your hands get stained with blood.❞

Blog Entries

Visit VirtualAnomaly's Youtube Channel

It was a great first episode. I finally have something new to watch (cartoon-wise) on Saturday mornings! :D

I think Korra is going to be fun to watch grow up. Like how we saw Aang grow up from a goofy kid to a still slightly goofy but very serious and mature young man.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

AMON WAS GRANTED THE ABILITY TO TAKE AWAY SOMEONE'S BENDING BY THE SPIRITS!? Dang what a very painful site.

He's using members of the local gangs as examples. Bolin's trapped too.

Mako can bend Fire as well as Electricity like Zuko could! Chi-Blocking Equalist bad guys!

Wow, this is crazy!

Amon's family were killed by Firebenders and took his face from him.

Reairs again at 2PM ^^ I'll be watching again.
    Last edited by Bubble Frog; 21st April 2012 at 02:03 PM.

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

That explains why he's so against Bending. Its pretty scary he can just remove someone's bending power, I can see Korra having a lot of trouble taking him down. Also its awesome that Mako can lightningbend.

Blog Entries

Amon reminds me of the Bolshevik Revolution. Wow, just terrifying how he woos the common people in Republic City just like how Lenin persuaded the peasants to overthrow the Russian Empire.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Feng View Post
    Amon reminds me of the Bolshevik Revolution. Wow, just terrifying how he woos the common people in Republic City just like how Lenin persuaded the peasants to overthrow the Russian Empire.

yep, i thought this too. and they happen in similar times. i see TLA as the 1840s/50s, and korra being the 1910s/20s
    the bolshevik revolution happened in 1917.

El_
    Blog Entries

Really loving this show, its currently my favorite thing to watch so far. : D

Korra is an amazing Avatar and even though I liked Aang alot I'm glad that shes essentially his opposite. Shes so funny and doesn't take anything from anyone, though shes going to have her work cut out for her with the "Equalist" movement.

Also loving how this series now has gangstas in it XD Something that I thought I'd never see in this series, but I also thought that they'd never have it set in a modern setting (what looks to be America) to boot.

N set by smalllady
    Ideals/Truth

Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast