URPG Tiering system - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: URPG Tiering system

Blog Entries

Default Re: URPG Tiering system

Quote Originally Posted by pman View Post
    What exactly does the Evo stone do?
    Not fully evolved 'mons have defense/sp. defense+1.

Blog Entries

okay, that'd be scary on a scyther
    URPG Snowbelle Leader
    Looking for: Rotom
    UFT: Depends what you're offering

okay, that'd be scary on a scyther
    Yeah, now 4x super effective Stone Edge won't even dent it!

Trophies

Quote Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
    Yeah, now 4x super effective Stone Edge won't even dent it!
    It's the "Pokemon have counters!" argument again.

Quote Originally Posted by Monbrey View Post
    It's the "Pokemon have counters!" argument again.
    I thought it was more of the "fragile pokemon with glaring weaknesses are not scary with defenses +1."

You might be right though
    URPG Stats
    "whut" missingapparatus
    I am quite average actually, and I have no boobs. So no point in stripping ^_^

I Invented the Pidgeot SiberianTiger's Avatar

P2/Dusclops are terrific users of the evolution stone.

Other than that, I don't think it will make all that big of a difference in the URPG, and I don't think it is at all worth banning. Seriously, just do some calculations with it. Not a huge difference maker, in most cases.

URPG Stats
    Legend of the Thief
    All Your Base Are Belong to Lulsec

Trophies
    Blog Entries

I went ahead and made this quick list of Pokemon I think are for sure 'tier 1'.

Aerodactyl
    Alakazam
    Crobat
    Dragonite
    Gengar
    Gliscor
    Infernape
    Jolteon
    Machamp
    Metagross
    Porygon-Z
    Salamence
    Sceptile
    Scizor
    Starmie
    Togekiss
    Tyranitar

And then here are some Pokemon I think people would argue for 'tier 1', some maybe by myself:

Ambipom
    Breloom
    Charizard
    Dusknoir
    Electrode
    Garchomp
    Gyarados
    Kingdra
    Rhyperior
    Roserade
    Smeargle
    Snorlax
    Swampert
    Weavile
    Wobbuffet
    Yanmega
    Last edited by Pidge; 26th February 2011 at 03:49 PM.

Blog Entries

I'd say Garchomp, Rhyperior and Kingdra are OU. The list looks good.

Blog Entries

I've never seen anyone use smeargle but it has potential for OU, subseed, give it some boosts and sweep could work.

Or Swords Dance, technician, Expert belt priority attacks.

the only wall to kingdra is still empoleon.

Someone wanna teach me to use a swampy?
    URPG Snowbelle Leader
    Looking for: Rotom
    UFT: Depends what you're offering

Trophies

Tough call to make, based on the fact that OU literally means "Over Used". While something like Aerodactyl or Porygon-Z is definitely good enough, there aren't enough of them to fit the definition. Elite's such as yourself Pidge might all have them, but the majority of the userbase doesnt. However, I fully admit that if we take the term literally then it obviously breaks the whole point of tiering which is to split up Pokemon that, in theory, can't fairly face each other. Unlike Smogon/PO battling, we don't have access to everything we would otherwise use. I agree with your list on the whole, simply suggesting we should perhaphs have our own names for the tiers that actually reflect what they are: basically something along the lines of Awesome/Good/OK/Crap/WTFAREYOUTHINKING?

Take one look at any FFA and I think we can put those damn Kingdras in OU. Probably Garchomp and Swampert too. Maybe I'm a little biased by my position defending Fire, but I see those three come up a lot, despite Swampert continually taking Solarbeams to the face. I'd love to argue in Charizard's favour, but its a tricky Pokemon to use with nearly everything carrying Stone Edge. But if it manages to set up, have fun trying to take it down without a Tyranitar or similar.

Also suggesting Ambipom, always been a pretty reliable lead for me.
    Last edited by Monbrey; 22nd February 2011 at 05:53 AM.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Synthesis View Post
    I'd say Garchomp, Rhyperior and Kingdra are OU. The list looks good.
    thanks

The weird thing about Garchomp is... It only gets two unique (not Substitute, Protect, etc.) non-attacking move: Swords Dance and Roar. If you look at the other Pokemon up there, they all can do a bunch of different crap, but the most unpredictable thing you'll get from Garchomp is Sand Veil working. I'm not sure whether predictability matters or not. Garchomp is straightforward, but it still can wreck things.

Rhyperior is pretty similar to Garchomp, but add that is has a worse typing, a decent ability to make up for its bad typing a little, a worse speed, and Rock Polish to help get rid of that speed.

I've never seen anyone use smeargle but it has potential for OU, subseed, give it some boosts and sweep could work.

Or Swords Dance, technician, Expert belt priority attacks.

the only wall to kingdra is still empoleon.

Someone wanna teach me to use a swampy?
    Smeargle's main strength is using Spore on something slower and then use a boosting move like Dragon Dance or Belly Drum and Baton Pass away to something that will wreck the other team. It can use moves like Taunt to stop anything that might try to Roar you away, and Encore against faster Pokemon who think it's a good opportunity to set up. That's the good side of it. The bad side is that it's really frail and can be easily 2HKO'd, if not OHKO. It's Taunt bait and can be set up on. It's not a Pokemon that is really going to get any KO's, but supports others. Being all these things, it's very possible for it to be a liability on your team, using up one of your 6 slots, especially if your opponent is using a lot of fast Pokemon. Smeargle is kind of hit or miss.

And I think Kingdra is pretty good. What bothers me is that it only has like 4 attacking types: Water, Dragon, Ice, and Hidden Power. Signal Beam doesn't really count since STAB Surf does more than SE Signal Beam... Unless it's like against Exeggutor... Dragon Dance, Yawn, and good typing are what it makes it pretty effective.

Swampert is a jerk to a bunch of Pokemon: Aerodactyl, Dragonite, Garchomp, Gliscor, Jolteon, Rhyperior, Salamence, Scizor, Tyranitar, Weavile. It can switch in on most of those Pokemon without worrying about much damage usually and Roar away their set up or hit them super effective. Access to Yawn and Stealth Rock just make it even more useful. However, it's slow, and that means you can't expect it to really sweep or doing much besides keeping certain Pokemon in line.

Quote Originally Posted by Monbrey View Post
    Tough call to make, based on the fact that OU literally means "Over Used". While something like Aerodactyl or Porygon-Z is definitely good enough, there aren't enough of them to fit the definition. Elite's such as yourself Pidge might all have them, but the majority of the userbase doesnt. However, I fully admit that if we take the term literally then it obviously breaks the whole point of tiering which is to split up Pokemon that, in theory, can't fairly face each other. Unlike Smogon/PO battling, we don't have access to everything we would otherwise use. I agree with your list on the whole, simply suggesting we should perhaphs have our own names for the tiers that actually reflect what they are: basically something along the lines of Awesome/Good/OK/Crap/WTFAREYOUTHINKING?

Take one look at any FFA and I think we can put those damn Kingdras in OU. Probably Garchomp and Swampert too. Maybe I'm a little biased by my position defending Fire, but I see those three come up a lot, despite Swampert continually taking Solarbeams to the face. I'd love to argue in Charizard's favour, but its a tricky Pokemon to use with nearly everything carrying Stone Edge. But if it manages to set up, have fun trying to take it down without a Tyranitar or similar.

Also suggesting Ambipom, always been a pretty reliable lead for me.
    Yeah, I was actually thinking calling it 'overused' would probably be a misnomer. Going with tier 1, 2, 3, etc. might be more appropriate.

I haven't used Charizard, except once or twice in my gym I think (I just finished TM-ing it sort of recently). I imagine in a normal battle, it would come up short easily due to Stealth Rock and it can only set up safely against a few Pokemon, like Metagross and Scizor (and Roserade). However, it has a giant ass movepool for attacking with, three ways to boosts its attack according to the situation (Dragon Dance, Swords Dance, Belly Drum), and 'tech' moves like Roost, Will-o-wisp, and Roar.

I put Ambipom there. I'm tired of editing this, so for now I'll just say Ambipom is annoyingly good.
    Last edited by Pidge; 26th February 2011 at 03:57 PM.

Blog Entries

No Electrode love?
    (3:38:28 PM) [URPG Leaders]: (ojajrrj) TE is trolling
    (3:38:32 PM) [URPG Leaders]: (ojajrrj) the leaker has motives
    (3:56:16 PM) [URPG Leaders]: (sniperxpwnage) although it's also worth consideration of how we're seemingly pinpointing all the blame towards TE when supposedly, a staff of ours is at fault
    (3:56:47 PM) [URPG Leaders]: (imsocorn) Its important that we deal with TE
    (4:02:00 PM) [URPG Leaders]: (hkimf) Yes, permanently ban TE.

good, you guys know how to pinpoint the error

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ketamine View Post
    No Electrode love?
    How could I forget Electrode?

Rapidash is the darkhorse of the list.

I think Rotom-O could be added as like a second tier

maybe Ludicolo, Slowbro, Lucario, Gallade?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast