Contest Thoughts

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 75
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Contest Thoughts

  1. #1
    I eat Frogs AmericanTreeFrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,403

    Default Contest Thoughts

    Alrighty, due to the recent issues with some complaining about matters that should allow member input I’ve decided to bring things in the Contest section that I’ve been working on to here, the trainer’s court. Before I delve into the issues keep in mind a few things. One, this is for discussion of the idea put forth, any flaming, baiting, and trolling will cause your posts to be deleted. I want this to be productive, not a bogged process. Second, any decision is ultimately up to myself and the staff, so when this is over don’t be complaining afterward. You’ll have the time to say your piece, say it and move on. Thirdly, if everyone starts to ignore the second rule this thread will be shut down.

    To start let’s recap on what has been done during the past few months (in case some of you don’t know).

    1) The biggest addition was that of the B/W style of doing contests. To sum it up, this style takes root in the anime version of contests with the coordinators battling for hearts, and by extension, points.

    2) The addition of Pokemon in the Berry Store. The Pokemon range from 20 - 80k. It’s a steep price to be sure, but you can only buy them with CC and they’re pretty much the best things you can buy. The higher ranks have requirements, but can easily be done with effort.

    3) The new Division League. This isn’t supposed to be a copy of the Gym system, it’s an addition that the top coordinators can point to and say they have those ribbons. They are there as pride markers and something for the coordinators to work towards.

    Some house keeping issues.

    1) Legends count as a tier 1 in B/ W Contest.

    2) Starting CC for coordinators are for exactly that. If you’ve only done a contest or two than you are still eligible for them. But if you’re a judge and/or have been involved in contests for a good period of time you cannot get them. This does not apply to those who restart, if you restart than you can be eligible to get so you can at least add some stats or do whatever.

    3) Division battles will now award a ribbon(s) based off the B/W method. Since the division were just released this will be retro applied. If you disagree with this point you can post that here with a reason why they shouldn’t be allowed.

    Now, we can move onto the good stuff of ideas.

    The first order of business is the idea of increasing the payout for Division battles. Why they are no means poor in terms of monetary gain, there is a valid point that the payout is equal to a normal ranked contest. It in fact pays 500cc less than a normal. Therefore I will propose that the payout will increase to:



    While the increase is substantial, I believe it’s a move that is warranted merit. The total payout for the winner is 4,500, which places it right above the amount for a Super Contest but below a Hyper Contest. It is right in the middle and fair in my mind. Discuss here.

    The second place of business is a possible expansion of the Division League. While I enjoy the idea of the league and how it works, I would like to see a champion addition to it. What the section lacks is a way to determine the best coordinator. Tournaments only showcase a moment in time and rely on luck of the draw to a certain extent. If this was to be allowed then the champion would be determined by the said person obtaining all the Division Ribbons. Once that requirement was filled then the person would be crowned champion. In order to challenge the champion one would have to beat the Division Leaders to get a chance. If the challenger failed to beat the champion then they would have to wait one month to challenge again. If the champion were to have lost then that person must wait two months if they are to regain the title. If you’re wondering about the time limit it’s because they is an absence of an elite rank, and it would be unfair to subject the Leaders to face said person all over again.



    The Pokemon is prize because of reaching that rank, it would be unfair to award them anything else. But by that same line of thought without an elite rank it is easier to attempt to get there so you don’t deserve Complex and higher as it requires less effort.

    The final additional is a special event lasting two - three months. This is not like a tournament, but is more likely the game board with some key differences. But before we delve into the details aspect of this event, you must first know what it is.

    For lack of a better name it will simply be called the ‘Token System’. It involves a very basic idea of earning tokens through contesting. You would earn tokens for every Contest that one participates in, even Division battles and tournaments. Over the course of the event you will earn the token and at the end you will be allowed to trade them in for prizes, which vary greatly. Before more is revealed about the prizes we’ll have to look at how token will be earned.



    Now that the Tokens have been placed into context we can move onto what you can trade them in for. To put it simply, they can be traded for anything in the berry store. instead of me listing what everything will cost in terms of Tokens, I’m going to provide abaci sheet so I don’t go nuts and you all will know what I’m talking about.



    All right, that is a basic system of how it would work. As you can see the Token are in additional to the CC, but more of an incentive. Remember this is not a permanent fixture, but only for a brief amount of time. Also, if you expect this to be a yearly event or something we do like every two years then you are wrong. This is simply a one-time event. Finally, you may notice this only applies to the Contest Section. It doesn’t apply to anything else if it were to be allowed.
    League of Legends SN: ATF Crysis



  2. #2
    Techno Pussy Fawkes.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Uncertain
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,392
    Trophies

    Default Re: Contest Thoughts

    The idea of a champion is pretty cool and should probably be pursued. Also more BW judges, afaik the only ones doing it are Chainreaction and ATF.

  3. #3
    Unregistered User CommBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,783
    Follow CommBA On Twitter Add CommBA on Facebook

    Default Re: Contest Thoughts

    Question about the tokens for redeeming Pokemon. Is it just the tokens to claim, or do you still need the ribbons to be able to purchase?

  4. #4
    I eat Frogs AmericanTreeFrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,403

    Default Re: Contest Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by CommBA View Post
    Question about the tokens for redeeming Pokemon. Is it just the tokens to claim, or do you still need the ribbons to be able to purchase?
    You'll just need the tokens.
    League of Legends SN: ATF Crysis



  5. #5
    pikachu in a highchair We Taste Pies...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    pikachu in a highchair
    Posts
    3,342

    Default Re: Contest Thoughts

    The contest section is not active enough for a Champion, it'll be passed around like LS's mom between 2-3 different people.

  6. #6
    URPG Moderator Monbrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,347
    Trophies

    Default Re: Contest Thoughts

    Yeah because that E4 Champion gets overthrown by like 200 different people a day...

    I like all those ideas, not sure on the tokens though. I guess as an event it works, but I worry that if it starts people contesting, then the time runs out people will feel like the incentive is gone and stop contesting again. But I can't see any harm in trying.

  7. #7
    pikachu in a highchair We Taste Pies...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    pikachu in a highchair
    Posts
    3,342

    Default Re: Contest Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by Monbrey View Post
    Yeah because that E4 Champion gets overthrown by like 200 different people a day...

    I like all those ideas, not sure on the tokens though. I guess as an event it works, but I worry that if it starts people contesting, then the time runs out people will feel like the incentive is gone and stop contesting again. But I can't see any harm in trying.
    Yeah, but the E4 prevents people from challenging the Champ immediately after beating an entire league. Not to mention, 5 divisions then a Champ sounds... well, kind of easy.

  8. #8
    Techno Pussy Fawkes.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Uncertain
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,392
    Trophies

    Default Re: Contest Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by We Taste Pies... View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Monbrey View Post
    Yeah because that E4 Champion gets overthrown by like 200 different people a day...

    I like all those ideas, not sure on the tokens though. I guess as an event it works, but I worry that if it starts people contesting, then the time runs out people will feel like the incentive is gone and stop contesting again. But I can't see any harm in trying.
    Yeah, but the E4 prevents people from challenging the Champ immediately after beating an entire league. Not to mention, 5 divisions then a Champ sounds... well, kind of easy.
    it's probably wrong if we compare it to the pokemon league champ, but call it something else then.

    As for being too easy to get, the legend defender title requires no previous awards to challenge and there isn't exactly any rush from the users to challenge. The title of 'Contest champ' will expectedly be the same, if not more, due to the need for 5 division ribbons

    Also there are only 5 divisions, which in my opinion is the perfect amount, and the leaders assigned to them now are only the initial leaders, after time maybe more experienced battlers will challenge them for the positions (not saying theres anything wrong with them now) and would ultimately make obtaining these ribbons harder.

    but you're right the main problem with the champ position is controlling the ease of achieving it
    Last edited by Fawkes.; 14th March 2012 at 08:25 AM. Reason: TYPO!

  9. #9
    Virbank Gym Leader WinterVines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,710

    Default Re: Contest Thoughts

    I'm on board for these ideas. At first I was a little iffy on the Token prices for some of the higher tier mons because I thought they'd be gotten too easy, but now I think I'm okay with it. Even if you went for highest tier (200) and lost all the BW contests you did (earning 4 tokens each time), that's still 50 contests. You'd have to do almost two a day to earn one mon. Especially because this would be an event and wouldn't last forever.

    I do agree that the Contest Division should have some sort of leader/chamption, but I'm not sure if that warrants a mon to keep because there's only 5 divisions + 1 possible Grand Master Coordinator to beat.

    Stamp of approval otherwise.
    ChainReaction 6:09 pm
    I quickly slammed the palm of my hand onto a butt
    Ranger | Grader | Ref | Curator
    AIM: WinterVines
    URPG Stats

  10. #10
    I eat Frogs AmericanTreeFrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,403

    Default Re: Contest Thoughts

    For the champion idea, comparing contests to the battling section in terms of activity is a poor measure, battling is the main part of the URPG, contests aren't. The activity in the contest section will never reach that sort of activity, and to expect that is just setting contests up for failure. As for making the challenge of reaching the champion spot harder, the only real thing we can add is either more Division leaders, or add an elite four of sorts.
    League of Legends SN: ATF Crysis



  11. #11
    pikachu in a highchair We Taste Pies...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    pikachu in a highchair
    Posts
    3,342

    Default Re: Contest Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanTreeFrog View Post
    For the champion idea, comparing contests to the battling section in terms of activity is a poor measure, battling is the main part of the URPG, contests aren't. The activity in the contest section will never reach that sort of activity, and to expect that is just setting contests up for failure. As for making the challenge of reaching the champion spot harder, the only real thing we can add is either more Division leaders, or add an elite four of sorts.
    Adding more Division leaders really won't help, imo. The real issue is that there is no kind of buffer between beating the Division Leaders and the Champ position. Thats the entire point of the Elite Four.

  12. #12
    Made in America Captain Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    715

    Default Re: Contest Thoughts

    I don't do contests because I don't know how BW Contests work but Champion is a cool idea.

  13. #13
    CAPS KidBeano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    England
    Posts
    967
    Blog Entries
    3

    Visit KidBeano's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Contest Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes. View Post
    afaik the only ones doing it are Chainreaction and ATF.
    ):

    I think a Contest Champ is a good idea - so what if it's too easy to get? As someone else said, LD doesn't even HAVE any pre-requisites. At least this you have to beat five people in battles arguably tougher than Gym battles given that they're not as restricted in their types (and being a BW contest and all).

    I also think the Token thing could be taken to more than just a one-time event, if it's received well, but I suppose that's at the discretion of the people running it.
    MORE CAPS

    ~The Artist Formerly Known As PichuBoy~

  14. #14
    URPG Moderator Monbrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,347
    Trophies

    Default Re: Contest Thoughts

    I definitely have to be against Tokens as a permanent thing, otherwise we've basically got two permanent contest currencies, both of which can be traded for basically the same stuff. CC can be used in the contest store, but can now be traded for Pokemon too. Tokens have a select list of contest goods, and can be traded for Pokemon. With a time limit, it pushes people to contest a lot, collect as many as they can and aim for those high tier Pokemon. Otherwise they can just keep contesting and claiming top tier Pokemon endlessly.

  15. #15
    pikachu in a highchair We Taste Pies...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    pikachu in a highchair
    Posts
    3,342

    Default Re: Contest Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by PichuBoy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes. View Post
    afaik the only ones doing it are Chainreaction and ATF.
    ):

    I think a Contest Champ is a good idea - so what if it's too easy to get? As someone else said, LD doesn't even HAVE any pre-requisites. At least this you have to beat five people in battles arguably tougher than Gym battles given that they're not as restricted in their types (and being a BW contest and all).

    I also think the Token thing could be taken to more than just a one-time event, if it's received well, but I suppose that's at the discretion of the people running it.
    LD isn't the highest rank in the battle section. The two aren't comparable.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •