Natures

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Natures

Blog Entries

Default Natures

Natures have been an important part of Pokemon for three generations now. However, URPG has not implemeneted natures outside of the Park, where they have minimal impact.

Obviously, natures leave a sizable footprint in battle. The transition from Generation II to Generation III should've made that very clear, and even if you weren't around for that, it's not too hard to imagine. Natures can play to each individual Pokemon's strengths, and it juices much more strategy out of battle.

The idea of implementing natures into URPG is very interesting. As I've already said, natures have been in Pokemon for a while. However, as far as I know (I can't see the mod boards), there has been no talk about bringing them to URPG. By now, shouldn't we at least give it a thought?

A lot of the same benefits natures introduced to battling in "normal" Pokemon games exist if natures were introduced to URPG. A new dimension would be added to battling, and it also helps distinguish Pokemon from others of their species in more ways than just nickname, gender, and the picture you have for them in your stats. It also makes having more than one of those Pokemon something to consider, which surely can't be a bad thing.

Here's a rough idea I have of what Natures may work in URPG. They'll be like gender in that a Pokemon can only have one, the Trainer gets to pick, and it is not changeable. For the sake of battling, maybe we could have someone implement a Natures list into the ref calc like what we have for Items or Abiltities. Then, when the Nature of a Pokemon is selected, then it will influence the stats accordingly.

If we do introduce natures (and I know it's still waaay too early to even think about that, but I think that this issue may be brought up in discussion otherwise), there may be some outcry from those who have already given their Pokemon natures for the purpose of the Park. If we decide to make the change, maybe it'd be fair for people with Pokemon that already have Natures that they may not want them to have in battle to change their Natures.

On another Park-related note that I can foresee as an issue, I say that maybe we should allow Trainers to decide their Pokemon's Natures like they do with Gender rather than letting the Rangers decide. I'm sure the Park mods won't have much of an issue with that, since, as I've said, it makes minimal impact in the Park as it is.

Well, that's all I have to see for now. This idea is just an idea, and even I'm not fully on board with it quite yet. However, I think a discussion would be interesting, so I'd like to see what everyone else thinks and how far this idea can progress. So..yeah

I GOT MONEY IN MY BANK ACCOUNT, FUCK A BANK ACCOUNT - SOULJA BOY

[18:11] [Ranger Alliance]: (webdragoon1337) nitro, you in here?
    [18:11] Nitro: hello
    [18:12] [Ranger Alliance]: (webdragoon1337) knew there was another cool guy in here

[URPG Chat]
    3:44:43 (silverxchrome) Nitro is attractive. Source: I'm a girl.

Trophies

Default Re: Natures

STOP CHANGING THINGS PEOPLE.

But seriously, thats not going to be fun to add to the calc, though I think I should be able to write a formula that makes the modification to the original stat based on the input

So, would they be fixed? Variable? Would it have to match the Park nature?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Monbrey View Post
    STOP CHANGING THINGS PEOPLE.

But seriously, thats not going to be fun to add to the calc, though I think I should be able to write a formula that makes the modification to the original stat based on the input

So, would they be fixed? Variable? Would it have to match the Park nature?
    I personally like fixed more, tho you could make an argument for variable and either way it'll work fine. Preferably have to match Park nature since it's kind of weird to have a Pokemon w/ two natures but that's not really a huge deal.

I GOT MONEY IN MY BANK ACCOUNT, FUCK A BANK ACCOUNT - SOULJA BOY

[18:11] [Ranger Alliance]: (webdragoon1337) nitro, you in here?
    [18:11] Nitro: hello
    [18:12] [Ranger Alliance]: (webdragoon1337) knew there was another cool guy in here

[URPG Chat]
    3:44:43 (silverxchrome) Nitro is attractive. Source: I'm a girl.

Follow CommBA On Twitter Add CommBA on Facebook

I think it's a pretty cool idea. Adds a bit more of strategy without really drastically changing things. Just makes some Pokemon suddenly a tad bit faster or a tad bit stronger

Blog Entries

No, I know jack about natures and don't want to learn
    URPG Snowbelle Leader
    Looking for: Rotom
    UFT: Depends what you're offering

Blog Entries

All natures add 10% to a stat and take away 10% from another stat, except for the neutral ones that add nothing and take away nothing. I like the idea to a certain extent, but it seems like a lot of work even though it would make battles more intense. Most smarter people will just run neutral natures because even if your Gengar now is faster or has a stronger Shadow Ball, it dies more easily or loses the ability to be able to KO Scizor or Ferrothorn with Fire Punch, or to Sucker Punch that Alakazam, etc.

Too complicated. If you want natures play the games, URPG =/= the games. Like I said in the generation clauses thread, we have everything we need as far as battles go, let's leave it ^^.

Blog Entries

Visit KidBeano's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
    A new dimension would be added to battling, and it also helps distinguish Pokemon from others of their species in more ways than just nickname, gender, and the picture you have for them in your stats. It also makes having more than one of those Pokemon something to consider, which surely can't be a bad thing.
    As far as I know, most Pokemon have one nature that suits them, maybe two if they're versatile. It's not like you'd have 26 (or however many natures there are) different types of Blaziken running around - you'd have one or two, possibly three at a stretch. I can safely say one nature would dominate the other(s) in popularity.

Also, because Natures would have two completely different uses (Battling and the Park), it could completely screw up one or the other - what if you give your Alakazam a Timid nature because that's its best battling one, but then that stops it from using its best moves well in the park? (idk if it does, but you get the idea).

Parks got Natures first - finders keepers, methinks.
    WinterVines likes this.
    MORE CAPS

~The Artist Formerly Known As PichuBoy~

I dunno, if we did this it wouldn't be a huge deal but I sort of like keeping the URPG simple. We keep a nice balance between what's "canon" in the games and what isn't. Tbh, I think that we do a good job of getting rid of the stuff that isn't fun... Like grinding for EVs and calculating natures into your battling plans. But if you can think of a way to implement it so that everything would be simple, that's fine.
    I speak four languages, help me practice please
    Hablas conmigo en español, por favor
    Vous parlez avec moi en français, s'il vous plaît
    我正在学中文

Angry about Outer Heavens ChainReaction01's Avatar

Firstly, if this is implemented, I don't think the Trainers should get to pick the Nature of the mons they encounter. The Nature of a Pokemon determines how it acts and how the Trainer needs to respond, aka, the roleplaying. Allowing the Trainers to choose Natures gives them far too much control over the roleplay.

Next, the Park Nature definitely needs to be the same as battle nature. There shouldn't even be discussion regarding that. Unfortunately, I also think that Natures shouldn't be fixed regarding Battles, because the URPG seems (to me anyway) to emphasise fluidity with Pokemon, as opposed to Natures and EVs to make a Pokemon excel in one regard at the expense of others. So, that's an inherent problem. I suppose static Natures would work, but eh, not really a fan.

Personally, I'm not really a fan of this idea. I can see how it adds more tactical depth to the game, but I think it's just too much of a rewrite to be truly successful. And, like Pichu Boy said, the Park got to Natures first, so any system involving them needs to fit around the Park first and foremost. Also, like Alaska said, part of the URPG I love is how the Pokemon are "perfect" the second you obtain them. If you really want to spec Pokemon in different ways, that's what PO is for. Maybe there could be a PO tournament in URPG or something.
    URPG Stats
    SCROLL OF CHAINS
    Ranger Chapter | Referee Chapter | Grader Chapter | Judge Chapter
    ~No one understands how important sex is better than someone who isn't having any.~

"ALLAREFRED" WinterVines 7:15 pm
    nightgowns aren't for sleeping silly

Blog Entries

Hang on a second, I don't agree to this at all. I just now realised how much I don't like it xD

Trophies

It's hard enough getting a pokemon with a good Hidden Power, But trying to get one with good HP and Nature....

Angry about Outer Heavens ChainReaction01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes. View Post
    It's hard enough getting a pokemon with a good Hidden Power, But trying to get one with good HP and Nature....
    I believe the system Nitro is proposing has you choosing your own Nature, just like Gender when you buy from the Mart / earn one in a Story / catch one in the Park. The only difference is you wouldn't be able to choose if you went via the Park.
    URPG Stats
    SCROLL OF CHAINS
    Ranger Chapter | Referee Chapter | Grader Chapter | Judge Chapter
    ~No one understands how important sex is better than someone who isn't having any.~

"ALLAREFRED" WinterVines 7:15 pm
    nightgowns aren't for sleeping silly

Trophies

MK makes a really good point - everyone is going to be picking the same or one of two natures for every Pokemon. It's not a hugely tactical decision. +Sp.A on your Alakazam and +Att on Blaziken? How very insightful.

TED wants to say something:

Teddy Bear 6:34 pm
    I don’t think you’re able to comprehend the level of magnitude of confusion this would have on everything. For starters, it opens up the possibility of cheating. Even though it may be minimal, comparable to that of Hidden Power rolling, it’s still another rule addition that would have to be monitored. Speaking of Hidden Power, if this were to be implemented, to be consistent with what we already have in the URPG, natures would have to be randomized. We don’t get to choose Hidden Power types because in the games, the IVs are random values that determine the type. The same goes for natures except that they’re just random. No one will want to have a Gengar with a nature that lowers SpAtk.

Now don’t get me wrong here, I’m not trying to say you shouldn’t have suggested this. I’m sure everyone is thankful for ideas that are brought up, but this is one that I believe most people do not wish to adopt.
    I speak four languages, help me practice please
    Hablas conmigo en español, por favor
    Vous parlez avec moi en français, s'il vous plaît
    我正在学中文

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast