Suggestion Type Trainer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion Type Trainer

Default Suggestion Type Trainer

I was just thinking the other day whilst i was playing pokemon white.

What if we had type trainers like they have in the gyms. let me explain more. In every gym there are trainers with 1 or 2 pokemon of the same type as the gym. I suggest that the LO or Gym leader, with LO permison should get to choose a person in the URPG to be a gym trainer.

Each gym trainer would be allowed to sue 1 pokemon of the gyms type thaat they own. An example of this would be,

Me, I could be chosen by Fawkes to be his gym trainer, I would have to battle every person that wants to challenge his gym before they can fight him. It would be a simple 1 v 1 or 2 v 2 battle.

The Advantages of this would be, It helps people to test their strategy they want to use on the gym leader on a trainer using the same type as that gym leader. It also helps the gym trainer as they then can get practice using the individual type, and give them a bit of experience incase they eventually want to be a gym leader.

The battle would obviously have to pay, as it is a battle. I was suggesting that it would pay 250 for a loss and 500 for a win if it was a 1 v 1 and can only be battled the once unless you lose. This way it wouldn't be exploited. If it was a 2 v 2 then I would just suggest the whole 500 for a loss and 1000 for a win.

Well thats my idea, I hope that you like it or atleast consider it before blowing the idea out of the window.
    Last edited by eternus_situs; 22nd April 2011 at 04:20 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Suggestion Type Trainer

It's a good idea imo, but with pay as 1,000/500, and don't make this mandatory-- merely an option because the Gym trainer might not be on when the challenger wants to challenge the Gym.

Still, it could work I guess.

Blog Entries

Visit KidBeano's Youtube Channel

I think this has been suggested before on Pe2k. I can't remember why it was shot down, though.

And really, if it is implemented, it should be mandatory, because otherwise it just becomes redundant, as most people won't bother challenging the Gym Trainer.

Although, thing is, with Gyms without many decent mons of that type (Ice, Dark (if it ever gets implemented), Steel, to name a few), it just ends up that the Gym Trainer and Gym Leader have near identical Pokemon, and just becomes pointless. You also have the problem of an experienced URPGer taking the Trainer spot because the Leader is taken, and then it becoming neigh on impossible to get to the Leader.

I think the idea is good in theory, but probably wouldn't work out so well in practice.
    MORE CAPS

~The Artist Formerly Known As PichuBoy~

Blog Entries

As a leader I don't want to see it...

if it was up to the leaders whether we had such a trainer, then yeah, sure.
    URPG Snowbelle Leader
    Looking for: Rotom
    UFT: Depends what you're offering

Blog Entries

It could just be practice though. If it wasn't mandatory to challenge, I'd love it.

Credit to HikaruIzumi for the awesome avatar!

Stumped Turtwig A's Avatar Bulbapedia Junior Administrator
    Blog Entries

I like the idea, but what Pichu Boy said is true. If a Trainer is more experienced then the leader, then no one would ever be able to challenge the Leader. I think though, that if a Trainer is better than the leader, they could be able to challenge the Leader for their position, making the former leader the gym trainer.

(20:56:57) Luxis: All y'all are a bunch of Silly heads.
    RIP Giruja. Why must you have been fake?

(17:58:01) daytwon: why am i watchin ot turtwig
    (17:58:03) ±Dratini: daytwon was muted by Heather Star for 30 minutes! [Reason: inappropriate] [Channel: Trivia]

[15:26] Synthesis: he ain't godkilled
    [15:27] Ebail: Zam was Syn
    [15:27] Synthesis: it was an agreed sacrifice to the gods

Too cool for real life. HikaruIzumi's Avatar

I think this is a really good idea because it would give other people opportunity to get more experience with a gym type if they want to be a gym leader in the future. Also, I think that challenging the gym trainer should be mandatory, otherwise there's no point in them. But having a gym trainer doen't have to be mandatory, so the gym leaders could choose them. imo this would be a nice addition to the URPG since in games most (if not all) gym leaders have at least 1 gym trainer. And it would make gym leaders more difficult to battle, what I find a good thing because the badges would have more value. Maybe it could be 1v1-3v3 (including doubles) battle, depending on the gym trainer. And they also can have lower number of mons (5-8) than the gym leaders. That way we could avoid the problem of them having the same line up.

I don't see a problem with the gym trainer not being on. The battle is short and it can be done even on forum (giving the challenger perma pseudo-badge, what will let them challenge the gym leader). After all, when the challenger wants to challenge a gym and the leader isn't on, it's completely the same problem. The pay may not be high but it won't be a difficult battle. The less mons the more luck based the battle is and the gym trainer won't have as much space for complicated strategy and switching as the gym leader.

But I think it's true that vets would try to get these positions and won't lose to anyone. However, if the gym trainer was decided by the gym leader (and can't be another gym leader or gym trainer), there would be less chances of this happening. Maybe it would be good if the gym trainer had to battle the gym leader for the badge, if the trainer beat 10 different (so that they won't become a gym leader after beating one newb 10 times) challengers in a row without losing (maybe it could be allowed to lose once or twice, so that it wouldn't be abused, in case the people beat the gym leader, it won't count). Then they would switch their roles. That way we can be sure that all gym trainers are weaker than gym leaders.

Also, if the gym trainer looses 10 times in a row to different challengers, the gym leader will have to change the gym trainer (unless more than half of them beat the gym leader as well). So that the gym leaders won't make their friends gym trainers just because they are their friends. Maybe the gym trainers could post in the Want a Gym thread, and when a gym leader will like their app, he/she will accept them to the gym.

Examples:
    A challenger wants to beat a gym. First they have to face the gym trainer. Gym trainer wins and then the challenger battles them 9 more times. Only 1 win counts to the 10 wins. If 9 different people come to face the gym, and they lose, then the gym trainer has 10 wins and the gym leader has to battle him/her for the badge. If the gym trainer wins, they switch the roles ad the new gym trainer will be the past gym leader.

If the gym trainer is actually really weak and was chosen for this role because of good relationship with the gym leader, he/she will be losing often. After 10 losses in a row to different challengers, the gym leader will have to fire him/her and hire a new gym trainer, different from the last one. Unless gym leader looses half or more of the battles as well.

This would require for the gym to hold more detailed record, stating what challengers beat the gym leader and gym trainer and also the order of wins and losses and to who it was. This could, of course, reset after a loss/win (for example, if the gym trainer has 7 losses and then wins 2 times, it resets) so that they don't have to state 100 past challengers.

Maybe the gym trainer should have more options, like in the games where they have lots of WCs. I kind of like the idea, but maybe you should make it, like, to challenge a gym you have to beat the gym trainer to challenge the leader, but you only have to beat them once and then you can challenge the leader whenever. That way they don't both have to be online at once.
    I speak four languages, help me practice please
    Hablas conmigo en español, por favor
    Vous parlez avec moi en français, s'il vous plaît
    我正在学中文

Some say I'm part opossum Opossumguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My say probably means next to nothing, but I do like this idea. It gives more options for trainers, especially those who aren't experienced enough to be a Gym Leader. Just to make sure, since some gyms in the games have, like, 10 gym trainers, how many would a URPG gym be allowed to have?
    I love opossums. They shall rule the world. Oh, and I should be more active now.

If all else fails, we should at least test this. It hasn't been tested, just speculated and "assumptions" as to what may happen rather than what WILL happen. Example, I'd love to take Maverick in my gym as a trainer. This is also a nice alternative because some gyms have high demand, so with gym trainers, they don't have to fight the leader to be in the gym. If this does work out, leaders should be able to choose their trainers and test them out themselves before being added. Of course the LO will need to approve and stuff, too. I suggest having the LO watch the battle.

So yeah, don't shoot this down if it hasn't been implemented or tested beforehand.

EDIT: I forgot URPG isn't that big.
    Last edited by Fierce Deity; 23rd April 2011 at 12:46 PM.

"lets get chesnaughty" Nitro 12:52 am
    nuts in my mouf

Hannah Warder 7:50 pm
    fd is a beautiful chocolate man

Quote Originally Posted by Opossumguy View Post
    My say probably means next to nothing, but I do like this idea. It gives more options for trainers, especially those who aren't experienced enough to be a Gym Leader. Just to make sure, since some gyms in the games have, like, 10 gym trainers, how many would a URPG gym be allowed to have?
    I think each gym should get one trainer. That way they could take in either newbies who need experience or people who are unable to get a gym for whatever reason. :b Anymore than one each, it would start to get ridiculous, as there's already 50 gyms, not including the Orange Islands.

Oh, also, TED has something to say about this:

theevildookie 10:27 am
    "Hahahahahahah no. Like others said, if one gym has them, all of them need to. Just do the simple math to figure out how many trainers you would need to hire to fit each gym. 5 regions + Orange Islands. (8 * 5) + 4. And that's assuming each gym only has 1 trainer and thats it. Thats 44 trainers. Good luck on finding 44 people to become a trainer at a gym that they don't even lead with no benefits at all except a potential battle every now and then. If we tripled our population in the URPG then this becomes a potential addition, but right now, it would just end up being a pain for both the LOs and the Gym leaders to make sure it's all organized AND that everyone's ACTIVE as well."

I do kind of agree with that as that's just waaaay too many people. Maybe we should do something else like have a league for people who are classified as'newbies' by how long they'been active or a Battle Frontier or something?
    Last edited by Alaskapigeon; 23rd April 2011 at 12:31 PM.
    I speak four languages, help me practice please
    Hablas conmigo en español, por favor
    Vous parlez avec moi en français, s'il vous plaît
    我正在学中文

We don't even have all the gyms filled up all the time, why do we need to add in more trainers?

pikachu in a highchair We Taste Pies...'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Jr. Trainer View Post
    We don't even have all the gyms filled up all the time, why do we need to add in more trainers?
    Cuz people butthurt about not getting a gym

Blog Entries

Visit KidBeano's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Turtwig A View Post
    I think though, that if a Trainer is better than the leader, they could be able to challenge the Leader for their position, making the former leader the gym trainer.
    Already allowed to. Anyone who has a genuine reason to challenge the gym for leadership (e.g. 'They're W/L/D record sucks, both in-gym and out, and mine is really decent, so I think I could be better) can do so, provided it's approved by the LO.

Quote Originally Posted by HikaruIzumi View Post
    I think this is a really good idea because it would give other people opportunity to get more experience with a gym type if they want to be a gym leader in the future. Also, I think that challenging the gym trainer should be mandatory, otherwise there's no point in them. But having a gym trainer doen't have to be mandatory, so the gym leaders could choose them. imo this would be a nice addition to the URPG since in games most (if not all) gym leaders have at least 1 gym trainer. And it would make gym leaders more difficult to battle, what I find a good thing because the badges would have more value. Maybe it could be 1v1-3v3 (including doubles) battle, depending on the gym trainer. And they also can have lower number of mons (5-8) than the gym leaders. That way we could avoid the problem of them having the same line up.

I don't see a problem with the gym trainer not being on. The battle is short and it can be done even on forum (giving the challenger perma pseudo-badge, what will let them challenge the gym leader). After all, when the challenger wants to challenge a gym and the leader isn't on, it's completely the same problem. The pay may not be high but it won't be a difficult battle. The less mons the more luck based the battle is and the gym trainer won't have as much space for complicated strategy and switching as the gym leader.

But I think it's true that vets would try to get these positions and won't lose to anyone. However, if the gym trainer was decided by the gym leader (and can't be another gym leader or gym trainer), there would be less chances of this happening. Maybe it would be good if the gym trainer had to battle the gym leader for the badge, if the trainer beat 10 different (so that they won't become a gym leader after beating one newb 10 times) challengers in a row without losing (maybe it could be allowed to lose once or twice, so that it wouldn't be abused, in case the people beat the gym leader, it won't count). Then they would switch their roles. That way we can be sure that all gym trainers are weaker than gym leaders.

Also, if the gym trainer looses 10 times in a row to different challengers, the gym leader will have to change the gym trainer (unless more than half of them beat the gym leader as well). So that the gym leaders won't make their friends gym trainers just because they are their friends. Maybe the gym trainers could post in the Want a Gym thread, and when a gym leader will like their app, he/she will accept them to the gym.

Examples:
    A challenger wants to beat a gym. First they have to face the gym trainer. Gym trainer wins and then the challenger battles them 9 more times. Only 1 win counts to the 10 wins. If 9 different people come to face the gym, and they lose, then the gym trainer has 10 wins and the gym leader has to battle him/her for the badge. If the gym trainer wins, they switch the roles ad the new gym trainer will be the past gym leader.

If the gym trainer is actually really weak and was chosen for this role because of good relationship with the gym leader, he/she will be losing often. After 10 losses in a row to different challengers, the gym leader will have to fire him/her and hire a new gym trainer, different from the last one. Unless gym leader looses half or more of the battles as well.

This would require for the gym to hold more detailed record, stating what challengers beat the gym leader and gym trainer and also the order of wins and losses and to who it was. This could, of course, reset after a loss/win (for example, if the gym trainer has 7 losses and then wins 2 times, it resets) so that they don't have to state 100 past challengers.
    The very length of this shows how much of a pain it would be to implement. There's so many ifs and buts, that it just becomes a huge mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapigeon View Post
    Maybe we should do something else like have a league for people who are classified as'newbies' by how long they'been active or a Battle Frontier or something?
    I thought that's what the Dojos were for?
    MORE CAPS

~The Artist Formerly Known As PichuBoy~

well then why dont they re enstate the dojos, if thats what they were for?

Adds another set of gyms/dojos which you need because theres what 8 gyms a region theres 5 regions so forty gyms in total plus the islands about 52 in total. theres more then 52 people in the urpg. maybe adding in the dojos again could be a good idea. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast