The Last Airbender:The Legend of Korra - Page 39
Page 39 of 53 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Airbender:The Legend of Korra

Default Re: The Last Airbender:The Legend of Korra

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Though Lin is pretty badass, I don't think she's great at EVERYTHING or needs to be and we just seen less of it (c'mon Book 3!). Plus, it's fun to connect the dots as viewers (such is the benefit of a fandom) as this show tends to let the visuals do more talking than you'd think.
    WHOOPS I NEVER CHECK THIS THREAD.

Regarding Lin, I still find it hard to believe that they'd be that subtle, though. In the end, this is still a children's show, which means that they're fairly open on the ultimate motives of their characters (I'm trying to think of an instance in which either AtLA or LoK hinted at someone's motivations/secretly involved and never outright said it). Even when they do less obvious things/more symbolic stuff, they tend to keep people's actions clear, even if their feelings/thoughts/internal crises are more left up to the viewer. And, on top of that, they sometimes still end up highlighting it--all of that subtle identity/Korra is more than just an Avatar/Korra as a person vs Korra as an Avatar stuff that was created through seasons one through two got blatantly stated in the finale.

tl;dr I want it to be true, but I don't think it is? XD

BUT COOLER MORE IMPORTANT STUFF:

So, Book Three: Change, has been announced. Spoilers for those who don't want to get spoiled:

Quote Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
    Regarding Lin, I still find it hard to believe that they'd be that subtle, though.
    I disagree.

Though even then, I still think Lin was just following normal procedures and keeping things on the down low unlike Mako. Just saying.

This is it. Korra's curtain call.
    My Tumblr

=there is a female villain voiced by the same woman who did Azula, but she is not a firebender
    I'm pretty sure they just called her a "bad girl", not necessarily a villain.

Regarding Lin, I still find it hard to believe that they'd be that subtle, though.
    I disagree.

Though even then, I still think Lin was just following normal procedures and keeping things on the down low unlike Mako. Just saying.
    AtLA has its fair share of fridge, yes, but none of those really contradict what was openly stated in the show? (like, sure, Zuko is doing right what his father did wrong. Nowhere in the show does it say he intended to do otherwise/nowhere in the show did he act otherwise).

I feel like we're just arguing semantics here, I guess? I would happily accept that Lin was aware of Varrick's nefarious plans if there had been more foreshadowing about it, if she'd previously been established to have played chessmaster/done clever corruption-catching before, if she later admitted it, etc. Otherwise, I don't think there's enough evidence to prove or disprove.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokelova View Post
    I'm pretty sure they just called her a "bad girl", not necessarily a villain.
    Whoops, this is why I shouldn't trust my second-hand news sources.

I disagree.

AtLA has its fair share of fridge, yes, but none of those really contradict what was openly stated in the show? (like, sure, Zuko is doing right what his father did wrong. Nowhere in the show does it say he intended to do otherwise/nowhere in the show did he act otherwise).

I feel like we're just arguing semantics here, I guess? I would happily accept that Lin was aware of Varrick's nefarious plans if there had been more foreshadowing about it, if she'd previously been established to have played chessmaster/done clever corruption-catching before, if she later admitted it, etc. Otherwise, I don't think there's enough evidence to prove or disprove.
    Of course, there's this to consider.

My Tumblr

Not A Piece of Cake Bubble Frog's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

My love/ability to care for a good number of the Korra characters has kinda waned a large amount since the debut, I honestly expected more from Bolin thus far. But he's been playing more of a comedic role most of the time, Korra/Mako's love stuff kind of drained me, Asami's just a bit bland at times, etc. Lin Bei Fong is cool, I just have a massive problem with her and the whole Republic City police force holding the idiot ball with such magnitude for all of Book 3, it was ridiculous. The thing I really like about ATLA, shipping was never prioritized over the plot nor characterization, nor character development or any other glowing aspects that you add to the formula of a fun show. TLOK took the ideals and beat them with a hammer, Book 2 was better than Book 1 by far. But everything just felt so over the top, axing the Avatar's past lives, the whole evil Vaatu monstrosity thing, I just wonder how they could raise the stakes any higher than 10,000 years of darkness.

In regard to Lin, I suppose I should clarify: I don't like how her ignoring of Mako's actions was used as a plot device solely to impede Mako. It's like the overbearing parent trope in superhero films--we, the audience, know with about sixty percent confidence that Mako's actually on to something useful by the time he finds the explosive device (and even if he's not, law of "Only the Main Cast Does Anything Ever" ensures that he'll be right eventually), so Lin's opposition, to me, existed only as a way to make Mako's job harder. Since Lin was basically my favorite character from Book 1 and I'd been hoping to see more of her in Book 2, having her only appear to shoot down Mako really sucked, especially when she was playing a much more sizable roll from Book 1. Yes, her reasoning is sound, and yes, Mako's evidence is foolish and the mustache detectives have a decent case on their own, but we as the audience know for sure that mustache detectives are wrong because they act like jerks (which, sadly, is how the morality tends to fall in children's shows, although I'm sure there are several counterexamples), so Lin's actions are so obviously not-what-I-would-do (and, to me, not-what-she-would-do, given that she's had no qualms in going behind the back of the law to get things done before, but I don't have a firm grip on her character yet) that it got annoying. Having Mako be the Super Special Guy who catches on to the Obviously Evil Plot while Lin/everyone else flounders, then, is really my beef with the situation.

I enjoyed the buildup of Book 1 immeasurably more than the first half or so of Book 2. Have mixed feelings on the endings of both of them, though, although I'm well aware of the reasons for the compressed ending of Book 1 (if less aware of the... somewhat interesting ending of Book 2). However, watching LOK has basically reinforced to me how amazing of a kid's show ATLA actually was.

Also, word of god says that shipping is going to take a permanent backseat in future installments? If so, I am much excite.

Turning over a new leaf KaiTheAirbender's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well Book 3 is waiting for us and I'm really excited for this book! I was very pleased with how Book 2 wrapped up and it opened the Avatar universe to an entirely new direction! Anyway for those who don't want spoilers, I have some comments to make about Book 3 in the spoilers.

Also one thing I gotta get off my chest
    "You think you can kidnap Jinora and all these baby bisons!? >:U"

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBoy210 View Post
    Not to mention it has been said we'll be seeing the Earth Queen which makes me think we'll be revisiting Ba Sing Se.
    I don't think that has been said. They've confirmed that the current Earth Kingdom ruler is a queen, but I don't recall them confirming that we'd see her. Certainly a possibility though.

In regard to Lin, I suppose I should clarify: I don't like how her ignoring of Mako's actions was used as a plot device solely to impede Mako. It's like the overbearing parent trope in superhero films--we, the audience, know with about sixty percent confidence that Mako's actually on to something useful by the time he finds the explosive device (and even if he's not, law of "Only the Main Cast Does Anything Ever" ensures that he'll be right eventually), so Lin's opposition, to me, existed only as a way to make Mako's job harder.
    Although I agree the trope is far from my favorite, it's still not bad as in unrealistic (which wouldn't made things worse). And honestly, does Lin have to be good at everything?

Since Lin was basically my favorite character from Book 1 and I'd been hoping to see more of her in Book 2,
    Don't worry. Book 3 has been confirmed to satisfy your cravings...

Yes, her reasoning is sound, and yes, Mako's evidence is foolish and the mustache detectives have a decent case on their own, but we as the audience know for sure that mustache detectives are wrong because they act like jerks (which, sadly, is how the morality tends to fall in children's shows, although I'm sure there are several counterexamples), so Lin's actions are so obviously not-what-I-would-do (and, to me, not-what-she-would-do, given that she's had no qualms in going behind the back of the law to get things done before, but I don't have a firm grip on her character yet) that it got annoying.
    I think this is where I see things differently. I'm able to look past annoying aspects if it's something that really could happen. You can't because, well, it's annoying.

Having Mako be the Super Special Guy who catches on to the Obviously Evil Plot while Lin/everyone else flounders, then, is really my beef with the situation.
    To be fair, Bolin was the one who truly got the truth exposed (and had an awesome fight during the movie too).

Also, word of god says that shipping is going to take a permanent backseat in future installments? If so, I am much excite.
    More like a side-dish to the main course.

My Tumblr

Although I agree the trope is far from my favorite, it's still not bad as in unrealistic (which wouldn't made things worse). And honestly, does Lin have to be good at everything?
    Not at all. Just like I don't like seeing characters always good at everything, however, I don't enjoy seeing them always bad at everything as well. Here, we only see Lin's being derpish, with the focus of all of the valid reasons as to why she would be siding with mustache detectives shafted in favor of "OH NO GUYS SHE CHOSE MUSTACHE DETECTIVES INSTEAD OF MAKO HOW COULD SHE!!11!"

I don't know; at this stage, we may as well just agree to disagree and call it a day. XD

I don't know; at this stage, we may as well just agree to disagree and call it a day. XD
    Yes. Let's.

Though putting it as "bad at everything" I find to be pushing it...

My Tumblr

cheese! Insanish Danish's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Insanish Danish on Tumblr

I don't know where everyone's getting the idea that Bryke are getting rid of shipping in LOK when that was never actually stated. They were being interviewed and someone asked about the romance, and Bryan more or less stated that they were going to "leave that one alone" or something along those lines. Then for whatever reason everyone took this to mean that they were axing the romance completely and now everyone seems to think that, when that was never even said.

Personally I don't care; I never found the romance as a hindrance to the series like everyone else seems to.
    back to being a non-edible pastry

Quote Originally Posted by Terezi Pyrope View Post
    Personally I don't care; I never found the romance as a hindrance to the series like everyone else seems to.
    I agree as well.

About the "Light in the Dark" message...

My Tumblr

So apparently, there will be more info on Book 3 on the 13th or so. Considering the new footage in the commercial aired overseas, it's hardly a coincidence...

Ah, how I love Korra.

My Tumblr

Page 39 of 53 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast