Contest Thoughts - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Contest Thoughts

Default Re: Contest Thoughts

I like Junior's idea best. Give them a selection of 5 Pokeblock bundles that are tailored towards specific stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapigeon View Post
    I have at least one way to make activity in contests rise: Can we not have stats at all? Also I heard people talking earlier about doing a nervous clause so that people aren't like ATTRACT SPAM BOOM. Those, at least for me, are the main two turn offs. Also if there were judges consistently doing AIM contests I'd be in them. So, um.

>No stats
    >Nervous clause
    >More activity

As far as the starter goes, I don't think it's a good idea, because as everyone's already mentioned, people will just do whatever it takes to get it then never do contests again. It's not a matter of giving people a reason to do contests, its fixing stuff that makes us less likely to do them. I think, at least from watching people do battles, that simplicity is the key here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monbrey View Post
    I like Junior's idea best. Give them a selection of 5 Pokeblock bundles that are tailored towards specific stats.
    When was the last time either of you saw stats used in contests? If we remove them, what will happen to the people who actually bought stats?

Also I think I'll judge more :O

The only reason stats aren't used is because the No Stats clause or w/e was introduced. I have full stats on my Charizard, I used to use them all the time in RSE.

Either way, I'm against a contest-only Pokemon. Two Starter Pokemon is a pretty huge thing to introduce. As much as I want to foster contest activity, I think it's too drastic. Besides, what happens if someone makes a bad choice? It never wins any contests and is never "released".

EDIT: If everyone has stats, they will use them. The only reason they aren't used is because you're all broke peasants.
    Last edited by Monbrey; 21st March 2012 at 05:13 AM.

Blog Entries

I just never feel like bothering with figuring which Berries to get for really good Luster is why I don't bother with stats anymore. I know there are pre-blended Blocks but eh, they seem kinda lacking for the price. *Shrug.*

The only reason stats aren't used is because the No Stats clause or w/e was introduced. I have full stats on my Charizard, I used to use them all the time in RSE.

Either way, I'm against a contest-only Pokemon. Two Starter Pokemon is a pretty huge thing to introduce. As much as I want to foster contest activity, I think it's too drastic. Besides, what happens if someone makes a bad choice? It never wins any contests and is never "released".

EDIT: If everyone has stats, they will use them. The only reason they aren't used is because you're all broke peasants.
    But when anybody suggests we should be able to switch starters because they chose mart mons, the officials always say no :>

Quote Originally Posted by SLC04 View Post

But when anybody suggests we should be able to switch starters because they chose mart mons, the officials always say no :>
    Like my Sceptile! me being 12 and stuff I was all omg a starter? I guess Il take treecko.(Not knowing it can be any pokemon xd)

and weren't we talking about what keeps people off contests in the URPG chat a few days ago? Just apply clauses for those turn offs and give contests more flash and I'm sure it'll kick off!!

Blog Entries

You should have all been smart like me. I chose Chingling!

Angry about Outer Heavens ChainReaction01's Avatar

The reason I'm against stats is because it seems to me like a contradiction of the spirit of the URPG. One of the main reasons I like the URPG's mechanics is that every Pokemon is immediately "perfect", without any need for stuffing around with the EVs or IVs or anything. Needing to put stats on them for contests seems like a direct violation of that. I mean, I can understand it, but personally I don't really agree with it.

Not like it matters, because stats aren't going anywhere, but that's my two cents on them. I can also understand how giving out a second Starter could be a bit too much, but I don't see many other options to get people excited about Contests.

EXCEPT MAYBE RETURNING CC PAYMENTS IN R/S/E CONTESTS :DDDDD >hinting
    URPG Stats
    SCROLL OF CHAINS
    Ranger Chapter | Referee Chapter | Grader Chapter | Judge Chapter
    ~No one understands how important sex is better than someone who isn't having any.~

"ALLAREFRED" WinterVines 7:15 pm
    nightgowns aren't for sleeping silly

Stats for contests are no different to TM's for battles the way I see it.

Also I picked Charmander as my starter and never regretted it once. Picking a Mart isn't a dumb choice, you just missed the chance to get one single free Pokemon in your entire URPG career that isn't easy to obtain.

Angry about Outer Heavens ChainReaction01's Avatar

Stats for contests are no different to TM's for battles the way I see it.

Also I picked Charmander as my starter and never regretted it once. Picking a Mart isn't a dumb choice, you just missed the chance to get one single free Pokemon in your entire URPG career that isn't easy to obtain.
    TMs require skills to use. Just because someone has Protect and Sub and Thunderbolt and Ice Beam doesn't mean they're going to win - they need the knowledge and experience to know how to battle. Stats in contests are like herpaderp, you spent lots of money on us so you now get a big lead for no reason other than you spent lots of money earlier. Does that mean I can spend 100k to automatically faint the first two Pokemon in my next Gym Challenge?
    URPG Stats
    SCROLL OF CHAINS
    Ranger Chapter | Referee Chapter | Grader Chapter | Judge Chapter
    ~No one understands how important sex is better than someone who isn't having any.~

"ALLAREFRED" WinterVines 7:15 pm
    nightgowns aren't for sleeping silly

I'm with the group on not giving a starter because I'm not sure it would make that much a difference. In my view the problem with the contest section is that most have a preconceived notion from how the games operated, and only a few tend to try them out anyway. I try to personally send out invitations to try and get people interested in the first place. Instead of the Pokemon I think when someone signs up they automatically receive the 3k plus another 3k in CC, so we would just get rid of the thread already in the contest section.

I think everyone has had their input, except for Bee, so do you all mind if this thread gets closed? If you want to more discussion just say so and the thread can remain open. Otherwise I would like to start on the stuff brought up.

EDIT: Since people do seem to want them, I will be adding CC to RSE and DP, but they will not be as much as BW.
    League of Legends SN: ATF Crysis

This may be a completely redundant question but why do we have CC at all?

This may be a completely redundant question but why do we have CC at all?
    For Pokemon and I think for berries and scarves.

EDIT:

Nevermind, just Pokemon.
    I speak four languages, help me practice please
    Hablas conmigo en español, por favor
    Vous parlez avec moi en français, s'il vous plaît
    我正在学中文

Blog Entries

Visit KidBeano's Youtube Channel

I think you can make a start on the stuff brought up while keeping this thread open.

And Monbrey, just regarding "Stats for contests are equivalent to TMs for battles" - TMs are used in Contests as well, unless you're going to spam illegal moves for the five rounds.

None of the Judge tests I had contained stats - that's pretty much how lesser-used they are. If Pokeblocks were free (like how they are in the actual game, since Berries can be obtained and grown ad infinitum) then I think that'd encourage more people to use stats. Still have the berries priced for when they're being bought for battle purposes, but free for Pokeblock use (which must be stated and the Pokeblock mixed in the purchase post).
    MORE CAPS

~The Artist Formerly Known As PichuBoy~

Okay, finally got a chance to read through this. I think starter Pokemon in contest section might be good for the new trainers, but not if you're going to restrict them. Remember, this is mainly for the new people, which means they won't be able to 'unlock' the Pokemon for quite a while and if you put a restriction on it to where they can only use it until you get all the ribbons, then they can't use it anywhere else for a long time. I would say either you give it to them with no restrictions, or not at all.

As for the CC, don't do away with that. Yeah, there are people here who spent 30k multiple times to make sure they win. I did so several times and probably spent over 100k on them so, yeah, I wouldn't want that gone. I think stats make the game more interesting, especially when you're up against someone else that has them.
    Even in death, there is no command but MINE!™°|
    White FC: 0776 8732 5101
    3DS FC: 4914 3333 8109 IGN: Jerome

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345