Do you pay attention to lyrics? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you pay attention to lyrics?

Default Re: Do you pay attention to lyrics?

I try not to, but sometimes it just happens.

I guess that is why my favorite music does not have lyrics in them or the singer is so loud, wasted, and/or has an accent that you can barely understand the lyrics. A lot of great songs with good music can be ruined by bad lyrics. I am not going to make a lot of friends saying this and I know nobody wants to hear unpopular opinions, but that song "Under My Thumb" from Rolling Stones is a great example of what I am talking about. I love the music in that song, but damn, do I hate the lyrics! I just cannot enjoy that song because I end up listening to the lyrics. It just comes off as mean-spirited and vengeful. It didn't feel playful or satirical to me at all.

Of course, there are some songs with great lyrics that can be heard as clear as a bell with great music. Coldplay produces a lot of those songs and they are one of my favorite bands. I just cannot stand songs with mean-spirited lyrics that are about revenge or getting back at someone. It's even worse when there is good music playing along with it. I guess for me it's music first, lyrics second. I want to listen to the music, but I don't want it to be marred by bad lyrics. If a song has good lyrics and good music, I am one happy camper.

No, music is about the melody to me. Lyrics are meaningless. 90% of the music I listen is instrumental for a reason.

Blog Entries

Yes, yes I do. If a song is made by a SINGER then I will have to pay attention to the lyrics they created or was created for them.

SO if you have terrible lyrics, with a good beat. Bad song.
    Good lyrics with a bad beat. Bad song.
    Bad lyrics, bad beat =terrible song.

However, for other songs I just listen to the beats and transitions for non vocal songs.

Bulbanews Writer aliveatnight's Avatar Bulbanews Writer
    Blog Entries
    Follow aliveatnight On Twitter
    Follow aliveatnight on Tumblr

Vocals are very important to me. However I can still listen to just a good beat. Here's how music goes for me:
    good vocals + good beat = perfect!
    good vocals + bad beat = pretty good
    bad vocals + good beat = ok
    bad vocals + bad beat = nope...

My Pokémon Blog
    Claims: Akihiko Sanada (Persona 3, Persona 3 FES, Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4 Arena), Sif (Dark Souls), Evoker (Persoma 3, Persona 3 FES, Persona 3 Portable), Greatsheild of Artorias (Dark Souls), Nightingale Bow (Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim)

Follow Dani Bre On Twitter Add Dani Bre on Facebook
    Visit Dani Bre's Youtube Channel

I listen to music as an escape from a lot of the issues I have so as a habit, I always pay close attention to the lyrics. At least 95% of the music I listen to at some point the lyrics explained how I felt. The other 5% is either no lyrics available or I just find it catchy. I find it hard to just listen and not take in the lyrics.
    If you are interested in my modeling, you can check out my website at http://www.danibre.com/
    Thank you for your support. ^.~

Blog Entries

Visit GastlyGibus's Youtube Channel

Lyrics are very important to me. They're an integral part of the music as a whole in my opinion.

When I was a kid, my parents always taught me to be mindful of what I was exposing myself to. Not in the sense of "you should avoid XYZ media" but more like "be aware of the message that XYZ media is sending." It's something that's kind of stuck with me, to look at things critically, even entertainment, and that carries over into music.

With music, the message is all in the lyrics. What is the song trying to say? What is the message the artist(s) is conveying? Is there even a message? Some bands, like Nirvana, write nonsensical lyrics that serve no purpose. Other bands go deep and profound, and some just have more simplistic approaches. I'm always listening to the lyrics, because, as I said before, I always try to be mindful of the things I enjoy.

One thing I cannot stand in music is pointless vulgarity. For example, I love Death Metal. Anybody who talks to me about music knows that Death Metal is my preferred genre of choice, along with most other kinds of extreme metal. However, despite that, one band I cannot tolerate and that annoys me to no end is Cannibal Corpse, one of the most well-known Death Metal bands, and usually the first one people think of when you mention the genre. I despise Cannibal Corpse because their lyrics are just pointless and crude for no other reason besides shock value. CC's lyrics are just grotesque for the sake of being grotesque. There is hardly any artistic value to just screaming "AND THE GUTS WERE ALL OVER THE FLOOR AND THERE WAS BLOOD EVERYWHERE GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!" I'm paraphrasing of course, but most Cannibal Corpse songs I've heard are simply about describing some horrifically violent act in as meticulous detail as possible. It's disgusting.

No. I'm sorry. Try harder please. I like lyrics that at least try to be poetic. After all, what is music but poetry put to melody? I dislike pointlessly vulgar and crude lyrics. While I can tolerate nonsensical lyrics to an extent, needlessly cruel and obscene lyrics drive me nuts. So yes, I do pay attention to lyrics, and in some cases, like Cannibal Corpse, they can be the deciding factor in whether or not I decide to give an artist my patronage.

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

Opera arias are one of my fav genres. Most of them are not in English, and I don't understand a thing about them (most of them are in Italian, I think?), but I sure love listening to those wonderful voices of opera singers :3 I do know what the general song is about if it's an opera I'm familiar with, but I never really paid close attention to what the words exactly meant, because I can enjoy the song just fine.
    Pokemon Protagonist Mafia - Accepting Subs (click the pic!)

Blog Entries

Visit PokefanGaming's Youtube Channel

I don't pay attention much to lyrics. Maybe that is why I like instrumentals more than songs with... Words...

I love singing along with songs often and maybe one day I'd like to be a vocalist. So yeah, I mostly listen to the lyrical content in the songs I listen to.
    [ deviantArt : Youtube ]
    3DS FC: 2294-3392-3461

I listen to music primarily for sound/instrumentation... But when I love a song, after a while I'll start to hear the lyrics and piece them together. Although I usually still stay pretty oblivious to them, unless it's a British folk song then I like listening for the story it's telling.

I'll be honest, though. When I first listen to and fall in love with a song, the lyrics aren't even there in my mind. All I hear are the instruments, and the voice as an instrument.
    ~~

Blog Entries

If I like a song, I'll investigate the lyrics

Sometimes the lyrics are just as important as the sound

No one can destroy the Metal

If I'm listening to a new song, I tend to listen a few times to how it generally sounds and focus on that aspect of the song for a while (guitars, drums, bass, vocals and any other instruments)

Then, after I'm done with all that, I'll get a copy of the lyrics and read them while listening to the song a few more times to understand the lyrical meaning, if any. It sounds tedious but it often makes what I'm listening to sound much more fulfilling and relaxing.

Blog Entries

I'm so fussy with music but I usually can't really understand what people are saying when they're singing (depends on the pitch and tempo) or screaming. However when I like the melody I'll listen closely to the lyrics and read them but if the song is about something I don't like I will not be able to listen to it anymore due to the lyrics because I then understand what they are saying.

FC: 4725-8143-3936 Y: Serenade AS: Lys
    Claims: Mega Gyarados, Noble Roar, Stance Change, King's Rock, Reshiram Doll, Reyn (Xenoblade Chronicles)
    XY - Route 15 (music), B/W - Route 10 (music)

I'M WHAT THE %!$& HAPPENS Mackie Messer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It varies from piece to piece, but more often than not, the key deciding factor is the significance lyrics have to the genre. Synth-pop, rap, you bet I will. Power Electronics, old-school industrial... not so much.
    Fizzy Bubbles

You know what I'm saying?
    You know what I'm saying.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12