Like Tree4Likes

Thread: RPG Battles: A good idea?

Trophies

Default Re: RPG Battles: A good idea?

pp -4

Trophies
    Blog Entries

I feel like RPG battles could be explosive and unsafe.

Trophies

Quote Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
    I feel like RPG battles could be explosive and unsafe.
    we could strap pillows to our chests
    Nitro likes this.

Just Battle Like Dabeatmaster.
    WinterVines likes this.

Lord of Chaos

Okay, so maybe I'm walking in late here. But I've come up with two ideas.

One, for battles, give each move a specific MCR. If the MCR is met or exceeded, the move hits at full power. Clever strategies can be executed, and it's up to the ref to determine if they work, same as in the Park. After all, the Rangers calculate % damage for attacks in the Park; why don't we just use the same formula for battles?

Two, if simple battles won't work-try Contests. Contests in the anime are built around showing off moves in epic ways-cloaked in a halo of Fire Spin, creating an orbiting solar system with rocks and Confusion, etc.-so this is PERFECT for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus_II View Post

One, for battles, give each move a specific MCR. If the MCR is met or exceeded, the move hits at full power. Clever strategies can be executed, and it's up to the ref to determine if they work, same as in the Park. After all, the Rangers calculate % damage for attacks in the Park; why don't we just use the same formula for battles?

Two, if simple battles won't work-try Contests. Contests in the anime are built around showing off moves in epic ways-cloaked in a halo of Fire Spin, creating an orbiting solar system with rocks and Confusion, etc.-so this is PERFECT for that.
    There is no formula for damage in the Park--it's entirely up to the Ranger's judgement according to quality and the moves they use in retaliation, etc. If refs did it the same way, it would be way too easy to just spam MCR until you get to full power. That's what happens in the Park. There's also the issue of bias--at least in the Park is purely for roleplaying purpose and not something like a battle that goes against your record or is the deciding factor of a badge and whatnot.

There is no rule saying that you can't RP in normal battles anyway. In fact, forum battles are perfect for this format and I've done a few like this on occasion. It's entirely up to the user, and I think it works great that way, since people don't have to, but they can if they choose.
    ChainReaction 6:09 pm
    I quickly slammed the palm of my hand onto a butt
    Ranger | Grader | Ref | Curator
    AIM: WinterVines
    URPG Stats

Lord of Chaos

Quote Originally Posted by WinterVines View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus_II View Post

There is no formula for damage in the Park--it's entirely up to the Ranger's judgement according to quality and the moves they use in retaliation, etc. If refs did it the same way, it would be way too easy to just spam MCR until you get to full power. That's what happens in the Park. There's also the issue of bias--at least in the Park is purely for roleplaying purpose and not something like a battle that goes against your record or is the deciding factor of a badge and whatnot.

There is no rule saying that you can't RP in normal battles anyway. In fact, forum battles are perfect for this format and I've done a few like this on occasion. It's entirely up to the user, and I think it works great that way, since people don't have to, but they can if they choose.
    Oh, okay. I just wanted to be able to have a Pokemon start playing "Can't Touch This," spam Double Team, and run circles around the opponent.

Maybe just make the rangers be rp refs also and just do what they do in the park. Maybe each person may command what to do like "Gardevoir, use psychich to send the boulders on the top of the cliff on the opponent." and then the rangers could decide if it hits and how much it does. They would just pretend that whoever last said a command is the trainer and the other trainers pokemon is a wild one. It shOuldnt be too hard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12