Contest Thoughts - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Contest Thoughts

Angry about Outer Heavens ChainReaction01's Avatar

Default Re: Contest Thoughts

The stats suggestion is a good, Contest-centric one, but I think an actual Pokemon would be the most help to newbies, and by limiting it to Contests until they have all Division Ribbons they have a real incentive to do Contests, which helps out the board.

Still, WTP is right and we don't want to give out free Pokemon. I think if this gets implemented, it should not be redactive (i.e. current members can't claim one), and maybe the Pokemon's rank should be capped at like Medium or Hard. Also, what Siless said - definitely untradable.
    AmericanTreeFrog likes this.
    URPG Stats
    SCROLL OF CHAINS
    Ranger Chapter | Referee Chapter | Grader Chapter | Judge Chapter
    ~No one understands how important sex is better than someone who isn't having any.~

"ALLAREFRED" WinterVines 7:15 pm
    nightgowns aren't for sleeping silly

pikachu in a highchair We Taste Pies...'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChainReaction01 View Post
    The stats suggestion is a good, Contest-centric one, but I think an actual Pokemon would be the most help to newbies, and by limiting it to Contests until they have all Division Ribbons they have a real incentive to do Contests, which helps out the board.

Still, WTP is right and we don't want to give out free Pokemon. I think if this gets implemented, it should not be redactive (i.e. current members can't claim one), and maybe the Pokemon's rank should be capped at like Medium or Hard. Also, what Siless said - definitely untradable.
    Making pokemon untradable is icky.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Well, personally I'm not a huge fan of the idea unless there is some way that a) the power can be limited of the starter and/or b) there must a way that we can keep people who pick one up interested in contests. Limiting the tier/story rank is a must, otherwise we'll just have a bunch of Gengars and Excadrills running around. We should make these contest-only until a certain requirement is met - a certain number of division ribbons or contests. What worries me slightly is that this will have a poor long-term effect, as members who heavily dislike contests can just suck it up, get the Pokémon and never do them again.

But yeah, I can swing either way with this decision.

Can't we just give people who sign up originally extra Contest stats instead of a second Pokemon? Like Starter Request for the URPG.
    WinterVines 3:53 pm
    im sorry women are difficult
    i understand why some should stay in the kitchen

tbh I don't know when the last time I've seen contest stats used in a contest, so while the idea of just giving stats to something sounds good, I'm not sure how much it will actually help. As for an entirely new Pokémon, it should definitely be untradeable, like regular starters, it should definitely be at least as limited as normal starter if not more so, it should definitely have something like the "Contest only until all divisions beaten" limitation on it, and maybe come with player's choice of 255/255/255/255/0 stats? Seems like it could work though if done right.
    In a relationship with KnittyDragon, been together over a year <3
    URPG Senior Referee, Approver, Chief (BW) Judge, Elite Four Member, Fortree City Gym Leader, Celestic Town Division Head, Kumquat Island Gym Leader
    AIM MewAlcadiesMew; PWN/PXR Ash K.
    Stats
    Wishlist
    [18:13] alaskapigeon1: and you have OCD that rivals monk's
    "When you can have anything you want by uttering a few words, the goal matters not, only the journey to it." -Rhunön the Elf (Eldest: Inheritance Book 2)

Blog Entries

Visit KidBeano's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by ChainReaction01 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PichuBoy View Post
    I'm saying staff, because the newbies look up to you more than anyone else. They're more likely to follow the senior member's guidance than normal members. THAT's why I mentioned the staff. It wasn't "Staff suck, they need to do more contests because I said so", it was because you have seniority, and so you get looked up to.
    Not valid, barely any Staff go into the Park, aside from the Park-centric ones. If you want Contests to be more of a driving force in the URPG, then ask for more Contest-centric Officials.
    Erm, wasn't that pretty much what I just said? That we need more officials interested in Contests? Herp.

I don't think a Contest starter is necessary - it's not like it'll promote activity there if people aren't going there in the first place. Like, it's not going to help much putting a thread to increase traffic in a forum inside the forum you're trying to increase traffic to. S'pretty redundant. Action needs to be taken outside the forum, like the CC auto-given suggestion.
    MORE CAPS

~The Artist Formerly Known As PichuBoy~

Blog Entries

I pretty much agree with what most people are saying at this point -- Contest Starters would be a great help to new people, and a good way for them to get a Story 'mon. Especially if some restrictions are put on them, then I'd say that it'd be great to introduce them in. Plus, if we get a Contest-exclusive Starter, people are definitely going to value them more and use them more, and if they can only use their beloved Pokémon in a contest, then that's going to boost activity in contests, right? I think it's a genuinely good idea, provided that restrictions mentioned are placed.

Blog Entries

I think it's a terrible idea. Just give a person's starter additional stats, but an extra starter is so excessive, imo.

Yeah, I'm not sure if I'm on board for the starter thing. I'm all for free Pokemon, but like the others said, as a rule we don't generally give them away. I do like the limitation to maybe a Berry Store mon, or perhaps having that mon only usable in a contest until all Division Ribbons are obtained.
    ChainReaction 6:09 pm
    I quickly slammed the palm of my hand onto a butt
    Ranger | Grader | Ref | Curator
    AIM: WinterVines
    URPG Stats

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WinterVines View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure if I'm on board for the starter thing. I'm all for free Pokemon, but like the others said, as a rule we don't generally give them away. I do like the limitation to maybe a Berry Store mon, or perhaps having that mon only usable in a contest until all Division Ribbons are obtained.
    The point is that people will want to unlock their Pokémon for regular use, and start to do more contests. Maybe then they'll enjoy them and stay doing them.

Giving stats is a bad idea - every time I've judged and suggested to use stats the ideas been shot down, which is unfair for those who actually paid the ~$30000 to max them out.

No guys. No.

If you need to put restrictions on it it is not a good idea. Give the people who sign up for contests a bundle of berries or pokeblocks or just let them choose a stat to max (or something like that).

Blog Entries

I like the idea of a Starter Contest Mon, but making it something low tier and limiting it on top of that won't really interest many people. Who would wanna do Contests more because they can get a free Caterpie?

Why let let it be better Pokemon, but limit them to Contest use until x requirement is achieved? Like getting a Master Ribbon, or beating a Division Leader? Making it a good Mon might encourage people to do Contests more so it would be eligible for use outside of Contests faster.

Just a thought. And it's not like they're even getting it for free, either, if they have to accomplish a certain task to use it outside of Contests first.

pikachu in a highchair We Taste Pies...'s Avatar

Why are we even entertaining the idea of giving them a free mon just for going into the contest section? ._.

Trophies

cos everyone loves free bidoofs

I have at least one way to make activity in contests rise: Can we not have stats at all? Also I heard people talking earlier about doing a nervous clause so that people aren't like ATTRACT SPAM BOOM. Those, at least for me, are the main two turn offs. Also if there were judges consistently doing AIM contests I'd be in them. So, um.

>No stats
    >Nervous clause
    >More activity

As far as the starter goes, I don't think it's a good idea, because as everyone's already mentioned, people will just do whatever it takes to get it then never do contests again. It's not a matter of giving people a reason to do contests, its fixing stuff that makes us less likely to do them. I think, at least from watching people do battles, that simplicity is the key here.
    I speak four languages, help me practice please
    Hablas conmigo en español, por favor
    Vous parlez avec moi en français, s'il vous plaît
    我正在学中文

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast