Like Tree194Likes

Thread: The Last Airbender:The Legend of Korra

Turtles All The Way Down Continent Turtle's Avatar
    Add Continent Turtle on Facebook
    Visit Continent Turtle's Youtube Channel

Default Re: The Last Airbender:The Legend of Korra

Quote Originally Posted by Iteru View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kthleen View Post
    They're also aware that no matter what they do romance-wise, they'll "always upset most people."
    Honestly, if they realise they upset most people with their romance plots, then its fairly obvious that they can't do them well.
    Or, they CAN do them well, if they want it, but I think they're trying to mess with the shippers. I would.
    I claimed Leavanny!
    I claimed Albert Wesker!
    I claimed Ghirahim!

追放されたバカ

Quote Originally Posted by Continent Turtle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iteru View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kthleen View Post
    They're also aware that no matter what they do romance-wise, they'll "always upset most people."
    Honestly, if they realise they upset most people with their romance plots, then its fairly obvious that they can't do them well.
    Or, they CAN do them well, if they want it, but I think they're trying to mess with the shippers. I would.
    I am actually hoping the producers are just trying to mess with the shippers. Would make things a whole lot more interesting.

Falling, but Rising Again Renewal's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And Avatar's one of those fandoms with infamously rabid shippers. Look how long Zutara persisted--before we knew anything about Mako or Korra, they were already proclaiming Makorra as the new Zutara. Avatar's at worst average regarding romance subplots; it's just that fans (both shippers and non-shippers) have absurd expectations regarding them.

And plus, Bryke are good sports about it and do enjoy trolling the fanbase.

EDIT: Huh, 1300 posts. Lucky me .

Quote Originally Posted by Renewal View Post
    And Avatar's one of those fandoms with infamously rabid shippers. Look how long Zutara persisted--before we knew anything about Mako or Korra, they were already proclaiming Makorra as the new Zutara. Avatar's at worst average regarding romance subplots; it's just that fans (both shippers and non-shippers) have absurd expectations regarding them.

And plus, Bryke are good sports about it and do enjoy trolling the fanbase.

EDIT: Huh, 1300 posts. Lucky me .
    Not only that, but it's one of those fandoms where it's a Herculean task to avoid those shippers, never mind ignore them.

Blog Entries

I've never been able to figure out why there's such a bad case of shipping in the Avatar fandom. I mean, it was supposed to be a kid's show at first. I think there'll be more now that old Avatar fans are older, and because the LEgend of Korra seems to be for people a little bit older too.
    I don't always resist, but when I do, it's with The Resistance. Stay resistant, my friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Defense
    After all, what is a Resistance member if he doesn't resist?

Blog Entries

It's okay. It does look kinda cute. I'm glad to see Katara reappearing - she's an old woman in this series. (Katara was my favourite character in Avatar: The Last Airbender.)

Turtles All The Way Down Continent Turtle's Avatar
    Add Continent Turtle on Facebook
    Visit Continent Turtle's Youtube Channel

Ugh, today aired Welcome to Republic City in the Netherlands. I have to tell you, the dub was horrible. Korra's voice sounded like it was a 10 year old girl, Korra's mum sounded like she was 50/60, Tenzin's voice was too high, and whereas Ikki was awesome with her original voice, this Ikki sounds like she's on crack, and bad crack it is. I'm seriously disappointed because I expected a lot more. The rest of the voices were average, and the Lieutenant's and Amon's voices were the only positive thing about the dub. They were the only ones that didn't suck, and punch the head of Nickelodeon in the face because of it.
    I claimed Leavanny!
    I claimed Albert Wesker!
    I claimed Ghirahim!

Blog Entries

Default The Legend of Korra: Book 2 - Spirits

Remember this show? You should! It was one of the best animated series of 2012. And it's coming back for the next season.

This thread is primarily a place to discuss Book One and the elements that make up the show, as well as speculation and information about Book Two. Here's what we know so far:

- Book 2 takes place 6 months after the end of Book One.
    - It will have 14 episodes.
    - The setting will expand beyond Republic City and will deal with the Spirit World as well as spirits.
    - Many new characters will be introduced, Kya and Bumi from Tenzin's family and Korra's extended family.
    - Korra, as we all know, is now a complete Avatar. Mako is now a cop. Asami is the CEO of a nearly-bankrupt Future Industries. Bolin is the only original member remaining on the Fire Ferrets.
    - The first episode is called Rebel Spirit.

Here are some interesting things from Book One that you might've missed: The Legend of Korra - Television Tropes & Idioms

It's been over a year since the last season ended, and it's been on a longer hiatus than A:TLA ever was. Fortunately, it's been confirmed for Fall 2013 in Canada, and will likely be on Nickolodeon at the same time. A premiere date should be announced at the SDCC this month.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Default Re: The Legend of Korra: Book 2 - Spirits

This sounds pretty cool. I'd like to see how they handle the Spirit World and the spirits in general in this season. I'm also eager to see more of Aang's children since Tenzin is one of my favorite characters from this series and Korra's extended family should be interesting too.

I do hope that his season improves from the first one. The first season had an excellent start and did a great job with establishing the characters, setting and new conflict. I think that it had a lackluster conclusion, particularly with Korra learning Air bending when it hadn't gotten much focus and then Aang restoring her powers, even though aside from one episode, she didn't do much to focus more on the spiritual side of being an Avatar. I also hated how much attention they gave to the love triangle. It's still by no means a bad season. I just think that it tried to do too much with a small amount of episodes and it didn't quite pay off at the end. Hopefully, this season will improve on some of the issues I had with the first season and will be better as a result.
    Robo-Floatzel likes this.

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Legend of Korra: Book 2 - Spirits

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    I do hope that his season improves from the first one. The first season had an excellent start and did a great job with establishing the characters, setting and new conflict. I think that it had a lackluster conclusion, particularly with Korra learning Air bending when it hadn't gotten much focus and then Aang restoring her powers, even though aside from one episode, she didn't do much to focus more on the spiritual side of being an Avatar. I also hated how much attention they gave to the love triangle. It's still by no means a bad season. I just think that it tried to do too much with a small amount of episodes and it didn't quite pay off at the end. Hopefully, this season will improve on some of the issues I had with the first season and will be better as a result.
    I sorta agree but first, some food for thought from the TV Tropes Fridge Brilliance page (there's a lot though):

*Why was Korra able to air-bend, even after Amon had taken away her bending? Amon takes his victims bending away by physical means (bloodbending). As air is the most spiritual of all the bending elements, Korra's airbending potential was not affected by Amon's block.

*Or it was a case where she turned to her spiritual side in another moment of helplessness. While she was not as realized as Aang that she could energybend her connections to all 4 elements, it was still enough to restore her connection to air, which was the most spiritual of the elements and which was spiritually the "nearest" within reach. Had Korra been a fully realized Avatar, she could have undone Amon's bloodbending completely with the Avatar State.

*The most plausible reason is the chakras. She was able to airbend when Mako was in danger of losing his bending. Which is the chakra that is opened by love? THE AIR CHAKRA, located in the heart. The first 3 chakras deal with Earth, Water and Fire respectively. When this chakra opened, it gave Korra her spiritual connection to the air element, and that did the trick.

*How did Aang get the grip of Earthbending? He was forced to hold his ground and force the moose-lion head on to save Sokka, who would have been killed if he had dodged on that run. Now that he's got the attitude, he has no more issues with it. How did Korra get the grip over Airbending? When Mako was in danger. It really doesn't take that long to get the hang of it. Seeing a loved one in danger is one of the most powerful triggers that removes all physical and psychological limits that the brain imposes on the body for its safety.

*Or even simpler than that, Amon never took away her airbending in the first place. Why? Because he couldn't! He had never debent an airbender before; He never got the chance to take away Tenzin and his family's. and probably assumed that it was no different from the other elements. He was wrong.
    *Stay with me here, because this is a long one and it deserves quite a bit of thought. The ending seems overly rushed. Aang almost becomes the Deus ex Machina when he suddenly appears and claims that Korra has connected to her spiritual side out of the blue, before restoring Korra's bending and making her a fully realized Avatar by completing the connection with all her past lives and activating the Avatar State. But when you think of it, there's a LOT that's happened in Korra's spiritual development leading up to this point. Korra's been trying to train spiritually for years and was trained by Tenzin for quite a while, and it was beginning to work very well. Her abilities at the end of Episode 9 was already on par with Aang in season 3 of ATLA. Also Korra's style and personality are like that of Earth, stubborn and unyielding. It's only when she's totally put into a situation where her current approach cannot work, does she suddenly get the hold of airbending and is able to connect with Aang's visions. That is saying a lot about chakras at work in her spiritual and airbending blocks. That's the key to explaining how the ending turned out the way it did. Korra's hitting the absolute low was the final turning point, but there was a lot of spiritual development that had happened up to that point.

*The Earth Chakra was opened when Korra learnt to face her fear of dealing with Amon. The Water Chakra was opened when she was able to overcome her guilt when she got over the love triangle by forgiveness and got them through into the final, though it might have even happened before that when she got the knack of the airbending movements. The Fire Chakra was opened up when she reconciled with Tenzin over her shame of not being able to airbend or being spiritually weak, and when she finally connected with Aang. The Air Chakra was obviously opened by love, and I mean Mako. The Sound Chakra was opened when she understood Tarrlok and Amon's true identities, and Amon building his whole movement on lying over his backstory. The Hiroshi Sato reveal also definitely had something to do with it. The light Chakra was probably opened somewhere between Korra realizing that she could still airbend and Amon's makeup job and waterbending powers exposed. The air chakra was probably fully open in that moment where Mako was about to lose his bending, which is why she could Airbend. Finally the last chakra was unblocked when she was planning to leave everyone and told Mako to leave her for good, despite the fact that both truly loved each other by this point - probably she was contemplating suicide, now that she could no longer do her job as the Avatar and called Aang, likely with the intention of taking her away to the spirit world, which is when she gave up attachment. That's when all her chakras were open and her spiritual connection became truly complete. While it's difficult to often pinpoint the incident as the cause of opening her chakras, it's clear that following Character Development Korra already very spiritual by the end and had successfully opened all her chakras allowed her to master the Avatar state. All that was now needed was a little help from Aang to energybend her broken connections.

*This also makes sense why Korra never went into the Avatar State despite being in danger so often. She had already begun to open her chakras, and until all the chakras were opened, she couldn't enter it.

*This also suggests that Korra's restrained and cocooned upbringing in that South Pole fortress also caused the spiritual block in her owing to insufficient Character Development. Katara knew this, the White Lotus didn't. Tenzin figured it out after Korra's first pro-bending match that her spirit really needs freedom to grow.

*Aang's statement that in her lowest moments, she was open to the greatest change, was just summing up the way she had unknowingly more and more spiritual by life experience. Aang's energybending was the last piece of the puzzle. Now Korra having lost her connection to 3 elements is totally helpless to solve things by her usual badassery and so has had to let go of her pride, the reason for her spiritual block. All this time she had been feeling that she never needed the spiritual side because she had been so Badass, but now she had been humbled and her spirit was malleable to Aang's energybending. All that was left for Aang to do was to energybend Korra to restore her bending.

*It makes more Fridge Brilliance. Becoming a fully realized Avatar involves mastering both the physical and spiritual sides of bending. The two of them are related and influence each other. Aang could bend with his chakras closed. He was wounded by lightning, and while he could still bend all the elements, he had lost his spiritual connection to all but 4 of his past lives and the Avatar State. He regained it by a purely physical means of having his blocked chi paths opened up by a sharp rock, which spiritually unblocked him. Throughout the series there has been quite a connection between Energybending and the Avatar State, with Aang using the Avatar State to debend Ozai and Yakhone. He was shown to have mastered the Avatar State after he had successfully energybended Ozai. Korra on the other hand, as the opposite of Aang, lost her connection to the physical side of bending, but by that point her chakras were open, she had completely mastered the spiritual side and connected with the spirits of the past Avatars, thus allowing her to master the Avatar State. Aang then uses the Avatar State to energybend Korra at a spiritual level, restoring her physical connection to her elements, making Korra a fully realized Avatar.

*Ah, if only some of this had been explained or at least pointed out in the dialgoue, the ending would have been much better appreciated

*It's already been noted by a lot of fans before that the plot is symbolic of how the chakras are opened, by dealing with fear, guilt, shame, grief (and love), truth and lies, illusion and attachment. Aang's chakras were blocked by all his experiences and the fact that he had responded in the manner that would lock them up. Korra on the other hand face similar situations but responded in the way that would open them. Maybe the writers know that ATLA fans aren't morons and don't feel the need to spell out the beautiful symbolism behind the plot, which would cheapen the effect.
    *Amon/Noatak's single tear just 2 seconds before the boat blew up and Tarrlok's statement that "It will be just like the good old days...". He probably knew his brother was lying because there was no way that they could go back to the way they were before, and it makes you wonder if he knew what was coming.

*Also, Noatak might have been able to sense Tarrlok's arm moving, being a bloodbender and all.
    *At first glance, it can seem as though the father/daughter like bond that’s formed between Korra and Tenzin is happening a little fast. But then you have to consider that all the years that Korra’s been in that training camp, Katara’s been there with her. So every time Tenzin and his family has gone to see his mother, they’ve probably visited with Korra at the same time, watching her grow up, being part of her life and vice versa. Look at the way Tenzin’s children greet Korra at the dock near the end of the first episode, it’s a lot like how kids might welcome their favorite older cousin.

*Also Korra is the reincarnation of his father, their grandfather. This comes straight out of the original series. "Some friendships are so strong they transcend lifetimes."
    *The chakra symbology is everywhere in this show, right from bending techniques, to Character Development, spiritual connections, gambits, politics, reveals and even Love Triangles. Look for it and you'll see there's much more to Korra's story than what meets the eye.

*This series is playing out the awakening of the chakras as it progresses. Korra has dealt with fear, guilt, shame, grief, lies and probably illusion with each successive episode apart from learning Freedom of spirit since her years at the South pole. Now she's almost ready to master the spiritual side of being the Avatar. Only one more chakra to go.

*It makes sense why she couldn't master the spiritual side easily. She was locked up in a cozy, cocooned world and had none of the life changing experiences or the kind of training that Aang received. But now it looks like all that might just be about to change.

*Especially since the whole point of the Avatar Cycle is giving the planet's spirit a chance to experience life from a mortal perspective. Locking it up in a compound was detrimental to what the Avatar spirit wanted/needed.

*In this episode (The Voice in the Night), Korra deals with fear. In "Spirit of the Competition," Korra deals with Love and Grief. Is she unlocking the chakras with these experiences? So maybe these seemingly filler episodes aren't fillers and all, and Korra is going though a character arc that will allow her to master the spiritual side of bending.
    Why does Tenzin change his mind about Korra's pro-bending so quickly? He shows the wisdom of a master airbender, when he encounters strong resistance, he changes his approach.
    *Mako's intense caring about Korra, while sweet, is a bit jarring considering Asami is right there beside him at all of these moments. Why is he this oblivious to her feelings now? Then you think about it: when Hiroshi offered to sponsor the Fire Ferrets, Mako was glad about this, and probably stayed with Asami partially to please her father (or so he thought). In other words, Mako's relationship with Asami might merely be Friends with Benefits in a way, even if it's untentional or unknown on his part.

*Doesn't help that this is a matter where Korra could be dead or badly harmed for all they know.

*Also remember, Mako is an orphan and only has one family member, his brother. Bolin has probably had many close calls himself. Mako is more emotional about Korra's disappearance because he can't bear to lose anyone close to him. Bolin was likely young when their parents died and probably doesn't remember the event much. Part of it was also guilt. Mako said that they'd support her with helping Republic City, they end up in jail and she's been taken by Tarrlok. He probably felt that if he'd been there Korra would still be safe.

*Further food for thought: since Mako had to take care of his brother since they were young, he had to be tough and strong... so in other words, not very good with emotions, and leds to easily being a Jerk with a Heart of Gold. And because he's so awkward with normal emotions, the workings of a relationship are even worse for him... and even worse, as part of that, he's unaware of the side-effects of his actions, including in "Turning the Tides".

*Also, the fact that he's a Promoted To Parent to Bolin, he may not act like that because he has feelings for her, it may probably because seeing her hurt activates his Bolin-raising Mama Bear instincts.

*He is also more cynical and pessimistic than most of the Krew. He might have thought of the worst-case scenario immediately, and then Korra showed up barely conscious on Naga, half-frozen and covered in cuts. Without the experience and maturity of Lin, he couldn't keep his emotions in check.

Fairy Queen Kaori's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Kaori on Tumblr

Mod Note: threads merged as we already had a thread for this series. Please use the forum search function to look for similar threads before creating entirely new ones!

[12:40:02 AM] Karamazov: I call Kaori the chick who could crush me under her tits
    ~ Proud Head of Entertainment, Inc. ~ Fanclub ~ Come join the conversation in the Entertainment, Inc. General Chat Thread!~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaori View Post
    Mod Note: threads merged as we already had a thread for this series. Please use the forum search function to look for similar threads before creating entirely new ones!
    Sorry about that. Slipped my mind there.

That clear up was actually quite helpful. Although I didn't feel as though the ending was bad, I felt that there were a few happenings that were somewhat vague or ambiguous.

I'm really looking forward to season 2. Korra's not going into the avatar state at all in the first season was surprising to say the least, especially in contrast to Aang who went into it multiple times in the first season. After reading into it, it makes sense. It should be nice, however, to see how her endeavors in the spirit world work out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morningsun View Post

I'm really looking forward to season 2. Korra's not going into the avatar state at all in the first season was surprising to say the least, especially in contrast to Aang who went into it multiple times in the first season. After reading into it, it makes sense. It should be nice, however, to see how her endeavors in the spirit world work out.
    she did at the end of the last episode, after Aang gave her bending back. Though her not achieving the state until then (to me) was not surprising as it is more of a spiritual thing, and Korra is not a spiritual person like Aang. She'll become more of an avatar in the second season i think than just someone who can bend all four elements as she seemed during the first season.

That's true. I think what I was trying to convey was vague there. I meant to say that she didn't go into the avatar state until then and that her avatar state was activated much differently than Aang's. When Aang went into the avatar state it was because he was put through some kind of shock or was really mad or was tragically wounded, something along those lines. When Korra went into the avatar state, it was for a very short period of time. She never uses the newly found abilities for anything. I think the avatar state I'm talking about is the physical one, not the spiritual one, if that makes sense. For example, when Aang was taking down Zhao's fleet at the Northern Water Temple and such. Korra only makes contact w/ the spirit world. Her bending isn't improved vastly, only restored. She never uses it for anything outside of that. I expected her to go into the avatar state especially when Mako's bending was going to be taken away because I feel like Aang would have if something like that were about to be happening to Katara per say. I realize that Aang and Korra are both very different, but, at the end of the day, they are both different parts of a single being or perhaps even the same being.
    I hope this doesn't sound like I rambled on, lol. My explanation is kind of hard for me to articulate, but it makes sense in my head.

Page 28 of 40 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast