National Park Catching Contest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: National Park Catching Contest

Well, I can tell you somewhere that I'm not

Default National Park Catching Contest

So, oncethe National Park is up and running, I was wondering if we could do this idea I had:

The Rangers pick an area in the park (to be cycled through as the next Catching Contest comes) and people sign up for it. When it starts, it works exactly like a normal catching contest except for there are infinite (hyper?)balls. A ranger will lead a trainer and one Pokemon through the area while they catch up a storm. Every 15 rolls, the ranger will roll 15 more and continue, until either the time limit of a week is up, or the trainer's pokemon faints. Healing items are banned. When a week is up, a panel of judges, will judge on a few things:
    1. The pokemon that the trainer captured. [Out of 50 pts]
    2. The quality of the entries (which by the way must be 1k min.) [Out of 100 pts]
    3. The Trainers ability to avoid destroying any part of the property, whether it be merely a bush that accidentally got a bit singed, to a hole in the side of Mt. Deckbi. [50 pts]

The winner will choose one of the pokemon that they captured and keep it as well as earn a prize of either X Pokebucks, or something else.

What do you think?

Default Re: National Park Catching Contest

Quote Originally Posted by Tyranitex View Post
    So, oncethe National Park is up and running, I was wondering if we could do this idea I had:

The Rangers pick an area in the park (to be cycled through as the next Catching Contest comes) and people sign up for it. When it starts, it works exactly like a normal catching contest except for there are infinite (hyper?)balls. A ranger will lead a trainer and one Pokemon through the area while they catch up a storm. Every 15 rolls, the ranger will roll 15 more and continue, until either the time limit of a week is up, or the trainer's pokemon faints. Healing items are banned. When a week is up, a panel of judges, will judge on a few things:
    1. The pokemon that the trainer captured. [Out of 50 pts]
    2. The quality of the entries (which by the way must be 1k min.) [Out of 100 pts]
    3. The Trainers ability to avoid destroying any part of the property, whether it be merely a bush that accidentally got a bit singed, to a hole in the side of Mt. Deckbi. [50 pts]

The winner will choose one of the pokemon that they captured and keep it as well as earn a prize of either X Pokebucks, or something else.

What do you think?
    This, if it happens at all, will have to be an event since I highly doubt they want this happening every week. Maybe once a month? Also an entrance fee would be good with this. The Hyper/Super/Parkballs I think should be bought, if not, at least make it like 5k for a basket that contains 5 Hyperballs I don't know, just throwing that out there because infinite won't go well here. Banning healing items seems reasonable. Having just one Pokemon could work, maybe make the limit two though. Fifteen rolls is already a lot, adding fifteen more will close the park down again xD, besides, I highly doubt they'll get through all fifteen rolls in a week. I do like the points system though. I just sped through this so I'll post more later.
    Even in death, there is no command but MINE!™°|
    White FC: 0776 8732 5101
    3DS FC: 4914 3333 8109 IGN: Jerome

@ Bumblebee:

I was actually thinking annually. Every week is waaaay to much, but I would think that if this happened, it would be like once every 3-4 months. During the conests the park would close so as no to stress the rangers by having to juggle the contest and RPs. The 5k price for 5 hyper balls is steep. My idea for this is maybe they would get like package deals for free upon registering and then have to buy the rest. Like 3 park balls and 1 each of super and hyper, or 2 Hyper Balls and a super, for example. The reason I say after 15 rolls they roll 15 more is just as a fail-safe for if they get through all 15. They then play as far as they can get into the supplementary 15 until they die, week's up, or (if were gonna lose the infinite supply of balls thing) run out of balls.

Angry about Outer Heavens ChainReaction01's Avatar

First of all, I like the idea in general. That said:

I think you should have to pay entry, like say 3-5k, and you get a bundle, which includes (say) 2 Super Balls, 2 Hyper Balls, and a PokeDoll. No other items can be used in the challenge.

I would definitely limit it to one Pokemon, as the challenge should be how well you utilise your chosen Pokemon as opposed to what you can catch (someone with top-notch skills could get screwed over by bad rolls).

Speaking of rolls, I would say limit each "Challenge Run" to 3 encounters, just so this doesn't take forever.

Second to last (that I can think of right now) is that this should DEFINITELY wait until there are many more Rangers, fifteen AT LEAST.

Lastly, maybe make it so the person doesn't keep the Pokemon they catch, but I'm not so keen on this. Reward wise, I think the reward should be the Pokemon + 5k or so to spend in the Park Shop.
    URPG Stats
    SCROLL OF CHAINS
    Ranger Chapter | Referee Chapter | Grader Chapter | Judge Chapter
    ~No one understands how important sex is better than someone who isn't having any.~

"ALLAREFRED" WinterVines 7:15 pm
    nightgowns aren't for sleeping silly

Quote Originally Posted by ChainReaction01 View Post
    First of all, I like the idea in general. That said:

I think you should have to pay entry, like say 3-5k, and you get a bundle, which includes (say) 2 Super Balls, 2 Hyper Balls, and a PokeDoll. No other items can be used in the challenge.

I would definitely limit it to one Pokemon, as the challenge should be how well you utilise your chosen Pokemon as opposed to what you can catch (someone with top-notch skills could get screwed over by bad rolls).

Speaking of rolls, I would say limit each "Challenge Run" to 3 encounters, just so this doesn't take forever.

Second to last (that I can think of right now) is that this should DEFINITELY wait until there are many more Rangers, fifteen AT LEAST.

Lastly, maybe make it so the person doesn't keep the Pokemon they catch, but I'm not so keen on this. Reward wise, I think the reward should be the Pokemon + 5k or so to spend in the Park Shop.
    I think there should be a 10k entry charge: You'd get a pass in, four park balls, three super balls, and two hyper balls and one Pokemon from whatever you catch. But that's me overpricing things xD

I still think two Pokemon entered would be good, but one is fine.

The encounters should be 3-10. Anywhere in that range seems reasonable.

I agree with you there, we would need more rangers for this to work well/ for people to get in.

I think if this does get approved, that they should be able to get to keep 1 Pokemon from whatever they catch, otherwise it would be pointless in my opinion.

I like the 10k entry fee with a package, but in that case, we'd need to give at least a 5k monetary prize for the 2-5th placers.

One Poke is good. I like that you would have to bring in a diverse poke both movewise and statwise.

5 rolls. Reroll after that if needed. You guys are right, 15 is overkill.

We would need more rangers, definitely, but we'd limit contestants to 20 or 30 so that Rangers would juggle only 2 and max 3 contestants.

We would have a monetary prize (10-15k) for the winner and for 2nd and 3rd place, they would get a 5k pass at the park shop.

I also wanted to add that we should ban common or common and uncommon pokes for this. It would create further challenge and stop ppl from being screwed point-wise by crappy rolls.

Blog Entries

This is a pretty nice idea ^^.

-5 Encounter rolls to begin with sounds reasonable. If someone gets through all of them then the Ranger could roll another 5.

-All Ranks will be included because there are people who may not have the ability to catch something of the Intermediate Rank or higher, and it wouldn't be fair to them to have to try and catch something like that. However, in order to keep people from getting crappy rolls, we can say a Ranger can do rerolls if a Trainer gets, say, three or more Common Mon or something like that.

-Entry fee would be at 5k, plus a Basket of Balls; 3 Park, 2 Super, and 1 Hyper. The extra Ball gives a Trainer a little leeway in case a capture doesn't go over well the first time. If a person gets through all five Encounters, they'd be given a chance to buy another Basket for, say, 3.5k or something. No other Items and one Mon per Trainer also makes it more of a challenge, which it's supposed to be, so that's fine too.

-I don't know if we should limit how many people can take part, but shutting down the Park in general would probably be a good idea so Rangers don't get overworked. They would, however, have to continue any current RPs they might already have going before they take on people entering the event.

-I'd say this would be a once a year thing, twice a year at the most.

-Prizes: Letting someone keep one Pokemon they catch plus maybe some money or Park Credits sounds fine.

-I think using the point system is fine in determining if a person wins, but I have a question. For the part where you say what Pokemon was captured, do you mean all of them or the one the Trainer wants to keep? Also, there's a chance we might need to include one or two other areas Rangers should look at to determine who wins.

Yeah. The point system was kinda an add on to the system. It would have to be refined. Byt the Pokemon that the trainer catches, I meant ALL of the Pokemon that it catches. So if a trainer rolls a weedle, a sandshrew, and a Leafeon, they'll have a descision tomake about whether skipping up the first two to see whether the 3rd is worth it. In that case it would be, but in others it might not.

The reason I said limit the contestants is because we have to have a 1 ranger per trainer, but not 1 trainer per ranger. It would be difficult if each ranger had 4 RPs going on at once (no matter how awesome YOU are with juggling RPs DoH, I at least am intimidated by that idea).

I agree now with you about all ranks being included because my chance thing that I said ^ there wouldn't work without crappy Pokes.

I was originally thinking annually too, but now I'm thinking whenever we think we can/feel like it. If the rangers that we have (which must be at least 15) feel up to a Catching contest, we'll announce it and then do it. But at least annually seems good.

Angry about Outer Heavens ChainReaction01's Avatar

Just a couple things:

First, I'd limit each Trainer to only one run-through/Ball Basket. That way conserving Balls and using them wisely would be part of the challenge.

Secondly, I'd make the Trainer just choose ONE Pokemon to be graded, so it is similar to the Bug Catching Contest in the games.

Although, then you'd have to design some kind of difference system, so maybe just choose 2 Pokemon to get graded or something.
    URPG Stats
    SCROLL OF CHAINS
    Ranger Chapter | Referee Chapter | Grader Chapter | Judge Chapter
    ~No one understands how important sex is better than someone who isn't having any.~

"ALLAREFRED" WinterVines 7:15 pm
    nightgowns aren't for sleeping silly

The reason I don't want to do only one Poke for grading is because then we'd have to put a ranking system on the Pokemon avaliable for capture.

I want to leave it up to the judges what group of Pokemon is, over all, better than the other.

Blog Entries

It'd be URPG's equivalent to the bug catching contest!

But yeah, keep this an annual/several month thing!

Blog Entries

Hmmm Bug Catching Contest... I'm gonna assume the Woods will be crowded. =P

If this goes through, should the MCR remain the same? Or will it increase/decrease because of the time?

Blog Entries

I think it sound remain the same tbh. A decreas is a deffinite no, as there would be all sorts of things like Porygon and Rotom popping up all at once in people's stats. If there is to be an increase I think that Common and Uncommon shouldn't receive it. Seriously, there are some people who struggle to writ e te 4k as it is for Common mons. I font see too much of a problem in increasing Intermediate and up by say 5k each. It would add a challenge to getting those difficult mons.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthesis View Post
    I think it sound remain the same tbh. A decreas is a deffinite no, as there would be all sorts of things like Porygon and Rotom popping up all at once in people's stats. If there is to be an increase I think that Common and Uncommon shouldn't receive it. Seriously, there are some people who struggle to writ e te 4k as it is for Common mons. I font see too much of a problem in increasing Intermediate and up by say 5k each. It would add a challenge to getting those difficult mons.

Not necessarily. All captured Pokemon will have to be judged. So even if a lot of people do get Porygon and Rotom, they will still have to be judged and chances are that none of them will get one. So a decrease doesn't really mean there will be a lot of hard to get Mons being given out.

Also, I think part of the judging process should be on how creative they were in catching said Pokemon and the amount of effort they put into it, not so much the MCR, though if they try, the MCR won't really matter because they'll have it xD.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast