Google Documents
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Documents

Default Google Documents

I'd like for us to start moving some of our threads to Google Documents. Specifically the ones that we updates on an active basis.

Since the URPG exists on three branches (Pe2K, BMG, and TPW), it has become more difficult to keep the threads on all three forums synchronized. As such, there are minor differences that have arisen.

I think the easiest solution would be to simply take these specific threads and put them on a single page that can be referenced and updated once. That will save time for the URPG leaders and prevent confusion when threads present conflicting information because they haven't been updated.

If possible, I'd like us to put together a list of threads here that should be transferred and move this plan forward.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Google Documents

Champion, Elite Four & Gym Leaders
    Story List
    Leaders' Division
    AIM
    National Park Sign-Up Archive
    Dead/Abandoned RPs
    URPG Dojo League
    URPG Rules (Staff List post)

I'm thinking those, and maybe the Grading Group and Reffing/Judging/Park Encyclopedia posts with the list of graders/refs/judges/rangers?

Perhaps Legend Defender and the list of who has what Legend and when Legends are free.

Blog Entries

Visit KidBeano's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Sormeki View Post
    Perhaps Legend Defender and the list of who has what Legend and when Legends are free.
    We can't really put the LD thread on Google Docs, because it requires people to post in it for logging and claiming legends. The list of who has what is the 'URPG Rules' thread (it'd probably be best if that entire thread was a document). The legend currently claimed by the LD is in the first post of the LD thread, anyway.

However, on the subject of Dead/Abandoned RPs (and possibly Story List), I think these would be better suited to be forum-specific. As in, only Dead/Abandoned RPs on Pe2k would be on the Pe2k thread, and only unclaimed stories on TPW would be on the TPW thread. I think only game-wide threads that can't really pinpoint to a specific forum would be best as documents.
    MORE CAPS

~The Artist Formerly Known As PichuBoy~

My thought on Legend Defender was more along the lines of why Gyms Leaders should be in a document, so instead of the thread needing to be updated three times when someone becomes LD it only has to be updated once in a document. You would still have the claiming threading and whatnot much like how you would still have an application thread for vacant Gyms.

Google Docs is ugly and messy and difficult to control authorization to. Can't we have some sort of global Pro/Zetaboards for everyone to view?

Quote Originally Posted by Monbrey View Post
    Google Docs is ugly and messy and difficult to control authorization to. Can't we have some sort of global Pro/Zetaboards for everyone to view?
    I vote Zetaboards. WTP already has one for the gyms/dojos, and we can use one forum for all the threads we need. It's also simple and most of us have experience with using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roulette View Post
    I vote Zetaboards. WTP already has one for the gyms/dojos, and we can use one forum for all the threads we need. It's also simple and most of us have experience with using it.
    Using a Zetaboards for that was also my idea when I first shot down his Google Docs suggestion. Man I'm good.

pikachu in a highchair We Taste Pies...'s Avatar

Using a Zetaboards for that was also my idea when I first shot down his Google Docs suggestion. Man I'm good.
    Yeah, this stuff happened.

Coming back to the whole, LD thing, keeping LD in a thread locked away like that would be difficult, but I think it is necessary that LD is kept track of in only 1 location. Its even more confusing than updating Gyms and such in multiple locations.

Quote Originally Posted by We Taste Pies... View Post

Coming back to the whole, LD thing, keeping LD in a thread locked away like that would be difficult, but I think it is necessary that LD is kept track of in only 1 location. Its even more confusing than updating Gyms and such in multiple locations.
    As much as I agree, I want to completely avoid making people post on any independent forum. We don't want to move any activity away from what we already have in place. I'd suggest linking people to the BMG LD thread.

As much as I agree, I want to completely avoid making people post on any independent forum. We don't want to move any activity away from what we already have in place. I'd suggest linking people to the BMG LD thread.
    I completely agree with that. Still, the current system isn't really working. Is it documented anywhere currently which Legendary the current LD has?

Blog Entries

I don't think it can be done, but what would be cool would be if we could somehow imbed the lists (from Google Docs or ZetaBoards) into the threads on the forums. That would be cool. I know its physically possible, but probably not practical.

Credit to HikaruIzumi for the awesome avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by GliscorMan View Post
    I don't think it can be done, but what would be cool would be if we could somehow imbed the lists (from Google Docs or ZetaBoards) into the threads on the forums. That would be cool. I know its physically possible, but probably not practical.
    Which lists? The Gym Leaders and Dojo threads are already on a central Zetaboard =P

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GliscorMan View Post
    Which lists? The Gym Leaders and Dojo threads are already on a central Zetaboard =P
    I don't think you understand. What I mean is that (if) we could imbed the list physically so you can read it on the forums and edit it on Google Docs/ZetaBoards and have the edits carry through to all three forums. I know its possible, but I don't think its available to us. And I'd suggest that for most of the position threads. It'd be easier to update things that way.

Credit to HikaruIzumi for the awesome avatar!

If I am not mistaken you can set a document up for public view while still only allowing certain people to edit it. We could then link to the document in the appropriate threads so we don't have to edit it in three locations. As long as the url for the document never changes you would never really have to touch the post it is in except to edit other things in the post that are unlikely to ever change. Like explanations and what not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast