Community Battle

Thread: Community Battle

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Default Community Battle

Just an idea I had. Basically, it's a battle where there are two equal teams. Each team has 5 or 7 people. Teams will most likely be randomized, instead of everyone making their own. It has to be an odd number of people to prevent ties on voting. Each team collaborates and they vote on what Pokemon each person uses. The 5 or 7 selected Pokemon make up that team's lineup. Then they vote on the lead. After both teams have selected their lineup and lead through vote, the actual battle begins.

Community Battle
    5 VS. 5 or 7 VS. 7
    Revolution
    Items Allowed or Not Allowed
    Sleep Clause
    Freeze Clause
    OHKO Clause
    Evasion Clause

The move a team uses every turn is also decided by vote, and the battle goes on until someone wins. By the way, all votes are private because...

There can also be a twist. There can be a mole on each team. The mole functions just like any member of that team, having a normal vote and all, except that he/she only wins if the opposing team wins, because they are secretly on that team. However, a team does not know its own mole. So, a mole can sabotage the team they are moling by voting a crappy move or telling the other team what the moled team is using (they're using Thunder Wave, so you guys should use Substitute). However, be careful! You could end up telling the other mole, who should then report back to their real team the person that is moling them. Then, they know not to talk to that person anymore in regards of voting moves. You could also fake being a mole and tell the other team: "Guys I have info, they're using Thunder Wave!", but in reality they're using Thunderbolt!

Of course, this can be done without a mole too.

So what do you think?

Moderator AceTrainer14's Avatar Forum Head
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Community Battle

It sounds pretty cool, even if it will take ages to do one battle :P But I would definitely take part in something like this

But:
    - Have you considered what prize money is?
    - I think there needs to be a way to prevent the moles from crossing paths. Like, there should be an appointed leader of the team that can't be the mole, so that person can talk to them

^^^^ The GalacticVerse Bibliography (Thanks to Blazaking for Banner) ^^^^

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AceTrainer14 View Post
    - Have you considered what prize money is?
    It's not that big of an issue. We can just say 3k goes to all winners, 1.5k to all losers. As long as everyone thinks that isn't too generous (or stingy?)

Quote Originally Posted by AceTrainer14 View Post
    - I think there needs to be a way to prevent the moles from crossing paths. Like, there should be an appointed leader of the team that can't be the mole, so that person can talk to them
    So you're saying the mole should know one person on the other team that is not the other mole? I think that is a pretty decent suggestion.
    Last edited by Pidge; 6th December 2010 at 04:32 AM.

Blog Entries
    Add MuddyMudkip on Facebook
    Follow MuddyMudkip on Tumblr Visit MuddyMudkip's Youtube Channel

This battle sounds cool, and I would most likely join if it does happen.

But you do have to consider prize money. And someone's gotta make sure that the teams are about equal in strength. Say no team can have more than two psuedo-legendaries, or even none at all.
    ..::Active URPG Ranger::..
    A Poem I Wrote
    >>learning through the downs, living for the ups<<
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai-Mei View Post
    Stuff died. Apparently Typhlosion > Chandelure.

Blog Entries

Sounds interesting :D But would the moles be appointed by someone or would people just decide themselves if they wanted to be moles?

Also what if the moles know who the other moles are so they dont cross paths? Like all the moles form a group of some sorts, and while they're in a way working together, they're also against each other since a mole only wins if the other team wins.
    R.I.P my beloved dog Lisa

Insanity is normal, whats weird is those who are still sane
    White FC: 1162 9053 3913 Black FC: 2150 7869 1755

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyMudkip View Post
    This battle sounds cool, and I would most likely join if it does happen.

But you do have to consider prize money. And someone's gotta make sure that the teams are about equal in strength. Say no team can have more than two psuedo-legendaries, or even none at all.
    More than a majority of actual members will be responsible in creating their team. Therefore, ideally, a team will be made to win. Also, common misconception: pseudolegendaries don't differ much from other Pokemon competitively!

However, instead of randomizing teams, I might make them more even by both teams having 4 newer members and 3 older players, or 5 newer members and 2 older members.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Cat320 View Post
    Sounds interesting :D But would the moles be appointed by someone or would people just decide themselves if they wanted to be moles?

Also what if the moles know who the other moles are so they dont cross paths? Like all the moles form a group of some sorts, and while they're in a way working together, they're also against each other since a mole only wins if the other team wins.
    I should of explained: the moles are (randomly) selected by the ref.

Well, it looks like the best way to make this is only 1 mole per side, so the group would be only a couple. And I think some of the complexities of the battle/game may be lost if the mole knows the other mole. I now think this too with AceTrainer's suggestion. It may be too easy for a mole to report to someone you can trust 100%. I want the mole to actually be able to do something meaningful, but not be able to easily communicate their team's move without being caught. Hmm...However, one can always fake being a mole, though... Yet, the person the mole is reporting to can trust the person over an amount of turns if they keep telling real info. Have to think about it. This is some serious Light vs L stuff (I never really finished watching the second half of that series...)!

Also, something I might of not emphasized before. Discussion is important and there may be a mandatory 1-2 minute discussion period before you can vote each turn. You can discuss what move to use and stuff. You can also try to figure out who is moling your team by what they say or don't say (like if they seem like a genuine team member or a sleazy spy!). From there, you have 30 seconds or so to get your votes in. At any moment, a player can choose to create a new chat and invite only select people.
    Last edited by Pidge; 6th December 2010 at 05:26 AM.

I like this idea. For the mole they could report to the ref who then posts in the other teams main chat with...
    "Incoming intelligence from the secret agents - 'These guys are using such and such a move.We should do do this... etc." With each new line representing a different message from any fake moles. Obviously this makes it more work for the ref bit the anonymity of the moles is retained. (Which could lead to less ragequits that this may bring about, I mean just look at all the crazy raging over the forum ffa)

Just a thought with regards to the mole. Lets say, for example, Team A agrees to use Thunder, this gets passed on to Team B who think lets switch ground Pokemon to nullify the threat. But this switch could also be passed back to Team A, who clearly wouldn't want to waste a turn. Not sure if this is a correct way of interpreting the mole and its role/power but it signifies a possible issue with it. So maybe there should be a limit as to the number of messages sent per turn to avoid this endless cycle of spying. Anyone is only allowed one/two anouncements to the ref per turn and there is time allowed toward the end of the discussion, for alterations. With the ref ultimately deciding on the time much like in FFA so just says 5 minutes to send move. Then posting just before the end of the five minutes to say the last move sent is classed as the move used.
    Last edited by Buzzer; 6th December 2010 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Making the post more legible after using posting it via Kindle.

I'm in for this please. Idea for the mole. 7 people per team.

Team A
    Trainer 1 - Team A's lead
    Trainer 2 - Team B's Mole in Team A
    Trainer 3 - Team A's Moles Contact
    Trainer 4 - Normal Trainer
    Trainer 5 - Normal Trainer
    Trainer 6 - Normal Trainer
    Trainer 7 - Normal Trainer

Team B
    Trainer 1 - Team B's lead
    Trainer 2 - Team A's Mole in Team B
    Trainer 3 - Team B's Moles Contact

Question does say, A Team Mole vote for Team A's Move or Team B's Move?

wow. Looks great, but also the mole business looks like it can get messy. I think the mole should only be able to contact with the other team through the ref so the mole can remain anonymous. Of course, any other member of the team can ask the ref to send a fake mole message to the opposition to screw with their minds and stuff
    URPG Stats

Airik 7:42 pm
    i just hope that when puberty hits he grows out of pokemon

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    I'm in for this please. Idea for the mole. 7 people per team.

Team A
    Trainer 1 - Team A's lead
    Trainer 2 - Team B's Mole in Team A
    Trainer 3 - Team A's Moles Contact

Team B
    Trainer 1 - Team B's lead
    Trainer 2 - Team A's Mole in Team B
    Trainer 3 - Team B's Moles Contact

Question does say, A Team Mole vote for Team A's Move or Team B's Move?

The mole votes with and for the team they are moling.

Ok so instead of the mole speaking to his contact, he speaks to ref who then speaks to contact.

Blog Entries

I'd like it. Just kill the mole, it hurts my eyes to read it so much and hurts my brain too.
    Also, ARGGHHH NO NO NO NO NO
    THERE ARE NO COMMUNITY BATTLES HERE
    PLEASE NO
    CALL IT SOMETHING ELSE

Blog Entries

Sounds like a good idea for a TEAM TOURNAMENT

Oh wait, how did the last one turn out again?

@_@

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Feng View Post
    Sounds like a good idea for a TEAM TOURNAMENT

Oh wait, how did the last one turn out again?

@_@
    It's not a tournament thing, although it could be. It's something that could be done live on AIM, like an FFA.