Has The Simpsons Died? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Has the Simpsons died? And if so, when?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Seasons 3 to 8 (1990 - 1997)

1 5.26%
  • Seasons 9 to 10 (1997 - 1999)

2 10.53%
  • Seasons 11 to 12 (1999 - 2001)

2 10.53%
  • Seasons 13 to 14 (2001 - 2003)

1 5.26%
  • Seasons 15 to 18 (2003 - 2007)

2 10.53%
  • Seasons 19 to present (2007 - )

3 15.79%
  • Hmm... it hasn't died quite yet

8 42.11%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has The Simpsons Died?

Default Re: Has The Simpsons Died?

I must admit Season 16 was probably the last of the best episodes. From then on The Simpsons changed and it was probably due to the change of times. I like the classic episodes better but there are some good ones out of the new seasons. Whatever season you watch there are still good laughs and jokes.
    Down Here!

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

Default Re: Has The Simpsons Died?

Quote Originally Posted by Synthesis View Post
    I used to really like it, and I still like the older episodes so I don't think it's all bad.

I do find any episode made in the last few years quite annoying for the most part. There are less subtle jokes and more crude stabs at humour that just don't work for it imo. I'm not sure about which season started this trend, but it's been going on for a while from what I've seen.
    This. When we get jokes where Homer runs over a squirrel, and the punchline is that he ran over a squirrel, you know the show just stopped trying to work in subtlety.

I think The Simpsons can improve, but it just won't. The show's worship of the status quo means that characters almost never grow and change, so everything becomes stale. Even a ton of plotlines have been recycled. I swear, we've seen Homer and Marge talk about the prospect of having more kids once a season, and it never gets any more compelling or funny when I see it.

But look at Flanders - after his wife died, the show explored more facets of his character, and what made him tick. We got great episodes about him becoming less prudish, getting back in the dating game, and trying to be less controlling. Those episodes are fresh, and oftentimes are the funniest and most memorable episodes of their respective seasons. And I think these episodes would really improve the show, and allow more a lot more refreshing content to work with. The new season's a step in the right direction, now that they've been trying newer things.

tl;dr the show's stagnation is killing it, but it still has some kick in it as long as it's willing to fight.
    Team Fairy

Sprites from Serebii.net

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12