URPG Contests Board - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: URPG Contests Board

Default Re: URPG Contests Board

I haven't been totally watching this thread, but I noticed it's a lot easier to find people to be in festivals than normal contests. Don't know if that's useful or not.
    I speak four languages, help me practice please
    Hablas conmigo en español, por favor
    Vous parlez avec moi en français, s'il vous plaît
    我正在学中文

sec
    Blog Entries

I can say from experience that pushing AIM contests WILL bring in more activity. back before we merged with BMG the contest section was almost completely dead and so I began getting people together for AIM contests every day. Within a month there were twice as many forum contests, eight new judges, and festivals/AIM contests no judged by me were going on every day. It looks like all of the judges who used to contribute to AIM contests have left though (including Shock and I, who were the biggest ones).
    But I could definitely start getting people together again, and we could encourage the same with the current judges (another thing about judging AIM contests is that the judges almost always put them together, not the coordinators).

The only other thing I can think of is that we need a reward for gaining master rank ribbons, or even a contest league. There needs to be an overall purpose for winning contests and advancing in rank. i think me and Shock brainstormed a league up awhile back. I'll see if I can find it :]

This is what I wrote in the Contest Judge Group thing but I don't believe anyone looks at that. x.x

(For existing contests) Btw, I also think that the cash payout for Stage 1 Contests should be taken down $500 and then the Stage 2, 3, and 4 contests should have higher money. That will encourage people to go for higher lvl ribbons because honestly, like I said in the first part, there's no reason to do any contests other than @ stage 1.

(Exact prices TBD)
    Stage 1 winner gets 1500
    Stage 2 winner gets 2000
    Stage 3 winner gets 3000
    Stage 4 winner gets 4000

Also, instead of DG's no AIM festival rule. It should be changed to 1-2 Festivals per Judge per week. And only Judges who have been a Judge for 3 months may judge festivals. > Sorta like the FFA rules but a little more strict to go with the start small thing.

:O Here's another idea. What if we ditched the league idea but instead had 3 Elite Contesters which you can only challenge if you have gotten all 5 Master Ribbons. (So it'd be Nurse Joy vs Mr. Remarkable vs May vs Challenger)(There could probably be more like 4-5 but you'd only challenge 3) If you manage to get 1st place against them, then the first person would become the Champion who'd receive a Legendary. And it would work like the Legend Defender where if someone beat the Champion then winner would take the original Champion's spot and choose a different legend, the original champion would then lose the Legendary.

The F3 (Fantastic 3 8D), Legendary, and the improved money ranks will, in my mind be good enough to revive... well start up the contest section. :D

Maybe we should also combine Coordinator Stats with Trainer's Stats. We can give members another post on the max limit to work with to compensate.

Too cool for real life. HikaruIzumi's Avatar

I think that raising prize money for contests (higher ranks) might make more people do them. But lowering it for Normal rank would, imo, make less people do them. The deal with contests is that they take a lot of time and don't pay that good. Lower the money would change the opinion on contests into: take a lot of time and pay badly. And if you want to get to higher ranks you have to win at least one contests. That's not as easy as it sounds especially for inexperienced coordinators. If there's a problem with not enough people doing them, we shouldn't give them more reasons not to do them.

I think that the trading system (trading ribbons for rewards) isn't going far from the games. It simply adjusts the contests to a different format. Can you be a refree in the games?? No, games do that for you. Do you immediatelly have 100lvl mon when you catch it that knows all of its level up moves?? No. All these changes were made to fit the format of a forum game. (Not saying they're wrong, though) URPG isn't the same as games. The trading system would be just a small change compared to the others. I don't know how about you but I just want more people to try and enjoy contests. Uh... nvm... >_> lol

Anyway, about that F3 idea... Contests are more based on luck than battles are. Besides, how do you want to handle someone wanting to beat the champion?? Kill someone off from the F3 and add the champion to the contest instead?? What if someone from the F3 wins and beats even the champion in the contest?? Who will the the very first 3 (or more)?? How will they be chosen for the contest?? Will those contests happen on AIM?? Because if so, how can you make sure that all of them will be on at the same time?? I can't imagine how it would work. Not to mention that it has nothing to do with the contests in games. But if this is thought through it will be a nice addition (although I still can't imagine how it would work...)

The contests league would probably be a better idea but I think that it should be something like the Grand Festival Cup with the difference that it would happen more often. Then we could make the Grand Festival Cup different for each rank. (Grand Festival Normal Cup, Grand Festival Super Cup; those that have at least 1 Super ribbon wouldn't be able to join the normal one, etc.) Then we'll have Contest League, where everyone can compete with everyone and Grand Festival Cups where the coordinators will be certain that there will be no one with more experience than them. Or 1 GFC and 4 Contest Leagues. Either way the point is the same. This is getting quite long so I'll stop now.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Late but ohwell.

What we could always have to promote them with a tournament similar to the ones that we have regularly for battling. The prizes should be reasonably high-up story mons so that everyone would want to enter, and slightly higher pay for the duration of the tournament, similar to what we have in the FFA tourney at the moment. Of course, if these were to become a regular thing we could begin with no attributes, but as they become more popular make it that attributes become an important role.

What should also be promoted more are berry credits. Many of the more experienced battlers would probably enjoy using their berry credits to buy lum berries and chesto berries. It leaves them money aside to buy stuff like TM's and Pokémon so its not wasted on one-use items.

tl;dr, more tourneys, promote berry credits.

By the way, if you want to get into contests and you see me on AIM, drop me an IM and I'll help you to get started and I'LL JUDGE FOR YOU.

Myself and Ataro with DG's help and a couple others redid much of the contest board a bit ago to meet some requests from the members, we might have to do that now.

I want to address a few things though, the reason we have berry credits is because it was my idea off the old system. We used to just hand out berries with the money when you won the contest, but it made more sense to use a credit that way you can save them and use them on berries/blocks/scarfs instead of just using your money.

In terms of money, I think EeveeDude's idea is sound, it makes more sense to have the money progressive increasing. Contest take time on the forum, so do them on AIM. When I was previously active I encouraged AIM contests and held a few myself, but it was hard to find people who were willing to do them. However, if we increase the money I don't think we should increase the credits, increasing one is fine but not both.

In terms of a F3 at this moment in time I don't believe such a thing is viable. Perhaps in the future when there is more activity.

Furthermore, I am currently working on a few changes and a new contest style that I hope will improve activity, then myself and Ataro will tweak it and hopefully implement it.

That's all for now.

You can AIM me for contests btw.
    League of Legends SN: ATF Crysis

What about simplifying Contests in some way, or rather, giving the option to simplify them?

What makes battles easy is that you only need three people to conduct them (two battlers and a ref). Could we figure out a way to do the same thing with Contests?

With that system, we might be able to encourage more people to participate in Contests.

Quote Originally Posted by HKim View Post
    What about simplifying Contests in some way, or rather, giving the option to simplify them?

What makes battles easy is that you only need three people to conduct them (two battlers and a ref). Could we figure out a way to do the same thing with Contests?

With that system, we might be able to encourage more people to participate in Contests.
    To be completely honest I have only ever been in one contest, but even then i could see that it was trouble trying to find people to do a contest. needing five people that aren't busy is hard enough in URPG but then add one of them being a judge means that take one more person out of the list of members who like contests and you still have to find 4 more people to play. Maybe if you made it 3 people needed and 1 judge then it would be slightly more simpler. :)

Tbh I had no idea about conests and thought that they were dead as i only ever saw forum ones going on, didnt even know you could do them on aim :/

For all this though it was super duper fun and i think, that anything that you could do to improve activity would be an awesome idea :)

Ask me too judge on weekends. Get rid of contest credits or make contest credit exclusive items, oh and raise money for contests.

I like Harry's idea. I like contests, but I don't do a lot of them because there's no one else who wants to do them. It seems like there's a select minority who only or mostly do contests, and then there's everyone else. We should probably do some kind of survey and figure out what people like about contests AND battling, and then revamp the contest system.
    我正在学中文

Too cool for real life. HikaruIzumi's Avatar

I don't think contests need simplifying. At least not in making them need less people. I never had a problem with getting people for forum contests, although I can see a problem with AIM contests. I think that the biggest problem is that AIM contests take a lot of time and it is rather difficult to get 5 that have a lot of free time. But I doubt that simplifying would help. What we need is to make more people try them. They usually start enjoying it after a while but the deal is that the 'starting' isn't worth to them. Having a good stats-wise mon is pricey and without high stats, there's a low chance of winning since there aren't many newbies. Then they'll lose much more than win.

I think that the idea with survey is really good but maybe it could be paid so that more people will do it. =D IMO the most important thing is to find out why people DON'T do contests as much as battling. Or maybe there could be some event, like a huge forum festival that wouldn't count in stats, judged by an active judge with a lot higher payment than other festivals. That way there would be more people joining it since it would be fast and the prize would be worth it. I mean, in battles section there are tournaments, in park, there are park events, in stories section there are competitions. Heck, we even have art capture challenges here and there even though it doesn't have its own section. What is in contests? A few festivals no one knows about? A grand festival once a year that gets forgotten fast? I said this to Feng before but imho what contests need to be more popular is new-coordinators friendly events. Or just some events.

Definately needs a few bigger events in contestst style. Also I think maybe one way that you could get so more involvement is, maybe making it so that if you win a contest you get a certain amount of thing on your pokemon, you know like poffins do. That or the winner gets a poffin when they win thats for the same type as the cotenst for example cool. :) I think thats one of the biggest problems with contests is that you have to buy or write for a pokemon then you have to spend more money on getting it good enough to compete. which looks really hard to figure out.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

For those who want to get some easy money and are interested in beginning contests, I'll be hopefully holding a festival in approximately 2 hours from this post, maybe later than that. It will be in chat 'urpgfestival' or just IM me (Politoed Prince) for an invite.

No stats will be needed for participation, as I will be using the 'no stats' clause. However, if you have stats, you can still enter, and Pokémon with stats can still be entered, but their stats wiped for the duration of the festival.

Also hopefully hosting one some point at the weekend.

Yeah, so I had kind of an idea.

One of the reasons not a lot of people do contests is because there's like, 6 people who stat'd their Pokemon and can't be beat with an un stat'd Pokemon. And those people always win unless a judge makes it No Stats. Maybe we should make the R/S/E and D/P/PT split where one has stats and one doesn't, because nobody does D/P/PT contests anyways. And that way the people who HAVE spent money on stats wouldn't be totally screwed. People who were new to contests would have a chance at winning too. I dunno. Just seemed like a good idea. Also, to get contests off the ground, as soon as someone comes up with a new system, there should be a Contest Tourney with an awesome prize. Or something. One of the hardest things about contests is finding 4 people who want to be in one. Once we get everyone interested, it'll be easier to get them set up.

EDIT:

Also, me and Derian are going to take out judge quizzes as soon as shit gets revamped. However that ends up happening. We're willing to help whenever this whole thing gets on the road. :b
    Last edited by Alaskapigeon; 15th May 2011 at 12:33 PM.
    我正在学中文

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast