Blog Entries

Default The URPG Dojo League V2.0

Can we please do this at some point? I even have the old thread updated :3

Mubz96 7:04 pm
    do it

The URPG Dojo League V2.0

Banner by Sequentio

What is the Dojo League?

The URPG Dojo League is a challenge of 16 Dojos, exclusively for members who have been a member of the URPG before ___ The league is run very similarly to the way the Gym League runs. Anyone eligeble to face these Dojos can also own one if they have the best application out of everyone applying.

How can I apply to be a Leader?

Just fill out the following form and await approval and the applicant we feel most deservant of the Dojo will get it.

APPLICATION FORM:

Username Fill in your Bulbagarden forums username or your Pokemon Elite 2000 one, if you have one
    AIM Screename: This is mandatory for now as most battles will be done over AIM.
    Gym you're applying for: The Gym type will do here
    Lineup: List the Pokemon you own, and the Pokemon you intend to rent.
    Other info: Anything else you feel necessary to add

Sample Form:

Username: Synthesis on BMGf, Synthesis on Pe2k
    AIM Screename: TheSyn4
    Gym you're applying for: Electric
    Lineup: Jolteon, Raichu and Ampharos are owned. I'd like to rent an Electivire for now.
    Other info: I have an Elekid purchase at the mart pending approval

RULES:

-You must own at least one of the Pokemon in your lineup. The Pokemon must be of the same type as the Dojo and Dual-typed Pokemon are acceptable in either of the Dojo's their Types belong to. Example: Togekiss is acceptable in a Normal and a Flying Dojo, but not in a Grass Dojo

-If there are multiple applications for the same dojo at one time, the best will be chosen.

-Some Dojos have certain Pokemon that aren't of the Dojo's type allowed, (Wild Cards). A Wild Card Pokemon will not be permitted unless it has already been approved. Examples include Porygon-Z for Electric, Flygon for Bug, Sudowoodo for Grass. A Dojo may only have one WC maximum.

-Legendary Pokemon can't be a part of the lineup, unfortunately.

-The Pokémon you choose that you don't own will be borrowed from the Dojo. You may to buy TM’s from the Pokémart or put these Pokemon in the Daycare Center for additional moves. These rented Pokemon cannot be used outside of the Dojo. It is suggested that you own as many as the Dojo Pokémon yourself as you can.

-If you catch a new Pokemon and want to switch it with a borrowed Dojo Pokemon, you may do so. Any TM's on the borrowed Pokemon will transfer to the replacement Pokemon of the same type. Tauros -> Tauros {TM's transfer.} Tauros -> Blisssey {TM's don't transfer.}

-As a special bonus, Dojo Senseis who own 4 Dojo Pokémon may add up to 2 extra legal Pokémon to their Dojo Pool (rented or owned), for a total of 8 Dojo Pokémon. Dojo Senseis who own 6 or more Dojo Pokémon may add up to 4 legal Pokémon to their Dojo Pool (rental or owned) for a total of 12 Dojo Pokémon.

-The trainer who manages to beat all 16 gyms will be the league sensei. However, if another trainer manages to beat all 16 dojos too, he or she will be able to challenge the current sensei to a battle, and so on. Challengers that loses, including the League Sensei, must wait for a week to re-challenge.

-Defeating the league has no value for challenging the Elite 4 whatsoever.

-Have fun. No seriously, do it.

Rules for a League Sensei Battle:

(Winner receives $4k, loser receives $3k, referee receives $4k)

6 vs 6
    Revolution
    Holds On
    Sleep/Freeze Clause
    OHKO Clause
    Normal Terrain/Weather
    No Legendary Pokemon

追放されたバカ

Default Re: The URPG Dojo League V2.0

Yes

Wasn't here for original, but this looks fun. :D

Thanks Pokemon Trainer Sarah!

What he said ^

Trophies
    Blog Entries

idk yes or no, probably no. can you even name 16 active, but new people, without digging too far back in time? the timing of the first dojo league was good since we kinda started a new branch and all on a new forum...

also...

Theoretically, anyone is able to run an unofficial league of sorts. Let me give you an example.

Let's say you have a group of friends. You create your own unofficial league called the Color League, composed of yourself and 6 friends. Each color gym specializes in one color of Pokemon: red, blue, yellow, green, etc. Each leaders uses only Pokemon of one color. The rules of each battle are determined by the Color League leader. In order to be the Color League champion, you must defeat the 6 other Color League leaders, and then you're considered the rainbow daddy among your friends. You may even allow people that aren't leaders themselves to try and beat the league. I have no reason to and there's nothing I can do to stop some kind of system like that. However...

The only thing about it being unofficial is that you don't get anything extra, like prizes or bonus money. You could hypothetically gift your champion something during the gift station I suppose. The battles themselves would be seen in ref logs as any other URPG battle. Also if you use Pokemon you don't own, such as unofficial rentals, then it's not a real official URPG battle, it isn't logged, and nobody gets paid, but you can still count it for your own little league. Like lets say me and Jr wanted to have a battle of legendary Pokemon only, and WTP refs it. Okay cool we did it, but there's no rule allowing us to use those legendary Pokemon and actually count it as a real battle to be counted for money and part of win/loss record.

If no rentals are involved, and you actually do real URPG battles, then any special rules you make will have to be based on trust to follow, since they aren't real. Let's say for the sake of example in one of the gyms you both have to use white colored Pokemon, but that's not a real clause. There's nothing stopping either player from sending a non-white colored Pokemon, but if you're just doing this for fun, then both players will likely follow. If they don't, then there's nothing you can really do about it.

So in a sense you can create your own Battle Frontier or even Dojo league of sorts. I already spoke with MaverickKaiser about this sort of thing. If you would ever like to create something like this, it's probably best to handle it through a user group for organizational purposes. Also, I'd like to look it over to make sure you understand everything I explained, because I imagine it wasn't the most clear thing I've ever explained...

You can also run tournaments in a similar fashion.
    Last edited by Pidge; 17th November 2011 at 12:16 AM.

Blog Entries

I admit I wasn't around for the original, but it seems lame to me. We already have Gyms, and I don't see how Dojos are more than essentially extra Gyms. I can understand some people wanting a different challenge (talented battlers such as Synthesis maybe since I think he's a good battler but idk), but for the most part it seems to me to be an unnecessary bother. If you want a challenge, do the newly-implemented Exhibition Matches. There's also always the 'harder' Gyms that no one ever challenges, such as Pidge and Fortree, as well as stuff like Legend Defender, Elite Four, and Orange Islands.

I GOT MONEY IN MY BANK ACCOUNT, FUCK A BANK ACCOUNT - SOULJA BOY

[18:11] [Ranger Alliance]: (webdragoon1337) nitro, you in here?
    [18:11] Nitro: hello
    [18:12] [Ranger Alliance]: (webdragoon1337) knew there was another cool guy in here

[URPG Chat]
    3:44:43 (silverxchrome) Nitro is attractive. Source: I'm a girl.

Synthesis wouldnt be eligible to battle in the Dojo League as it will be only for people who have joined past a certain point in time. Like the previous Dojos i assume they would stay newbie exclusive for the entire time they exist. I guess people only want it because it promotes activity and keeps more of the new players around who would normally sign up and lose interest after a few weeks. However like Pidge said there isnt really enough new players to warrant this at the moment. Perhaps when we add a third branch onto URPG?

Also Pidge, regarding your post, would said leagues be allowed to have threads on the forum? Theyre not official, but since theyre URPG related maybe they could?
    URPG Stats

Airik 7:42 pm
    i just hope that when puberty hits he grows out of pokemon

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mubz View Post
    Synthesis wouldnt be eligible to battle in the Dojo League as it will be only for people who have joined past a certain point in time. Like the previous Dojos i assume they would stay newbie exclusive for the entire time they exist. I guess people only want it because it promotes activity and keeps more of the new players around who would normally sign up and lose interest after a few weeks. However like Pidge said there isnt really enough new players to warrant this at the moment. Perhaps when we add a third branch onto URPG?

Also Pidge, regarding your post, would said leagues be allowed to have threads on the forum? Theyre not official, but since theyre URPG related maybe they could?
    I'm not sure if you could have your own threads are not. I don't really seeing it being harmful, but if they're unofficial I think uninformed people may be confused about how the URPG works. A user group works just as well, if not better.

Well, the original Dojo League (yes, I was only here for the last half of it, but whatever) was implemented as a kind of feature to keep new members around after we merged with BMG. If a member has a Dojo that they're responsible for, they're more likely to stay in URPG to defend it. And for the most part, it worked. Many of the senseis who were leading when the league closed are still active in URPG. That being said, the Dojos were really fun to me, and I believe that they worked. However, I don't think that now is the time for another league. With the possibility URPG merging with another site soon, I think it would be best to just wait it out a bit longer. Besides, if we were to make a league now, it would lack the numbers it needs to succeed. The original league was made when we had a massive influx of new members. Compare that to now when we have 5 or so new members weekly. I can't think of 16 or even 8 new members who would remain active enough for a newbie league to sustain itself. All in all, I think that a new league would be a fantastic thing to start again if we happen to go to a new site, but for the time being, it just doesn't seem that logical.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
    idk yes or no, probably no. can you even name 16 active, but new people, without digging too far back in time? the timing of the first dojo league was good since we kinda started a new branch and all on a new forum...
    Obviously it wouldn't be feasible as it initially was now, but I think for some time in the future...

You can also run tournaments in a similar fashion.
    Would a time-restraint Dojo League Tourney work?

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
    I admit I wasn't around for the original, but it seems lame to me. We already have Gyms, and I don't see how Dojos are more than essentially extra Gyms. I can understand some people wanting a different challenge (talented battlers such as Synthesis maybe since I think he's a good battler but idk), but for the most part it seems to me to be an unnecessary bother. If you want a challenge, do the newly-implemented Exhibition Matches. There's also always the 'harder' Gyms that no one ever challenges, such as Pidge and Fortree, as well as stuff like Legend Defender, Elite Four, and Orange Islands.
    It clearly was not meant for my personal gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Roulette View Post
    Well, the original Dojo League (yes, I was only here for the last half of it, but whatever) was implemented as a kind of feature to keep new members around after we merged with BMG. If a member has a Dojo that they're responsible for, they're more likely to stay in URPG to defend it. And for the most part, it worked. Many of the senseis who were leading when the league closed are still active in URPG. That being said, the Dojos were really fun to me, and I believe that they worked. However, I don't think that now is the time for another league. With the possibility URPG merging with another site soon, I think it would be best to just wait it out a bit longer. Besides, if we were to make a league now, it would lack the numbers it needs to succeed. The original league was made when we had a massive influx of new members. Compare that to now when we have 5 or so new members weekly. I can't think of 16 or even 8 new members who would remain active enough for a newbie league to sustain itself. All in all, I think that a new league would be a fantastic thing to start again if we happen to go to a new site, but for the time being, it just doesn't seem that logical.
    Moving to a new forum has made little to no progress in the five months or so it was being discussed, afaik. I agree it would work best on a new if there is one, but I don't see why newbs who started towards the end of it or after it should miss out, but what can you do? (rhetorical question; don't answer it, k?)

Blog Entries

The original Dojo's intention was to allow the BMG players to participate in a "beginner's" league because Marth believed BMG wasn't ready to face the actual leagues. But over time, the Dojo Senseis actually became pretty strong battlers and a great challenging component to URPG. Some URPG players who even existed before the BMG branch even envied to be participate in the Dojo - which Marth banned them from.

If a new version of the Dojo were to exist, I recommend that all players be eligible to participate.

The original belts should also be recycled for the 2nd Dojo's use, because the original belts already expired. These new belts could even include the Dark Belt that never existed! :D

Btw, this Dojo should have an annual term like the original so then people would actually have motivation to fight for the Head Sensei for a rare pokemon and large cash reward. The Dojo shouldn't be a "soft" version of the leagues, it should be a competitive fun addition that previously existed - but this time with new additions.

Quote Originally Posted by Feng View Post

The original Dojo's intention was to allow the BMG players to participate in a "beginner's" league because Marth believed BMG wasn't ready to face the actual leagues. But over time, the Dojo Senseis actually became pretty strong battlers and a great challenging component to URPG. Some URPG players who even existed before the BMG branch even envied to be participate in the Dojo - which Marth banned them from.

If a new version of the Dojo were to exist, I recommend that all players be eligible to participate.

The original belts should also be recycled for the 2nd Dojo's use, because the original belts already expired. These new belts could even include the Dark Belt that never existed! :D

Btw, this Dojo should have an annual term like the original so then people would actually have motivation to fight for the Head Sensei for a rare pokemon and large cash reward. The Dojo shouldn't be a "soft" version of the leagues, it should be a competitive fun addition that previously existed - but this time with new additions.
    If we do this it essentially becomes a league combined with a tournament. There are already enough gym leaders who aren't readily available for challenges.

I don't mind the idea of a dojo, but I think we should just keep it for it's original purpose for expansion sites.
    League of Legends SN: ATF Crysis

pikachu in a highchair We Taste Pies...'s Avatar

As an LO, I have to oppose this until all of my gyms are filled with dedicated leaders. Sorry bro.

Feng, if all URPGers were allowed to apply, it would completely defeat the purpose of a Dojo League. New members would have to compete against more experienced members for spots, who should really be applying for actual gyms. In addition to that, adding 16 new gyms/dojos for players to apply to will mean less people to fill the open spots we already have.

Trophies

As much as I would love to see a new Dojo League formed, we don't have the numbers to make it happen as far as newbies are concerned, and if it was opened to everyone we really would just be adding more "gyms" to be filled, it would no longer represent the entire point of forming the dojos - a beginner's league. It was a great idea, and it was very successful. Now isn't the time for another though.

I can't help but be against the idea of unofficial tournaments or leagues either. We regulate a lot of things in the URPG very strictly, and aspects such as awarding prizes should be one of them. However, I can see the appeal in people wanting to collect/award their own prizes, Pokemon or money, like the prize pool idea that was suggested somewhere, probably the main chat.
    I guess what I'd suggest is that we allow these different types of tournaments to be official. For example, if someone came to me and could show they ALREADY HAD the Pokemon/money to gift to the winners, or an explanation of how the money would be collected/distributed (without personal profit =P) with a decent tournament proposal, couldn't we simply give them permission to award those personal prizes for the sake of an official tournament?
    Last edited by Monbrey; 20th November 2011 at 07:47 AM.