Filling up Open Gyms (Substitute Gym Leaders) - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Filling up Open Gyms (Substitute Gym Leaders)

Trophies

Default Re: Filling up Open Gyms (Substitute Gym Leaders)

Quote Originally Posted by Sormeki View Post
    Just out of curiosity. Gym leaders are considered to have their own badge for the duration of their time as the leader. Would the same hold true of people substituting for a gym? Not that it would be an issue for the most part but it does leave the door open for someone to sub for a gym so they are considered to have that badge. If this badge is the only one they are missing from the set then they now can battle the Elite Four without actually having earned the badges. Granted, if people aren't allowed to sub in a Kanto gym if their primary gym is Kanto for example then it wouldn't be any different than it is now. However, were they to be allowed to own a gym in a Kanto, sticking with the example, and sub for a gym in Kanto then they need only earn six badges.

I think basically what I am trying to get across is I agree with Roulette that they should not have two gyms in one region while also asking if they would be treated as though they had the second gyms badge for the duration of their time there.
    I think I'll say no to that one. They're substituting in place of a real leader. If they want to earn the badge themselves, they should drop the second gym and challenge either a real leader or a different substitute.

If I am not mistaken the current open gyms are Petalburg, Nimbasa, Mistralton, Icirrus, and Trovita. I know Mistralton has at least one application in and I saw three applications for Trovita. Rustboro was just given back to Ayotui and, at the time of writing, just hasn't been added to the list yet. So, assuming one of the three applications for Trovita gets Trovita and Mistralton gets Mistralton, we only really have three open gyms. Normal, Electric, and Ice.

So if something were to happen like WTP substituting for Petalburg, Pichuboy or Pman substituting for Icirrus, and Captain Dude, FrozenChaos, or WebMaster subtituting for Nimbasa then all the gyms would be covered and by someone already using a gym of that type. I know WTP said he would be cutting back his activity so that one is probably unlikely. But the other two gyms should be able to find a substitute until someone comes along that wants one of those types.

To be honest, looking at this, I'm beginning to wonder if we really need the substitute gym leaders just to cover three gyms. One of which matches a dojo type that the dojo leader will likely want once the dojo league ends, dropping us to effectively one ice gym and one normal gym that have yet to be applied for. Of course there will be two more gyms added soon. Last I heard Virbank and Seigaiha gyms were going to be just tacked onto Unova league. I might be wrong on that. But if so that adds a new water and a new poison gym. Which will likely fill up fairly quickly.

So it almost seems to me someone should push how awesome normal and ice types are and we are good to go.

Trophies

If I am not mistaken the current open gyms are Petalburg, Nimbasa, Mistralton, Icirrus, and Trovita. I know Mistralton has at least one application in and I saw three applications for Trovita. Rustboro was just given back to Ayotui and, at the time of writing, just hasn't been added to the list yet. So, assuming one of the three applications for Trovita gets Trovita and Mistralton gets Mistralton, we only really have three open gyms. Normal, Electric, and Ice.

So if something were to happen like WTP substituting for Petalburg, Pichuboy or Pman substituting for Icirrus, and Captain Dude, FrozenChaos, or WebMaster subtituting for Nimbasa then all the gyms would be covered and by someone already using a gym of that type. I know WTP said he would be cutting back his activity so that one is probably unlikely. But the other two gyms should be able to find a substitute until someone comes along that wants one of those types.

To be honest, looking at this, I'm beginning to wonder if we really need the substitute gym leaders just to cover three gyms. One of which matches a dojo type that the dojo leader will likely want once the dojo league ends, dropping us to effectively one ice gym and one normal gym that have yet to be applied for. Of course there will be two more gyms added soon. Last I heard Virbank and Seigaiha gyms were going to be just tacked onto Unova league. I might be wrong on that. But if so that adds a new water and a new poison gym. Which will likely fill up fairly quickly.

So it almost seems to me someone should push how awesome normal and ice types are and we are good to go.
    That last line is pretty much what I said earlier. It's the responsibility of the individual LO's to try and keep their regions full by finding suitable trainers, not just managing applications. The substitute gym leader idea is a good one, but I do agree that it isn't required at the moment.
    Sormeki likes this.

Now wouldn't be a bad time to work out the details of how substitute gym leaders would work and just make it so the substitute gym leader rule is only in place when a certain number of gyms are open. For example, just to throw some numbers out there, ten gyms open with applications for less than half of them.

Which brings me to another idea. Recently there has been a lot of posts in the Apply for a Gym thread. When this is combined with all the activities people are doing both in and out of the URPG I am sure it can be difficult for some LOs to keep up with it all. I know that it is the LOs job to keep tabs on that, and also the applicant's job to ensure their application is seen. Perhaps to ease this and perhaps speed the process along a list of the LOs could be put in the first post of the application thread and encourage people to tag the LO of the region they are applying to in their application. This way LOs get a notification when they have an application to review and the applicants get the peace of mind of knowing that their application will be seen and not lost in the crowd.

Or perhaps, and this one might take a bit more effort but get the same result, someone that is around daily could take the responsibility of compiling and updating a list of unreviewed applications.

Trophies

Now wouldn't be a bad time to work out the details of how substitute gym leaders would work and just make it so the substitute gym leader rule is only in place when a certain number of gyms are open. For example, just to throw some numbers out there, ten gyms open with applications for less than half of them.

Which brings me to another idea. Recently there has been a lot of posts in the Apply for a Gym thread. When this is combined with all the activities people are doing both in and out of the URPG I am sure it can be difficult for some LOs to keep up with it all. I know that it is the LOs job to keep tabs on that, and also the applicant's job to ensure their application is seen. Perhaps to ease this and perhaps speed the process along a list of the LOs could be put in the first post of the application thread and encourage people to tag the LO of the region they are applying to in their application. This way LOs get a notification when they have an application to review and the applicants get the peace of mind of knowing that their application will be seen and not lost in the crowd.

Or perhaps, and this one might take a bit more effort but get the same result, someone that is around daily could take the responsibility of compiling and updating a list of unreviewed applications.
    Tagging LO's is a simple enough system, good idea. We actually already have a compiled list of unreviewed applications. It's more commonly known as the "Apply for a Gym" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Monbrey View Post
    That last line is pretty much what I said earlier. It's the responsibility of the individual LO's to try and keep their regions full by finding suitable trainers, not just managing applications. The substitute gym leader idea is a good one, but I do agree that it isn't required at the moment.

This is just my personal opinion as I'm one of those URPG members who has actually made it my goal to get all the badges: as long as there's so much as a single gym open that has been there for 2 weeks or more, Substitute Gym Leaders are needed. Again, personal opinion.

Trophies

Quote Originally Posted by Eraizaa-kun View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Monbrey View Post

This is just my personal opinion as I'm one of those URPG members who has actually made it my goal to get all the badges: as long as there's so much as a single gym open that has been there for 2 weeks or more, Substitute Gym Leaders are needed. Again, personal opinion.
    Nothing wrong with having that as a goal. But how long have you been URPGing? I seriously doubt any single gym has been open for that entire duration. Two weeks is a very small time period really.

Bitch be trippin' balls! PokeViper's Avatar

I personally would love an ice gym, but I have Saffron and I haz no ice mons. EVERYONE GIVE ME YO ICE!

Thanks EternusSitus
    click for my URPG

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123