RPG Battles: A good idea?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: RPG Battles: A good idea?

Blog Entries

Default RPG Battles: A good idea?

I was talking to Harry to see if this would be a cool idea, and apparently URPG used to do this a looooooong time ago. So, would you guys think of it. It's like ASB battling, except with the URPG rules on moves and would go faster because of AIM. I think it gives a nice alternative to anyone who doesn't like normal battling, and would be a battle of creativity and words, as opposed to just fancy competitive battling strategies. Also, more money.

So, what do you guys think, and how could we set it up?

Also, my puppet on a game I play is named Commander Bada--

*gets shot for almost using profanity on a kids forum*

No relation to Commba, btw.
    Last edited by Crossover; 31st October 2012 at 09:22 AM.

Blog Entries

Visit KidBeano's Youtube Channel

Default Re: RPG Battles: A good idea?

The thing we had last time with Anime battles (as they were known then) was that no-one knew how to properly do them. Someone tried to ref an Anime battle once, but literally all they did was ref the battle normally and add description. Not really ASB, tbh.

If there could be a clear way of reffing them, then it could work, but since it'd be devising a whole new system, it'd probably take some time before we saw them again.
    MORE CAPS

~The Artist Formerly Known As PichuBoy~

Trophies

Quote Originally Posted by KidBeano View Post
    The thing we had last time with Anime battles (as they were known then) was that no-one knew how to properly do them. Someone tried to ref an Anime battle once, but literally all they did was ref the battle normally and add description. Not really ASB, tbh.

If there could be a clear way of reffing them, then it could work, but since it'd be devising a whole new system, it'd probably take some time before we saw them again.
    This is pretty much why this battle style can't be used competitively. The true RPG rule system is designed to be judged much more than reffed so to speak. Much like the battles against wild Pokemon in the park, how well your Pokemon performs in an ASB should be based on your level of description. It's not a math-based battle, and thus the outcome is completely inaccurate from a competitive sense.

Blog Entries

I think that, if we judged it like in the park and had people that are both Ranger/Ref do them *coughmecough* they could be competitive. In that case, it would judge MCR, quality and basically everything like the park. I'd be willing to ref those.

Credit to HikaruIzumi for the awesome avatar!

LS-

I like to think of Anime battles as more of a "you can do anything with your pokemon"

Maybe have like a time limit where people can continuously to send moves until after the time is up, the refs begin to ref.

You can "dodge" or do any of those things which can be determined by a dice roll.

"Machamp, MEGA PUNCH"

"PIKACHU DODGE WITH QUICK ATTACK"

"MACHAMP <DO THIS>"

PIKACHU <DO THIS TOO>

but maybe thats just unorganized and silly.

If you are hankering for a battle like this, go to the National Park. We Rangers do battles like those everyday.
    League of Legends SN: ATF Crysis

Blog Entries

A Pokemon battle in the Main RP? Sounds good. Who's up for it?

Credit to HikaruIzumi for the awesome avatar!

LS-

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanTreeFrog View Post
    If you are hankering for a battle like this, go to the National Park. We Rangers do battles like those everyday.

Nah G

The difference is that this all will happen in real time rather than making a big elaborate post where you need detail and then must wait for a ranger to post and that can take days.

Just simple straight to the point commands between 2 people and a ref.

Husnain vs Miloticmaster - Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000
    Closest one I could find in terms of being recent and mine. Yea, normal calc + description makes it an awful time-consuming exercise.

Near a tree by a river, there's a hole in the ground.
    Where an old man of Aran goes around and around

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DU.ke View Post

Closest one I could find in terms of being recent and mine. Yea, normal calc + description makes it an awful time-consuming exercise.
    Wasn't the one I was thinking of, but that one's laid out exactly the same way as the one I remember. If there were actual guidelines to the style, it could work, but just as a "Use this to Anime-style battle", it kinda sucks.
    MORE CAPS

pikachu in a highchair We Taste Pies...'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DU.ke View Post

Wasn't the one I was thinking of, but that one's laid out exactly the same way as the one I remember. If there were actual guidelines to the style, it could work, but just as a "Use this to Anime-style battle", it kinda sucks.
    You mean like this? ._.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by We Taste Pies... View Post
    You mean like this? ._.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossover View Post
    It's like ASB battling, except with the URPG rules on moves and would go faster because of AIM.
    I was one of the first to join when PE2K got their own ASB section, I'm fully aware of what it is. Maybe instead of making a post which comes across as if it's purely there to spite me, you could make suggestions on how it could work within URPG, which is what the OP was suggesting?
    MORE CAPS

You mean like this? ._.
    It's like ASB battling, except with the URPG rules on moves and would go faster because of AIM.
    I was one of the first to join when PE2K got their own ASB section, I'm fully aware of what it is. Maybe instead of making a post which comes across as if it's purely there to spite me, you could make suggestions on how it could work within URPG, which is what the OP was suggesting?
    I think I can both state my opinion on the matter, that being, I believe this was removed from URPG for a reason and has found its place in another location, as well as spite you in one post ^_^

Blog Entries

You mean like this? ._.
    I think I can both state my opinion on the matter, that being, I believe this was removed from URPG for a reason and has found its place in another location, as well as spite you in one post ^_^
    So you semi-agree with me, yet still feel the need to spite me?

You're confusing.
    MORE CAPS

You mean like this? ._.
    So you semi-agree with me, yet still feel the need to spite me?

You're confusing.
    I don't need a reason to spite you, do I? =D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast