• 1 Post By zakisrage

Thread: Doug Walker discontinues the Nostalgia Critic

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

Default Doug Walker discontinues the Nostalgia Critic

No More Nostalgia Critic?

The show is over, the character has been mostly retired, though Doug said we might see him again occasionally.

I'm personally saddened to see that NC is over, but all good things must come to an end, It was great while it lasted, and four years is a pretty impressive run.

I am looking forward to his new series however, even if details are being kept secret at the moment.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Doug Walker discontinues the Nostalgia Critic

Now no one will ever listen to him on which movies are considered terrible from the past and for future releases. :(

Beausoleil Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

I never found him funny, but it still sucks for his fans, I suppose. Hopefully his next series is a success.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    Now no one will ever listen to him on which movies are considered terrible from the past and for future releases. :(
    Well, are there not other reviewers out there, but yeah, a lot of TGWTG's frequent visitors were there for him primarily, I do know that this announcement has not only surprised and saddened many, but it will also slow down traffic for the site as well. It will take me a while to cope with it since I'm a frequent visitor to the site, though I have no idea what to do now until his new series begins.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    I never found him funny, but it still sucks for his fans, I suppose. Hopefully his next series is a success.
    We all have our opinions on things, I've been a fan of him since I first saw him in 2009, and have followed him since then.

My DA account

Best squid ever Bouffalant Herdier's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Bouffalant Herdier On Twitter
    Visit Bouffalant Herdier's Youtube Channel

I've always had mixed feelings about the Nostalgia Critic. Sometimes I thought he was hilarious, other times he bored me to tears, but in any case, I'm going to miss watching his new episodes each week. It was a initially a shock that he would end the show this quickly, but I'm honestly surprised he was able to make 20 minute+ reviews at such a frequent rate. It must have taken a lot out of him and most of his later NC videos were very stale and lacked the heart of the early ones, so it's probably for the best, and I look forward to his new series.
    Robo-Floatzel likes this.

Who is this git?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bouffalant Herdier View Post
    I've always had mixed feelings about the Nostalgia Critic. Sometimes I thought he was hilarious, other times he bored me to tears, but in any case, I'm going to miss watching his new episodes each week. It was a initially a shock that he would end the show this quickly, but I'm honestly surprised he was able to make 20 minute+ reviews at such a frequent rate. It must have taken a lot out of him and most of his later NC videos were very stale and lacked the heart of the early ones, so it's probably for the best, and I look forward to his new series.
    I can agree with you there, he's had great reviews and not-so-great reviews, but all of them had their moments. I can agree with some people that he should have a break from the NC every once in a while and take a vacation or work on other projects, but I think his decision to completely discontinue the Nostalgia Critic when he could have just taken a break from it for about a month or two is something that I'm not sure how to respond to. I mean, when you think about it, it's not easy to do an internet review show, though with over 250 episodes or so, it would have to end at some point.
    Last edited by Robo-Floatzel; 17th September 2012 at 01:29 PM.

My DA account

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

I didn't really care for him myself. If you could put up with his cacophonic schtick week in, week out for four years on end then bully for you, but you clearly have a lot more stamina than me. :p

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Well, the Nostalgia Critic is funny at moments when he's not cussing. The best I thought is certainly his more positive ones, like the Top 11 ones and some of those lookbacks where he evaluate on the openings of the shows like Superman and Ducktales.

Still, my favourite has to be Linkara. A lot of research put into certain scientific aspects. I like people who knows what they are talking about. Plus, he likes Yugioh GX (he once dressed in Obelisk Blue uniform), which is definitely a plus in my book.

Thanks for reading.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Somalian Anarchy Leader! John Understands's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow John Understands on Tumblr Visit John Understands's Youtube Channel

I like Linkara better, but this is dissapointing.

maglev maglev's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Can't say I'm that bothered. But everything has to come to an end eventually.
    maglev is invisible

amazing Meron's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Meron On Twitter

I've been watching the Critic since 2008, and he's been a fun piece of entertainment every Wednesday. Naturally I was quite sad (and still am a little) when I heard the news... But he made good points in his announcement, and I've also noticed he's been running out of notable nostalgic movies to make fun of. I still loved watching him, but always preferred his classic reviews to the new ones.
    Oh well, at least the Nostalgia Chick is still around :)

Looking forward to the new show.
    FourCartridge likes this.

y team

eat

we'll just have to wait and see

"Alerting all VOC@LOIDs." hopeandjoy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's too bad, but in the last year or so I've been gravitating more towards the Chick, Linkara, Paw, and JesuOtaku anyway. It was going to happen one day, anyway. It'll be interesting to see what Doug's newest series will be like.

Blog Entries

I find it a shame. I liked the Nostalgia Critic. He was always funny, and always had good stuff to put in his reviews. I give him credit for reviewing movies that are very obscure - a lot of them have been brought to light because of him. And you'd think we'd want to permanently forget crap like Little Monsters and Felix the Cat: The Movie. Plus he introduced a new generation to shows like Captain N: The Game Master.

Although a few of the movies he reviewed really weren't that bad. I actually liked The Next Karate Kid (I know, nothing beats the original KK, but I found it cool that the series finally had a girl actually practicing karate instead of just watching it), just to name one. And I disagree with his bashing of the Nicktoons (though I could see why he hates Doug since he said that people made fun of him for being named Doug).

I thought at first that he was just running out of bad movies. He should have reviewed some more crap, like The Secret of Anastasia, which is a ripoff of Fox's Anastasia (you know, the one by Don Bluth). The Secret of Anastasia is even worse in regards to inaccuracies - it takes place in only a short time, the characters don't resemble their real-life counterparts (well, the real version didn't acknowledge that Anastasia Romanov was short and fat, but the ripoff has it worse), Anastasia only has one sister (IRL she had three - her sisters Olga and Maria were not the movie, and they say Tatiana's name wrong to boot), and Anastasia is described as the tsar's youngest child when in fact she was the second-youngest - her brother Alexei was the youngest. And guess what? There is no Rasputin in the ripoff. Instead, the villain is a ripoff of Beauty and the Beast's Gaston - a handsome suitor who is secretly an agent of the Revolution. Actually, the whole movie rips off Beauty and the Beast as well - Anastasia has talking instruments as friends, and her other, nicer suitor is similar to the Beast, except that he's not a fur-covered anthropomorphic beast. And the animation is hideous.

Watch part 1 of this abomination here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez4X-1BYYY4
    Last edited by zakisrage; 25th September 2012 at 03:22 PM.
    Robo-Floatzel likes this.