Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: CGI Peanuts film to be released in 2015

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Default Re: CGI Peanuts film to be released in 2015

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of CGI animation (when it works, as with the majority of Pixar films, it works beautifully, but in lesser hands it's so easy for it to come out looking ugly, artificial and unengaging), and I dislike how it's essentially replaced 2D animation as the medium's standard...but the fact is, 2D animation just isn't a box office draw right now. So, while I'm not exactly reeling with enthusiasm at the prospect of a CGI Peanuts film, I can't say that I'm surprised either. I'm willing to withhold my judgement until I see some actual footage from the thing.

PS: Ice Age: Continental Drift was dreadful, so that directorial credit isn't exactly a confidence boost.

Beausoleil Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IS1296 View Post
    personally i'd like this to be 2D, just like Winnie the Pooh in 2011. not every theatrical animation needs to be CGI, and i agree with Robo-Floatzel that the Peanuts work very well in 2D.
    But didn't it flopped at the box office, which movie companies will only agree on whether or not the movie was a success, because of Harry Potter thus clarifying to Disney that 2D animated movies really is dead?
    Winnie the Pooh didn't flop. It was a financial success that would've done better if it hadn't been released opposite an inevitable juggernaut like the last Harry Potter movie, and in no way indicates that traditional animation is dead.

IMO, the style of Peanuts would really only work with traditional animation, but we'll see how this film turns out.

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Keep in mind that, in its opening weekend, Winnie the Pooh was also beaten by Cars 2, which was in its fourth week of release. Overall, the film made a modest amount of money at the box office, and arguably would've made more if the release had been better scheduled, but its overall box earnings didn't even begin to compare to those made by Pixar's offering that year. Even if Pooh did okay on its own terms, it's not going to convince the majors that there's a massive market out there for a traditionally-animated Peanuts film.

2D animation is definitely not "dead" - it continues to survive in the output of a number of independent and overseas film-makers (though you'd probably have to attend film festivals and art house cinemas to actually see any of them) - but in Hollywood at least, 3D animation has replaced it as the standard, and the winds show no sign of shifting any time soon. I really wish that wasn't the case, but other than Disney, no other major studio has any interest in 2D, and what Disney have put out over the past few years hasn't exactly satisfied them in financial terms (except maybe their re-release of The Lion King in 3D, which did better than expected, but which wasn't replicated with their 3D release of Beauty and the Beast). That Tangled did so much better than The Princess and the Frog at the box office - regardless of why you believe that to be the case - didn't exactly help fight 2D's corner.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    That Tangled did so much better than The Princess and the Frog at the box office - regardless of why you believe that to be the case - didn't exactly help fight 2D's corner.
    Wasn't it because The Princess and the Frog was released at the same month as James Cameron's Avatar? A better movie schedule could've at least save 2D animation.

Blog Entries

At least they can't make it into an adaptation like The Smurfs or Yogi Bear, since the characters are already human and Charlie Brown is already the unlucky leading man.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12