Getting "Crap" past the radar
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 52

Thread: Getting "Crap" past the radar

  1. #1

    Default Getting "Crap" past the radar

    You know those moments on TV when you realize that they got an inappropriate past the censors and as a kid, you hadn't known. Or when they blatantly get away with something that, at the time and rating, wouldn't have flown otherwise. Yeah, let's talk about those moments. WARNING: this may thoroughly ruin your childhood six ways from Sunday.

    Animaniacs was famous for these:


    As is Gravity Falls: Grunkle Stan - Now who wants to put on some blindfolds and get into my car? - YouTube

    Stan Vac - YouTube

    Anyone know any good ones.
    Last edited by matt0044; 13th November 2013 at 02:16 PM.

    This is it. Korra's curtain call.
    My Tumblr

  2. #2
    Golett Collector Silverwynde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Plasma Tundra - Sacred Blade Cliff
    Posts
    10,113
    Blog Entries
    128

    Default Re: Getting "Crap" past the radar

    In Transformers: Prime, Jack's mother drops by the Autobot headquarters and asks if Optimus is there. When she's told no, she mentions that she wore her heels and lipstick for nothing. (Tried finding it via YouTube but no luck.)

    Then there's this little gem from Megas XLR:


    Don't ask me how they got that one past.

    Claimed: Golett ~ Iron Fist ~ Shadow Punch ~ Big Pearl ~ Light Clay.

  3. #3
    Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sinnoh Region
    Posts
    1,585
    Blog Entries
    6
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter Add Robo-Floatzel on Google+
    Follow Robo-Floatzel on Tumblr Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Getting "Crap" past the radar

    Spongebob is filled with these, giving us lovely lines such as "Patrick, your genius is showing!" and "Those X-Ray goggles I got, they didn't let you see through people's skin at all! *disgusted face* Just their clothes."

    But of all the Nickelodeon shows, Rocko's Modern Life was the KING of this trope, just watch this video on some of the things they had in that show...
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

    CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

  4. #4

    Default Re: Getting "Crap" past the radar

    Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    But of all the Nickelodeon shows, Rocko's Modern Life was the KING of this trope, just watch this video on some of the things they had in that show...
    I swear the censors were like, "We should censor this show but we're already in our pajamas."

    This is it. Korra's curtain call.
    My Tumblr

  5. #5
    Move along, move along Fairy Ice Ricky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    U. S. of A.
    Posts
    2,020
    Blog Entries
    30
    Follow Fairy Ice Ricky On Twitter
    Follow Fairy Ice Ricky on Tumblr

    Default Re: Getting "Crap" past the radar

    I will be forever amazed with the amount of stuff Rocko's Modern Life got away with.

    Surprisingly, Cartoon Network had their fair share of questionable moments--this Cow & Chicken episode starring the Buffalo Gals is a good example. I also found this funny gem from the Powerpuff Girls on Tumblr earlier today.

    3DS Friend Code: 5086-1398-3204 ▪|▪ 3DS/Pokémon X/Pokémon ΩR Name: Ricky
    Friend Safari: Steel - Klefki, Ferroseed, Forretress
    Claims: Lucario & Lucarionite ▪|▪ Teravolt ▪|▪ Fusion Bolt ▪|▪ Red Orb ▪|▪ Boutique [Pokémon X/Y]

  6. #6
    Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sinnoh Region
    Posts
    1,585
    Blog Entries
    6
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter Add Robo-Floatzel on Google+
    Follow Robo-Floatzel on Tumblr Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Getting "Crap" past the radar

    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Ricky View Post
    I will be forever amazed with the amount of stuff Rocko's Modern Life got away with.

    Surprisingly, Cartoon Network had their fair share of questionable moments--this Cow & Chicken episode starring the Buffalo Gals is a good example. I also found this funny gem from the Powerpuff Girls on Tumblr earlier today.
    The Powerpuff Girls, also being one of my favorite CN shows as a kid, also had this lovely scene, and it took me years to find out what it meant, and when I did...

    To be fair, that very Gravity Falls scene is an example of this trope as well.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

    CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

  7. #7

    Default Re: Getting "Crap" past the radar

    I just realized that in the Fairly Oddparents episode "The Big Problem" Vicky was blowing a rape whistle.

    Goodbye childhood.

    This is it. Korra's curtain call.
    My Tumblr

  8. #8
    someone in the dark
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Genderless
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Posts
    5,077
    Blog Entries
    9
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

    Default Re: Getting "Crap" past the radar

    Maybe I shouldn't count The Simpsons here, because it's technically not a children's cartoon and sexual references have always been fairly commonplace throughout. I cannot help, however, but think of the scene in the episode "Brother From The Same Planet" where, for all intents and purposes, Bart fakes an orgasm. In relation to something he did with his father, no less. Sure, what's actually going on in that scene is perfectly innocent, but for an adult viewer the orgasm allusion is difficult to miss, and gives that scene a pretty darned sinister edge. :p

  9. #9

    Default Re: Getting "Crap" past the radar


    This is it. Korra's curtain call.
    My Tumblr

  10. #10
    Keaton Princess Snugglefox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    In my den.
    Posts
    816
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default Re: Getting "Crap" past the radar

    Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    Maybe I shouldn't count The Simpsons here, because it's technically not a children's cartoon
    really? i stopped watching it as i grew older
    anyway i know a really bad one from the simpsons movie where bart is skateboarding naked and hes skating past cars and fences and stuff that cover his parts up for the viewers but then as a twisted joke he goes past a fence which is missing a gap where his parts are

    >< im pretty sure theres a law against that

  11. #11
    Not a Power Ranger Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Where I'm needed
    Posts
    4,555
    Blog Entries
    169

    Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Getting "Crap" past the radar

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverwynde View Post
    In Transformers: Prime, Jack's mother drops by the Autobot headquarters and asks if Optimus is there. When she's told no, she mentions that she wore her heels and lipstick for nothing. (Tried finding it via YouTube but no luck.)
    Here:



    Good stuff.

    She also once says something along the lines of "Not the sort of girl I imagined you leaving me for" in refernce to Arcee. Oh June...
    Last edited by Ranger Jack Walker; 18th November 2013 at 04:59 AM.

  12. #12
    someone in the dark
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Genderless
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Posts
    5,077
    Blog Entries
    9
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

    Default Re: Getting "Crap" past the radar

    Quote Originally Posted by Snugglefox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    Maybe I shouldn't count The Simpsons here, because it's technically not a children's cartoon
    really? i stopped watching it as i grew older
    anyway i know a really bad one from the simpsons movie where bart is skateboarding naked and hes skating past cars and fences and stuff that cover his parts up for the viewers but then as a twisted joke he goes past a fence which is missing a gap where his parts are

    >< im pretty sure theres a law against that
    "If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd put them on in prime time."

    Anyway, the penis joke was something that apparently wouldn't have gotten past the censors in a regular episode, but was fine for the big screen. Personally, I doubt there are any laws against showing a brief glimpse of a cartoon kid's penis in an entirely non-pornographic context.

  13. #13
    Puzzle & Dragons Addict Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    11,893
    Blog Entries
    15
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Add Joshawott on Linkedin Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Getting "Crap" past the radar

    Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snugglefox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    Maybe I shouldn't count The Simpsons here, because it's technically not a children's cartoon
    really? i stopped watching it as i grew older
    anyway i know a really bad one from the simpsons movie where bart is skateboarding naked and hes skating past cars and fences and stuff that cover his parts up for the viewers but then as a twisted joke he goes past a fence which is missing a gap where his parts are

    >< im pretty sure theres a law against that
    "If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd put them on in prime time."

    Anyway, the penis joke was something that apparently wouldn't have gotten past the censors in a regular episode, but was fine for the big screen. Personally, I doubt there are any laws against showing a brief glimpse of a cartoon kid's penis in an entirely non-pornographic context.
    The movie was passed as a PG in the United Kingdom. The BBFC (British Board of Film Classification) were asked about it at the time and they basically said that the context was purely non-sexual, so it was fine. Their listing for the article states:
    and a comic, non-sexual use of ‘penis
    Considering the extensive reply I got when I questioned why K-ON! The Movie was a 12 (due to a couple of jokes that had implied sexual context), they gave quite an extensive reply, so I doubt it was a decision made on a whim either.

    Heck, even Strike Witches picked up a mere 12 in the UK (although season 2 was a 15). So even if it was sexualised, it probably wouldn't have been much different.

  14. #14
    Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    cuyahoga falls ohio
    Posts
    1,232
    Blog Entries
    28

    Default Re: Getting "Crap" past the radar

    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Ricky View Post
    I will be forever amazed with the amount of stuff Rocko's Modern Life got away with.

    Surprisingly, Cartoon Network had their fair share of questionable moments--this Cow & Chicken episode starring the Buffalo Gals is a good example.
    i was lucky enough to see that episode of Cow and Chicken the only time it aired, i had no idea really what was going on but when i resaw it, my gained knoledge helped me interpert it better.

    Also with CN shows, Courage had a few key radar moments.

    1. From Cajun Granny Stew, after the Fox drove off the cliff, he states, That dog is becoming a real pain in my Aaaa....(blub blub).
    2. and on the episode Hard Drive COurage, when Courage and Muriel are at the computer, she hits a key and courage covers the screen while "interesting" music plays and Muriel covers her eyes and states that she needs a cup of tea

  15. #15

    Default Re: Getting "Crap" past the radar

    In the Amazing World of Gumball, Gumball tries to enter the internet via a scanner without his clothes. Darwin watches the image load on the screen and is freaked out by the sight Gumball's... unmentionables. This leads to him washing out his eyes.

    This is it. Korra's curtain call.
    My Tumblr

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •