Can you think of examples of female characters taking star status from male character

Thread: Can you think of examples of female characters taking star status from male character

Blog Entries

Follow Madame Pika on Tumblr

Default Can you think of examples of female characters taking star status from male character

Sorry, about the whole title limit thing causing bad grammar.

This came about though talking with @FinalArcadia; We came to realize that we could only think of one time in our knowledge of entertainment where a female character took star status from a male character. This example being Betty Boop. As proven simply:

her debut: Talkartoon No 7 - Dizzy Dishes (Bimbo & Betty Boop) - (1930) - YouTube

A short released a mere seven shorts later: Talkartoon No 14 - Mysterious Mose (Bimbo & Betty Boop) - (1930) - YouTube

Her own series begins: Betty Boop Cartoon No 01 Stopping The Show (Betty Boop, Bimbo & Koko) - 1932 - YouTube

Can you think of any other examples of female characters taking star status from male characters? Particularly exciting would be any where it's purely thanks to the fact that the girl was doing a better job entertaining the audience. I won't ask that you provide evidence as I have done.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Can you think of examples of female characters taking star status from male chara

We've got The Legend of Korra, which, while a sequel to ATLA, had a female lead. We've also got Powerpuff Girls, My Life As a Teenage Robot, and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

Blog Entries

Follow FinalArcadia on Tumblr Visit FinalArcadia's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Can you think of examples of female characters taking star status from male chara

But with those, the series started out with a female character in the lead role. Whereas with Betty Boop, she did not start that way, yet eventually obtained star status as a character, surpassing the former male lead.

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

A common complaint about Best Wishes is that Iris has basically taken center stage as opposed to Ash, especially in the more recent episodes.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Somalian Anarchy Leader! Please Understand's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Please Understand on Tumblr Visit Please Understand's Youtube Channel

Iris. /thread

Um...I don't know of any shows that had a male character and then started revolving around the female one, other than Pokémon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    We've got The Legend of Korra, which, while a sequel to ATLA, had a female lead. We've also got Powerpuff Girls, My Life As a Teenage Robot, and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
    Those shows started with female leads, not "had a male lead(s), but female lead(s) took over it".
    Last edited by Please Understand; 3rd November 2012 at 04:19 PM.
    Why are you looking here? There is nothing here.

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Franco-Belgian Comic Books Yoko Tsuno is one case. What basically happened was this:

1. They started drawing the first book of the series. Yoko Tsuno was a sidekick to the (male european) hero, Vic.
    2. At some point, the editors asked for a few "short" to run in their magazine to give people a preview of the series.
    3. The shorts ended up focusing on Yoko as a character.
    4. The response was very positive
    5. And so by around page 15 of book 1 the tone and characterization shifts pretty noticeably and goes from Vic = leader to Yoko = leader.
    Last edited by Evil Figment; 10th November 2012 at 01:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Can you think of examples of female characters taking star status from male chara

Hey Arnold was initially centered almost entirely around Arnold. I noticed that in the first few episodes, Gerald had a bigger part than Helga. But soon after, Helga replaced him as the deuteragonist. After the second season, Helga was practically the main character since she got more episodes than Arnold. By the end, it was more about Helga with Arnold on the side than Arnold himself. In a way, I think it was good, since Helga was a very interesting character and very complex. (Actually, female characters in general started playing larger roles after season one. The first season only gave Helga and Arnold's grandma major roles out of all the females. After that, Phoebe and Rhonda got bigger parts in the series, and they added Lila. Plus they got rid of Ruth, who basically had no personality at all until right before she left the show.)

Blog Entries

I can really only remember Genshiken. Originally it was about a group of men in an otaku club, but eventually the female characters became the leads and now the club is almost completely filled with girls. Not sure if that really counts though. (Personally I think it was a turn in the wrong direction.)