J. J. Abrams to Direct Star Wars Episode 7

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Evil Figment

Thread: J. J. Abrams to Direct Star Wars Episode 7

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Default J. J. Abrams to Direct Star Wars Episode 7

The Force is strong with this one.

At least, fans will have to hope that's the case, now that J.J. Abrams has been selected to direct the upcoming seventh installment of George Lucas' legendary "Star Wars" series.

Abrams, who successfully re-launched the "Star Trek" franchise for Paramount in 2009 -- and has been hard at work on a sequel, "Star Trek into Darkness," set for release on May 17 -- had previously told Entertainment Weekly that he would not journey to a galaxy far, far away to continue the saga Lucas began back in 1977.

According to The Wrap, which broke the news of the Abrams deal, Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy led the mission to recruit Abrams to direct Episode VII, which is expected to hit theaters in 2015. The sequel was a centerpiece of Disney's $4 billion purchase of Lucasfilm, announced last October.

The question of who would direct "Star Wars: Episode VII" has prompted wave upon wave of speculation, and today's report by The Wrap adds another name to the pile: "Argo" director Ben Affleck, the site claims, had also been considered for the job. Other rumored directors included Matthew Vaughn ("X-Men: First Class"), Colin Treverrow ("Safety Not Guaranteed") and Joss Whedon ("Marvel's The Avengers").

Abrams will work from a screenplay by Michael Arndy, who wrote "Little Miss Sunshine," but it remains to be seen whether the story will continue that of the original three films or tell an altogether new one.
    Source

I have mixed feelings about this, but they are generally positive. I enjoyed the 2009 Star Trek film very much, and since that was also a reboot of a classic sci-fi franchise I think it would be worth comparing.

My biggest complaint about Star Trek is that they were obligated to introduce and establish way too many characters for just one movie. I think the next Star Trek film, Star Trek Into Darkness, will really show what he is capable of in terms of that franchise. I'll wait to see that movie to truly form my opinion about whether or not this was the best choice, but as of right now I have high hopes.
    That's nice.

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: J. J. Abrams to Direct Star Wars Episode 7

I'm keeping skeptical about this whole thing. Star Wars was a major part of my early childhood. Then again, I actually enjoy the prequel trilogy, so maybe I'll like this. :I

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Well the prequel trilogy was directed by George Lucas, so the style will probably be a bit different.
    That's nice.

Blog Entries

Follow Booster the Gawd on Tumblr

He's a good director and and with the success star trek had, he could and can reboot a franchise and introduce it perhaps how it was intended. Still that is a big move in my opinion

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheMissingno. View Post
    Well the prequel trilogy was directed by George Lucas, so the style will probably be a bit different.
    I like Lucas's old-fashioned directing style, but I'm certainly at least curious about whether or not Abrams' flashy style will compliment a Star Wars movie. It makes sense in my head.

Regardless of how anyone feels about Abrams, this is me right now:
    tumblr_m1y20143pe1qksequo1_400.gif

As a Trekkie and a Wookiee, this crossing of the streams is fantastic news for me.

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

When I heard the news, my hype just exploded, I'm happy he's going to direct it, I loved the 2009 Star Trek film, I'm planning on seeing Star Trek: Into Darkness this summer, and now I'm excited for this. Thank you J.J. Abrams for being one of my favorite directors.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Star Trek was pretty much the best Star Wars film of the last two decades, so probably a good choice.
    TheMissingno. likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Rocket traditionalist Hunter Blade's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Hunter Blade on Tumblr

There will always be people complaining about anything new, but I'm just happy there are going to be more films being created. My one concern is how many explosions he'll add.
    Team Rocket - We're back in business.
    Actually, I never left.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Blade View Post
    There will always be people complaining about anything new, but I'm just happy there are going to be more films being created. My one concern is how many explosions he'll add.
    Can't be as many as there were in Revenge of the Sith or in a ten minute section of any Michael Bay movie.

Rocket traditionalist Hunter Blade's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Hunter Blade on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Dread Advocate View Post
    Can't be as many as there were in Revenge of the Sith or in a ten minute section of any Michael Bay movie.
    Most of the explosions in Revenge were in the beginning with the giant space battle. Otherwise it was pretty normal for a Star Wars film for the rest of it.
    Team Rocket - We're back in business.
    Actually, I never left.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Blade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dread Advocate View Post
    Most of the explosions in Revenge were in the beginning with the giant space battle. Otherwise it was pretty normal for a Star Wars film for the rest of it.
    There were a lot on Utapau and Mustafar as well.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Here are reactions of a couple Youtube reviewers that I like to frequent the videos of:

Red Letter Media

Confused Matthew
    That's nice.

Fire Ferrets Forever Mako's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I hate Abrams. He's a hack (and I've hated pretty much everything he's been involved in. LENS FLARE)

So basically we're getting Star Wars Episode VII: Revenge of the LENS FLARE (oh and smoke monsters. you know we're getting smoke monsters).

That being said, he'll suck less than Lucas. Not that I'm really saying much with that.

I was hoping for Whedon (as were most people) or Tarantino (I know, I'm crazy. But it would be awesome), but I suppose I'll just have to pray for more LENS FLARE.

Oh and before I forget... LENS FLARE
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel
    Everyone has had a crush on Hips. :B