What to do with Generation V...

Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: What to do with Generation V...

  1. #1
    Team Rocket recruit Zeferin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    In a dark, cold box, and unsure why I'm here...
    Posts
    786

    Default What to do with Generation V...

    As everyone knows, Generation V is just around the corner. I must ask, though, with the new generation of items, moves, abilities, and of course new Pokemon and possibly pokemon types, how will this effect URPG?

    All my questions can be summarized in just two questions:
    • Will we transition as soon as it is released from Japan, or wait until it is translated in Australia/USA/Europe?
    • If we wait, for how long?



    I don't know what the mods and admins think, but I want to hear from everyone to see what you all think.

  2. #2
    pikachu in a highchair We Taste Pies...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    pikachu in a highchair
    Posts
    3,342

    Default Re: What to do with Generation V...

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeferin View Post
    As everyone knows, Generation V is just around the corner. I must ask, though, with the new generation of items, moves, abilities, and of course new Pokemon and possibly pokemon types, how will this effect URPG?

    All my questions can be summarized in just two questions:
    • Will we transition as soon as it is released from Japan, or wait until it is translated in Australia/USA/Europe?
    • If we wait, for how long?



    I don't know what the mods and admins think, but I want to hear from everyone to see what you all think.
    Typically, nothing is implemented until after the US release... and usually not for a while after. A lot of stuff has to be worked out. Its more complicated that it might seem on the surface =P

  3. #3
    Licensed Scientician DrStubbsberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,298

    Default Re: What to do with Generation V...

    Yeah I'd have thought that as well, the organisers will need the extra time to get to grips with all the new features and reprogram the calcs.
    My newly revamped URPG Stats

    Looking for a battle? My AIM is DrStubbsberg. I'm also a ref, so I've got you covered either way.

    I own the Dewford Gym

  4. #4
    Registered User Iridium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    351

    Default Re: What to do with Generation V...

    Quote Originally Posted by DrStubbsberg View Post
    Yeah I'd have thought that as well, the organisers will need the extra time to get to grips with all the new features and reprogram the calcs.
    That, as well as other things such as updating the mart, deciding prices for all the TMs and stuff, deciding story categories for Pokemon and other things like that. It'll around a week or two after the games are released in the US.
    URPG Stats

    AIM Screenname: PokelordUltimate

    Ask me to ref on AIM!



    Banner and Avatar by Feng

  5. #5
    Trainer Ordinaire evanfardreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    788

    Default Re: What to do with Generation V...

    Do you think those of us who've joined from BMG and attained semi-respectable positions, like grader or referee, are going to be solicited for input, or is it all stuff generally decided upon by the admins?
    Evan F's Stats

    Long Live the Ghost Dojo!

  6. #6
    No need for the disco Raves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,186
    Blog Entries
    28

    Default Re: What to do with Generation V...

    I'd imagine the core of the recoding concerned with generations is a generally administrative challenge, though respected folks in the URPG may also be allowed a say in things, usually on the contributive side.

    Of course, if the 5th gen's major mechanic is simply moving sprites at all times, we've not got a huge chunk to worry about. However, we rarely ever get something that simple.

    Also, my avatar rocks.

    MFW ponies

    Fishy Bubbles

  7. #7
    Unregistered user Mubz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,137

    Default Re: What to do with Generation V...

    i would suspect that it would be at least a month or two after the US, since their is a hell of a lot to work out
    URPG Stats


    Airik 7:42 pm
    i just hope that when puberty hits he grows out of pokemon

  8. #8
    I'm Zombilicious Zombie Muse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Braaaiiiinnss...
    Posts
    425

    Default Re: What to do with Generation V...

    I'm actually expecting a week after USA relases because we would've known everything we need to know about Gen V for a while before the release date. And it's all up to the higher ups, like the main staff. I doubt they'll have every grader, ref, contest judge say whatever and have all their input in it.

  9. #9
    The Hero You Never Needed Neonsands's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    C Burg
    Posts
    2,369
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: What to do with Generation V...

    Whatever the result is, I imagine it will be handled to the best ability the administrators can muster. They all seem to know what they are talking about (most of the time).

  10. #10
    Sorm Sormeki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    349

    Default Re: What to do with Generation V...

    It seems like it could be done almost simultaneously with the North American release. The mechanics could be figure out between the release in Japan and in North America and the English names are usually known before then. Of course it depends how much time people have to spend on working on it too. The Ultra Dex would need to be updated, as well as the list of moves in the reffing encyclopedia. Not to mention the reffing calculators. And that's just the start of it. There would still be the story aspect and contests and the national park.

    Perhaps the people that work on it could teach people what they need to do and get some more people to help to speed up the process when it is time to work on it.

  11. #11
    Head of the URPG HKim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,443

    Default Re: What to do with Generation V...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sormeki View Post
    It seems like it could be done almost simultaneously with the North American release. The mechanics could be figure out between the release in Japan and in North America and the English names are usually known before then. Of course it depends how much time people have to spend on working on it too. The Ultra Dex would need to be updated, as well as the list of moves in the reffing encyclopedia. Not to mention the reffing calculators. And that's just the start of it. There would still be the story aspect and contests and the national park.

    That's a very good point. Now that we have a base on a forum that is a little more active in terms of Pokemon News, we might have a better idea of what to expect with an English release rather than always having to search it on our own. Although I could be mistaken, none of the URPG leadership knows Japanese (at best we cover English, a few European languages, and whatever Ataro and Sam speak).

    Ataro, being the Battle Section Chief, will be directing this effort and I imagine he'll be coordinating among various people how to implement any mechanical game changes which will be the biggest part of the next generation (at least as far as we know).

    Perhaps with a bit more help, we could release is sooner (though let's be honest. The two weeks after release in America is going to be an inactive period for the URPG since we're all playing the new game.)

  12. #12
    No need for the disco Raves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,186
    Blog Entries
    28

    Default Re: What to do with Generation V...

    >implying Europeans will be playing and therefore URPG will be still inactive.

    Blast this wretched economy.

    MFW ponies

    Fishy Bubbles

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •