Book Suggestions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Book Suggestions

Blog Entries
    Follow ghaskan On Twitter
    Follow ghaskan on Tumblr

Default Book Suggestions

If you want to read a book but aren't sure of which, feel free to post in this thread with an indication of what you're looking for. Anything from a genre to a small description is fine, but make sure to give at least some kind of pointer, as merely "I need a book suggestion" or anything of that sort is too vague for the people making suggestions.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Book Suggestions

Well, what book do you recommend?
    Enigma pop star is fun
    She wear burqa for fashion
    - Lady Gaga

The Dimension Witch Dolce's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dolce On Twitter
    Follow Dolce on Tumblr Visit Dolce's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by zakisrage View Post
    Well, what book do you recommend?
    That's to vague to work with. So for starters do you have any genres your interested in?

IGN: Dolce, 3DS FC: 4554-1270-5039
    Entertainment, Inc.Global Trade Station
    "There is no such thing as a coincidence in this world. There is only the inevitable."

The Sworn Brothers Adyniz's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

Does anyone know some good books on Psychology? Mannerism and self-healing, to be more specific.

Blog Entries

Follow Oswin on Tumblr

OK, I'd like a recommendation please. I like pretty much all genres and length is no problem, so why don't you tell me which book is your favourite and I'll give it a go? The last two books I read were "A Christmas Carol" and "The Hobbit", if it helps in anyway (which I doubt). I would definitely recommend both of those books to anyone too.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

I'd like some suggestions on horror/science novels from the Victorian Era. And no Sherlock Holmes please XDD

Fairy Queen Kaori's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Kaori on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by PkmnGreen View Post
    OK, I'd like a recommendation please. I like pretty much all genres and length is no problem, so why don't you tell me which book is your favourite and I'll give it a go? The last two books I read were "A Christmas Carol" and "The Hobbit", if it helps in anyway (which I doubt). I would definitely recommend both of those books to anyone too.
    You like cats. Go read James Bowen's A Street Cat Named Bob. It's a bit of a literary bandwagon lately so I presume you've heard of it, but if you haven't, it's just a relatively short autobiographical book about a guy who was struggling to get his life back on track and took in this scatty little stray who kept following him. It's pretty darn adorable, I read it recently and it did leave a smile on my face.

Failing that, a less lighthearted one to wrap your head around (and a personal favourite of mine) would be Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, if you're really up for anything. It's about the experiences of a something-of-an-outcast character in a dystopian society in the future utilising sleep learning and artificial reproduction to create a high-functioning and very much segregated population. If you're into that sort of drastic stuff, it's a bloody good read. Really quite philosophical, ringing true with a lot of principles in society today.

I'm sorry to say nothing jumps to the forefront of my mind for Dark Blueberry or Adyniz just yet.
    Oswin likes this.

[12:40:02 AM] Karamazov: I call Kaori the chick who could crush me under her tits
    ~ Proud Head of Entertainment, Inc. ~ Fanclub ~ Come join the conversation in the Entertainment, Inc. General Chat Thread!~

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Okay, guys, I need something dark. Not something gritty and realistic, I need some kind of extremely bleak and creepy fantasy, like Pan's Labyrinth in book form. Preferably starring a protagonist who has serious issues. I just need a relentlessly dark and twisted fantasy to escape into.

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adyniz View Post
    Does anyone know some good books on Psychology? Mannerism and self-healing, to be more specific.
    I enjoyed Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman. I got it for Christmas two years ago. It can be a bit dense, but if psych's a field you know a bit about, it's not too difficult of a read.

And if you consider his topics psychological, which I guess they are sorta, anything by Malcolm Gladwell. Outliers was one of the few books in English lying around the house I was renting during field research in Tanzania, and I absolutely loved it. Had read Blink a few years earlier in high school.

aka the fireflies guy Vanillish Twilight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Vanillish Twilight on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Pschitt View Post
    Okay, guys, I need something dark. Not something gritty and realistic, I need some kind of extremely bleak and creepy fantasy, like Pan's Labyrinth in book form. Preferably starring a protagonist who has serious issues. I just need a relentlessly dark and twisted fantasy to escape into.
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman could qualify as something dark, you could try that. I haven't read it myself, but my sister has. Oh, but I watched the movie based on it, and I'm pretty sure the book would be way scarier.
    edit: omg I just read the wikipedia article about it, even a short summary about what happened gave me chills...it is scarier than the movie.

I'm looking for something to read because I need a bit more variety, I can't keep rereading Percy Jackson and Harry Potter books forever. I like fiction books, but I don't particularly enjoy books that revolve around romance; I'd like something that centers more on a thrilling adventure. It doesn't matter how long the book is, but I like long ones. (but it doesn't have to be completely devoid of romance, for example: Harry Potter, there is romance in it but that isn't what the plot centers on)
    Last edited by Vanillish Twilight; 21st January 2013 at 09:54 AM.

The Sworn Brothers Adyniz's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by GreatLiver View Post
    I enjoyed Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman. I got it for Christmas two years ago. It can be a bit dense, but if psych's a field you know a bit about, it's not too difficult of a read.

And if you consider his topics psychological, which I guess they are sorta, anything by Malcolm Gladwell. Outliers was one of the few books in English lying around the house I was renting during field research in Tanzania, and I absolutely loved it. Had read Blink a few years earlier in high school.
    Haven't heard of them before... I will note them down. Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PikaTuesday View Post
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman could qualify as something dark, you could try that. I haven't read it myself, but my sister has. Oh, but I watched the movie based on it, and I'm pretty sure the book would be way scarier.
    edit: omg I just read the wikipedia article about it, even a short summary about what happened gave me chills...it is scarier than the movie.
    Why did I just know that somebody would suggest Coraline? xD I guess I have to read it now.

Blog Entries

Follow Niji on Tumblr

Johnny the Homicidal Maniac. It has some supernatural stuff, the dude has serious issues with humanity, tons of people die, and it's hilarious. Skulduggery Pleasant and Incarceron are also somewhat dark, more fantasy (although the later is Sci-fi), have characters with problems to some extent, and are my other two favorite books. These three would be my recommendations to anyone.

Keep on kicking butt, Yuzu!

Blog Entries

Roald Dahl, Steven King and Irvine Welsh have some great books. Creators of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Shining and Trainspotting. So your know they're good :)

I recommend The Hunger Games for those who haven't read it but have seen the movie. It's really good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast