CALLING ALL METALHEADS! - Page 2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: CALLING ALL METALHEADS!

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: CALLING ALL METALHEADS!

Alright, alright, I'll order off of Amazon, gosh

Now is as good a time as ever for you listen to Ghost, Pyra. ;D Allow me to do the honors.

Nobody really knows if Ghost are serious or intentionally hamming it up. It's lots of fun either way.

Forbidden Forest Ranger Cosmic Gerbil's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Add Cosmic Gerbil on Facebook

Here are some of my piccies from the Judas Priest concert. I have put them as links so that they don't take up the whole page cos they are very big :P

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/CosmicGerbil/DSCF1861.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/CosmicGerbil/DSCF1867.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/CosmicGerbil/DSCF1846.jpg

Edit: Sorry dude, I didn't mean to post after your vid so soon :( I tried to delete my post but I couldn't find out how to do it.
    Last edited by Cosmic Gerbil; 23rd August 2012 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Adding stuff
    Exit light
    Enter night
    Take my hand
    We're off to never never-land

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Gerbil View Post
    Edit: Sorry dude, I didn't mean to post after your vid so soon :( I tried to delete my post but I couldn't find out how to do it.
    Oh, pfft, that's fine. Threads don't have to be one topic at a time. :3

Serenity is key
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Gerbil View Post
    Here are some of my piccies from the Judas Priest concert. I have put them as links so that they don't take up the whole page cos they are very big :P

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/CosmicGerbil/DSCF1861.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/CosmicGerbil/DSCF1867.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/CosmicGerbil/DSCF1846.jpg

Awesome photos, especially the last two. ^^
    Crack some heads for me, darlings. Thank you, and good night.

Forbidden Forest Ranger Cosmic Gerbil's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Add Cosmic Gerbil on Facebook

Lol, that is alright then xD It must be me getting carried away from RPing xD We'd all try to stay in post order and there would often be two people on at once who would go postpostpostpostpostpost and take the RP on about 2 or 3 extra pages and everybdoy else would get lost xD

Glad that you like the photos :D I had to hold the camera above my head to get many of them, I am so small and people in front of me were bigger, lol :P
    Last edited by Cosmic Gerbil; 24th August 2012 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Spelling error lol
    Exit light
    Enter night
    Take my hand
    We're off to never never-land

Quote Originally Posted by Pyradox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mielikki View Post
    So, when I prefer more extreme metal genres, am I not invited?
    (not saying the above mntioned are bad, just personal preference :D)
    You are. ^^ I just needed a few to start off with.
    This I wanted to hear! :D

For me, I like mostly European death/melodeath/doom bands, but I don´t want to be stuck too much to one (sub)genre or region.

Blog Entries

I think the reason I gravitated toward progressive metal the most was because of the epic aura it has. It's meant to do for metal what progressive rock does for rock and roll: make it "classical"-sounding and sophisticated. Progressive metal is loud and heavy, yet also complex and grandiose. I love that.

On the flip side, I also like rather weird and somewhat demented music, so I was also drawn toward sludge and nu-metal. I'm listening to sludge metal as I type this comment.

maglev maglev's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Pschitt View Post
    I think the reason I gravitated toward progressive metal the most was because of the epic aura it has. It's meant to do for metal what progressive rock does for rock and roll: make it "classical"-sounding and sophisticated. Progressive metal is loud and heavy, yet also complex and grandiose. I love that.
    You could also say that prog rock/metal is pretentious, saturated and is satirical of complex music. That's just one's opinion, I think as a whole prog metal isn't very good. What has Dream Theatre said in 22 minutes that The Clash didn't in 3? Strange time signatures are great to build a song around, but if the basis of your band is to roll a 20 sided dice and pick a strange time signature, then I don't think it counts as truly good music. Hell, since we as consumers moved on to pop music we have pretty much abandoned attempts to make interesting music, and instead borrow from other genres as a way of saying "look at us we are pushing the limits of what can be called rock by introducing a sax solo in 17/5 time".

I like Dark Side of the Moon, but I wouldn't say it's progressive, it's just a pop album. A good one. But truly progressive, innovative and complex music is unlikely to come from metal/rock. Take Tortoise's TNT album, they blend influence from dub reggae, kraut rock, minimalism, and maybe even synth pop. The album sounds unique and truly progressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Pschitt
    On the flip side, I also like rather weird and somewhat demented music, so I was also drawn toward sludge and nu-metal. I'm listening to sludge metal as I type this comment.
    Demented music? Dark ambient and power noise. Too bad it's all rubbish haha. Not very engaging at all.

Jack, my boy, don't take this as an attack on your music taste, I'm displaying pure opinion.
    maglev is invisible

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FABuLUSH! View Post
    You could also say that prog rock/metal is pretentious, saturated and is satirical of complex music. That's just one's opinion, I think as a whole prog metal isn't very good. What has Dream Theatre said in 22 minutes that The Clash didn't in 3? Strange time signatures are great to build a song around, but if the basis of your band is to roll a 20 sided dice and pick a strange time signature, then I don't think it counts as truly good music. Hell, since we as consumers moved on to pop music we have pretty much abandoned attempts to make interesting music, and instead borrow from other genres as a way of saying "look at us we are pushing the limits of what can be called rock by introducing a sax solo in 17/5 time".
    Yeah, I can see where you're coming from with all of that. However, weird time signatures and alternative instruments aren't the sole reason bands like Symphony X and Dream Theater do what they do. They don't meet up in the studio and go "let's make a song in 6/4 time that suddenly switches to flamenco guitar in 5/10 for no reason". They just do what they think is cool, and the riffs they come up with to differentiate themselves from the competition end up being, well, different.

In short, they do what they think is cool. Some people think feed-back and growling are cool, some people think key boards and more classical structuring are cool.

I like Dark Side of the Moon, but I wouldn't say it's progressive, it's just a pop album. A good one. But truly progressive, innovative and complex music is unlikely to come from metal/rock. Take Tortoise's TNT album, they blend influence from dub reggae, kraut rock, minimalism, and maybe even synth pop. The album sounds unique and truly progressive.
    Well, that's the whole reasoning behind progressive rock being invented in the '60s: turning rock music from commercialized pop radio music into more "legitimate" or "artful" music, taking up more classical conventions, including odd time signatures. Whether they accomplish that is up to the listener.

Jack, my boy, don't take this as an attack on your music taste, I'm displaying pure opinion.
    Not at all. Music is 100% subjective anyway. :3

Blog Entries

@Jack Pschitt;, I'll get to your comment later, I can't be arsed writing a mini essay haha.

You know who I've had a soft spot for? Napalm Death, Pig Destroyer and Gasp. Great grindcore bands.
    maglev is invisible

Blog Entries

As much as I've been listening to music I would've never found listenable a few years ago, grindcore is still outside my comfort zone. xP The most aggressive bands I regularly listen to are The Agonist and Gojira.

Serenity is key
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FABuLUSH! View Post
    @Jack Pschitt;, I'll get to your comment later, I can't be arsed writing a mini essay haha.

You know who I've had a soft spot for? Napalm Death, Pig Destroyer and Gasp. Great grindcore bands.
    I quite like Napalm Death, but I haven't really listened to the others much.
    Crack some heads for me, darlings. Thank you, and good night.

Blog Entries

All I know by Napalm Death is "You Suffer".

GROUAGH

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pyradox View Post
    I quite like Napalm Death, but I haven't really listened to the others much.

Somewhat catchy.

the next two are links because I cant post 3 videos, unfortunately.
    Gasp - Remembered 29 Times
    Psychedelic grindcore.

Sigh - Finale / Hangman's Hymn / In Paradisum / Das Ende
    Japanese Symphonic black metal. Completely forgot about them.
    maglev is invisible

All I know by Napalm Death is "You Suffer".
    This is my ringtone, when SMS comes. Really. (I don´t listen to them too much, but this song is simply awesome in its shortness :D

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast