Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Disney buys Lucasfilms

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

Default Disney buys Lucasfilms

Since the old thread was locked due to constant complaining, I decided to start a new topic, but better to keep discussion more civil.

Source

Continuing its strategy of delivering exceptional creative content to audiences around the world, The Walt Disney Company has agreed to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd. in a stock and cash transaction. Lucasfilm is 100% owned by Lucasfilm Chairman and Founder, George Lucas.

Under the terms of the agreement and based on the closing price of Disney stock on October 26, 2012, the transaction value is $4.05 billion, with Disney paying approximately half of the consideration in cash and issuing approximately 40 million shares at closing. The final consideration will be subject to customary post-closing balance sheet adjustments.

"Lucasfilm reflects the extraordinary passion, vision, and storytelling of its founder, George Lucas," said Robert A. Iger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company. "This transaction combines a world-class portfolio of content including Star Wars, one of the greatest family entertainment franchises of all time, with Disney's unique and unparalleled creativity across multiple platforms, businesses, and markets to generate sustained growth and drive significant long-term value."

"For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next," said George Lucas, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Lucasfilm. "It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I've always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime. I'm confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney's reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products."

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of Lucasfilm, a leader in entertainment, innovation and technology, including its massively popular and "evergreen" Star Wars franchise and its operating businesses in live action film production, consumer products, animation, visual effects, and audio post production. Disney will also acquire the substantial portfolio of cutting-edge entertainment technologies that have kept audiences enthralled for many years. Lucasfilm, headquartered in San Francisco, operates under the names Lucasfilm Ltd., LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic, and Skywalker Sound, and the present intent is for Lucasfilm employees to remain in their current locations.

Kathleen Kennedy, current Co-Chairman of Lucasfilm, will become President of Lucasfilm, reporting to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn. Additionally she will serve as the brand manager for Star Wars, working directly with Disney's global lines of business to build, further integrate, and maximize the value of this global franchise. Ms. Kennedy will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars feature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant. Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future.

The acquisition combines two highly compatible family entertainment brands, and strengthens the long-standing beneficial relationship between them that already includes successful integration of Star Wars content into Disney theme parks in Anaheim, Orlando, Paris and Tokyo.

Driven by a tremendously talented creative team, Lucasfilm's legendary Star Wars franchise has flourished for more than 35 years, and offers a virtually limitless universe of characters and stories to drive continued feature film releases and franchise growth over the long term. Star Wars resonates with consumers around the world and creates extensive opportunities for Disney to deliver the content across its diverse portfolio of businesses including movies, television, consumer products, games and theme parks. Star Wars feature films have earned a total of $4.4 billion in global box to date, and continued global demand has made Star Wars one of the world's top product brands, and Lucasfilm a leading product licensor in the United States in 2011. The franchise provides a sustainable source of high quality, branded content with global appeal and is well suited for new business models including digital platforms, putting the acquisition in strong alignment with Disney's strategic priorities for continued long-term growth.

The Lucasfilm acquisition follows Disney's very successful acquisitions of Pixar and Marvel, which demonstrated the company's unique ability to fully develop and expand the financial potential of high quality creative content with compelling characters and storytelling through the application of innovative technology and multiplatform distribution on a truly global basis to create maximum value. Adding Lucasfilm to Disney's portfolio of world class brands significantly enhances the company's ability to serve consumers with a broad variety of the world's highest-quality content and to create additional long-term value for our shareholders.

The Boards of Directors of Disney and Lucasfilm have approved the transaction, which is subject to clearance under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act, certain non-United States merger control regulations, and other customary closing conditions. The agreement has been approved by the sole shareholder of Lucasfilm.
    Well, I don't know what to say now, they haven't really done anything bad to Marvel since they bought it about 3 years ago, so I don't think they will do anything bad to Star Wars, though only time will tell really.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

Default Re: Disney buys Lucasfilms

Disney produces good films. Ive heard good things about The Avengers and they did a good job with series like Pirates of the Caribbean, so hopefully the new Star Wars films will be good. We'll have to wait and see though, Id like to wait and hear more about the new film before forming an opinion.
    Dolce and Continent Turtle like this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aquanova View Post
    Disney produces good films. Ive heard good things about The Avengers and they did a good job with series like Pirates of the Caribbean, so hopefully the new Star Wars films will be good. We'll have to wait and see though, Id like to wait and hear more about the new film before forming an opinion.
    Agreed, on Youtube, Internet game reviewer Angry Joe stated some of the good things and bad things about Disney buying out LucasFilms; he stated how Lucas had "total dictator-like control" that was what caused the prequels to be so bad, and that it might be an improvement over the prequels, but also may be a problem as he feared that it might also cause Disney to milk it and take certain things too far, or make it more "kid-friendly", but they haven't really done anything particularly bad to Marvel since they obtained it 3 years back, so the same may happen to Star Wars. Hopefully, Episode VII will be an improvement over the prequels.

My DA account

I'm taking a neutral stance on this until we get more info on the new trilogy. Neutral I may be, but I'm leaning more positive, because this means no more George tampering with canon and tinkering with the OT.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dread Advocate View Post
    I'm taking a neutral stance on this until we get more info on the new trilogy. Neutral I may be, but I'm leaning more positive, because this means no more George tampering with canon and tinkering with the OT.
    I agree with you, I'd rather not keep my hopes up until more information on the movie is revealed, we don't know if it will be good or not until we learn more.

Personally, I would really like it if they used material from the Expanded Universe, as it makes sense and there are plenty of great stories out there to choose from that can be adapted to a film trilogy, but they have confirmed that they won't be using any EU material, though I think it's probably for the best, even though some people would've loved to see their favorite EU stories get adapted to the big screen, such as Legacy of the Force for instance. While I like the idea that they're after a more original story than using pre-existing ones, I just hope that they don't decide to go off on some sort of crazy tangent, or do something like set it 1000 years or so in the future with little to no tie in with the original movies. I DO hope that they do respect all the EU material regardless, and not do too many retcons.

One rumor I've heard though is that it won't be focused on the Skywalker clan at all, which I personally kind of misses the point of the first 6 SW movies, which was to tell the story of the rise, the fall, and the redemption of Anakin Skywalker, and then the second coming of the Jedi with Luke, though I have no confirmation yet, especially seeing as Episode VII was only just announced the other day. Only time will really tell what this new trilogy will hold.
    Pyradox and Dread Advocate like this.

My DA account

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm taking a neutral stance as well, even though I'm not a star wars fan. I'm glad that George Lucas has been "dethroned as dictator" because, let's be honest, those prequels are nowhere near as good as the original trilogy. But I'll patiently wait and see how it will go. You can't judge a book by its cover, as they say.
    Pyradox likes this.
    Revolutionaryverse

Many thanks to Blue Dragon for the signature

ONE-shot: Forced into Retirement

Fairy Queen Kaori's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Kaori on Tumblr

I'm trying to keep optimistic. Honestly, sometimes a change is needed, and fresh ideas and original implementation can come from the unlikeliest of places sometimes. I'll be interested to see how this turns out, though I can't say I'm exactly a diehard fan.

[12:40:02 AM] Karamazov: I call Kaori the chick who could crush me under her tits
    ~ Proud Head of Entertainment, Inc. ~ Fanclub ~ Come join the conversation in the Entertainment, Inc. General Chat Thread!~

Trophies
    Blog Entries

As someone who does consider himself a diehard fan, I'm also optimistic. I feel that the further George Lucas stays from the Star Wars franchise the better off it will be.
    That's nice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheMissingno. View Post
    As someone who does consider himself a diehard fan, I'm also optimistic. I feel that the further George Lucas stays from the Star Wars franchise the better off it will be.
    I can definitely agree there, after all, it was George Lucas who created the franchise with the original trilogy, and brought it's downfall with the prequels, however, there was always the Expanded Universe, with provided stories that many can argue were far better than the prequels. I personally hope we see a new direction with these new films, but whether they will be good or not is unknown at this point.

My DA account

Somalian Anarchy Leader! Please Understand's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Please Understand on Tumblr Visit Please Understand's Youtube Channel

This is honestly, a good idea. Disney handled Marvel well, so I expect Disney to handle Lucasfilms well.

And at least Lucas isn't destroying the franchise, like he did with the prequels.
    Why are you looking here? There is nothing here.

Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    I agree with you, I'd rather not keep my hopes up until more information on the movie is revealed, we don't know if it will be good or not until we learn more.

Personally, I would really like it if they used material from the Expanded Universe, as it makes sense and there are plenty of great stories out there to choose from that can be adapted to a film trilogy, but they have confirmed that they won't be using any EU material, though I think it's probably for the best, even though some people would've loved to see their favorite EU stories get adapted to the big screen, such as Legacy of the Force for instance. While I like the idea that they're after a more original story than using pre-existing ones, I just hope that they don't decide to go off on some sort of crazy tangent, or do something like set it 1000 years or so in the future with little to no tie in with the original movies. I DO hope that they do respect all the EU material regardless, and not do too many retcons.

One rumor I've heard though is that it won't be focused on the Skywalker clan at all, which I personally kind of misses the point of the first 6 SW movies, which was to tell the story of the rise, the fall, and the redemption of Anakin Skywalker, and then the second coming of the Jedi with Luke, though I have no confirmation yet, especially seeing as Episode VII was only just announced the other day. Only time will really tell what this new trilogy will hold.
    Even though they claim they won't be using EU material, that doesn't necessarily mean the new trilogy can't happen within what is considered EU. They could go to a section of the EU that is largely unexplored, like the Old Republic Era, more specifically around the time of The Old Republic metaseries. As meh as the game might be, you cannot deny the awesomeness of the trailers. And since that particular time period is generally unexplored, they could set the films around the Great Galactic and/or Cold Wars without using characters from the games, novels, and comics (except maybe for Satele Shan). While I (and several others, like Angry Joe) would prefer that, it's not likely. They'll probably just go to some time between the New Jedi Order and Legacy.

Two big things I'm hopeful for are 1) less emphasis on Jedi, Sith and the Force, and 2) stopping the vicious "power cycle." Crazy though it may be, I'm a bit tired of the recent trend of oversaturation of the monochromatic veil of the Force that's been present since The Phantom Menace. If there is moderate to heavy Force involvement, the least they could do is explore shadier areas of the Force that Lucas avoided because he wrote it out to be strictly black and white, no areas in between. Another thing that's been rather trendy in the franchise is TPM is making each "current and central" Jedi and Sith more powerful than the last. First Luke was powerful, then Anakin was more powerful, then Kyle Katarn, then Revan, then Yoda, then Starkiller, and so on. And it's the same with the Sith: Vader's strong, but Palpatine's stronger, but Maul's stronger, but Dooku's stronger, but Revan's stronger, but Nihilus is, but Malgus is, but Vitiate, but Vader again, but Starkiller, and so on. There has to be a point where someone stops being a mortal and is a god, right?
    Robo-Floatzel likes this.

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

Am I really the only one on the whole forum who likes the prequels? In any case, though, this acquisition could go either way. Either it could turn out totally awesome, like The Avengers, or it could be the worst thing since Disney's direct-to-video sequels. Either way, I'll be going to see these new movies just because they're Star Wars, whether I like them or not.

And I am looking forward to what this could mean for Disney World.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

Blog Entries
    Follow H-con On Twitter Add H-con on Facebook Add H-con on Google+ Add H-con on MySpace
    Add H-con on Linkedin Follow H-con on Tumblr Follow H-con on Flickr Visit H-con's Youtube Channel

They could go to a section of the EU that is largely unexplored, like the Old Republic Era, more specifically around the time of The Old Republic metaseries. As meh as the game might be, you cannot deny the awesomeness of the trailers.
    First off, I hope you're thinking just of ToR. Both KoToR games, certainly the latter, weren't "meh" at all, whatever you put into that.

Enough about that, I don't see that as very likely. Why call them "VII, VIII and IX" if they have nothing to do with the OT/prequels? That doesn't make much sense to me at least. In addition, a lot of people are not very familiar to the general setting, certainly not if they're going after the same group of people as the Phantom Menace did.

Not only that, but they have done enough to try to slaughter KoToR II's canon as it is. I don't want them to tamper with it even more. ToR have ruined enough of that legacy.

I would, to be honest, rather not have them use much from the EU. A lot of that is pretty shitty IMO. I'd rather have them start on something fresh then risking to fuck up on some EU content.

Two big things I'm hopeful for are 1) less emphasis on Jedi, Sith and the Force, and 2) stopping the vicious "power cycle." Crazy though it may be, I'm a bit tired of the recent trend of oversaturation of the monochromatic veil of the Force that's been present since The Phantom Menace. If there is moderate to heavy Force involvement, the least they could do is explore shadier areas of the Force that Lucas avoided because he wrote it out to be strictly black and white, no areas in between.
    Now we're on the same wavelength. In the OT, the Force is much more mysterious, and then Phantom Menace comes and shits all over that. It would be nice if they focused less on that aspect (or even tried to fix that issue, don't know if that's possible). Having actually shades of gray would certainly be nice as well, it leaves room for some interesting options. With Lucas out of the picture, I'm cautiously optimistic, but this is Disney after all. Can't remember the last time I saw a "gray" character in a Disney movie. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough, I dunno.

Another thing that's been rather trendy in the franchise is TPM is making each "current and central" Jedi and Sith more powerful than the last. First Luke was powerful, then Anakin was more powerful, then Kyle Katarn, then Revan, then Yoda, then Starkiller, and so on. And it's the same with the Sith: Vader's strong, but Palpatine's stronger, but Maul's stronger, but Dooku's stronger, but Revan's stronger, but Nihilus is, but Malgus is, but Vitiate, but Vader again, but Starkiller, and so on. There has to be a point where someone stops being a mortal and is a god, right?
    Well, to be honest, Nihlus wasn't much of a "mortal" in the end anyways, so there's that (you could certainly say the same about Sion, for that matter).

Not that you really hear too much about the great jedi masters anyways, it's usually those who fuck things up the most that gets talked about. Sith lords usually qualify to the latter, so they get "hyped", or so to say.

I think this is a good time to watch the OT again. Cinematic edition, oh yes.

Quote Originally Posted by H-con View Post
    They could go to a section of the EU that is largely unexplored, like the Old Republic Era, more specifically around the time of The Old Republic metaseries. As meh as the game might be, you cannot deny the awesomeness of the trailers.
    First off, I hope you're thinking just of ToR. Both KoToR games, certainly the latter, weren't "meh" at all, whatever you put into that.

Enough about that, I don't see that as very likely. Why call them "VII, VIII and IX" if they have nothing to do with the OT/prequels? That doesn't make much sense to me at least. In addition, a lot of people are not very familiar to the general setting, certainly not if they're going after the same group of people as the Phantom Menace did.

Not only that, but they have done enough to try to slaughter KoToR II's canon as it is. I don't want them to tamper with it even more. ToR have ruined enough of that legacy.

I would, to be honest, rather not have them use much from the EU. A lot of that is pretty shitty IMO. I'd rather have them start on something fresh then risking to fuck up on some EU content.
    I was thinking just TOR, not KotOR.

As far as I'm concerned, the "VII," "VIII," and "XI" are just working titles, though I might be wrong on that. So it's not entirely impossible for them to drop the numbers and go to a point before the PT. Still, it's not likely they're going to do that, or mess with anything in the EU (unless they get Joss Whedon, who was contemplating the Vong for the new trilogy).

Blog Entries

Follow Setra on Tumblr Visit Setra's Youtube Channel

I'm being very optimistic about this. The Avengers was awesome so why can't Star Wars be awesome too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast