The Bulbagarden Book Club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The Bulbagarden Book Club

The Sworn Brothers Adyniz's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

Default The Bulbagarden Book Club

Is there anyone around who's into reading books? If yes, any particular genre or author and do you have any 'favorites'?
    It could be anything like novels, health-related, business-related books, general literature etc.

Also, if there is any book you would like to review, suggest or share, please go ahead.

Speaking for myself, I'm not much of a reader but I have decided to do so, especially the novels.
    I started with "If Tomorrow Comes" by Sidney Sheldon, which I completed a few days ago and it was certainly quite enjoyable.
    Currently, I'm reading Mark Gimenez's "The Color of Law". And I am looking forward to go for "The Catcher in the Rye" by J.D Salinger after I'm done with this one.

PS: @Crystal_Talian; @Spriteit; @Pokemaster97;
    You guys are also more than welcome to participate, if you want. :P
    Last edited by Adyniz; 12th January 2013 at 01:50 PM.
    Pokemaster97 likes this.

Canadian Sweetheart Pokemaster97's Avatar Bulbanews WriterArchives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Visit Pokemaster97's Youtube Channel

Default Re: The Bulbagarden Book Club

I recently read a novel called "Speak" by Laurie Halse Anderson. It was really good, it took a really relevant issue (rape) and was able to craft an entertaining yet insightful story of coming of age. I recommend it~ I can't think of any thing else at the moment.
    Misato Katsuragi likes this.

Fairy Queen Kaori's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Kaori on Tumblr

If there is one book that really left a huge impact on me, it's probably Viktor E. Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning, exploring his experiences in a concentration camp and the methods of thought he and other inmates used to find a meaning in their existence - and how some of those can be applied to life in general. It is perhaps one of the most meaningful, thought-provoking books I have read in my entire life; I'd go so far as to say that the concepts it raises make it essential reading for anyone philosophically inclined.

[12:40:02 AM] Karamazov: I call Kaori the chick who could crush me under her tits
    ~ Proud Head of Entertainment, Inc. ~ Fanclub ~ Come join the conversation in the Entertainment, Inc. General Chat Thread!~

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaster97 View Post
    I recently read a novel called "Speak" by Laurie Halse Anderson. It was really good, it took a really relevant issue (rape) and was able to craft an entertaining yet insightful story of coming of age. I recommend it~ I can't think of any thing else at the moment.
    I read that book for school one year. It's a nice read and very inspiring. The movie is also good, despite starring Kristen Stewart.

Dauntless Fried Chicken Voltaire Magneton's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Voltaire Magneton On Twitter Add Voltaire Magneton on Facebook

I'm currently reading "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury.

Well, from what I have read, the firemen are the arsonists, the television is favored over books, and having a literary device is punishable by fire.

It has three chapters, and I am on chapter two. I'm too lazy to read these days...

URPG STATS! Claimed Dusknoir! Leppa Berry! Exp. Share! Pick Up! Headbutt! Petalburg Woods Forums!

Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

Almost done with the Color of Law... So far, I don't have any particular complains.

Comparing Sidney Sheldon and Mark Gemenez... I think that 'The Color of Law' is well paced as compared to Sheldon's 'If Tomorrow Comes'.
    The main thing about 'If Tomorrow Comes' which bothered me the most was the ending. Up until the first half, it was very enjoyable but the protagonist started to go a bit 'out of character' in the second half, in my opinion. It started to annoy me a little. I hope 'The Color of Law' ends well.

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, I have ordered two more books:
    * The Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger
    * To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

Bulbapædist Crystal_Talian's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

*some time later*

Hi~

I tend toward fantasy series myself. Mostly stuff aimed at teens or appealing to a large audience. Out of modern stuff, I like Warriors by Erin Hunter, Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling (naturally), Percy Jackson and the Olympians and The Kane Chronicles both by Rick Riordan, The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini (this is very wordy and meandering, though), and The InkWorld trilogy by Cornelia Funke. Generally stuff in that vein.

Going back to some older books, The Once and Future King by T.H. White, White Fang and Call of the Wild both by Jack London, Watership Down by Richard Adams . . . books with more of a pseudo-realism to them. Less fantasy, more of perspective change from people to animal. Except The Once and Future King, that's based on Athurian myth and is just awesome. I also like Island of the Blue Dolphins, which does have a historical basis. I can't remember the author of this one.

So fantasy and animal based books are mine main interest. The most mature book I think I've ever read was Gregory Maguire's Wicked. Which was an excellent book. I loved the perspective it gave on the old Wizard of Oz stories and the way it challenge the definitions of "good" and "evil". Excellent book.

And the most childish books I still read sometimes . . . the Bunnicula series by James Howe. They're just so cute.

But, yeah, those are probably my top picks. Heh, lots of books.
    Kaori likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow Booster the Gawd on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaster97 View Post
    Yeah I read it a couple of year back, she brings something as uncomfortable as rape and crafts it for kids
    I would recommend it (the writing's a little hard to get into, plus it's geared for kids keep that in mind)

I'm a servant of the lord Midorikawa's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Midorikawa on Tumblr Visit Midorikawa's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Adyniz View Post

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, I have ordered two more books:
    * The Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger
    * To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.
    I've read both of those and they're interesting. I love To Kill a Mockingbird, it's an amazing story. If you like classics then Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck, Mockingbird is best in my opinion though.

Some other good book/authors:

Ellen Hopkins-She writes amazing stories in poem format about real life situations. Crank, Glass, and Fallout is about her daughter's story with meth, Impulse is about three teenagers who tried to commit suicide and meet in a facility, and it has a sequel, and there are other amazing stories by her.

Suzanne Collins-She writes the Hunger Games which is an amazing trilogy, and she also writes the Underland Chronicles. The latter series is meant for younger audiences but still amazing, and isn't so sunshine and flowers as it does have dark elements.

Kathryn Lasky-She writes the Guardian of Ga' Hoole series. It's a series about owls in a world without humans, and it's also geared towards the same audience as the Underland Chronicles but again had dark elements such as death.
    @Crystal_Talian; I've read the first Wizard of Oz book, it was surprisingly good and a nice quick read. I want to read the whole series when I have time and of course read Wicked. The broadway play was amazing so I'm sure the book is as well.

Currently I'm reading the Black Dagger Brotherhood Series by J.R. Ward. It's and paranormal romance adult novel series so it has curse words and descriptive scenes, but is amazing nevertheless. It's about vampire warriors but its an amazing twist on the idea of vampires. If anyone is interested about it then just ask.

Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Midorikawa View Post
    I've read both of those and they're interesting. I love To Kill a Mockingbird, it's an amazing story. If you like classics then Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck, Mockingbird is best in my opinion though.

Some other good book/authors:

Ellen Hopkins-She writes amazing stories in poem format about real life situations. Crank, Glass, and Fallout is about her daughter's story with meth, Impulse is about three teenagers who tried to commit suicide and meet in a facility, and it has a sequel, and there are other amazing stories by her.

Suzanne Collins-She writes the Hunger Games which is an amazing trilogy, and she also writes the Underland Chronicles. The latter series is meant for younger audiences but still amazing, and isn't so sunshine and flowers as it does have dark elements.

Kathryn Lasky-She writes the Guardian of Ga' Hoole series. It's a series about owls in a world without humans, and it's also geared towards the same audience as the Underland Chronicles but again had dark elements such as death.
    Noted.

And they're here :)
    Midorikawa likes this.

aka the fireflies guy Vanillish Twilight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Vanillish Twilight on Tumblr

Oooh a book discussion! I really like reading, I'd rather read than play video games or watch TV. I need more variety in my reads, though, because I have been rereading the same books (the Harry Potter series and the Percy Jackson series) over and over again for the past few months so, uh I like fiction books with adventures and stuff in them and I'm not too big on romance. I'd recommend any book by Roald Dahl to anyone out there interested. Oh and Dragon Rider (actually I'm not sure if it's The Dragon Rider or just Dragon Rider lol) by Cornelia Funke is also good, I haven't read it in years, though but I still remember stuff about it. Um, I don't read many "young adult" or "teen" books, though. I did once spot a book in the store in the kid's section with an interesting summary, though but omg it had too many adult themes in it (drinking, drugs, sex omg) it was really cheesy with a really cheesy happy ending. It started off as someone looking for a job then she went to rehab and it ended up turning into some love story what. I have to really stop buying random books in the kid's section with interesting summaries. That's the second time I ended up regretting it. Anyways... Um, I haven't read any John Green books but I hear they're really good, what do you recommend, guys? I might be able to borrow it from the library.

I'm a servant of the lord Midorikawa's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Midorikawa on Tumblr Visit Midorikawa's Youtube Channel

@PikaTuesday; If adventure like Harry Potter is your type then I definitely suggest The Underland Chronicles by Suzanned Collins and Guardians of Ga' Hoole by Kathryn Lasky. Both series are low on romance and concentrated on the adventure of the main characters. Hunger Games also by Suzanned Collins is another amazing read. It's a little heavier on romance but mainly about Katniss Everdeen's journey of dealing with the Hunger Games.

Blog Entries
    Follow Mintaka On Twitter
    Follow Mintaka on Tumblr

I love mysteries; I've read all of Sherlock Holmes and nearly all of Agatha Christie's. Seishi Yokomizo's books are also amazing.
    I also enjoy reading other genre such as horror and nonfiction. Recently I've been reading translated versions of Storia Della Bruttezza and Empires of Food; I don't like studying history, but reading history on a certain, unexpected (I think?) area has been always interesting.

FC: 2294-4703-4926 | 제노바
    Friend Safari Info: Flying (Pidgey, Hoothoot, Fletchfinder)

Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

Recently, I went on a trip and took (borrowed) 3 novels with me... Haven't completed them yet but so far, they are going okay.

* Of Mice and Men (John Steinbeck)
    * The Valkyries (Paulo Coelho)... It's about spiritualism, guardian angels etc.
    * Digital Fortress (Dan Brown)

I also bought some new 'self help' books, including:

* How to Have a Beautiful Mind (Edward De Bono)
    * Build a Better You
    * Get Your Sh!t Together (Ruth Field)... This one is actually for females... It's about women empowerment and stuff.
    I was in a hurry when I bought the book and didn't bother to read the complete description. It costed me more than the 2 books I have mentioned above -___-
    Last edited by Adyniz; 25th June 2013 at 02:11 PM.

Silver Strategician LadyScathach's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've read Speak, and to be honest it wasn't as good as I'd heard it was. I liked the central ideas of the story, but the manner in which the book was written didn't work so well with me. The short sentences work well in Melinda's attempts to make sense of the world, but I dunno. I just didn't like it, for some reason.

For my sophomore year, we read Fahrenheit 451, which I loved. The ideas were beautiful, the quotes were memorable, and the society humbling. The bomb towards the end took me a few tries to understand though. But that might have just been because I procrastinated on the reading, and so was doing it late at night.

To Kill A Mockingbird was another book that I read in school. Amazing book. I'm going to have to take up reading it every summer like my Mom does. lol

@Vanillish Twilight; Read them. Especially The Fault in our Stars.

And then the books I'm currently reading/want to read...
    Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns
    The Mental Floss History of the United States: The (Almost) Complete and (Entirely) Entertaining Story of America by Erik Sass, Will Pearson, and Mangesh Hattikudur
    Looking for Alaska by John Green

I love how 2/3 are summer reading...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast