Covers of Songs that Beat the Originals - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Covers of Songs that Beat the Originals

A cute little robot girl. Satoshi-kun's Avatar Social Media Deputy Coordinator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Satoshi-kun On Twitter Add Satoshi-kun on Facebook
    Follow Satoshi-kun on Tumblr Visit Satoshi-kun's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Covers of Songs that Beat the Originals

Quote Originally Posted by D. Strider View Post
    I'm gonna go against the majority here and say that I actually prefer the NIN version of "Hurt" to Johnny Cash's - they're both excellent, and Johnny Cash definitely lends it a buttload of gravitas, but it's a personal thing and "Hurt" is actually my favorite NIN songs strictly in terms of sonic aesthetic.
    Personally, I couldn't pick one. Both convey something that means a lot to each musician, and both have so much feeling to them. Trent's original is an amazing song, and I love what Johnny was able to do with his cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Weasel-Challenger View Post
    • "The Exorcist" by Cannibal Corpse, the original was by Possessed
    I actually have that Possessed record in my collection. I used to put it on to scare this ultra religious roommate that I had back when I was in college.

As for me, I find myself hard pressed to consider a cover to be better than an original. In the case of an amazing cover, the artist is able to make it into their own song, and kinda becomes a completely new entity in my books.

Now, as for songs that I consider to be amazing, I can only think of one at the moment (mainly because I have so much music in my collection that it's hard to even mentally process it all at the moment). This one is one that was released this year.

Mindless Self Indulgence - The Logical Song - Even since I was a kid, I was in love with Supertramp's "The Logical Song." Mindless Self Indulgence is a band that I fell in love with back in 1999 when I saw them live for my first time, and to hear them totally go nuts with this song is a very fun thing... at least I think so.

Follow Mokoniki on Tumblr Visit Mokoniki's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Covers of Songs that Beat the Originals

Anyone ever have it happen to them when you watch shows like [insert country]'s Got Talent, The X-Factor, or The Voice and people come on and sing a song you couldn't tolerate before and then you end up loving that song? This cover of LMFAO's Sexy and I Know It and this cover of Katy Perry's Teenage Dream did that for me.

"My hobbies include staring at hot asian men, crying over hot asian men, and shipping hot asian men with other hot asian men~"
    Quotes stolen from tumblr. Claims: Zhong Hui, Xu Shu, Sewddle, Protect, Sitrus Berry, Max Repel, and Sap Sipper

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234