CALLING ALL METALHEADS! - Page 4

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: CALLING ALL METALHEADS!

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: CALLING ALL METALHEADS!

Hey, guys, nu-metal has been confusing me lately. I like to think of nu-metal as mainly hip-hop-influenced metal with unusual guitar techniques, like one of my favorite metal groups, Rage Against the Machine. But it seems a lot of nu-metal is too much like alt-metal for my tastes. I'm not a fan of alternative metal, but I say I like nu-metal because that's what Rage bears the closest resemblance to (and because Limp Bizkit is a guilty pleasure of mine).

So yeah, I'm confused. Is there a name for the more Rage-like, hip-hop-derivative metal I enjoy? And if anybody else likes it, where can I find MOAR? >:D

Serenity is key
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Pschitt View Post
    Hey, guys, nu-metal has been confusing me lately. I like to think of nu-metal as mainly hip-hop-influenced metal with unusual guitar techniques, like one of my favorite metal groups, Rage Against the Machine. But it seems a lot of nu-metal is too much like alt-metal for my tastes. I'm not a fan of alternative metal, but I say I like nu-metal because that's what Rage bears the closest resemblance to (and because Limp Bizkit is a guilty pleasure of mine).

So yeah, I'm confused. Is there a name for the more Rage-like, hip-hop-derivative metal I enjoy? And if anybody else likes it, where can I find MOAR? >:D
    Rap metal, perhaps?
    Crack some heads for me, darlings. Thank you, and good night.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pyradox View Post
    Rap metal, perhaps?
    I've heard the term used before, but then there's the issue of those weird-awesome guitar techniques that I like (wiping hands on the strings, turning feed-back into notes with the toggle switch and whammy bar, etc.) that is more of a nu-metal thing. I dunno, it's confusing.

maglev maglev's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

@Jack Pschitt; Biohazard, Clawfinger, Stuck Mojo, Body Count, Mutha's Day Out, Skindred.

Those are all rap metal, of I remember right. You might want to check out funk metal as well, like Faith No More, Primus, Fishbone, Living Colour, Praxis, Zillatron and 24-7 Spyz. Again I can't really talk for the quality of the artists, but you can judge for yourself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FABuLUSH! View Post
    Biohazard, Clawfinger, Stuck Mojo, Body Count, Mutha's Day Out, Skindred.

Those are all rap metal, of I remember right. You might want to check out funk metal as well, like Faith No More, Primus, Fishbone, Living Colour, Praxis, Zillatron and 24-7 Spyz. Again I can't really talk for the quality of the artists, but you can judge for yourself.
    You seem to always have a recommendation for somebody, Fab. ;D

I'll put all o' them on my list for later.

Blog Entries

You seem to always have a recommendation for somebody, Fab. ;D

I'll put all o' them on my list for later.
    I've listened to lots of music, so it becomes easy to recommend.

Also check out Jesu, they don't sound at all like what you asked for but they are pretty cool. Kind of like ambient metal.

P.O.D. has done some rap metal in the past, though there mostly pure rap, nu metal, alt metal, and reggae.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dread Advocate View Post
    P.O.D. has done some rap metal in the past, though there mostly pure rap, nu metal, alt metal, and reggae.
    I was actually just checking out POD in my attempts to find Rage-like rap-nu-metal. They get pretty close at some points, I must admit.

I was actually just checking out POD in my attempts to find Rage-like rap-nu-metal. They get pretty close at some points, I must admit.
    They're pretty good. Not someone I'd want to listen to all the time, but I greatly admire their faith. Other than them, I don't willingly listen to any form of rap.

Blog Entries

They're pretty good. Not someone I'd want to listen to all the time, but I greatly admire their faith. Other than them, I don't willingly listen to any form of rap.
    The majority of music is awful, but in every genre there are artists worth listening to. Check out Dälek, they are a hip-hop duo that sound completely alien to any other hip-hop. A lot of metal heads listen to Dälek because they are loud, abrasive and noisy.

Quote Originally Posted by FABuLUSH! View Post
    The majority of music is awful, but in every genre there are artists worth listening to. Check out Dälek, they are a hip-hop duo that sound completely alien to any other hip-hop. A lot of metal heads listen to Dälek because they are loud, abrasive and noisy.
    See that's the thing right there. I would never, ever listen to any band or artist just because of that. The things I look for in a band are 1) talent (obviously), and 2) are they Christian, or at least positive (in lyrical themes) enough to be subjected to Christianity (silly, and maybe even a bit... prejudiced, I know, but it's a personal conviction of mine). Preferably, I'd like the bands to be some form of metal, though I have made exceptions with bands such as Relient K, Anberlin, and Sent By Ravens.

Blog Entries

See that's the thing right there. I would never, ever listen to any band or artist just because of that. The things I look for in a band are 1) talent (obviously), and 2) are they Christian, or at least positive (in lyrical themes) enough to be subjected to Christianity (silly, and maybe even a bit... prejudiced, I know, but it's a personal conviction of mine). Preferably, I'd like the bands to be some form of metal, though I have made exceptions with bands such as Relient K, Anberlin, and Sent By Ravens.
    Well, that's your personal choice, though I personally don't understand why you feel the need to limit your musical pallet to music that shares the religious values that you uphold. I listen to Christians, Muslims, Athiests, Buddhists, etc, and I don't think my own spirituality should limit what I can and cannot enjoy. Again, it's your choice, I'm not gonna sit here and attack you because of your religion, but could you please enlighten me as as to why you limit yourself to Christain bands/artists? I'm genuinely curious. And I might have some bands to recommend you.

I choose to listen to such bands because during my early high school years, I used to listen to bands like Godsmack, Korn, Slayer, Disturbed, and Slipknot. Granted, they are not the most positive bands in the world, but it did have a serious impact on my psyche and faith. When I listened to them, I hated everyone and everything and was extremely aggressive. I had to stop listening to them and find something more positive to prevent myself from causing anymore harm to others than I already had and myself. So here I am today, a lot more positive and loving, listening to bands have the positivity I want with the aggressiveness I enjoy. The way I see it, though, is I'm not really limiting myself; look at most bands endorsed heavily by Hot Topic (with the exceptions of The Devil Wears Prada and We Came As Romans, and maybe a few others).

Blog Entries

@Dread Advocate; Ok, I think I understand. When I was a teen I was a real bitch and I liked to listen to dark, heavy, moody music because it reflected me on the inside. But as I gt older I moved away from metal almost entirely because it was like I was removing that bitchy personality of me. I think I listen to more upbeat music nowadays, and perhaps that reflects on my own self image, I'm happier now than when I was 16.

Being a teen is hard.

Blog Entries

im still a teen so ima blast my slayer and my cannibal corpse lol

I listen to lots of different stuff. Happy music, sad music, angry music, melancholy music, brooding music, dancing music. Metal is my angry music.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast