Tournament Ideas

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Tournament Ideas

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Default Tournament Ideas

Credit to Alaskapigeon

LS mentioned the idea of a double elimination tournament in the chat thread earlier. We've been talking and he thinks there might be a possibility of it happening.

In case you don't know how double elimination works, everyone starts in the winner's bracket (configured like a normal tournament). However, if you lose your match, you are moved down to the losers bracket to face the other losers of the round. The losers play each other; winners advance to the next part of the losers bracket to face the next round's losers, while those who lose a second time are eliminated.

At the end, there is a winner's final and loser's final part of the bracket. After that round is decided, the winner of the winner's bracket and the winner of the loser's bracket play in the final round. If the winners' finalist wins, the tournament is over. If the losers' finalist wins, then the winners' finalist gets one more chance to win. Afterwards, the victor wins the tournament.

Now a common concern a lot of people have with double elim tourneys is how much time it takes. LS and I talked solutions and we think this would help solve the problem. Have the losers play immediately when their matchups are known rather than waiting for the next round to be announced. This would require a more frequent update of the bracket and for it to be visible at all times. However, I think this solution is attainable.

Here is a sample of a double elimination bracket: http://www.printyourbrackets.com/pdfbrackets/12teamdouble.pdf

If this was done, would you be willing to enter? Give us some feedback.

Note: Credit goes to LS for the idea
    Last edited by Monbrey; 26th August 2012 at 02:45 AM.
    LS- and Captain Dude like this.
    URPG Member, Approver, Senior Referee, Grader, Ranger and Judge

Logs
    Referee, Grader, Judge, Ranger
    AIM: WebDragoon1337

pikachu in a highchair We Taste Pies...'s Avatar

Default Re: Double Elimination Tournament

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Another idea was proposed now. TED has suggested that a legends only tournament be considered alongside this one.

Here's how it would work. Legends would be grouped into 2-3 tiers and then each competitor would have a choice of which legend they want in proportion to the tier (ex: 2 from the good tier; 4 from the not so good tier). Tournament then plays just like any other.

I personally like this idea because it would force combatants to experiment with things they've never worked with before. Any feedback on this is appreciated as well.

Note: Credit goes to TED for the idea.

Logs

Quote Originally Posted by WebMaster View Post
    Another idea was proposed now. TED has suggested that a legends only tournament be considered alongside this one.

Here's how it would work. Legends would be grouped into 2-3 tiers and then each competitor would have a choice of which legend they want in proportion to the tier (ex: 2 from the good tier; 4 from the not so good tier). Tournament then plays just like any other.

I personally like this idea because it would force combatants to experiment with things they've never worked with before. Any feedback on this is appreciated as well.

Legends are pretty messy business and most competitors would probably pick the same legends, more or less.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by We Taste Pies... View Post

Legends are pretty messy business and most competitors would probably pick the same legends, more or less.
    Picking the same legends could be a problem although I thought TED's tiering idea would curb that a little.

Logs

Quote Originally Posted by We Taste Pies... View Post

Picking the same legends could be a problem although I thought TED's tiering idea would curb that a little.
    I doubt adding tiers would have enough of a significant impact to make this Tournament interesting.

EDIT: ^ me officially rejecting the Legends Tournament, not just constructive criticism.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Two new tournament ideas

Well, it was worth a shot. Double elimination tourney still up for feedback then.

Logs

Creator of Nathan Castle BlazeMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What about my idea of taking your opponents mon when you win (only for the duration of the tournament) and the owners of the mons getting money when they win a battle?

P.S. I like the idea of double elimination and I'm in as long as you need 4 or less mons
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f425/hunger-games-pok%C3%A9mon-136008/

Hunger Games RPG

21 Places Left.

Officials needed

Blog Entries

Visit KidBeano's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by BlazeMaster View Post
    What about my idea of taking your opponents mon when you win (only for the duration of the tournament) and the owners of the mons getting money when they win a battle?

P.S. I like the idea of double elimination and I'm in as long as you need 4 or less mons
    We sort of had a tournament like that recently (Battle Factory tournament). Your idea is quite different, however, in the fact that you don't need to swap, but rather you just take one of their mons and add it to your team. However, would these be rented Pokemon, or the user's own Pokemon? I think it'd be interesting to have it as the User's own Pokemon, and just get everyone to create a stats post in a thread with the stats of the Pokemon they're using (so they're not linking to multiple stats pages by the end of it.) However, winners of individual battles shouldn't get money. That should be saved for the end.

Also, most tournaments end up with 3v3 or 4v4 for the preliminary rounds, then 5v5 in the Quarter-/Semi-finals and 6v6 for the Final. Having 4v4 for the Final isn't a huge challenge.

---

I like having a double-elimination, but maybe instead of just the loser's bracket being able to be played whenever, just have the entire tournament able to be played whenever. Yes, it would require close monitoring, but having something that was updated after every battle (similar to the Game Board score table, except laid out as an actual Tournament Bracket) would eliminate anything that was unclear. Make the refs have to explicitly mention which Round and which Bracket the battle is for to speed things up and to make things easier.

Also, it would require that the tournament doesn't end Round Robin. Most tourneys in URPG are kinda notorious for that, so we'd have to go the Marth route and give byes in Round One. People would just need to grin and bear it, and accept that that's the best option.
    MORE CAPS

~The Artist Formerly Known As PichuBoy~

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PichuBoy View Post

We sort of had a tournament like that recently (Battle Factory tournament). Your idea is quite different, however, in the fact that you don't need to swap, but rather you just take one of their mons and add it to your team. However, would these be rented Pokemon, or the user's own Pokemon? I think it'd be interesting to have it as the User's own Pokemon, and just get everyone to create a stats post in a thread with the stats of the Pokemon they're using (so they're not linking to multiple stats pages by the end of it.) However, winners of individual battles shouldn't get money. That should be saved for the end.

Also, most tournaments end up with 3v3 or 4v4 for the preliminary rounds, then 5v5 in the Quarter-/Semi-finals and 6v6 for the Final. Having 4v4 for the Final isn't a huge challenge.
    I forget what the objection was to his (or if there was any at all xD). I like this though.

Quote Originally Posted by PichuBoy
    I like having a double-elimination, but maybe instead of just the loser's bracket being able to be played whenever, just have the entire tournament able to be played whenever. Yes, it would require close monitoring, but having something that was updated after every battle (similar to the Game Board score table, except laid out as an actual Tournament Bracket) would eliminate anything that was unclear. Make the refs have to explicitly mention which Round and which Bracket the battle is for to speed things up and to make things easier.

Also, it would require that the tournament doesn't end Round Robin. Most tourneys in URPG are kinda notorious for that, so we'd have to go the Marth route and give byes in Round One. People would just need to grin and bear it, and accept that that's the best option.
    Like with Game Board and Duel Peninsula, I don't think monitoring it would be a problem. I like this as well. The only thing is we'd have to have the bracket visible at all times. I wonder if it would let someone make a google doc into a bracket.

Logs

Blog Entries

Visit KidBeano's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by PichuBoy View Post

I forget what the objection was to his (or if there was any at all xD). I like this though.

Quote Originally Posted by PichuBoy

Like with Game Board and Duel Peninsula, I don't think monitoring it would be a problem. I like this as well. The only thing is we'd have to have the bracket visible at all times. I wonder if it would let someone make a google doc into a bracket.
    You can use Google Docs Spreadsheet to throw together a handy little tourney bracket, like this one:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aiig73_6b_tJdEIyWUtIMHBoX3lzWjZQV0Rua0E3OHc

(Yes, I have too much time on my hands).

This does, however, show that sometimes with Double Elimination brackets, you can't avoid giving people byes in the elimination bracket, even if you make it so the winner's bracket works out perfectly. However, these byes, combined with the addition of people who lost their battle, make everything all right in the end.

It also gives us a clear 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. And, it lets Player E, who is really a very good battler, but just had an off day when he faced Player F initially, show his true colours, and come back to win the entire tourney.

It also stops randomising of lineups every new round. The lineups are set from the beginning, even who would get the bye(s) in the loser's bracket mid-way through. I know that seems unfair, but if we're going to whine, any byes that are given are unfair. It's just the luck of the draw. Maybe to sort of make it fairer, anyone who had already received a bye can't receive another one (unless it's unavoidable). So, Player C would've gotten the bye in Round 4 instead of Player L.

If this went ahead, I wouldn't mind making and maintaining the brackets.
    MORE CAPS

~The Artist Formerly Known As PichuBoy~

Trophies

What happened to that thread for Tournament Ideas? why don't we just have that permanently kept open so whenever an idea props up it can be posted and discussed there instead of in the general URPG thread or a new thread in trainers court.

Then when it comes time for a new tournament, the officials can just pick one from the thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes. View Post
    What happened to that thread for Tournament Ideas? why don't we just have that permanently kept open so whenever an idea props up it can be posted and discussed there instead of in the general URPG thread or a new thread in trainers court.

Then when it comes time for a new tournament, the officials can just pick one from the thread
    Done

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Tournament Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by SLC04 View Post
    Right, I had a pretty cool idea for a tournament later in the year which could be pretty interesting. It takes a few aspects of the team tourneys but hopefully the battles would be easier to arrange. Inactivity would be a larger issue, however, than it is in the other tournaments nowadays. But we can skip that hurdle as we come to it.

This will start in September, roughly around the same time as the NFL season. Why this you ask? Because that is what the tournament is themed around and how the mechanics work will be similar. So anyway, everyone is given a team (could be a real NFL team or a made up one, eg. Lavaridge Heatwaves or something, idk) and placed into their respective divisions. Each contestant would battle someone different each week, respective to their irl opponent (lets say in the NFL next season, the Ravens open to the Bengals. Both players representing these teams would battle) and then the stats would be put into the tables. At the end of the 17 weeks of regular season, the playoffs commence, with the match-ups being done by the rankings in each individual division, like it is in the real NFL. Soon after, we should have a 'Super Bowl' match up where the winner is declared.

It was just a quick thought I have, and I know it may sound quite confusing to those who don't follow the NFL but it would be pretty fun to compete in. Obvious problems are to do with inactivity (we could have players sub in, not sure) and the timespan this will take place in. Maybe it could be hosted like the Game Board when its finished? No clue. But yeah, just pitching this idea out there, and if people like it I might send it to an official to get it sorted out and actually become a thing. Well, so long as I can participate xD

EDIT: tl;dr -

WinterVines 9:10 pm
    so a structured ladder
    THIS

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tournament Ideas

I like the idea of double elimination. It always sucks when you have an off day and make a bad call that costs you the battle, or you get uber-haxed or something.

===

So I have a tourney idea here. Basically it would be a Type tourney; all Pokemon who have one Type would be given another of the person's choice, and those with two types could have one of them changed to another of the person's choice. So someone could have an Electric/Flying Electrode or a Dragon/Ice Dragonite.

As for moves, I was thinking either Pokemon get no moves they normally couldn't learn of the Type they take, or could get one move they normally couldn't learn of the Type they take. For example, if someone has a a Psychic/Dragon Garchomp, then maybe Garchomp could be allowed to take Zen Headbutt as a move for the duration of the tourney. It could be noted in peoples' SUs which move they're taking, like Hidden Power is chosen and kept track of.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast