More Clauses/Rules - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: More Clauses/Rules

Blog Entries

Default Re: More Clauses/Rules

Eh, I don't really like these rules but I don't really care about them so it's cool. Time clause is stupid and you all know it.

pikachu in a highchair We Taste Pies...'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Synthєsis View Post
    Eh, I don't really like these rules but I don't really care about them so it's cool. Time clause is stupid and you all know it.
    /Very slow battler

Trophies
    Blog Entries

About Time Clause, how exactly would you do it? It was said if you disconnect, it doesn't count, but can't that easily be done to avoid it and make it an ineffective rule? Also, what if you are Encored into a move, like Flamethrower, and you have a Pokemon with Flash Fire out? What if the person did not send in time (on purpose or not), and you don't get the Flash Fire boost, because Time Clause skips their move? Does it advance the Encore counter? What about Confusion, and other things that last a duration? Similar scenarios can occur with Choice items, Taunt, and other things that restrict your move choice. What if you want your Pokemon to be KOd on a certain turn so you can send in a different Pokemon before Toxic KO's them because that Pokemon is really easy to set up on? The point is, there are scenarios that can occur where not moving can somehow give you an advantage, which I don't think is good because choosing to 'do nothing' on a turn is not a selectable option in Pokemon.

Instead of skipping a turn, you could say the person loses the battle altogether if they don't move in time. You could also ask the person that does not violate Time Clause if they want to give the opponent extra time to move.

All in all, I think it might get too hairy to handle with.

Blog Entries

Too much variables and the fact that some people actually like taking the time to run calcs and gaurantee that things will work out well for them makes me no likey.

To be honest I think it would be better if just the ref contacted the battler that isn't responding after say 5mins of activity and if there is no response just save the stats to forum, and proceed with the battle at a later date. I hardly think there is need for a time clause. But to be honest this was pretty much the main debate in the Time Clause thread.

As before I still say introduce the clauses as there is no particular reason such that they shouldn't be. I mean if people want use them then they are there, but if people have an issue with them ... don't use them. With regards to gym challenge, everyone knows the leader makes the rules so if you want the badge you have to win on those rules.

Blog Entries

Visit KidBeano's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
    You could also ask the person that does not violate Time Clause if they want to give the opponent extra time to move.
    Hence, making the Time Clause redundant.

I'm in agreement with Synthesis - I like to make sure everything is going to work exactly how I planned it to, and like taking a bit of time to double-check my calcs. If the other person doesn't like it, they can just forfeit for all I care.

And I suppose you could implement the new clauses, although for clauses to be in effect for normal battles, both challengers have to agree to them, which means I doubt we'd be seeing them very often.
    MORE CAPS

~The Artist Formerly Known As PichuBoy~

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by -Pichu Boy- View Post
    I'm in agreement with Synthesis - I like to make sure everything is going to work exactly how I planned it to, and like taking a bit of time to double-check my calcs. If the other person doesn't like it, they can just forfeit for all I care.
    That's not a good argument at all.

Blog Entries

That's not a good argument at all.
    Then counter it. No point just putting down an argument without giving anything against it.
    MORE CAPS

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by -Pichu Boy- View Post
    Hence, making the Time Clause redundant.

And I suppose you could implement the new clauses, although for clauses to be in effect for normal battles, both challengers have to agree to them, which means I doubt we'd be seeing them very often.
    5 minutes still allows you to adequately calculate moves. Furthermore, just because you like it and the other person doesn't does not really mean anything. My Togekiss manages to put all of your Pokemon to sleep with Yawn. Don't like it? You can just forfeit.

That being said, I'm still against time clause, just not for that reason.

Blog Entries

My Togekiss manages to put all of your Pokemon to sleep with Yawn. Don't like it? You can just forfeit.
    It's called ragequitting, and I've seen it done so many times before. But (imo, anyway) sleep is more annoying than waiting for a move. Sleep can change the outcome of a battle very easily, for someone who isn't prepared. But someone can't use time to change the tide of a battle. Which is why (still, imo) sleep merits a clause, whereas time doesn't.

We're both fighting for the same thing anyway, so this seems kinda stupid :3
    MORE CAPS

I propose Santa Clause.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Jr. Trainer View Post
    I propose Santa Clause.
    What does it do?

The Hero You Never Needed Neonsands's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What does it do?
    Presents everywhere O.O

Trophies
    Blog Entries

I'll be adding Species Clause and Item Clause sometime today. I will not be adding a time rule because nobody attempted to propose any solutions to the possible problems I posted here.

Master of Hats and Ponies Lord Fedora's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So just chiming in here, Species and Item clause are long overdue, and Time clause, we've discussed and had brought up and suggested so many times and we've never solved the myriad of problems and variables that surround it, nor have we ever seen a majority of people supporting it (to my knowledge, anyway). It is, frankly, not an idea that the people at large want, and it is not an idea that works. Until it can be made to work in a satisfactory way, I oppose it.

In addition, I would like to point out that URPG can be a lot like chess sometimes; a move made hastily and under pressure of time can fuck up an entire battle for a person. Time clause essentially proposes putting that time pressure on every turn. I do not approve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Boom View Post
    I've got 4 Smash Bros. tournaments I've gotta get to this summer, and I'll be damned if the apocalypse is going to stop me.
    Real life hit like a hurricane, hence the inactivity. Still dealing with it, but I'll be on more now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast