URPG Dungeons - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: URPG Dungeons

Default Re: URPG Dungeons

I love this idea, but think we should keep it firmly centered in Pokemon. It seems like the few things we've tried to do that strayed from normal Pokemon stuff *cough* Trainer's Estate *cough* have failed miserably. That being said, this could be very interesting. If you're worried about people not being active enough to keep it going, why not make it an event instead of a permanent section, like PE2K's WAR, only maybe twice a year or something. Then there could be teams, etc.
    I speak four languages, help me practice please
    Hablas conmigo en español, por favor
    Vous parlez avec moi en français, s'il vous plaît
    我正在学中文

I like the idea, and although I think it would be fun to have something like that constantly going on, I agree with Alaska about it probably being more successful as an event or a semi-yearly thing.

I love grid-based things, but if it's going to be like a mini FFA, it might be hard to find a group of people on for several hours, considering it would probably take that long. When FFAs earn better rewards (in theory), people may opt to just do those instead (not that those happen very often anyway) if they're going to be spending a similar amount of time.

I do like it though, and if we could hammer out some clear objectives and how it's supposed to be run, I would definitely help out with it.
    ChainReaction 6:09 pm
    I quickly slammed the palm of my hand onto a butt
    Ranger | Grader | Ref | Curator
    AIM: WinterVines
    URPG Stats

Blog Entries

Yeah, basically what Winter said. It'd probably go a lot quicker without having to manipulate programs to get grids and having to keep going back to them, especially if it was on AIM. I'd like if it was similar to the Park (as it's kind of coming across in some of the posts), but it'd need to have distinct differences, like being able to be used on AIM being most obvious one. I think it'd be nice to know exactly what kind of plots would go on, and maybe a little more on it, if anyone has any ideas?

Edit: And if anyone's played Rumble on the Wii it could end up quite similar to that, which is basically a much more simplified version of mystery dungeon.

Quote Originally Posted by ChainReaction01 View Post
    Yeah, I think if the grids are going to be that small then they might as well just be skipped. Perhaps HKim's route is best - each floor could be like a Team FFA, where a Dungeon Master controls all the "Wild Pokemon" and/or the Dungeon Boss, and the other team comprises of the 3-5 Adventurers. That way a normal ref can ref the battles too. Some payment system will probably need to be worked out, but that's something to be done a little farther down the road.
    This is a good option, but there are several concerns this raises.
    1. If it's similar to FFAs, a lot of refs aren't going to want to do it, especially with a team of five, when only six are required for an FFA.
    2. Depending on the rewards - if they're the same/greater than that of an FFA, then why wouldn't they have limits on them (as the FFA does at one a week). Restriction is not the best way to get something started. If it's less, then why do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapigeon View Post
    I love this idea, but think we should keep it firmly centered in Pokemon. It seems like the few things we've tried to do that strayed from normal Pokemon stuff *cough* Trainer's Estate *cough* have failed miserably. That being said, this could be very interesting. If you're worried about people not being active enough to keep it going, why not make it an event instead of a permanent section, like PE2K's WAR, only maybe twice a year or something. Then there could be teams, etc.
    An event seems like it could be a good idea, but most events (save WAR because of the wide variety of activities) do not get a lot of participants.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterVines View Post
    I like the idea, and although I think it would be fun to have something like that constantly going on, I agree with Alaska about it probably being more successful as an event or a semi-yearly thing.

I love grid-based things, but if it's going to be like a mini FFA, it might be hard to find a group of people on for several hours, considering it would probably take that long. When FFAs earn better rewards (in theory), people may opt to just do those instead (not that those happen very often anyway) if they're going to be spending a similar amount of time.

I do like it though, and if we could hammer out some clear objectives and how it's supposed to be run, I would definitely help out with it.
    I would like more of an idea of Harry's direction, because clear objectives, as Winter says, may help in forming more ideas.

Not that masterful The pokemaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sequentio View Post
    This is a good option, but there are several concerns this raises.
    1. If it's similar to FFAs, a lot of refs aren't going to want to do it, especially with a team of five, when only six are required for an FFA.
    2. Depending on the rewards - if they're the same/greater than that of an FFA, then why wouldn't they have limits on them (as the FFA does at one a week). Restriction is not the best way to get something started. If it's less, then why do it?
    Personally, there's been a few times where I'd have liked to host a FFA, but there hasn't even been six people online on AIM, and I haven't been able to. If something were able to be done with 2-5 people, like a small team FFA, I'd be up for it. Something like the team "boss fight" that was suggested could work, imo. It could be a good way for like, three people to get together, and be able to work as a team in a fight, as opposed to participating on a team in a large FFA, which has more people, and no guaranteed teams.

I think it could work if it was laid out as a new battle style, with like a 2-5 people battle against either a boss, or a group of enemies, controlled by the ref, and held on either forum or AIM. Payouts could be similar to a normal battle, with something like $2,000 for a win, and $1,000 for a loss or something of the sorts, and likewise, $500 per trainer Pokemon for the ref. That would only be netting the ref a total of $2,500 if it was restricted to five battlers, and just as much can be made from a regular 5v5. There would be precautions to make sure refs don't become biased, I guess, like they have to publicly roll random moves for the wild Pokemon.

Events surrounding this could go down the lines of a mass, "URPGers vs AI" kind of fight, where there could be 10+ battlers, all fighting against a horde of "wild" Pokemon controlled by a ref, or perhaps a couple of refs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The pokemaster View Post
    Personally, there's been a few times where I'd have liked to host a FFA, but there hasn't even been six people online on AIM, and I haven't been able to. If something were able to be done with 2-5 people, like a small team FFA, I'd be up for it. Something like the team "boss fight" that was suggested could work, imo. It could be a good way for like, three people to get together, and be able to work as a team in a fight, as opposed to participating on a team in a large FFA, which has more people, and no guaranteed teams.

I think it could work if it was laid out as a new battle style, with like a 2-5 people battle against either a boss, or a group of enemies, controlled by the ref, and held on either forum or AIM. Payouts could be similar to a normal battle, with something like $2,000 for a win, and $1,000 for a loss or something of the sorts, and likewise, $500 per trainer Pokemon for the ref. That would only be netting the ref a total of $2,500 if it was restricted to five battlers, and just as much can be made from a regular 5v5. There would be precautions to make sure refs don't become biased, I guess, like they have to publicly roll random moves for the wild Pokemon.

Events surrounding this could go down the lines of a mass, "URPGers vs AI" kind of fight, where there could be 10+ battlers, all fighting against a horde of "wild" Pokemon controlled by a ref, or perhaps a couple of refs.
    I like the idea of 3-5 people and think it could definitely work out, and the pay doesn't seem to bad either. It'd be cool if say the person with most amount of dungeons cleared every fortnight or month or so would get a little bonus to promote activity. Although, that's probably a little further down the line. Having this work on AIM would be benefecial definitely, imo.

I'd like to put together a team to work on this and develop this idea further. This would probably involve planning the mechanics, running a few trials, and polishing it up.

Ultimately, it would be submitted to the URPG leadership for approval, but I don't think that will be too much of a problem.

I'd like to know who here would be interested in being a member of this team.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Last edited by Pidge; 14th October 2011 at 11:56 PM.

Angry about Outer Heavens ChainReaction01's Avatar

Lolpidge

I'd be interested in helping out, I really enjoyed working on the Missions (even though that flopped).
    URPG Stats
    SCROLL OF CHAINS
    Ranger Chapter | Referee Chapter | Grader Chapter | Judge Chapter
    ~No one understands how important sex is better than someone who isn't having any.~

"ALLAREFRED" WinterVines 7:15 pm
    nightgowns aren't for sleeping silly

I'll help out in whatever way I can
    Even in death, there is no command but MINE!™°|
    White FC: 0776 8732 5101
    3DS FC: 4914 3333 8109 IGN: Jerome

I'll try and help out here, I guess.

Blog Entries

I'd like to help out.

Blog Entries

Sounds snazzy.
    I'd help out if you wanted.

Stumped Turtwig A's Avatar Bulbapedia Junior Administrator
    Blog Entries

I sense a ranger monopoly, so I volunteer.

(20:56:57) Luxis: All y'all are a bunch of Silly heads.
    RIP Giruja. Why must you have been fake?

(17:58:01) daytwon: why am i watchin ot turtwig
    (17:58:03) ±Dratini: daytwon was muted by Heather Star for 30 minutes! [Reason: inappropriate] [Channel: Trivia]

[15:26] Synthesis: he ain't godkilled
    [15:27] Ebail: Zam was Syn
    [15:27] Synthesis: it was an agreed sacrifice to the gods

I'd be happy to help, if needed. (:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast