Critical Hits Change discussion

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Critical Hits Change discussion

Blog Entries

Default Critical Hits Change discussion

Firstly, lemme point out where I'm aiming at.

The Announcement.

In a nutshell, high critical hit ratio moves have had their crit chance dropped from 25% to 12.5%, in a vote with senior referees. This thread is to discuss/cry about/raeg about/ponder the change.

My initial thoughts are that it severely hurts pokemon who rely on critical hits to deal damage because their offensive power is less than optimal, or their ability is based off scoring crits. Pokemon I am thinking of include the Murkrow and Skorupi families (the latter is not because I have one) whose offensive abilities rely on crit chances.

As far as critical hit moves are concerned, what I'd like to know is what the chance of a critical hit is for someone running Focus Energy and using a high CH ratio move, say Blaziken with Blaze Kick. Would it be the new 25%, or is it too being dropped (nerfed is a rough term to use) by a notable factor? I find it early days, but the idea of a d8 roll defining whether something lives or not is not completely enjoyable. 1 in 4 wasn't completely the same as 25 in 100, as 1 in 8 is similar but not completely equal to, say, 25 in 200.

This, of course, is the opinion of an idiot, and is open to certain degrees of interpretation.

Default Re: Critical Hits Change discussion

If it really mattered that much to be game-breaking, tell me why does the game use that rate?

Seriously, people these days. :|
    // urpg moderator // my urpg stats // the ultra dex //

Prince of All Blazikens! Magikchicken's Avatar

I'd just like to note that I agree with Trilobyte in this. While the nerf might be considered good for balance, Pokémon with critical hit moves almost invariably rely on them as their main attack, whose low power is offset by the (previously) 1/4 chance to do massive damage.
    Granted, lowering the crit-move critrate to 1/8 doesn't completely remove the usefulness of these moves, but it does hurt their usefulness significantly. I have not only my own Weavile and Gallade, but others such as Absol and Honchkrow that use Night Slash or other high-crit-rate moves as a primary attack, lacking more high-powered moves in return for crit chance.

All in all, maybe a nerf of a different sort is in order if balance is what you seek.
    My Stats Page

The Light Story
    The Shadowed Story

The Dark Story

A Glimpse of the Future

"Vegeta, what does the scouter say about his FFA winnings??"
    "They're OVER 9000!!!"

I'd like to applaud you for easing down from yesterday's hell-thread.

Anyway, Ataro, you should clarify Super Luck and Focus Energy since that's probably where most members are "confused" about. As far as I'm concerned, nothing else has changed other than CH and high-crit moves being 12.5% to be more like the games.

"lets get chesnaughty" Nitro 12:52 am
    nuts in my mouf

Hannah Warder 7:50 pm
    fd is a beautiful chocolate man

Blog Entries

The game uses that rate spontaneously and ignores it in the Battle Tower, where it applies to every single move the foe's pokemon use. Their HCH moves then become 25%.

I'm not complaining about it, it just seems that 1 in 8 seems harder to land on due to the much decreased limit. Hell, a 5 in 40 chance would seem a tiny bit fairer while still keeping the same relative ratio. It just makes things look a little bit less precise.

Crits will still happen, just not as often, and I'm not complaining about it. If you needed to make battles here closer to the games, then it'd be nice to have the rest of the moves with a chance of something happening be reduced to similar rates, like Flamethrower's burn chance being 1 in 10.

MFW ponies

Fishy Bubbles

pikachu in a highchair We Taste Pies...'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Deity View Post
    I'd like to applaud you for easing down from yesterday's hell-thread.

Anyway, Ataro, you should clarify Super Luck and Focus Energy since that's probably where most members are "confused" about. As far as I'm concerned, nothing else has changed other than CH and high-crit moves being 12.5% to be more like the games.
    So this means Super Luck only brings it up to 25% on an increased CH move now...? -.-

EDIT: Btw, Trilo, I congratulate you for having the chutzpah to not ask someone else to post this for you after yesterday... God knows I wouldn't...

Quote Originally Posted by We Taste Pies... View Post
    So this means Super Luck only brings it up to 25% on an increased CH move now...? -.-
    I didn't say I was the confused one, so I don't know why you're acting like I'm the one asking.

"lets get chesnaughty" Nitro 12:52 am
    nuts in my mouf

Hannah Warder 7:50 pm
    fd is a beautiful chocolate man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by We Taste Pies... View Post
    This was my thought exactly.

Still, if someone like Honchkrow was BPed a Focus Energy boost from something like Blaziken and used Night Slash, would said chance be 50% or 33%?

MFW ponies

Fishy Bubbles

Quote Originally Posted by Trilobyte View Post
    In, just not as often, and I'm not complaining about it. If you needed to make battles here closer to the games, then it'd be nice to have the rest of the moves with a chance of something happening be reduced to similar rates, like Flamethrower's burn chance being 1 in 10.
    Flamethrower's burn chance alreay is 1 in 10. :(

Please stop making threads so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Magikchicken View Post
    Granted, lowering the crit-move critrate to 1/8 doesn't completely remove the usefulness of these moves, but it does hurt their usefulness significantly. I have not only my own Weavile and Gallade, but others such as Absol and Honchkrow that use Night Slash or other high-crit-rate moves as a primary attack, lacking more high-powered moves in return for crit chance.
    I don't know about you but when I select attacks in a battle, I tend to calculate if it KOs or not and stuff like that, before sending out my move. That said, I wouldn't calculate Night Slash as a Critical Hit because the chances of the original 25% is already quite low. Meaning, if I'm basing my chances off a Critical Hit or not, it'd have to be a decision where if I didn't, I'd lose. idk if you get what i mean ^_^;

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Deity View Post
    That's in RefPedia iirc, updating atm.

@ Trilobyte: Flamethrower is 1 in 10 already, 10% is 1 in 10 iirc.
    // urpg moderator // my urpg stats // the ultra dex //

This was my thought exactly.

Still, if someone like Honchkrow was BPed a Focus Energy boost from something like Blaziken and used Night Slash, would said chance be 50% or 33%?
    I'm pretty sure it'd be 33%... thats where your handy-dandy scope lens helps ^_^

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ataro View Post
    @ Trilobyte: Flamethrower is 1 in 10 already, 10% is 1 in 10 iirc.
    I know that Flamer's 1 in 10, but most refs use a d100 and burn if a 10 or below is rolled. As it stands, this rolling d8 and critting on a 1 just seems a bit more precise. I know it's probably not, but it merely seems that way. I'll wait until the whole thing has been in place for a week or two before making my judgment on the affair.

To elaborate and to give our hippy mushroom fellow an idea of what I'm on about, I'm saying that if the CH ratio is now a definitive d8 roll with a 1 being a crit, then why not make the other attacks with X0% chances from d100 and X0 below acting to d10 and X and below being the activation?

MFW ponies

Fishy Bubbles

Trophies

I know that Flamer's 1 in 10, but most refs use a d100 and burn if a 10 or below is rolled. As it stands, this rolling d8 and critting on a 1 just seems a bit more precise. I know it's probably not, but it merely seems that way. I'll wait until the whole thing has been in place for a week or two before making my judgment on the affair.
    The reason it's an 8 sided die, is obviously because you can't roll a 12.5, with an 100 Sided Die. :/

Quote Originally Posted by ~Near View Post
    The reason it's an 8 sided die, is obviously because you can't roll a 12.5, with an 100 Sided Die. :/
    ^

Most people stick with the 100 sided die because they just copy the command and paste it when they need it.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast