The Bulbagarden Book Club - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The Bulbagarden Book Club

Blog Entries

Follow Fennel on Tumblr

Default Re: The Bulbagarden Book Club

I recently read Half-Blood Blues by Esi Edugyan, which was pretty good, although it fell a bit short of my expectations considering it was shortlisted for all these awards. You know when there's a mildly intriguing character that you suspect has hidden depths, but they turn out to be a flat character after all? Yeah, that was it. Besides that, it's been a while since I picked up a good contemporary novel.

mostly just a recluse
    Blog Entries

Recently read Kafka on the Shore, a novel by Haruki Murakami. It's a fun read, though it's a little long (my edition was ~470 pages); in spite of that, the pages turn fairly quickly. It's difficult to describe... I suppose the best label I could use to categorize it would be 'magic realism?' You'll know what I mean when you read it, I think.

Started reading The Fall by Albert Camus, which is unfortunately really, really boring for me in comparison to Murakami's novel, which I just finished two days ago. It's an extended confession by a judge-penitent to a stranger, and, while it has its moments (I have an affinity for existentialism and plan to delve deeper into philosophy later on in the summer), it's just one of those books that I've deemed as sort of a drudge to go through. I have fifty pages left.

Other things that I have plans on finishing this summer:

Moby-Dick by Herman Melville
    The Lime Works by Thomas Bernhard
    The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera

Blog Entries
    Add MuddyMudkip on Facebook
    Follow MuddyMudkip on Tumblr Visit MuddyMudkip's Youtube Channel

I've just recently finished reading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. ... I've also drowned in my own tears whilst reading that book.

I'm currently waiting for House of Hades by Rick Riordan, Allegiant by Veronica Roth, and Champion by Marie Lu to come out. I also plan on reading John Green's other works sometime soon.
    ..::Active URPG Ranger::..
    A Poem I Wrote
    >>learning through the downs, living for the ups<<
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai-Mei View Post
    Stuff died. Apparently Typhlosion > Chandelure.

Follow Empyrean Philharmonic on Tumblr

I've recently finished The Fencing Master by Arturo Perez-Reverte (Spanish author). It was an interesting book, since it followed one character who makes the reader want to pity him because he's so different from society and society feels indifferent towards him. The descriptive writing was so vivid, it felt like watching a stain-glass butterfly flying fragilely in the air, leaving a colorful trail of pixie dust behind. Was definitely one of the most interesting books of the year for me.

I'm currently in the middle of reading In Sunlight and In Shadow by Mark Helprin, whose prose is just epically amazing.

And I have a lot more books on my to-read list for the summer, including The Twelve (Justin Cronin), Cloud Atlas (David Mitchell), The Swan Thieves (Elizabeth Kostova), and Possession (A.S. Byatt).

mostly just a recluse
    Blog Entries

resona, i've heard good things about possession. i hope you enjoy it.

right now, i'm reading the persian letters by montesquieu. it's a fairly boring read, to be honest. after that, i think i'm going to read the first harry potter novel for the first time alongside robert oppenheimer and his mind: a life inside the center. other books on my to-read list are of human bondage by w somerset maugham, one hundred years of solitude by gabriel garcia marquez. i plan on finishing the rest of the hp novels by mid-september (no, i haven't read them before, and yes, i'm going to a college which is essentially a safe haven for nerds) and i'll probably get my hands on some of borges, vonnegut, and melville's stuff to tide me over when school starts

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12