Tournament Ideas - Page 5

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Tournament Ideas

Default Re: Tournament Ideas

I just felt like throwing this idea out there 'cause I find it interesting.

A Pick your Poison Tournament. It'd be Keldeo style, like, no brackets.

Basically, each trainer chooses 3 or 4 Pokemon from their opponent's stats. Those are the Pokemon your opponent will use in the battle. But, the same way you chose what Pokemon your opponent is going to use, your opponent also chooses what Pokemon you are going to use.

Items and Abilities are still up to the original trainer's choice. It'd be interesting to be forced to use Pokemon you wouldn't normally use.

Quote Originally Posted by Eraizaa-kun View Post

Basically, each trainer chooses 3 or 4 Pokemon from their opponent's stats. Those are the Pokemon your opponent will use in the battle. But, the same way you chose what Pokemon your opponent is going to use, your opponent also chooses what Pokemon you are going to use.

Items and Abilities are still up to the original trainer's choice. It'd be interesting to be forced to use Pokemon you wouldn't normally use.
    This would be cool except so many people have permabasics that it could end up being extremely unfair and just a giant whine fest.

What Jr. said, we would need standards.
    League of Legends SN: ATF Crysis

Trophies

Awesome idea. Maybe allow people to compile a list of minimum 80%-90% of the Pokemon in their stats or something. That way they could rule out the 1-2 permabasics or whatever?

Not that masterful The pokemaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monbrey View Post

Awesome idea. Maybe allow people to compile a list of minimum 80%-90% of the Pokemon in their stats or something. That way they could rule out the 1-2 permabasics or whatever?
    I like this, but I definitely think we should be able to restrict some of our Pokemon, otherwise I know I'm going to get picked my Shedinja, Poochyena, and Zigzagoon every single time. Also, IMO this kind of tournament would be more fun if we were still able to battle with Pokemon that are usable, and not something like my unEMd Meganium that cannot do anything, and only exists for collectors sake.

EDIT: TED asked me to post this on this thread for him in his stead.
    [Thu Aug 23 2012 12:39:57 PM] Teddy Bear:
    Yeah uhh, can we like NOT have another tournament with the style of the Keldeo tournament? The only people who end up winning overall are those who (no offense but) have no life and/or end up battling the most, but those kind of go hand in hand. I understand that perhaps the point of the Keldeo tournament was to boost activity in battling, but that should NOT be the objective of our tournaments. The majority should follow a true tournament style, most of which are run as brackets. And yes, I'm pretty much only saying this because I'd like to have an actual chance to win one of these tournaments okay? I'm not on my ass all day at the computer like SLC or Nitro. Sorry to name names, but you know it's true. If everyone had the time that they had in the last tournament you damn well should know that the results would be different.
    Last edited by The pokemaster; 22nd August 2012 at 09:45 PM.
    SLCalamity likes this.

If we do that, we should just exclude permabasics :[. I don't really like this idea though, but if it's done, make guidelines on what to pick, bunch of nubs would probably just pick a bunch of crap in your stats for you to use which would be lame.
    Even in death, there is no command but MINE!™°|
    White FC: 0776 8732 5101
    3DS FC: 4914 3333 8109 IGN: Jerome

Blog Entries

I agree with TED, even though he called me out somewhere in there. Not that I was doing anything else in particular those two weeks, but winning the Keldeo tourney basically killed my social life those two weeks. I definitely do not want to do that again. Maybe next year or something since I can't really expect the thing to be completely abolished, but not again this year. I don't even like that I had to spend so much time winning the tourney - I felt pressure from SLC, who had a similar number of wins to me but a lot more losses on top of that. Roulette only ended up third despite only losing one (or maybe none at all; I can't remember). MG basically lost his way to fourth. Though I won, the whole thing irks me. As far as activity-based tournaments go, the Keldeo tourney was well-organized and I respect that Monbrey was pressed for time. But committing to activity-based tournaments is basically shooting yourself in the foot. :$ (And yeah I'm probably coming off as kind of a snob but fuck it)

I'd be down for a standard bracket tournament. I don't like all these kinky rules people throw in :|
    SLCalamity likes this.

I GOT MONEY IN MY BANK ACCOUNT, FUCK A BANK ACCOUNT - SOULJA BOY

[18:11] [Ranger Alliance]: (webdragoon1337) nitro, you in here?
    [18:11] Nitro: hello
    [18:12] [Ranger Alliance]: (webdragoon1337) knew there was another cool guy in here

[URPG Chat]
    3:44:43 (silverxchrome) Nitro is attractive. Source: I'm a girl.

Trophies

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
    I agree with TED, even though he called me out somewhere in there. Not that I was doing anything else in particular those two weeks, but winning the Keldeo tourney basically killed my social life those two weeks. I definitely do not want to do that again. Maybe next year or something since I can't really expect the thing to be completely abolished, but not again this year. I don't even like that I had to spend so much time winning the tourney - I felt pressure from SLC, who had a similar number of wins to me but a lot more losses on top of that. Roulette only ended up third despite only losing one (or maybe none at all; I can't remember). MG basically lost his way to fourth. Though I won, the whole thing irks me. As far as activity-based tournaments go, the Keldeo tourney was well-organized and I respect that Monbrey was pressed for time. But committing to activity-based tournaments is basically shooting yourself in the foot. :$ (And yeah I'm probably coming off as kind of a snob but fuck it)

I'd be down for a standard bracket tournament. I don't like all these kinky rules people throw in :|
    Yeah I totally agree with you and TED on the activity-based thing. But the community is totally unreliable. Bracketed tournaments take months simply because people don't put in the effort to actually get any battles done. People complain about us not running enough tournaments, when the simple fact is that when they take six months to complete we can only run two a year.

The point of Keldeo was that it finished after exactly two weeks - nothing more, nothing less. Now, just a couple of weeks later, we can prepare another tournament. We could do it every month, instead of waiting for two-three months during the final rounds of a tournament for the final four people to actually battle.

Bitch be trippin' balls! PokeViper's Avatar

I dunno, I know it takes a lot of time but I was gone and out of town for 3-4 days during the tourny and still managed to finish 5th. I was at a family birthday reunion and still managed to socialize with everyone. Also, my tournament ideas were ignored/shot down. :'(

Thanks EternusSitus
    click for my URPG

Blog Entries

Yeah I totally agree with you and TED on the activity-based thing. But the community is totally unreliable. Bracketed tournaments take months simply because people don't put in the effort to actually get any battles done. People complain about us not running enough tournaments, when the simple fact is that when they take six months to complete we can only run two a year.

The point of Keldeo was that it finished after exactly two weeks - nothing more, nothing less. Now, just a couple of weeks later, we can prepare another tournament. We could do it every month, instead of waiting for two-three months during the final rounds of a tournament for the final four people to actually battle.
    The answer is easy, though. Just enforce a time limit (one-two weeks) for each round with it maybe shortening here and there as the pool gets smaller and smaller through rounds, and enforce it for real. If people are going to sign up for it, they should be committed to it. If the battle can't be finished, kick out whoever deserves to be kicked out, or roll for somebody to advance if there actually is a situation where neither person deserves to be kicked out. I can see problems coming up here and there, but it's a lot better than the alternative where the whole thing gets dragged out.

[18:12] [Ranger Alliance]: (webdragoon1337) knew there was another cool guy in here

[URPG Chat]

Trophies

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro View Post

The answer is easy, though. Just enforce a time limit (one-two weeks) for each round with it maybe shortening here and there as the pool gets smaller and smaller through rounds, and enforce it for real. If people are going to sign up for it, they should be committed to it. If the battle can't be finished, kick out whoever deserves to be kicked out, or roll for somebody to advance if there actually is a situation where neither person deserves to be kicked out. I can see problems coming up here and there, but it's a lot better than the alternative where the whole thing gets dragged out.
    I don't have a problem with doing that, except I can see myself kicking out entire final rounds. But yeah, I won't have a problem enforcing it/rejecting complaints.

Blog Entries

I don't have a problem with doing that, except I can see myself kicking out entire final rounds. But yeah, I won't have a problem enforcing it/rejecting complaints.
    Well, ideally, whoever makes it to the last few rounds are people that are committed to actually battling, so you have to hope that's the way it plays out.

[URPG Chat]

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I'll happily admit I probably spent more time with Keldeo than I should of, and perhaps it was a bit unfair that people like me and MG were outclassed by several other battlers but still finished well and won prizes. I, like Nitro, also hope that we see some form of bracket-based tournament in the near future, and stay the most used format. Maybe if we used brackets which we can see from the start rather than rolling for them at the end of each round then the people who have match-ups and have progressed could battle without waiting on the others. Would save a bit of time.

I'm cool with enforcing a stricter time limit, two weeks is more than enough time.

I also suggest using some form of tournament making software, so that we don't end up having to do the three-way round robins that we do in every tournament. I seem to remember Marth doing one a few years ago where, although it meant half of the first round had byes, it very quickly formatted itself into a 32>16>8>4>2>1 clean bracket. I'll try and find the link.

EDIT: http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99424

Also voting that we do another Dream Tournament :>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails imagemly.png  

Creator of Nathan Castle BlazeMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd say FFA or tag battle, with random pairings.
    SLCalamity likes this.
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f425/hunger-games-pok%C3%A9mon-136008/

Hunger Games RPG

21 Places Left.

Officials needed

Trophies

I'll most likely do a mixture of both bracketed and activity-based tournaments, or run them both at once. That way people can do their match-ups, but there will still be something running often to encourage them to keep battling and earn other rewards.

@SLCalamity; That Tournament Maker software is over 6 years old and wont even run on my computer. I found another newer tournament making program, but that was $300. Luckily I found a lovely little Russian website which gave me a $300 discount, so I'll see what I can do.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast